Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surely it was more than that thread... 14:41 - Jan 13 with 2173 viewsEsox_Lucius

England caps.
Stan Bowles 5
Terry Venables 2
Dave Thomas 8
Rodney Marsh 9
David Bardsley 2
Gerry Francis 12
Andy Sinton 12
for perspective, Jordan Henderson has more than all of them put together.

The grass is always greener.

Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:04 - Jan 14 with 444 viewsCamberleyR

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:36 - Jan 13 by plasmahoop

Stan was slightly before my time unfortunately, but his low number of england caps always vexed my dad. He blamed Don revie, saying he tried to get the England team like a club team, getting them playing bingo the night before. But we never qualified in 74 or 78, so something was amiss anyway

"But we never qualified in 74 or 78, so something was amiss anyway"

Scoring goals was the issue, particularly in the 1978 qualifiers. Lost out on goal difference by just three goals to the Italians. We didn't score enough against the Finns and Luxembourg, 13 goals whereas they scored 16.

It didn't help us in the 1978 qualifiers that Gerry and Colin Bell who would have been the first choice central midfield pairing, both got long term injuries within a few months of each other, Gerry only playing in the first qualifier (where he picked up his injury) and Bell getting injured before they started.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:21 - Jan 14 with 407 viewsqueensparker

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:11 - Jan 13 by Watford_Ranger

Even allowing for the wealth of strikers at the time, 17 caps for Les is scandalous.

Nick Barmby got 23.

I don't think his international career was helped by the footage of a hapless Graham Taylor bellowing "Hit Les!" as we spluttered out of the US World Cup qualifiers.

I mean, it was always a good idea, but I always thought in a lot of people's minds it put Les down as a long ball merchant.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:25 - Jan 14 with 404 viewsMyke

Surely it was more than that thread... on 17:16 - Jan 14 by TripleR

Add Phil Parkes to the list. One cap.

He was the first one I thought of when I saw the list. I thought I better scroll down to see if someone beat me to it!
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:28 - Jan 14 with 403 viewsMyke

Surely it was more than that thread... on 18:16 - Jan 14 by MedwayR

I feel we’re lacking Charlie Austin threads so...Charlie Austin 0 caps.

In fairness I thought he would get one at the end of our Prem year. Himself and Vardy were just breaking through together. Vardy got game time in the the post season friendlies, Chaz didn't and never got that close again
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:30 - Jan 14 with 399 viewsMyke

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:20 - Jan 14 by CamberleyR

"no room for flair players (not that we had that many)"

Peter Osgood
Charlie George
Rodney Marsh
Alan Hudson
Frank Worthington
Tony Currie
Stan Bowles

46 caps for that lot by the way with Currie winning seventeen of them. Stan won five caps under three different managers.

Worthington was a class striker
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:34 - Jan 14 with 394 viewsMyke

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:46 - Jan 14 by CamberleyR

The list was in no particular order, just who I thought of off the top of my head.

Amazing that Dave Thomas didn't win a single cap after 1975 and won all of his England caps in a period of just over a year. Revie seemed to like him as a player and then just dropped him like a stone.

Even after he left us in 1977 (sob..) for Everton he was still the best winger in the country by a mile. Bob Latchford must have loved playing up front with DT on the wing.

I think Latchford scored 30 league goals that season and Thomas must have provided at least 25 assists (not that there was such an 'yankee' concept at the time)
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:35 - Jan 14 with 393 viewsMyke

Great thread - Sorry guys I was just catching up!
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:39 - Jan 14 with 389 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:40 - Jan 14 by johncharles

Scandalous that these players weren’t picked, scandalous that the paying punter didn’t get a chance to see them play for their country. All down to poor managers. Dreadful managers most of the time.
Couldn’t handle maverick players no matter how talented. Blazer and tie was far more important.
Harsh on those managers ? Look what Warnock did with Adel . I rest my case.
Warnock for England !

Southgate has the perfect balance right now IMO but that includes picking Grealish in the starting 11.There is a dangerous look to this team in 2020 and if Kane and Rashford and Sterling stay healthy they will win a major competition soon I believe .
Is there any list in existence on LFW including all the International players who wore the hoops it would be surprisingly long I bet.We supplied a bit of talent back in the day.Its dried up now of course but if Eze plays well for the remainder of the season and goes to the Euros we can claim him kind of .haha
Login to get fewer ads

Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:43 - Jan 14 with 386 viewsPhilmyRs

Non English ones. Maddix, declared for Jamaica, their defence was shocking, he’s one of the best I’ve seen, hardly think he played any games for them. Thought Rowlands warranted a lot more caps for Ireland than he got too.

For England, criminal Wilson wasn’t capped and Les should have had more.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:52 - Jan 14 with 380 viewsMyke

Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:43 - Jan 14 by PhilmyRs

Non English ones. Maddix, declared for Jamaica, their defence was shocking, he’s one of the best I’ve seen, hardly think he played any games for them. Thought Rowlands warranted a lot more caps for Ireland than he got too.

For England, criminal Wilson wasn’t capped and Les should have had more.

How many caps did Mackie end up getting for Scotland?
Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:53 - Jan 14 with 379 viewsCamberleyR

I think what counted against Clive Wilson was his age. He was 30 by the time he started playing at left back for us after being an average midfielder for all his career and had never played any representative international football for any age group.

He was 31/32 by the time he was one of the country's best left backs so it was always a longshot him getting a cap even though on performances he deserved one.

Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:55 - Jan 14 with 378 viewsCamberleyR

Surely it was more than that thread... on 20:52 - Jan 14 by Myke

How many caps did Mackie end up getting for Scotland?

Nine caps and two goals.

Surely it was more than that thread... on 22:25 - Jan 14 with 344 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'd add Paul Parker to the list. 19 England caps (actually slightly more than I remember) but crucially I don't think any of them was in central defence despite being the best CB in England when he was playing for us.

Pure prejudice, based on his height, which should not have been an issue for anyone who had seen him beat Graeme Sharpe (probably best "old-fashioned" centre froward in the English game at the time) for 90 minutes every time we played Everton.

Now vaguely remembered by non-Rs as an OK full-back instead of the revolution in English defending he should have been.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024