Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Insomnia 00:53 - Apr 2 with 5516 viewswombat

Anyone suffer from it ? Any suggestion On a cure etc

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Insomnia on 01:09 - Apr 2 with 3260 viewsBoston

Alcoholism.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Insomnia on 01:09 - Apr 2 with 3259 viewsBoston

Watching cricket.

Insomnia on 01:13 - Apr 2 with 3255 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Nytol.
The herbal one not the drug one works for me.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Insomnia on 01:14 - Apr 2 with 3253 viewsNorthernr

Get up and start again I find sometimes works, watch a bit of tv, or read, then shower and do your teeth or whatever you usually do before bed, and get into bed afresh and try again. Helps if the sheets are fresh on as well.

Welcome to it btw.
Insomnia on 01:16 - Apr 2 with 3246 viewsBoston

Insomnia on 01:14 - Apr 2 by Northernr

Get up and start again I find sometimes works, watch a bit of tv, or read, then shower and do your teeth or whatever you usually do before bed, and get into bed afresh and try again. Helps if the sheets are fresh on as well.

Welcome to it btw.

What are you doing up at this time of the night?

Insomnia on 01:21 - Apr 2 with 3243 viewsjohncharles

Get up, have a cup of tea, read a book. No point staying in bed, you’re not sleeping anyway. This is fine during the summer but winter’s not so good 😇

Strong and stable my arse.

Insomnia on 01:27 - Apr 2 with 3237 viewsBucksRanger

Not me but my son suffers from it.

Some time ago I bought him a lavender and chamomile spray for his pillows and he's sleeping better since using it.

The product is Avon Planet Spa Sleep Serenity Pillow Mist 100 ml and I bought it on the Amazon site.

Hope it works for you.
Insomnia on 01:51 - Apr 2 with 3215 viewsCLAREMAN1995

While I appear to be in the middle of a long Covid struggle the one thing i am having a brutal time with is Insomnia .I can fall asleep easily enough at 11pm but then around 1 or 2 am I will come awake and stay wide awake and fully alert for at least an hour .Its bizarre being so alive when the rest of the World is sleeping and frustrating does not even start to describe it.
I eventually drift off but only for an hour then repeat.The most cruel irony is I fall into the sleep of the dead for the last hour and when its time to get up 645am I am wasted and have to force myself out of bed.
Hopefully it will pass and on the advice of a QPR fan and LFW poster I am trying an Indica Edible this Saturday night so please keep an eye open for my Easter Sunday report should I survive
Login to get fewer ads

Insomnia on 02:16 - Apr 2 with 3196 viewsTomS

It's ironic that so many of us are still up and offering advice on curing insomnia.

Is something on your mind which is keeping you awake? An anxiety of some kind? If so, would thinking about how you plan on resolving that help?

I find a simple yoga exercise relaxes and calms my mind. Breath in for about four seconds, hold your breath, then exhale for about seven seconds. Your body should be a little more relaxed which might help you drop off.
Insomnia on 03:01 - Apr 2 with 3169 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I just deleted a huge response. Mutter, mutter, mutter.

I was an insomniac, and came from a family of insomniacs, as we all grew up in the pub and hotel business.

I got advice and now sleep eight good hours a night when I want to.

I'll try to post those tips again.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 3:01]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Insomnia on 03:23 - Apr 2 with 3142 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1.No food after 8pm
2. No caffeine after 8pm
3. Your bedroom is for sleeping and, if you;re lucky, sex.
4. No phones, tablets or TV
5. Aim for 8 hours a night
6. Make a note on your bedside what time you went to bed, set your alarm for eight hours afterwards.
7. Slow your breathing. Calm yourself and count nice things and people in your life.
7. If you can't sleep Part 1 - don't just lie there. Read an old book you know well and love.
8. If you can't sleep Part 2 - same (and this works for me) Listen to an old book that you know and love.
9. Never read or listen to new stuff as your mind just kicks up again.
10. Do backwards counting drills - weird , but works for 85% of insomniacs. Start at, say, 784. Subtract 17 from 784 over sixteen beats of your heart, then subtract 17 from your new total over sixteen beats of your heart, and continue at that pace. Your heart will ease, and your mind will switch off.

Insomnia on 03:41 - Apr 2 with 3134 viewsDannyPaddox

This sometimes works. Think back to when you got up the previous morning (or whenever it was) and try and remember everything you did or happened to you - every small detail - however insignificant. It’s amazing the things you remember that would have otherwise been completely forgotten. I rarely make it to the end of a remembered day before I’m asleep. As it’s 3.30 a.m. and I’ve got to be up for 9 I should give it a go now.

I’ve never tried it but I know a few people swear by melatonin (tablets?) I’m told by those who do (or at least did) a lot of international travel its great for restring your body clock. Apparently it was originally sold in Holland & Barrett but then it was banned as it was deemed medicinal - which is the point of it surely.
Insomnia on 04:34 - Apr 2 with 3122 viewsHAYESBOY

Insomnia on 03:23 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

1.No food after 8pm
2. No caffeine after 8pm
6. Make a note on your bedside what time you went to bed, set your alarm for eight hours afterwards.
7. Slow your breathing. Calm yourself and count nice things and people in your life.
7. If you can't sleep Part 1 - don't just lie there. Read an old book you know well and love.
8. If you can't sleep Part 2 - same (and this works for me) Listen to an old book that you know and love.
10. Do backwards counting drills - weird , but works for 85% of insomniacs. Start at, say, 784. Subtract 17 from 784 over sixteen beats of your heart, then subtract 17 from your new total over sixteen beats of your heart, and continue at that pace. Your heart will ease, and your mind will switch off.

