Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is Austin playing so deep? 20:14 - Mar 20 with 1154 viewsdmm

In recent games Austin has been playing deep, almost as a false 9 at times. Given he's the best finisher we have, I don't understand the thinking behind this tactic. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Why is Austin playing so deep? on 20:21 - Mar 20 with 1112 viewsnix

I'm no technician but I wonder if it might be because we've been found out a bit, from the Derby match onwards, in terms of playing through the thirds, so everyone is closing us down in the middle third in particular.

So maybe Charlie needs to drop back to give us more outlets in midfield so we're not overrun, and lose too much possession.
Why is Austin playing so deep? on 20:25 - Mar 20 with 1106 viewsbosh67

I think it is more to do with Charlie barely playing before he came here and also a maturity in his game. He is playing the Gallen/Sheringham role and doing it really well. This Charlie may not be the box striker he was but he is a much better all round player. His passing and team game is excellent.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 20:26 - Mar 20 with 1100 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

He's like the opposite to Grant Hall. Instead of taking a few steps forward he takes a few steps back when we need extra bodies in midfield.

In all seriousness it's working in terms of goal return for Austin and results for the team so i've not got a problem with it.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 08:57 - Mar 21 with 879 viewsterryb

It's how he played when he made the occassional appearance for West Brom. This is the Charlie Austin of 2021, which is different to how he played for us previously.
Why is Austin playing so deep? on 10:31 - Mar 21 with 772 viewsfrancisbowles

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 08:57 - Mar 21 by terryb

It's how he played when he made the occassional appearance for West Brom. This is the Charlie Austin of 2021, which is different to how he played for us previously.

Exactly terryb. Austin was totally a goalscorer, who always moved well and made himself available for the ball up front. That was it!

Now he is quite different. He is a much cleverer and more experienced player and contributes considerably more to the team. He can play the hold up and lay game, he can make very good long sweeping passes and he can make and win tackles. All attributes we rarely saw in his first spell with us.
Why is Austin playing so deep? on 12:52 - Mar 21 with 682 viewsLazyFan

Its a tactic. Chaz is unlikely to outpace a defender, but what he can do is draw them into midfield to create spaces for Chair, Willock, Dykes to run into.

Once they get the ball in those gaps, Chaz can then catch-up the play with intelligent runs across the goalmouth, catching the defender out not with pace but positional sense. He did this yesterday when he nearly and should have scored.

zzzzzzzzzz

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 15:15 - Mar 21 with 596 viewsNed_Kennedys

Don’t like to see him drop too deep but his distribution out wide when he does this is normally excellent.
Why is Austin playing so deep? on 17:27 - Mar 21 with 540 viewsdannyblue

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 15:15 - Mar 21 by Ned_Kennedys

Don’t like to see him drop too deep but his distribution out wide when he does this is normally excellent.

Normally excellent since his return. Poor yesterday.
Login to get fewer ads

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 17:34 - Mar 21 with 532 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 17:27 - Mar 21 by dannyblue

Normally excellent since his return. Poor yesterday.

Agree. I think he's actually been forcing it a little bit the last few games and the results have been inconsistent.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Why is Austin playing so deep? on 19:42 - Mar 21 with 459 viewsextratimeR

Yes, his cross field play (up front) is very good, (I still remember that pass at Cardiff.)

His presence on the pitch also raises confidence around him, ( Dykes), a rare quiet day yesterday, but huge difference in the balance in the side since the Bristol City game
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024