Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BOS (again) 17:07 - Jan 15 with 44981 viewsaston_hoop

Sky Sports reporting he has agreed to join Fenerbache at the end of his contract.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

BOS (again) on 17:41 - Jan 17 with 3020 viewsessextaxiboy

BOS (again) on 17:21 - Jan 17 by ChrisNW6

Point taken.....but they have played CL football 15 out of last 20 seasons and are the best supported Turkish club. Will probably go top tomorrow night.

I dont think they have qualified for the group stages since 2014 , only the Champions qualify for that . There is Galatasaray and Besiktas to beat for a start .

He could sign for Linfield or Celtic and have the same chance if you count a game or two in the qualifiers.

My point is that I think it is a backwater. IMO he is not going to get any better , he has pace and that doesnt last .
BOS (again) on 17:44 - Jan 17 with 3001 viewsTGRRRSSS

Assume we don't get a penny - and BOS was the kind of signing that was meant to e developed and sold for profit - the problem I guess is contracts, assume as he's not from QPR originally he doesn't get a fee for development or whatever.
BOS (again) on 18:43 - Jan 17 with 2852 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 17:44 - Jan 17 by TGRRRSSS

Assume we don't get a penny - and BOS was the kind of signing that was meant to e developed and sold for profit - the problem I guess is contracts, assume as he's not from QPR originally he doesn't get a fee for development or whatever.

We do get some compensation but it won't be much, few hundred grand at most
BOS (again) on 19:33 - Jan 17 with 2740 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BOS (again) on 10:09 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Chris,

I don't think our past misdemeanours are what's strangling us financially - it's FFP and the restrictions caused by our ground and our lack of non-matchday income.

FFP no longer exists, it is now P&S. The same rules and restrictions apply to everyone. If anything covid-19 has been a minor leveller for QPR as rivals with larger attendances are not currently gaining a competitive advantage through larger gate receipts. Just look at the number of 'smaller' clubs punching above their weight - Luton, Barnsley, Coventry, to name but a few.

In any event, the FFP fine was because of our past misdemeanours. As the EFL insisted that the board suck up the fine, they decided to change tack and run the club on a shoe string; that is what is holding us back.
BOS (again) on 19:52 - Jan 17 with 2701 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BOS (again) on 18:43 - Jan 17 by daveB

We do get some compensation but it won't be much, few hundred grand at most

I don't blame BOS for trying to get the best deal for himself but I can't help thinking that he wasn't totally honest in his dealings with the club. He tried to leverage interest from Club Brugge to engineer a move to the PL. When that didn't materialise he was forced to reconsider a move abroad.

That being said, QPR haven't exactly covered themselves in glory. They took too long to realise the potential in both Manning and BOS and treated each party differently despite both wanting to leave the club. The rationale provided was that BOS will attract compensation due to his age so they will look mightily stupid if this turns out not to be the case.

As for the rest of this season, I would play BOS provided he is in form and motivated. We're in a relegation scrap and can't afford to let pride get in the way of a fall.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 19:53]
BOS (again) on 08:45 - Jan 18 with 2308 viewsbakerloo8

BOS (again) on 19:52 - Jan 17 by Benny_the_Ball

I don't blame BOS for trying to get the best deal for himself but I can't help thinking that he wasn't totally honest in his dealings with the club. He tried to leverage interest from Club Brugge to engineer a move to the PL. When that didn't materialise he was forced to reconsider a move abroad.

That being said, QPR haven't exactly covered themselves in glory. They took too long to realise the potential in both Manning and BOS and treated each party differently despite both wanting to leave the club. The rationale provided was that BOS will attract compensation due to his age so they will look mightily stupid if this turns out not to be the case.

As for the rest of this season, I would play BOS provided he is in form and motivated. We're in a relegation scrap and can't afford to let pride get in the way of a fall.

