Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The evil weed 21:57 - Mar 16 with 2548 viewsBlackCrowe

Swapped smoking for vaping 6 years ago and apart from health aspect, thank the lord i did. Girl at work told me earlier that it's £14.50 for a pack of 20 Marlboro Lights. 73p a fag?
WTF. How do people actually afford the habit.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The evil weed on 22:28 - Mar 16 with 1958 viewsLogman

I guess it equates to the same kick that you get from a cup of coffee which people are prepared to pay £3 for in Starbucks so there is your answer. Personally I do a few Lavazzas at home during the day and then the equivalent of half a bottle of wine at night so probably spending about £5 a day on my stimulants.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2021 22:28]
The evil weed on 22:29 - Mar 16 with 1947 viewsBoston

S'funny, when I was a kid it was the normal thing to offer a smoke to your drinking companions.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The evil weed on 22:32 - Mar 16 with 1944 viewsloftboy

The evil weed on 22:28 - Mar 16 by Logman

I guess it equates to the same kick that you get from a cup of coffee which people are prepared to pay £3 for in Starbucks so there is your answer. Personally I do a few Lavazzas at home during the day and then the equivalent of half a bottle of wine at night so probably spending about £5 a day on my stimulants.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2021 22:28]

If I bet people don’t buy 20 cups a day from Starbucks, used to work with a bloke that smoked 60,finished one lit another straight up, this was back early 2000’s he gave up one day without any help or patches, never had a day off sick hardly but for two weeks after his last fag he was off for a fortnight with a and chest, sweating and shakes, full on cold Turkey, bumped into him last year and he’s still not smoking so fair play to him.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The evil weed on 23:18 - Mar 16 with 1868 viewsCLAREMAN1995

The evil weed on 22:32 - Mar 16 by loftboy

If I bet people don’t buy 20 cups a day from Starbucks, used to work with a bloke that smoked 60,finished one lit another straight up, this was back early 2000’s he gave up one day without any help or patches, never had a day off sick hardly but for two weeks after his last fag he was off for a fortnight with a and chest, sweating and shakes, full on cold Turkey, bumped into him last year and he’s still not smoking so fair play to him.

Fair play to him and with covid trying to get into any damaged or even healthy it was a great decision.
The evil weed on 23:22 - Mar 16 with 1855 viewsSydneyRs

My dad used to get through 2 or 3 packs a day. Sacked it off when the health warnings started to really get publicised in TV ads etc and didn't seem to have much trouble doing it.

I was only ever a social smoker in the pub and largely scabbed off proper smoker mates. My now wife didn't like me smoking when we started seeing each other so I finished the duty frees I had left and gave up.

Very expensive here in Oz too, and you can't really smoke anywhere. Not sure why anyone bothers any more.
The evil weed on 23:23 - Mar 16 with 1852 viewsSimonJames

I smoked roll ups for 22 years - really nice untreated tobacco mailed to me directly from a farm in Virginia.
Fifteen years since I stopped but still do miss it sometimes.

100% of people who drink water will die.

The evil weed on 23:26 - Mar 16 with 1840 viewsBoston

The evil weed on 23:23 - Mar 16 by SimonJames

I smoked roll ups for 22 years - really nice untreated tobacco mailed to me directly from a farm in Virginia.
Fifteen years since I stopped but still do miss it sometimes.

What were you in for?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The evil weed on 01:01 - Mar 17 with 1763 viewsDavieQPR

I started smoking at 16 and gave it up 6 years ago when I was 66. Do vape but not one of those that send messages to Red Indians. Also use a tobacco flavour as I wasn't trying to give up Fruit Salads. Also smoke vape like a cigar and don't fully inhale. So it is never too late people.
Login to get fewer ads

The evil weed on 04:14 - Mar 17 with 1730 viewsstowmarketrange

I used to smoke about 40 a day during the week,but that went to at least 60 a day at weekends.I used to smoke the stronger brands like camels or chesterfields.Even Marlboro were good.I used to smoke more than most people around me so I used to get my packet out very often,and of course everyone would take a bensons or a dunhill.The deckers wouldn’t touch the stronger brands,so that’s why I started on them.I packed up in June 1986.I went to work one day and left them behind on purpose and haven’t had one since.
I do wonder why people still do it now as it’s very antisocial,and very expensive.I was brought up with smokers in the house constantly,but that hasn’t been the case with my 3 children,so they never got used to seeing people smoking.
Hopefully ours is the last mass smoking generation.
The evil weed on 08:47 - Mar 17 with 1573 views2Thomas2Bowles

Think I had my first fag around 11
Both parents smoked as did most adults, it was normal.

