Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Route 66 13:53 - Mar 25 with 2721 viewsstowmarketrange

After watching the hairy bikers on tv riding down Route 66,it has wetted my appetite a bit more than it was already.
I’d like to do the whole thing next year,and I wondered if the good people on here had any tips,or suggestions?
How long does it take to drive without rushing around everywhere?Can you just drive until you’ve had enough for the day and just find the nearest motel?Or is it better to book somewhere and just drive to it?
Cheers.
Route 66 on 14:25 - Mar 25 with 2136 viewsBoston

There is so much you can stop off at, I’d recommend you take 10/14 days. I spent more time out of the car than driving. Booked a place to stay twice, rest of the trip we usually pulled in somewhere when we were hungry

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Route 66 on 14:33 - Mar 25 with 2123 viewsted_hendrix

While ago now but I stayed three nights in the town of Williams, Arizona where there is still old and original Route 66 road signs, the old Route 66 road is still there, I spent a week in Arizona just visiting different Indian reservations (a passion of mine).
There's so little of Route 66 left now just mainly 2 lane inter state highways.
Pretty sure you should book with a tour operator just in case, when ever I've needed to find a Motel over there it's always been a struggle.
Again from memory to do coast to coast takes about three weeks and was never cheap.

If you do go crash out in Arizona for as long as you can, I got completely of off the tourist trap thingy and I have to say Arizona is quite stunning.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Route 66 on 14:43 - Mar 25 with 2099 viewsstowmarketrange

We did stay for one night in a motel on Route 66 when I trekked the Grand Canyon 7 years,but I can’t remember where it was though.It was like a ghost town with just a motel,a garage and a store.I think it was in Arizona.
The people in the bar in the evening were friendly enough,but they all carried guns,so you had to be careful not to spill their beer.

I just found the paperwork for where we all stayed the night and it was in the Grand Canyon caverns inn,mile marker 115,Route 66,Peach Springs,AZ.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 14:51]
Route 66 on 14:53 - Mar 25 with 2084 viewsJuzzie

I've done quite a few motorbike trips, mainly around Europe, in my time. France (about 4 times), Germany twice, Italy. Would like to do Spain but with young kids now that ain't going to happen.

Whether you are in a car or on a bike I would say don't rush things, the journey is the fun part it's not about getting there in a hurry. Depending how old you are I'd say camping is probably Ok when you're younger but as you get older B7B's, hotels etc become more appealing.

Our European friends are certainly more bike-friendly than in the UK. I remember one trip to Le Mans (for the MotoGP) we had car and van drivers pretty much driving into the verge to let you go by. Come back to England and they're trying to drive YOU into the verge. The contrast is quite obvious.

I would definitely say plan a route and agreed destination. Just driving for the sake of it and randomly deciding where to go is actually quite dangerous as you're not focusing on driving and can make rash decisions. Of course, should your intended destination still be a little way off and you think it's time to park up for the day then no problem stopping off at the next B&B, motel/hotel you come across, subject to vacancy of course.
Route 66 on 15:07 - Mar 25 with 2059 viewsstowmarketrange

Route 66 on 14:53 - Mar 25 by Juzzie

I've done quite a few motorbike trips, mainly around Europe, in my time. France (about 4 times), Germany twice, Italy. Would like to do Spain but with young kids now that ain't going to happen.

Whether you are in a car or on a bike I would say don't rush things, the journey is the fun part it's not about getting there in a hurry. Depending how old you are I'd say camping is probably Ok when you're younger but as you get older B7B's, hotels etc become more appealing.

Our European friends are certainly more bike-friendly than in the UK. I remember one trip to Le Mans (for the MotoGP) we had car and van drivers pretty much driving into the verge to let you go by. Come back to England and they're trying to drive YOU into the verge. The contrast is quite obvious.

I would definitely say plan a route and agreed destination. Just driving for the sake of it and randomly deciding where to go is actually quite dangerous as you're not focusing on driving and can make rash decisions. Of course, should your intended destination still be a little way off and you think it's time to park up for the day then no problem stopping off at the next B&B, motel/hotel you come across, subject to vacancy of course.