I dont think we should be playing any player that is not 100% committed to playing for us and unfortunately BOS falls into that category.
Stick him in the reserves if hes not willing to go this month, not like hes been great this season anyway and wing back defo ain't his position.
BOS (again) on 09:10 - Jan 18 with 2219 viewsdavman

BOS (again) on 08:45 - Jan 18 by bakerloo8

I dont think we should be playing any player that is not 100% committed to playing for us and unfortunately BOS falls into that category.
Stick him in the reserves if hes not willing to go this month, not like hes been great this season anyway and wing back defo ain't his position.

Agree with the sentiment, but if he honours the remainder of his contract and puts a shift in, why would we waste an asset by putting him out to rot?

Also disagree on the WB role he has had - I think it works well especially as Barbet has been naturally slipping into LB (which we can do with 3 CBs) when BOS is on an inevitable walkabout.

Rather he'd have signed, but if we can't get F'b to pay up earlier (which they do not have to do), I would keep him involved until he starts phoning it in.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

BOS (again) on 09:34 - Jan 18 with 2150 viewsBrianMcCarthy

BOS (again) on 19:33 - Jan 17 by Benny_the_Ball

FFP no longer exists, it is now P&S. The same rules and restrictions apply to everyone. If anything covid-19 has been a minor leveller for QPR as rivals with larger attendances are not currently gaining a competitive advantage through larger gate receipts. Just look at the number of 'smaller' clubs punching above their weight - Luton, Barnsley, Coventry, to name but a few.

In any event, the FFP fine was because of our past misdemeanours. As the EFL insisted that the board suck up the fine, they decided to change tack and run the club on a shoe string; that is what is holding us back.

Good points, but as of now they couldn't spend more money even if they wanted to, or we'd break the rules again.

I agree with Wegerle - a new ground would change everything. The problem is I don't trust them on the issue of the ownership of the new ground.

Edit - Wegerle.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 9:36]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

BOS (again) on 09:34 - Jan 18 with 2148 viewsfrancisbowles

BOS (again) on 19:33 - Jan 17 by Benny_the_Ball

The reason the board are trying to run the club on a shoestring is because we have to stay within current Profit and Sustainability (formerly known as FFP) rules.

We have run out of parachute payments, our income is low and therefore we have had to reduce our player costs.
BOS (again) on 09:46 - Jan 18 with 2087 viewsqprd

i rly agree with the second paragraph

theres always a tendency to blame the players for not being "loyal', whatever that means... the club will predictably feed some damage control scoops to journalists like sean gallagher saying that the player let them down and that theyre upset with bright and blah blah blah

but lets not distract ourselves on this. this is now the second promising young player who we have failed to get good value on... instead of blaming players, why dont we blame the management that allowed this happen... the management which failed to secure long term contracts, then adopted this absolutely asinine position of freezing out players unless they signed a new contract, who stupidly put these statements out there publicly and now will have to backtrack on those statements

this policy has left us worse on the pitch, where bright has clearly underachieved this season and we are forced to play with two below-average leftbacks.... but we have also left at least 5m in transfer fees on the table....

players are always selfish... other than the likes of lee cook or bircham, they always go for the most money, prestige, highest level, etc.... to expect a player to behave any differently and then try to blame the player for behaving as they always do is just a distraction from the people who actually f'ed up here
BOS (again) on 10:01 - Jan 18 with 2047 viewsgobbles

BOS (again) on 09:46 - Jan 18 by qprd

theres always a tendency to blame the players for not being "loyal', whatever that means... the club will predictably feed some damage control scoops to journalists like sean gallagher saying that the player let them down and that theyre upset with bright and blah blah blah

but lets not distract ourselves on this. this is now the second promising young player who we have failed to get good value on... instead of blaming players, why dont we blame the management that allowed this happen... the management which failed to secure long term contracts, then adopted this absolutely asinine position of freezing out players unless they signed a new contract, who stupidly put these statements out there publicly and now will have to backtrack on those statements

this policy has left us worse on the pitch, where bright has clearly underachieved this season and we are forced to play with two below-average leftbacks.... but we have also left at least 5m in transfer fees on the table....

