Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton 13:35 - Apr 9 with 3306 viewsfrancisbowles

Derek, who first attended a match with his father in 1947, sat next to me in SA Road for about the last ten years when he and his wife were relocated in the ground. We gradually developed a 90 minute friendship and apart from his wife Catherine, also a season ticket holder, I met his sons and grandsons and he met my daughters when they attended the odd game.

Derek had always supported Rangers over the years and attended many matches when he could. He worked abroad frequently, in the USA, Mexico and was eventually appointed UK Ambassador to Haiti and High Commissioner to Jamaica from 1989-95.

When he retired he became a season ticket holder. He became ill about eighteen months back but still attended when he was well enough up to lockdown. I managed to track him down, through the father of friend of a friend, and wrote to him which developed into an ongoing email conversation about the matches and the club. He would tell me about anything that was in the Guardian and I would tell him the latest rumours on here and help him get the streaming sorted.

I always looked forward to our matchday conversations and I am going to really miss him when we get back to the ground.

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 14:23 - Apr 9 with 2658 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rest well Derek. Lovely tribute fb.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílís.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 14:41 - Apr 9 with 2608 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 14:23 - Apr 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Rest well Derek. Lovely tribute fb.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílís.

Thanks Brian. I somehow knew that yours would be the first response. I have no knowledge of Gaelic but, with my Irish background, and having googled their meaning, I think I shall use your words.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 15:11 - Apr 9 with 2563 viewskensalriser

!947, that really is a lifetime's worth of dashed dreams. RIP Derek, you did us proud.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 15:28 - Apr 9 with 2535 viewsLongsufferingR

Very sad news. All strength and best wishes to Catherine.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 15:40 - Apr 9 with 2503 viewsmarky67

rip derek, condolences to all the family.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 16:42 - Apr 9 with 2398 viewsnix

Sad to hear. RIP Derek. I've lost a number of match day companions over the years down to relocations, death or moving elsewhere in the ground and it's always a bit sad. As you say, they become your friend for 90 minutes.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 16:45 - Apr 9 with 2392 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Very sad. Wonder if it's worth having a whip round and getting a flag of him to Loftus Rd for the remainder of Lockdown?
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:09 - Apr 9 with 2352 viewsrrrspricey

Very sad, RIP old chap
Login to get fewer ads

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:10 - Apr 9 with 2343 viewscolinallcars

RIP to a great supporter
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:18 - Apr 9 with 2322 viewsRanger_Things

RIP Derek.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:20 - Apr 9 with 2313 viewsthemodfather

RIP Derek, sad news
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:27 - Apr 9 with 2298 viewsngbqpr

In the late 70s, me & my mate Julian travelled up to home matches and London aways regularly from the Bromley area. Both in our mid-teens and with limited funds, we put a note in the programme asking if anyone drove up from the area, so we could split costs and share Rs chat.

Derek replied. It turned out we went to school with his son Mark, but never knew about the Rs connection as, back then, Mark wasn't really into football.

For two seasons, Derek drove us to every London game. and refused to take a penny, or even a coffee at half time. He and Cathy (his wife, mad Blackburn fan but also honorary R) could not have been kinder to us.

We both then went off to uni and the arrangement ended, but in the late 80s we'd occasionally bump into them, mostly at away games - I distinctly remember sitting with them when we had that brilliant early season win at Upton Park, with Jim Smith's 352.

Can't remember when we last saw them (late 90s / early 00s maybe?), but it is a treasured memory, and was a major part of our formative years following Rangers.

francisbowles, I'd really appreciate it if you could send our condolences to the family, tell them Nick & Julian say hello, and thanks for everything, we've never forgotten their kindness. Shine on Derek.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:33 - Apr 9 with 2281 viewsflynnbo

RIP, Derek.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 19:22 - Apr 9 with 2170 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:27 - Apr 9 by ngbqpr

In the late 70s, me & my mate Julian travelled up to home matches and London aways regularly from the Bromley area. Both in our mid-teens and with limited funds, we put a note in the programme asking if anyone drove up from the area, so we could split costs and share Rs chat.

