Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Central London - just back 15:55 - Jan 26 with 8862 viewsBlackCrowe

Cycled along Portland Place, Oxford St, Regent St, Piccadilly Circus etc this morning. Utterly deserted, post-apocalyptic city. Made me sad.

Half expected to see dozen or so Daleks coming up the Strand.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Central London - just back on 16:02 - Jan 26 with 3697 viewsBklynRanger

Yeah, throughly depressing.

Got an uber down to Denmark Hill 2 weekends ago through central London. Came back and very much suspended any Dry January efforts for the rest of the day.

Seeing all these places where things used to happen...

I think we're gradually getting through it but tough times.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 16:31]
Central London - just back on 16:25 - Jan 26 with 3571 viewsted_hendrix

Went into Wantage this morning, first time I've noticed this but virtually everyone was wearing masks in the street, like I say I've never witnessed that before.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Central London - just back on 16:32 - Jan 26 with 3535 viewstimcocking

I feel guilty for saying it, because it's obviously an absolute catastrophe for almost all of the locals where i am, but having no tourists around whatsoever, it's so much nicer than usual here, all of the beaches are completely deserted.
Central London - just back on 16:44 - Jan 26 with 3515 viewsNorthernr

Very interesting what happens to the middle of cities in general after this.

My day job is based in a big open plan office in EC2A near Liverpool street, and that job involves talking to lots of television broadcasters, production companies and distributors on exactly how they're coping with this and what they think business will look like on the other side. To a man/woman, both at my company and the ones we talk to in interviews, they're saying the 'culture of presenteeism' (sorry, wnky TV term) is over. The idea that you're not at work unless you're at work, that the day is 9 to 5, that if you're not at your desk, in an expensive office, in the middle of London, then you're skiving. That's over.

Stuff you're watching on television now was edited at home back in April and May - mostly programmes about Devon and fcking Cornwall because they could still film there. Production companies, basically in one week in March, flipped from having big central London offices full of edit suites, to having editors sitting at home communicating with each other on Zoom. If you can do television production at home, you can certainly staff a call centre, or a recruitment firm, or an insurance business. One of my mates is an investment banker, now has a big Bloomberg terminal in the corner of his living room, hasn't been to the office for months.

It will be flexible working, flexible hours, downsizing on office space, reducing travel moving forwards. It's cheaper, it's better for the einvironment, it's better for parents, it's better for you health, and so on and on. I aint going back to the office five days a week. No way. Pay £200+ a month to cram myself into the Northern Line, or cycle down our deathtrap roads in the dark depths of winter, no fcking way. I've shown my company I'm actrually more productive at home. I'll do 3 days one week and 2 the next, or something like that.

What that means for city centres though, and things like TFL's revenues, chains of sandwich shops, businesses that rely on several million people people dragging their arse into a few square miles every day, will be interesting/terrifying.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Central London - just back on 16:50 - Jan 26 with 3475 viewsSimonJames

Central London - just back on 16:44 - Jan 26 by Northernr

My day job is based in a big open plan office in EC2A near Liverpool street, and that job involves talking to lots of television broadcasters, production companies and distributors on exactly how they're coping with this and what they think business will look like on the other side. To a man/woman, both at my company and the ones we talk to in interviews, they're saying the 'culture of presenteeism' (sorry, wnky TV term) is over. The idea that you're not at work unless you're at work, that the day is 9 to 5, that if you're not at your desk, in an expensive office, in the middle of London, then you're skiving. That's over.

Stuff you're watching on television now was edited at home back in April and May - mostly programmes about Devon and fcking Cornwall because they could still film there. Production companies, basically in one week in March, flipped from having big central London offices full of edit suites, to having editors sitting at home communicating with each other on Zoom. If you can do television production at home, you can certainly staff a call centre, or a recruitment firm, or an insurance business. One of my mates is an investment banker, now has a big Bloomberg terminal in the corner of his living room, hasn't been to the office for months.

It will be flexible working, flexible hours, downsizing on office space, reducing travel moving forwards. It's cheaper, it's better for the einvironment, it's better for parents, it's better for you health, and so on and on. I aint going back to the office five days a week. No way. Pay £200+ a month to cram myself into the Northern Line, or cycle down our deathtrap roads in the dark depths of winter, no fcking way. I've shown my company I'm actrually more productive at home. I'll do 3 days one week and 2 the next, or something like that.