players are always selfish... other than the likes of lee cook or bircham, they always go for the most money, prestige, highest level, etc.... to expect a player to behave any differently and then try to blame the player for behaving as they always do is just a distraction from the people who actually f'ed up here

At what point have the club let themselves down. Prior to that goal away to Birmingham last season, who was screaming the house down about BOS. Same with Manning.
Saying they took too long to realise the potential mean what exactly? You can only pick 11 players each week and the manager picks the best team to win.
Manning undoubtedly felt let down being loaned out to Rotherham, but BOS developed incredibly under Warburton.
As regards treating players differently, no onw really knows. Obviously their age made them different cases. But the implication was that Manning was up front and said that he would not sign again under any circumstances, while BOS hinted that he would. There were enough hints from people that is what they believed.
But any good manager in any line of work should treat people differently. People are individuals, different things motivate them. The key is to be consistent and fair, but as no one in here was in the room in any of the conversations with player or agent, they are at best recording third person opinions.
It seems an odd move for BOS, particularly as he turned down Bruges. It reminds me a bit of when Dichio left for Italy on a free. That didn't turn out the way he hoped, although it was a big blow to the club
BOS (again) on 10:04 - Jan 18 with 2026 viewskernowhoop

BOS (again) on 09:10 - Jan 18 by davman

Agree with the sentiment, but if he honours the remainder of his contract and puts a shift in, why would we waste an asset by putting him out to rot?

Also disagree on the WB role he has had - I think it works well especially as Barbet has been naturally slipping into LB (which we can do with 3 CBs) when BOS is on an inevitable walkabout.

Rather he'd have signed, but if we can't get F'b to pay up earlier (which they do not have to do), I would keep him involved until he starts phoning it in.

It would be nice if he did 'put a shift in', but haven't we already had a clue about his commitment? He is a smile-free zone and that is probably not good for the rest of the team. We are going to have to adjust to life without him. The sooner we get on with that, the better.
BOS (again) on 10:09 - Jan 18 with 2006 viewsbosh67

I was thinking last night that as good as some of BOS's performances have been that his goal against Birmingham was really the highlight, showing what he really could do if he put his mind to it. Don't get me wrong he has scored some skilful goals but I am struggling to think of how many assists he's really delivered given his 110 games or whatever it is.

If I had been in his boots I think at 23 I would have given myself another year or so here to really discover my full potential. It was always going to be hard to step up after Eze but he was given the perfect opportunity to do so and has really turned it down. I still think his agent will be the undoing of him in terms of what he really achieves.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

BOS (again) on 10:11 - Jan 18 with 1995 viewsbakerloo8

BOS (again) on 09:10 - Jan 18 by davman

Hes been mostly phoning it in all season tbh, not sure why hes gonna change that now and put a shift in, risking injury in the process.

No, it's time to move on. Best thing would be we get some sort of compo from Fenerbache now and they take the player immediately. Honestly cant see him in a qpr shirt again.
BOS (again) on 10:17 - Jan 18 with 1987 viewsAntti_Heinola

Interesting discussion.

To play devil's advocate, I believe Geoff Cameron's contract is up at the end of the season.

If we're not offering him a new deal (I imagine we probably won't), is the club failing to show commitment to him? If so, why should he try for us (other than pride, trying to attract other potential suitors)?

Is this not a two-way street? Why is it that it's ok for us to run down GC's contract, but not OK for BOS to run down his? Just a few months ago, Grant Hall was roundly criticised by some on here for not playing out the season in case he got injured and it scuppered a transfer. Now we have people, many of the same people I suspect, saying that BOS should not play because he won't be committed.

Not for the first time, I think with some, players can almost never win. I've said this a few times on here, but it's funny how if a player not in the first team runs their contract down they're a parasite, but if they are in the first team and run it down (even the phrase 'run it down' is pejorative - how dare someone stick to their contract that both parties willingly signed?!) then they're a scumbag only out for the money?