Home, Pubs, Clubs. Bus, tube, Work, Football, you could smoke anywhere.

Even after my first heart attack 5 years ago I still smoked, up to 40 a day.

Vaping is the only thing that worked for me but took some time to get the right set up for me but not smoked for 3 years now and would never smoke again.

I do not believe Vaping is a gateway to smoking, simple on cost, it's not.

Yes, the cost also played a big part in giving up, never thought much about the cost till it got up to £7/8 a packet.

Vaping is a habit in itself, a lot of rubbish being sold, you do need to spend a bit on a good set up and good Liquid or it will be very frustrating, it's not just like buying a packet of fag and it works, and can quickly give up on it as I have seen a lot of people do, "oh It makes me cough" well so did smoking when you first start.

Vaping is not the same as smoking, same as gum or patches is not, need to stick with it for a few months.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 9:06]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The evil weed on 08:51 - Mar 17 with 1573 viewsMrSheen

The evil weed on 04:14 - Mar 17 by stowmarketrange

I used to smoke about 40 a day during the week,but that went to at least 60 a day at weekends.I used to smoke the stronger brands like camels or chesterfields.Even Marlboro were good.I used to smoke more than most people around me so I used to get my packet out very often,and of course everyone would take a bensons or a dunhill.The deckers wouldn’t touch the stronger brands,so that’s why I started on them.I packed up in June 1986.I went to work one day and left them behind on purpose and haven’t had one since.
I do wonder why people still do it now as it’s very antisocial,and very expensive.I was brought up with smokers in the house constantly,but that hasn’t been the case with my 3 children,so they never got used to seeing people smoking.
Hopefully ours is the last mass smoking generation.

I wish you were right about the last part. My Dad used to smoke 60 a day, though he did quit for the last 15 years of his life. I'm not sure if it was his chronic bronchitis, or my annoyance at being sent round the corner so often for 20 Embassies, but I never did apart from a two week attempt as a student poseur. However, my brother and both my sisters did, and occasionally still do - and I'm the only one of us who is half-way fit. But my three kids all smoke, though limited by cost and public restrictions, despite (because?) of having all the risks hammered into them from an early age. My asthmatic (!) son has just bought a vape to cut the cost of his rollies. My own theory is that the effective prohibition on them buying alcohol legally as teens leads them into smoking dope which is freely available by comparison, and smoking becomes a regular pastime - dope is a gateway drug for tobacco, rather than the other way round.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 8:53]
The evil weed on 08:57 - Mar 17 with 1551 viewsMetallica_Hoop

30g of Amber Leaf is the way forward.

'Normal' ciggies are too expensive and apart from Marb' reds tast like shit.

I have a vape it works, I don't smoke for 1/2 days then decide to have a ciggie.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The evil weed on 12:26 - Mar 17 with 1409 viewsToast_R

My father in law smoked for 50 years 40 a day. Was in denial about his health. Breathing difficulties, long coughing fits to the point he'd turn blue before finally catching his breath, gave himself multiple hernias from those but he'd still keep buying them. Finally gave up when he found out his first grand son was on the way.

The NHS were a huge help, got him checked out, diagnosed him with COPD, gave him all the support and medication he needed to stay off them. Sadly the damage he's already caused to his lungs is irreversible and he'll no doubt end up using an oxygen cylinder soon enough.
The evil weed on 12:28 - Mar 17 with 1407 viewsQPRSteve

Started smoking when I was 14 and gave up three years ago when I was 63. Couldn't believe how easy it was to stop. However, since I gave up my legs have steadily deteriorated to the extent that I need one of those walkers to get around. Been waiting 18 months now just to see a consultant, but I guess I don't need one to tell me it's smoking related. Will probably need some stents put in my leges but god knows how long I will have to wait for that, what with Covid buggering everything up. Now wish I had given up years ago.
The evil weed on 12:36 - Mar 17 with 1391 viewsqueensparker