What that means for city centres though, and things like TFL's revenues, chains of sandwich shops, businesses that rely on several million people people dragging their arse into a few square miles every day, will be interesting/terrifying.

I can't help thinking that companies will start off with good intentions, but over the course of 4-5 years will drift back to a culture of presenteeism.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Central London - just back on 16:53 - Jan 26 with 3460 viewsrobith

An addendum to that post though Clive - in essence my work have offset their rent, internet and utilities costs off onto me for a year. Now I'm a big boy, but a lot of younger staff I've spoken to are really struggling with bills ballooning
Central London - just back on 16:54 - Jan 26 with 3445 viewsAntti_Heinola

After all this, at the very least i actually think all companies that can should be telling people to work at home minimum one day a week (not everyone on Fridays!), preferably two or even three.
It will make everywhere a better place to live. And as you say - no excuses at all.

Bare bones.

Central London - just back on 16:59 - Jan 26 with 3429 viewsJuzzie

Central London - just back on 16:53 - Jan 26 by robith

An addendum to that post though Clive - in essence my work have offset their rent, internet and utilities costs off onto me for a year. Now I'm a big boy, but a lot of younger staff I've spoken to are really struggling with bills ballooning

Just sold my flat which is in zone 2. Think I got it sold just at the right time, another few months and maybe it would be less sellable or at least for a lower price than 18 months ago even though it's slap bang opposite a tube station, what's the point if no one is using the tube.

The estate agent told me that in that area there are usually around 80-100 flats on the letting market (across all estate agents) at any one time. Last autumn there was over 250.

What with Brexit and now covid demand for zone 2 property is on the decline. Suburbs going up. Why have a small 2 bed flat when you're working from home and for the same price you can get a 2-3 bed house in the 'burbs with a small-medium garden and if you're really lucky, maybe even a driveway/parking place.
Login to get fewer ads

Central London - just back on 17:01 - Jan 26 with 3410 viewstoboboly

Central London - just back on 16:53 - Jan 26 by robith

They need to apply for a tax break and at least they get some of it back. Easy to do too;

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Central London - just back on 17:06 - Jan 26 with 3388 viewsBlackCrowe

I'll be doing two days a week from home once all this crap is over, but i wouldn't want to do much more than that - i miss people, and rhubarb of office noise, chats, crap jokes etc.

London and every major city will have to reinvent themselves. Office space will be over supplied by at least a third i reckon, which hopefully opens it up to affordable housing and council tenants, that could certainly be a positive.

Certainly over supplied on coffee shops and sandwich bars too in the centre. Restaurants and pubs could get through this as long the tourist trade returns robustly eventually.

Shopping - with the decline of the (mostly bland/miserable) high street chains, i am hoping the age of the independent retailer.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Central London - just back on 17:22 - Jan 26 with 3318 viewsbakerloo8

If it is as profitable for companies to employ workers from home and work online and on zoom etc, then surely this is terrible news as what is to stop companies outsourcing all this WFH to countries where labour is so much cheaper.

Bad bad road to go down in my opinion.
Central London - just back on 17:24 - Jan 26 with 3304 viewsBklynRanger

These completely fair replies also highlight a major issue: our work has become our life. Laptops lying around, desks in the bedroom, people replying to emails at all hours of the day and night.

Whatever new ways of working we end up with something has got to be done about that. It's fcuked.
Central London - just back on 17:39 - Jan 26 with 3221 viewsloftboy

I deliver from Sainsbury’s online depot in Bow, pre lockdown on a Monday morning at least 60/100 of our vans would head off to the square mile solely delivering to the square mile, some of the companies would have 30/40 tubs of basically snacks and milk, in the last 12 months I have delivered to just two offices, our vans are now mainly doing residential and as a result we are doing at least ten more deliveries each, some of our vans were running at a loss due to the low value of what these companies ordered now each van is making a profit.
Another problem when (or if) the offices return will be the road in closure now in place in Bishopsgate as our vans won’t physically be able to reach them!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Central London - just back on 17:41 - Jan 26 with 3205 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Yes this essentially. Rightly or wrongly this is the way it will certainly go for many roles that were previously office based. I changed jobs in the summer, started the new one (from home) in November but my previous company employed over 55k worldwide. They have categorically stated none of the staff will ever go back to the office 5 days a week ever again. They've saved millions on travel and expenses alone, factor in the inevitable downsizing of floor space and they're laughing. And that's just ONE city firm, I know of dozens who intend to adopt the same plan. Even Lloyds of London confirmed a couple of weeks ago they'll be entering into a consultation as to how the building will be used in the future, going as far as intimating it would be one almighty coffee shop with a few 'creative hub' spaces dotted about or some such b0llox.