Bare bones.

BOS (again) on 10:19 - Jan 18 with 1982 viewsdaveB

There is no doubt the club deserve criticism for that McClaren year, waste a year of Bright, Manning, Smyth and Chair playing elsewhere so when we got to the summer to renew those deals for Manning and Bright with 2 years left neither were that keen to stay

It's a difficult balance though. Look at the criticism the club get now for giving Niko half a season at left back when he's possibly not good enough and giving Dykes, Wilock etc a run in the side rather than more established players, if we had left those 2 and others out in favour of more experienced ones would that not have been the same thing they did wrong under McClaren?
BOS (again) on 10:24 - Jan 18 with 1962 viewsterryb

BOS (again) on 09:46 - Jan 18 by qprd

I think you should also point out, countering this argument, that not one bid was made by a Premier League club for either player.

Maybe, just maybe, neither player is rated that highly within the game?
BOS (again) on 10:30 - Jan 18 with 1930 viewsbakerloo8

BOS (again) on 10:17 - Jan 18 by Antti_Heinola

Interesting discussion.

To play devil's advocate, I believe Geoff Cameron's contract is up at the end of the season.

If we're not offering him a new deal (I imagine we probably won't), is the club failing to show commitment to him? If so, why should he try for us (other than pride, trying to attract other potential suitors)?

Is this not a two-way street? Why is it that it's ok for us to run down GC's contract, but not OK for BOS to run down his? Just a few months ago, Grant Hall was roundly criticised by some on here for not playing out the season in case he got injured and it scuppered a transfer. Now we have people, many of the same people I suspect, saying that BOS should not play because he won't be committed.

Not for the first time, I think with some, players can almost never win. I've said this a few times on here, but it's funny how if a player not in the first team runs their contract down they're a parasite, but if they are in the first team and run it down (even the phrase 'run it down' is pejorative - how dare someone stick to their contract that both parties willingly signed?!) then they're a scumbag only out for the money?

I dont reallybunderstand your point. We as qpr fans will almost always take the clubs side because in the end the players all come and go but we will still be here supporting the club.
If the club decide to run down someone's contract (like cameron) then that's up to us and no reason to believe a consummate professional like Geoff would phone in performances in case it hinders a potential move at season end.
BOS is a good player, and in an ideal world hed sign for 5 years and everything would be rosy - But he didnt, He chose to not sign a new contract and sign pre contract with fenerbache. Has no future here, doesn't want to be here, has phoned in plenty of performances already this season. Why should he play?
BOS (again) on 10:37 - Jan 18 with 1895 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Is it not exhausting being perpetually fcking angry all the time?
BOS (again) on 10:43 - Jan 18 with 1870 viewsNorthernr

BOS (again) on 10:01 - Jan 18 by gobbles

At what point have the club let themselves down. Prior to that goal away to Birmingham last season, who was screaming the house down about BOS. Same with Manning.
Saying they took too long to realise the potential mean what exactly? You can only pick 11 players each week and the manager picks the best team to win.
Manning undoubtedly felt let down being loaned out to Rotherham, but BOS developed incredibly under Warburton.
As regards treating players differently, no onw really knows. Obviously their age made them different cases. But the implication was that Manning was up front and said that he would not sign again under any circumstances, while BOS hinted that he would. There were enough hints from people that is what they believed.
But any good manager in any line of work should treat people differently. People are individuals, different things motivate them. The key is to be consistent and fair, but as no one in here was in the room in any of the conversations with player or agent, they are at best recording third person opinions.
It seems an odd move for BOS, particularly as he turned down Bruges. It reminds me a bit of when Dichio left for Italy on a free. That didn't turn out the way he hoped, although it was a big blow to the club

The irritating thing for me with BOS is even when McClaren wasn't picking him, the senior management above him knew he was a good player, knew what potential he had, and were very annoyed at his lack of minutes. There was real anger after Middlesbrough A, for instance, where we'd lost 2-0, Bright had only come on at half time and was MOTM. They should have backed their judgement and renewed him, rather than going along with whatever the chump of the moment thought at that time. What manager wants manager gets does not work at QPR.