Blimey, by the time I've done all that its time to get up...............

Smells like a trout farm in here

Insomnia on 04:50 - Apr 2 with 3115 viewsB_Wad

I sleep much more soundly if I get a good exercise workout in sometime during day and stay up another hour or so before the time I typically go to bed.
Insomnia on 05:04 - Apr 2 with 3111 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Insomnia: it’s like a wake but without the booze!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Insomnia on 07:05 - Apr 2 with 3074 viewsHantsR

Some good advice from some posters here, especially getting up and occupying your mind reading something. Maybe relax with a non-caffeine drink - not alcohol! I think it's good to stop worrying about insomnia by reading or doing a crossword- I've read that tv, possibly social media? is not advisable, can get addictive? It's not a bad idea to sit somewhere cool or even cold, so that the warmth of the duvet when you return to bed has a natural relaxing feeling that can help sleep.zzzzz
[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 7:47]
Insomnia on 07:28 - Apr 2 with 3047 viewstraininvain

Insomnia on 01:51 - Apr 2 by CLAREMAN1995

While I appear to be in the middle of a long Covid struggle the one thing i am having a brutal time with is Insomnia .I can fall asleep easily enough at 11pm but then around 1 or 2 am I will come awake and stay wide awake and fully alert for at least an hour .Its bizarre being so alive when the rest of the World is sleeping and frustrating does not even start to describe it.
I eventually drift off but only for an hour then repeat.The most cruel irony is I fall into the sleep of the dead for the last hour and when its time to get up 645am I am wasted and have to force myself out of bed.
Hopefully it will pass and on the advice of a QPR fan and LFW poster I am trying an Indica Edible this Saturday night so please keep an eye open for my Easter Sunday report should I survive

Hi Clareman, my advice on the edible is try to find an indica with an even balance between thc/cbd. Low dosage of 5/10mg to start and it’ll probably take an hour to kick in so don’t eat the whole bag if you’re not feeling anything after half an hour!

If you’re buying from a dispensary then one of the budtenders should be able to help you. Good luck and let me know how you get on.
Insomnia on 07:31 - Apr 2 with 3044 viewsnix

Insomnia on 03:23 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

1.No food after 8pm
2. No caffeine after 8pm

I agree with these, except that I'd try cutting out caffeine altogether for a while. I notice the difference if I have any at all so generally drink decaf these days.

Write down anything you're anxious about/haven't done yet, so your brain knows it's in hand and can stop reminding you about it in the middle of the night.

Keep yourself hydrated and your bedroom reasonably cool as we sleep better at lower temperatures.

Try reading before bed.

Listen to a calming podcast. Test match special or Desert Island Discs are good for me.

Do a gratitude journal or think of three things before bed that you're grateful for. It helps with the happy hormones and mild depression is linked with insomnia.

Yoga and Pilates are good with regulating your body which helps with insomnia.

Try and get to sleep well before 12pm at times as your sleep quality can be better and also you are less likely to become anxious if you wake up in the middle of the night as there would be plenty of time to get back to sleep before you have to get up.

Listen to a muscle relaxation script on YouTube.

Good luck! I do a lot of these and they help keep it in check, so I sleep badly maybe once a week rather than every night.
Insomnia on 08:12 - Apr 2 with 3008 viewsLimehouseR

I have had problems more recently actually falling asleep, it can take me hours before my brain finally decides to shut down for the night.
Incidentally I read an article recently that stated that humans had a broken sleep pattern anyway. A lighter sleeper was evolutionary beneficial too as it meant you would be more alert if some apex predator was near by or whatever.

Anyway I have found a strong cup of chamomile tea before bed works wonders minus the fact you get up at silly o clock for a trip to the toilet. But I have found it really helps me drift off to sleep a lot quicker. Good for you too apparently...
Insomnia on 08:16 - Apr 2 with 2999 viewsGloucs_R

Sexual activity.... Help to release chemicals in the brain which relax you and ultimately help you sleep.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Insomnia on 09:05 - Apr 2 with 2942 viewsozexile

Magnesium,cworks for me. Calms the mind.
Insomnia on 09:37 - Apr 2 with 2907 viewsEsox_Lucius

I was advised by my doctor to begin a log with a built in "therapy course" called Sleepio. I now regularly hit between 85% -90% sleep per night. I use it in conjunction with a fitbit which discerns REM sleep, light sleep & deep sleep along with waking times. It took around 4-6 weeks before I began to see results and that was about 2 years ago when I started.
www.sleepio.com

The grass is always greener.

Insomnia on 09:48 - Apr 2 with 2898 viewsDannyPaddox

Insomnia on 08:16 - Apr 2 by Gloucs_R

Sexual activity.... Help to release chemicals in the brain which relax you and ultimately help you sleep.

This has worked me for me many times in the short-term but more than once the shock of seeing who I’ve woken up next to has traumatised me for years.
Insomnia on 09:55 - Apr 2 with 2884 viewsGloucs_R

Insomnia on 09:48 - Apr 2 by DannyPaddox

This has worked me for me many times in the short-term but more than once the shock of seeing who I’ve woken up next to has traumatised me for years.

My insomnia has become worse over the past 15 years. Which is funny as that's how long I've been married for 🤔

I can't get no.......

Poll: Are we staying up?

Insomnia on 10:12 - Apr 2 with 2854 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Insomnia on 04:50 - Apr 2 by B_Wad

I sleep much more soundly if I get a good exercise workout in sometime during day and stay up another hour or so before the time I typically go to bed.

Definitely works.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024