The evil weed on 08:51 - Mar 17 by MrSheen

I wish you were right about the last part. My Dad used to smoke 60 a day, though he did quit for the last 15 years of his life. I'm not sure if it was his chronic bronchitis, or my annoyance at being sent round the corner so often for 20 Embassies, but I never did apart from a two week attempt as a student poseur. However, my brother and both my sisters did, and occasionally still do - and I'm the only one of us who is half-way fit. But my three kids all smoke, though limited by cost and public restrictions, despite (because?) of having all the risks hammered into them from an early age. My asthmatic (!) son has just bought a vape to cut the cost of his rollies. My own theory is that the effective prohibition on them buying alcohol legally as teens leads them into smoking dope which is freely available by comparison, and smoking becomes a regular pastime - dope is a gateway drug for tobacco, rather than the other way round.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 8:53]

"dope as the gateway drug for tobacco"

That was the case for me - never smoked a single fag unlike 100% of my mates until I got into weed around age 19 and then ended up smoking rollups, then Silk Cuts, then 20+ a day Marlboros for about 20 years.

Vaping definitely helped me stop, but I'm now addicted to the vape instead in my mid 40s. I'd be wary about wholeheartedly recommending vaping - it's definitely better for you and cheaper, but it's also very easy to do it all day long (especially at the moment) which means you've still got a fierce nicotine addiction going on which isn't good for your heart / circulation etc. I wish I'd just gone cold turkey in the first place
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 12:38]
The evil weed on 12:55 - Mar 17 with 1337 views2Thomas2Bowles

The evil weed on 12:36 - Mar 17 by queensparker

"dope as the gateway drug for tobacco"

That was the case for me - never smoked a single fag unlike 100% of my mates until I got into weed around age 19 and then ended up smoking rollups, then Silk Cuts, then 20+ a day Marlboros for about 20 years.

Vaping definitely helped me stop, but I'm now addicted to the vape instead in my mid 40s. I'd be wary about wholeheartedly recommending vaping - it's definitely better for you and cheaper, but it's also very easy to do it all day long (especially at the moment) which means you've still got a fierce nicotine addiction going on which isn't good for your heart / circulation etc. I wish I'd just gone cold turkey in the first place
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 12:38]

You may have already but try cutting the nic down bit by bit I started on 18mg now on 3mg, it's more about the hand to mouth than the nic now, that'ss the bugger to stop.

And I do like my hazelnut latte vape, cuts down on the coffee drinking at well.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The evil weed on 13:54 - Mar 17 with 1270 viewsSimonJames

The evil weed on 23:26 - Mar 16 by Boston

What were you in for?

Actually whilst I was doing a project for Rothmans in Jordan, their chief tobacco tester (an Iranian geezer in his late 80's) tried it and said it was very good.

100% of people who drink water will die.

The evil weed on 14:32 - Mar 17 with 1230 viewsCFW

When I was 15 and started to smoke the world was a completely different to now. I started at 15 and spent many happy hours fishing with my trusty packet of No6 or if I was very luck Rothmans. As I got older and started work everyone and I mean everyone smoked some more than others to be fair.
By the age of 22 I was smoking over 60 Red top Marlboro a day, I smoked in bed, I smoked at work, I smoked on the train going to work and I even smoked on a Dan Air flight to Spain. I then had an idea that to cut down I would just smoke cigars - bad move - before long I was on 40 Hamlet a day!!! I had three young boys, I was working my balls off, long hours, always under pressure so smoking was my crutch. Have to say even at that point I knew that out of the 60 odd fags I smoked that day I really only enjoyed half a dozen at most. I had to change for my health and for my kids - decided one day to take a day off, went to a secluded place and smoked one after the other until I made myself sick. I had about 10 left in a packet, I threw them in the bin and never smoked again.