Weirdly, they've had no such qualms about renewing Shodipo over and over again, despite none of the last three managers rating him.

BOS is a fck up, whichever way it's sliced it's a fck up. You've bought a player you thought might develop into a sellable asset, he has developed into a sellable asset, but you can't sell him because you neglected to renew his contract because a manager that you employed on the whim of one of the owners didn't rate him.
BOS (again) on 10:52 - Jan 18 with 1833 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 10:43 - Jan 18 by Northernr

The irritating thing for me with BOS is even when McClaren wasn't picking him, the senior management above him knew he was a good player, knew what potential he had, and were very annoyed at his lack of minutes. There was real anger after Middlesbrough A, for instance, where we'd lost 2-0, Bright had only come on at half time and was MOTM. They should have backed their judgement and renewed him, rather than going along with whatever the chump of the moment thought at that time. What manager wants manager gets does not work at QPR.

Weirdly, they've had no such qualms about renewing Shodipo over and over again, despite none of the last three managers rating him.

BOS is a fck up, whichever way it's sliced it's a fck up. You've bought a player you thought might develop into a sellable asset, he has developed into a sellable asset, but you can't sell him because you neglected to renew his contract because a manager that you employed on the whim of one of the owners didn't rate him.

With Bright they did offer him a big pay rise and an extension at least 18 months before his deal ran out which is pretty standard. Would he have signed if offered 6 months earlier when he wasn't in the team? I have my doubts especially when you see how it's played out as his agent clearly had no intention of agreeing a new deal.

Shodipo usually gets a year extension each time and he has no other obvious options so don't think the Bright situation is comparable.
BOS (again) on 10:54 - Jan 18 with 1819 viewsWatford_Ranger

BOS (again) on 10:43 - Jan 18 by Northernr

There’s a good chance I’m mixing up my QPR players/managers but didn’t bloody El Khayatti get picked over him for ages?

Edit- they didn’t overlap. Can’t remember what dross it was now.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 10:55]
BOS (again) on 10:56 - Jan 18 with 1803 viewsNorthernr

BOS (again) on 10:52 - Jan 18 by daveB

With Bright they did offer him a big pay rise and an extension at least 18 months before his deal ran out which is pretty standard. Would he have signed if offered 6 months earlier when he wasn't in the team? I have my doubts especially when you see how it's played out as his agent clearly had no intention of agreeing a new deal.

Shodipo usually gets a year extension each time and he has no other obvious options so don't think the Bright situation is comparable.

IMHO if you'd offered him a new deal towards the end of 2018/19 he'd have snapped your hand off.

"Big pay rise" is stretching it a bit too. More, sure, but...

This post has been edited by an administrator
BOS (again) on 11:02 - Jan 18 with 1763 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 10:56 - Jan 18 by Northernr

IMHO if you'd offered him a new deal towards the end of 2018/19 he'd have snapped your hand off.

"Big pay rise" is stretching it a bit too. More, sure, but...

This post has been edited by an administrator

We'll never know but as a comparison Chair and Eze both signed new deals 18/20 months before theirs ran out and there was no criticism of the club for waiting that long to get those deals done.

The mistake for me was the McClaren season, wasted a years development and a chance to have those 5 kids playing together for a year and having a real go in the 19/20 season.
BOS (again) on 11:08 - Jan 18 with 1733 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 10:54 - Jan 18 by Watford_Ranger

There’s a good chance I’m mixing up my QPR players/managers but didn’t bloody El Khayatti get picked over him for ages?

Edit- they didn’t overlap. Can’t remember what dross it was now.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 10:55]

It was Freeman or Pawel playing wide most of the time under McClaren
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024