I will be going with my slightly older brother and he doesn’t do camping at all.Motels it is then.
Route 66 on 15:41 - Mar 25 with 2013 viewsRangersDave

Route 66 on 14:33 - Mar 25 by ted_hendrix

While ago now but I stayed three nights in the town of Williams, Arizona where there is still old and original Route 66 road signs, the old Route 66 road is still there, I spent a week in Arizona just visiting different Indian reservations (a passion of mine).
There's so little of Route 66 left now just mainly 2 lane inter state highways.
Pretty sure you should book with a tour operator just in case, when ever I've needed to find a Motel over there it's always been a struggle.
Again from memory to do coast to coast takes about three weeks and was never cheap.

If you do go crash out in Arizona for as long as you can, I got completely of off the tourist trap thingy and I have to say Arizona is quite stunning.

Loved the character of Williams and stayed there 2 nights, 1 so i could do the grand canyon railway, and the other to soak up the town and route 66 through it. Lovely place

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Route 66 on 17:01 - Mar 25 with 1944 viewsTomS

If you intend going to The Grand Canyon, don't just rock up, peer over the edge and say "Okay, I've seen it, ticked the box, let's go!".

It is truly stunning. If you get the chance, book a helicopter trip around it. It is rightly one of the wonders of the world and the helicopter trip around it is a wonderful and unforgettable experience.
Route 66 on 17:09 - Mar 25 with 1929 viewsstowmarketrange

Route 66 on 17:01 - Mar 25 by TomS

If you intend going to The Grand Canyon, don't just rock up, peer over the edge and say "Okay, I've seen it, ticked the box, let's go!".

It is truly stunning. If you get the chance, book a helicopter trip around it. It is rightly one of the wonders of the world and the helicopter trip around it is a wonderful and unforgettable experience.

I did a 5 day charity trek in the Grand Canyon for Marie Curie in 2014,and I’m doing another one next May.I just wanted to drive and see a bit more of the rest of Route 66.My brother has never seen it,so we might have to stop off for a helicopter tour.
Login to get fewer ads

Route 66 on 18:44 - Mar 25 with 1856 viewsitsbiga

If anyone recommends Oatman Arizona to you don't go.
Wild West town out of the touch of the law and full of drunks and weirdos and aggressive donkeys that run wild.
One nearly kicked my head off so I left after about 5 mins.
Gotta be careful in back country USA. There are some risks, and since Trump a lot of aggressive folk to outsiders.
Like don't get a bike with a Cali plate cuz that may get you into something in the wrong small town.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Route 66 on 18:53 - Mar 25 with 1850 viewscolinallcars

Get your kicks on the A316.
Route 66 on 19:00 - Mar 25 with 1840 viewscollegeranger

Did a road trip a few years ago and the tip I would give is to try and eat your evening meal in diners and the like at 6pm - don't leave it much later as a lot of independents don't stay open past 8pm - whether you have finished or not. Otherwise you end up in a succession of identikit diners and fast food joints and you could be anywhere in the US !!! We got completely stuck one night in the Mojave desert and the only thing we could find after starting to look at 7pm was a McDonalds outside of Mojave City (not a city btw) after 2 hours of looking for something other than McDs !!
Route 66 on 20:07 - Mar 25 with 1791 viewsTGRRRSSS

Never been to US, and am keen to do some east coast and a bit of Canada as I have friends in both.

This restriction right now really whetting the appetite for travels where I can.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 20:25]
Route 66 on 20:28 - Mar 25 with 1761 viewsJuzzie

Route 66 on 18:53 - Mar 25 by colinallcars

That’s good and i live just off the A316 too!
Route 66 on 20:30 - Mar 25 with 1758 viewsJuzzie

Don’t watch the Top Gear episode where they buy cars in Florida and drive to New Orleans to then sell. Will put you off going for life. There are some very strange people in them there parts of the world.
Route 66 on 22:38 - Mar 25 with 1679 viewsBoston

Route 66 on 18:53 - Mar 25 by colinallcars

Get your kicks at Shoe..bury..ness.