That was about 35 years ago and looking back I am disgusted with myself and bitterly regret those years but I really was not alone. One of my sons smokes and the smell is disgusting I dread to think of what people who did not smoke thought of me.
The evil weed on 14:41 - Mar 17 with 1211 viewsstowmarketrange

The evil weed on 14:32 - Mar 17 by CFW

When I was 15 and started to smoke the world was a completely different to now. I started at 15 and spent many happy hours fishing with my trusty packet of No6 or if I was very luck Rothmans. As I got older and started work everyone and I mean everyone smoked some more than others to be fair.
By the age of 22 I was smoking over 60 Red top Marlboro a day, I smoked in bed, I smoked at work, I smoked on the train going to work and I even smoked on a Dan Air flight to Spain. I then had an idea that to cut down I would just smoke cigars - bad move - before long I was on 40 Hamlet a day!!! I had three young boys, I was working my balls off, long hours, always under pressure so smoking was my crutch. Have to say even at that point I knew that out of the 60 odd fags I smoked that day I really only enjoyed half a dozen at most. I had to change for my health and for my kids - decided one day to take a day off, went to a secluded place and smoked one after the other until I made myself sick. I had about 10 left in a packet, I threw them in the bin and never smoked again.

That was about 35 years ago and looking back I am disgusted with myself and bitterly regret those years but I really was not alone. One of my sons smokes and the smell is disgusting I dread to think of what people who did not smoke thought of me.

I Think that the smell is the worst part to us non smokers.We sometimes used to have people smoking in our trucks and it was horrible to get in and suffer the smell of stale tobacco.
The evil weed on 14:53 - Mar 17 with 1192 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On smoking weed instead of fags, I’ve recently joined a workplace where I am the elder statesmen in my mid thirties and all the youngsters are on the gear in the same way I was on the booze at their age.

They fcking love it and non of them smoke normals fags. Going to have a generation of Cannabis smokers who have never touched a cigarette in their lives.

Never been a smoker myself, except rarely on a night out. Don’t miss washing the stink out of my hair and clothes after before the ban came in either.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 14:53]
The evil weed on 15:06 - Mar 17 with 1165 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I liked the smoking ban in pubs.

I smoke less and meet interesting people having a ciggie sometimes. (like the young girl who introduced me to Black Sheep Milk stout in York)

I hope they don't try to ban it in beer gardens. We are there all year, I suspect those who moan are not.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The evil weed on 15:18 - Mar 17 with 1148 viewsMrSheen

The evil weed on 14:53 - Mar 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

On smoking weed instead of fags, I’ve recently joined a workplace where I am the elder statesmen in my mid thirties and all the youngsters are on the gear in the same way I was on the booze at their age.

They fcking love it and non of them smoke normals fags. Going to have a generation of Cannabis smokers who have never touched a cigarette in their lives.

Never been a smoker myself, except rarely on a night out. Don’t miss washing the stink out of my hair and clothes after before the ban came in either.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 14:53]

When you say normal fags, do you mean one out of a packet, rather than a roll-up? My kids learned to smoke to get into weed, but while that's two-to-three times a week (fingers crossed), they smoke up to ten rollies a day. I think they worry that if they bought a box it would be too much at once, and they would feel obliged to hand them around!

Apart from a couple of times as a student, I've never touched any drugs apart from ye olde alcohol. I very much doubt that would have been the case if I hadn't disliked smoking so much, never got into that culture.
The evil weed on 15:23 - Mar 17 with 1139 viewsE17hoop

I'm really torn at the moment. Used to smoke and stopped 9 years ago because of a chronic health condition. I've been approached to work for one of the major tobacco manufacturers. I can do the job they're asking and the money is good - almost 6 figures a year good.

But it's a tobacco company.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

The evil weed on 15:28 - Mar 17 with 1126 viewsToast_R

The evil weed on 15:23 - Mar 17 by E17hoop

I'm really torn at the moment. Used to smoke and stopped 9 years ago because of a chronic health condition. I've been approached to work for one of the major tobacco manufacturers. I can do the job they're asking and the money is good - almost 6 figures a year good.

I'll do it. Whats the holiday like?
The evil weed on 15:29 - Mar 17 with 1126 viewsstowmarketrange

The evil weed on 15:23 - Mar 17 by E17hoop

If you don’t take the job someone else will.Console yourself with the salary.It’s not as if you’re forcing people to smoke.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024