Truth is there's absolutely no reason whatsoever I need to go in 5 days a week and from a personal, completely selfish point of view I'm saving £5K a year in travel and not having to get up at 5.30 - 6.00 to be in the office for 7.30 so I'm all in. That said, the truth as ever lies somewhere in the middle and for the sake of sanity would be gutted if I was stuck here permanently. Couple of days a week suits me sir.
Central London - just back on 17:49 - Jan 26 with 3165 viewshantssi

Perhaps they can convert the offices into living accommodation?
Our local town is like a ghost town after about 5pm, go to France or Italy where people still actually live in town centres above shops the places come alive at night, cafes, bars and restaurants all open and all doing good business.
Shops also stay open until late as people are out and about, would certainly make up for the odd coffee shop/sandwich bar closing.
Central London - just back on 17:49 - Jan 26 with 3162 viewssimmo

Whilst I broadly agree with this and think that any company that wasn't flexible with remote working will be a lot more so after this - they have to be - the very best companies to work for and learn from will still have fixed offices and operate a mix of the two. Most forward thinking companies were doing this anyway (including yours).

Not to get too recruitment wánky, but you can't create and maintain an above-average office culture pure remote, it's impossible. You can't learn as fast or as broad remotely either. In a remote only environment you're only speaking to and working with those within your immediate area and for pre-arranged meetings to cover something specific, you'll never get above functional. That's aside from the personal relationships that develop, meaning that in the right companies you end up working just as hard for other people as you do for yourself.

It's especially relevant in industries that require social personalities and knowledge sharing. Put 100 like-minded people on an office floor and it becomes a cycle of learning and development that carries into your work externally too. That's doesn't happen if things become too insular.

Personally I can't wait to get back in the office through most of the week and I'll be delighted if the commute and London generally is a little less busy and more hygiene conscious

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Central London - just back on 17:52 - Jan 26 with 3151 viewsNorthernr

Central London - just back on 17:49 - Jan 26 by simmo

Whilst I broadly agree with this and think that any company that wasn't flexible with remote working will be a lot more so after this - they have to be - the very best companies to work for and learn from will still have fixed offices and operate a mix of the two. Most forward thinking companies were doing this anyway (including yours).

Not to get too recruitment wánky, but you can't create and maintain an above-average office culture pure remote, it's impossible. You can't learn as fast or as broad remotely either. In a remote only environment you're only speaking to and working with those within your immediate area and for pre-arranged meetings to cover something specific, you'll never get above functional. That's aside from the personal relationships that develop, meaning that in the right companies you end up working just as hard for other people as you do for yourself.

It's especially relevant in industries that require social personalities and knowledge sharing. Put 100 like-minded people on an office floor and it becomes a cycle of learning and development that carries into your work externally too. That's doesn't happen if things become too insular.

Personally I can't wait to get back in the office through most of the week and I'll be delighted if the commute and London generally is a little less busy and more hygiene conscious

Yeh it'll be hybrid. And the stuff you talk about protects against the fear of Bakerloo above ^.
But Monday to Friday 9-5 is over, for the foreseeable, and it'll be interesting to see what that does to city centres.
Central London - just back on 17:53 - Jan 26 with 3146 viewsDorse

All of this is ignoring the central issue from the OP, namely, where are the Daleks? I, for one, do not wish to be surprised and sink-plunged against my will.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Central London - just back on 17:53 - Jan 26 with 3145 viewssimmo

One change I do think/hope will come is there will be less need to have to live in an easily commutable distance, so zone 1-2 will matter a lot less. If you only go in the office 3 days a week and don't have to commute during rush hour, what does it matter as much if you're living further away?

Hopefully this means residential costs in C London come down, because if I'm spending an extra 48 hours a week at home, I'm going to prioritise that over living 10 stops from my office

Central London - just back on 18:00 - Jan 26 with 3099 viewssimmo

Central London - just back on 17:52 - Jan 26 by Northernr

Yeh it'll be hybrid. And the stuff you talk about protects against the fear of Bakerloo above ^.
But Monday to Friday 9-5 is over, for the foreseeable, and it'll be interesting to see what that does to city centres.