Derek replied. It turned out we went to school with his son Mark, but never knew about the Rs connection as, back then, Mark wasn't really into football.

For two seasons, Derek drove us to every London game. and refused to take a penny, or even a coffee at half time. He and Cathy (his wife, mad Blackburn fan but also honorary R) could not have been kinder to us.

We both then went off to uni and the arrangement ended, but in the late 80s we'd occasionally bump into them, mostly at away games - I distinctly remember sitting with them when we had that brilliant early season win at Upton Park, with Jim Smith's 352.

Can't remember when we last saw them (late 90s / early 00s maybe?), but it is a treasured memory, and was a major part of our formative years following Rangers.

francisbowles, I'd really appreciate it if you could send our condolences to the family, tell them Nick & Julian say hello, and thanks for everything, we've never forgotten their kindness. Shine on Derek.

I am really pleased that somebody else on here knew Derek and have passed on your condolences to Catherine.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 19:23 - Apr 9 with 2164 viewsGloucs_R

RIP Derek.

Poll: Are we staying up?

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 19:28 - Apr 9 with 2145 viewsHayesender

I didn't know the man, but it seems he lived a full life. RIP Sir

Poll: Shamima Beghum

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 19:57 - Apr 9 with 2106 viewsdaveB

Was Derek one of the regulars on the Supporters Club coaches in the 90's? Used to be a group of 3 older guys on there who were hilarious to listen to
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 20:46 - Apr 9 with 2067 viewsaston_hoop

RIP Derek. Lovely tributes, sounds like a great man.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 20:49 - Apr 9 with 2062 viewsted_hendrix

That's a nice story.

RIP Derek.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 20:53 - Apr 9 with 2056 viewsNed_Kennedys

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 19:57 - Apr 9 by daveB

Was Derek one of the regulars on the Supporters Club coaches in the 90's? Used to be a group of 3 older guys on there who were hilarious to listen to

Great tributes posted to one of our own: RIP Derek.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 22:45 - Apr 9 with 1974 viewsDWQPR

I too knew Derek and Cathy. They sat in front of us prior to the introduction of the C Club in the SAR. Both very much enjoyed coming to see the R’s and pre-match often I would find them eating their sandwiches by the kiosk by the Loft End of SAR. Derek and Cathy were so kind enough to attend the funeral of my own father back in 2014 coming all the way from Bromley I believe to Kensal Rise. And they have continued to keep in contact with Mum sending the occasional letter and always a Xmas card. A true gentleman and his working achievements have already been documented.

Rest in Peace Derek. Cathy, God bless you.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 23:41 - Apr 9 with 1900 viewsgr1

RIP - God bless.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 09:24 - Apr 10 with 1784 viewsw7r

Beautiful post mate - brought a little tear to my eye - soppy eh?

Seems Derek was a very good egg.

My condolences to his wife and family.

RIP Derek.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:43 - Apr 10 with 1644 viewsfrancisbowles

I have pm'd Catherine's email to you.
RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 17:46 - Apr 10 with 1628 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP QPR supporter Derek Milton on 22:45 - Apr 9 by DWQPR

I too knew Derek and Cathy. They sat in front of us prior to the introduction of the C Club in the SAR. Both very much enjoyed coming to see the R’s and pre-match often I would find them eating their sandwiches by the kiosk by the Loft End of SAR. Derek and Cathy were so kind enough to attend the funeral of my own father back in 2014 coming all the way from Bromley I believe to Kensal Rise. And they have continued to keep in contact with Mum sending the occasional letter and always a Xmas card. A true gentleman and his working achievements have already been documented.

Rest in Peace Derek. Cathy, God bless you.

I have pm'd you and since I did Catherine has worked out who you are and said they are still on Christmas card terms with your mother.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024