Route 66 on 22:45 - Mar 25 with 1670 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Did a family holiday along Route 66 in my early teens.

Distinctly remember a place called St Louis Obispo (?)

If you go there, the reason it stuck in my 14 year old mind will become apparent. I have never seen a place so full of Helen Locklear type surfers in my life.
Route 66 on 22:46 - Mar 25 with 1668 viewsBoston

Route 66 on 20:30 - Mar 25 by Juzzie

Don’t watch the Top Gear episode where they buy cars in Florida and drive to New Orleans to then sell. Will put you off going for life. There are some very strange people in them there parts of the world.

Made for TV.

Route 66 on 01:05 - Mar 26 with 1627 viewsqpr1976

Just for info.
Route 66 no longer goes from East coast to West coast. In fact, it now starts in Chicago and heads West.
Route 66 on 04:24 - Mar 26 with 1595 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Route 66 on 20:07 - Mar 25 by TGRRRSSS

Never been to US, and am keen to do some east coast and a bit of Canada as I have friends in both.

This restriction right now really whetting the appetite for travels where I can.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 20:25]

I’d recommend Big Sur travelling from San Francisco south to Los Angeles or even down to San Diego and if time permits, then do a big loop. I’ve done it several times and driven in from or made my way east taking in Vegas, the GC and Yosemite.

While folks go gooey for the GC I think the Copper Canyon in Mexico is on a par. Although it’s bandit territory and having got a train through we had armed security guards hanging off the train. That was 20 years ago and I doubt it’s improved!

As for oh Canada, done some stuff in the east where the wife’s from. Can be a bit dull and you can literally drive a good while and not see a soul. Quebec, Nova Scotia and PEI have some wonderful parts, definitely well worth it and not as mad as their southern gun totting neighbours.

We had planned to go back and do Newfoundland this summer, but that’s all gone tits up. That place looks stunning but the bigger trip will be west/central Canada because that looks amazeballs.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Route 66 on 05:07 - Mar 26 with 1588 viewsB_Wad

Route 66 on 22:45 - Mar 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Did a family holiday along Route 66 in my early teens.

Distinctly remember a place called St Louis Obispo (?)

If you go there, the reason it stuck in my 14 year old mind will become apparent. I have never seen a place so full of Helen Locklear type surfers in my life.

San Luis Obispo is unfortunately nowhere near Route 66 but is about 200 miles away off Highway 101, the El Camino Real, which is a nice drive.
Cracks me up to see this thread. I live walking distance to Route 66. Let me know if you want any Route 66 southern California info.
Route 66 on 12:19 - Mar 26 with 1476 viewsqpr1976

Route 66 on 01:05 - Mar 26 by qpr1976

Just for info.
Route 66 no longer goes from East coast to West coast. In fact, it now starts in Chicago and heads West.

However, if you REALLY want to drive East coast to West coast on a road named '66'......

The A66 goes from Middlesborough to Workington. Probably cheaper & no quarantining afterwards.
Route 66 on 13:13 - Mar 26 with 1433 viewscolinallcars

Route 66 on 20:28 - Mar 25 by Juzzie

That’s good and i live just off the A316 too!

Get your kicks on the Great Chertsey Road doesn't have the same resonance does it ?
Route 66 on 13:31 - Mar 26 with 1413 viewsRangersDave

Route 66 on 12:19 - Mar 26 by qpr1976

However, if you REALLY want to drive East coast to West coast on a road named '66'......

The A66 goes from Middlesborough to Workington. Probably cheaper & no quarantining afterwards.

Not so sure about that mate, it is the north after all!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Route 66 on 13:41 - Mar 26 with 1408 viewsMrSheen

The A68 is lovely. Won’t take you two weeks though, unless you walk.
Route 66 on 14:15 - Mar 26 with 1376 viewsstowmarketrange

We used to travel along the A69 from Newcastle to Carlisle a few times for a works football match.We used to stop at Alston for a beer break on the way to Penrith also.There was some fantastic scenery up that way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024