100%. Mon-Fri 9-5 was over for most industries anyway, but this situation has forced all the old school business owners to make it work remote, and now everybody knows it can be done, they won't go back.

The number 1 question from candidates even pre-covid was about remote working and flex hours, we lost people for not guaranteeting enough of it. I remember how much your job improved exponentially when they changed the required office hours. The evidence has always been there but most companies were too cynical - now the choice is taken away from them and that's a good thing - (unless you're Pret a Manger)

Central London - just back on 18:07 - Jan 26 with 3072 viewsBoston

Central London - just back on 16:50 - Jan 26 by SimonJames

I can't help thinking that companies will start off with good intentions, but over the course of 4-5 years will drift back to a culture of presenteeism.

Absolutely, lot more difficult to attend drink and drug fuelled extra marital sex parties if you’re broadcasting from the garden shed.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 18:08]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Central London - just back on 18:07 - Jan 26 with 3069 viewsrobith

Central London - just back on 16:59 - Jan 26 by Juzzie

Just sold my flat which is in zone 2. Think I got it sold just at the right time, another few months and maybe it would be less sellable or at least for a lower price than 18 months ago even though it's slap bang opposite a tube station, what's the point if no one is using the tube.

The estate agent told me that in that area there are usually around 80-100 flats on the letting market (across all estate agents) at any one time. Last autumn there was over 250.

What with Brexit and now covid demand for zone 2 property is on the decline. Suburbs going up. Why have a small 2 bed flat when you're working from home and for the same price you can get a 2-3 bed house in the 'burbs with a small-medium garden and if you're really lucky, maybe even a driveway/parking place.

Our contract on our current place has expired - the landlord says they do want to renew, they're just having a beef with current letting agents and wants us to renew but doesn't know who they'll use yet.

But as probably a renter for the rest of my life, it feels like the pendulum has swung back to us ever so slightly. I cba to move, but for the first time I'm not afraid cos rents are down everywhere. Some of my pals' landlord told them they wanted to put the rent up mid last year and they just told them to sling it, and got a bigger place for the same cash. Original landlord was begging them to stay by the end. It's amazing to not be in total fear of your accommodation being wrought from you and having to pay more
Central London - just back on 18:10 - Jan 26 with 3052 viewsSuperhoop83

Central London - just back on 18:00 - Jan 26 by simmo

100%. Mon-Fri 9-5 was over for most industries anyway, but this situation has forced all the old school business owners to make it work remote, and now everybody knows it can be done, they won't go back.

The number 1 question from candidates even pre-covid was about remote working and flex hours, we lost people for not guaranteeting enough of it. I remember how much your job improved exponentially when they changed the required office hours. The evidence has always been there but most companies were too cynical - now the choice is taken away from them and that's a good thing - (unless you're Pret a Manger)

Agree with you and Clive.

The top dog at my firm is doing his nut as he has to have a team of support staff around him, he doesn't trust people to work at home and he is also our landlord!

Hybrid working is the future for almost all office work.

Suffering since 1978.

Central London - just back on 18:11 - Jan 26 with 3045 viewsjoe90

I work in the civil service and we're all working from home. We coincidentally moved office last year and have purposely downsized. That was actually decision to made before the pandemic. In addition fewer jobs are going to be advertised as London based.

I use to really enjoy working in central London. There was a real buzz about it, especially in summer. I use to really enjoy having a few pints after work and going to see Rangers mid-week. I know being in a crowded city isn't for everyone, but I didn't mind it, that said I don't miss the commute!
Central London - just back on 18:16 - Jan 26 with 3012 viewssimmo

Central London - just back on 18:11 - Jan 26 by joe90

I work in the civil service and we're all working from home. We coincidentally moved office last year and have purposely downsized. That was actually decision to made before the pandemic. In addition fewer jobs are going to be advertised as London based.

I use to really enjoy working in central London. There was a real buzz about it, especially in summer. I use to really enjoy having a few pints after work and going to see Rangers mid-week. I know being in a crowded city isn't for everyone, but I didn't mind it, that said I don't miss the commute!

Exactly the same as you, I really liked working in central and having lots of options for lunch or post-work beer. When I was jon hunting in 2019 I checked google maps for the commute from my house to my new office, and then again from the office to Loftus Road/Crown & Sceptre for the weeknight games - almost took a role in Notting Hill Gate on that basis

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024