Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 players short 08:43 - Apr 12 with 5341 viewsE17hoop

We seem to have forgotten that we've a couple of players who will be back for next season - LTC and Amos.

Adding that depth to the squad will make a real difference I reckon.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

2 players short on 08:47 - Apr 12 with 2944 viewstoboboly

Add Masterson - think he can be really good.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

2 players short on 08:51 - Apr 12 with 2922 viewsstevec

Only have to look at the last 17 matches to realise LTC doesn’t fit well in this team.

His telegraph passing belongs in a different era.
2 players short on 08:59 - Apr 12 with 2892 viewseastside_r

2 players short on 08:51 - Apr 12 by stevec

Only have to look at the last 17 matches to realise LTC doesn’t fit well in this team.

His telegraph passing belongs in a different era.

Absolutely. There are a whole number of reasons for our upturn in form.

Sadly (for him) LTC’s absence is one of them.
2 players short on 09:08 - Apr 12 with 2861 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure about that re LTC.

We also changed our style after his injury with the switch to 3412, then 3421 with the arrival of Austin. And we went far more direct. LTC may well be able to function as part of that. I thought I saw one of those groovy stats boards on Twitter that showed LTC was also one of the better forward (long) passers in the division (?)

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

2 players short on 09:12 - Apr 12 with 2844 viewsDannytheR

It's going to take Amos time to get back to where he was in that game against Bournemouth. What became obvious eventually was that a lot of the hesitancy and nervousness in his game was down to him putting the pieces back together mentally after his last cruciate - with a similar injury, you'd expect the same again unfortunately.
2 players short on 09:17 - Apr 12 with 2819 viewsRBlock

2 players short on 09:08 - Apr 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure about that re LTC.

We also changed our style after his injury with the switch to 3412, then 3421 with the arrival of Austin. And we went far more direct. LTC may well be able to function as part of that. I thought I saw one of those groovy stats boards on Twitter that showed LTC was also one of the better forward (long) passers in the division (?)

LTC would absolutely be an asset to this squad, I can't believe we're having this discussion again to be honest.

You're right Brian, before his injury he progressing the ball forward more than most other championship midfielders - somebody posted the charts on another thread. I think we are less direct when playing Willock and Chair behind a striker, as opposed to Dykes and Austin up top together, and that would suit him well. LTC being able to find Willock and Chair in forward areas and join in on the passing moves will help the squad and share the load with Johansen/Field in that role.
2 players short on 09:42 - Apr 12 with 2740 viewsterryb

As individuals we will always have different views about players & what they contribute to the team. stevec & eastside have been critical of Carroll throughout & nothing will change their minds. Mind you, I think steve prefers him to Luongo!

There are a few on this board that rate Cameron whereras I would never have him in the squad. Let alone on the pitch!

You can post a different viewpoint whenever you want, but it will never succeed in altering a strongly held position.
2 players short on 09:47 - Apr 12 with 2726 viewsbosh67

I think criticism of Carroll is harsh. Up until his injury I thought he was actually playing very well despite the results. Most of the others were having shockers but I thought Carroll did okay. Amos is a big question. Just at the moment he 'clicked' he suffered another big injury. It's a huge comeback for him next season. He's 24 and has had 2 terrible injuries already and yet his game is about pace and getting stuck in so it is literally make or break for him and his career next season. I thought he flattered to deceive until the start of this season but he looked like a different player in the few games he played.

I think getting Johansen in would be a huge boost to the midfield but as Fulham are starting to look doomed despite always playing well I suspect he would play for them next season at this level and they have the money to pay him. If not and Wednesday go down I'd go all out to get Barry Bannan in who is a perfect creative QPR midfielder in the Faurlin image. Obviously we will have Shodipo back as well and him and Willock could potentially cause defences nightmares next season. Thomas also looks a decent prospect.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 9:52]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

2 players short on 09:48 - Apr 12 with 2716 viewsdaveB

criticism of Carrol is ridiculous, he was very good up until his injury
2 players short on 09:53 - Apr 12 with 2699 viewsRBlock

2 players short on 09:48 - Apr 12 by daveB

criticism of Carrol is ridiculous, he was very good up until his injury

Just got to look at the reaction to his injury - one of our top performers.

Carroll out for three months by Gloucs_R 20 Jan 2021 21:28
https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-qpr-midfielder-carroll-faces-three-months-out-with-knee-injury?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 9:53]
2 players short on 10:03 - Apr 12 with 2665 viewsmcqpr10

LTC was quality for us before his injury. Be interesting to see how he would play in the current formation. The best passer in the squad and the likes of chair and willock would really benefit from having him in the team (although not ahead of field/Johansson). We know his limitations physically but please spare me another season of Cameron and ball starting in centre mid. Amos is an interesting one too. Big ask after two big knew injuries at his age to come back and be a regular. All the more reason to sign LTC for another year.
2 players short on 10:27 - Apr 12 with 2597 viewsPhilmyRs

Agree LTC was playing well for us pre injury but the Fulham lad just seems a different level and consistently one of the best players on the park. Having LTC come back into the side by replacing Johansen when his loan finishes would feel like a bit of come down. I think the bars been raised now and shows what having a creative, combative, goal scoring midfielder can add to the team. We look a different beast with Johansen in the side.

Excellent Squad player for me and would certainly warrant some game time next season but I wouldn’t view him as a like for like replacement for Johansen. I’d go all out to sign him and if we can’t try and bring someone in that has similar qualities, not view LTC’s return as the answer.
2 players short on 10:28 - Apr 12 with 2590 viewsstevec

We would never have caught Leicester or Burnley in 2014 but we got a lot less points with LTCs dithering. Anyone see him at Charlton away game watching him and Jenas in midfield, an unforgivable shambles.

I try to think what it’d be like being an opposition centre back against our players and if Carroll was telegraphing 50 yard diagonals I’d be rubbing my hands. He hits them high, loads of backspin and by time it drops some poor sap on our wing finds himself surrounded and every oppo back in position. I’m sure the stats love all that but it gets us nowhere.
2 players short on 10:57 - Apr 12 with 2524 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

How great is it being able to say we have two players coming back into a winning squad by the way.

Normally our long term injuries are scrambled back as quick as possible to put out fires.

Good times.
2 players short on 11:10 - Apr 12 with 2485 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2 players short on 10:28 - Apr 12 by stevec

We would never have caught Leicester or Burnley in 2014 but we got a lot less points with LTCs dithering. Anyone see him at Charlton away game watching him and Jenas in midfield, an unforgivable shambles.

I try to think what it’d be like being an opposition centre back against our players and if Carroll was telegraphing 50 yard diagonals I’d be rubbing my hands. He hits them high, loads of backspin and by time it drops some poor sap on our wing finds himself surrounded and every oppo back in position. I’m sure the stats love all that but it gets us nowhere.

I definitely agree that he used to be predictable in his first spell. 100%.

He's a different player now, though. Johansen is better again of course, but Carroll has improved from his first spell and my recollection of us before his injury was that it was him who found Chair consistently with forward balls. We were playing football on the deck, we were trying to play though oppo midfields rather than over them or around them and I thought that LTC was the only player we had brave enough and capable enough to do it. I think we missed him when he got injured. Then we found Johansen and we were set again.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 11:21]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

2 players short on 11:11 - Apr 12 with 2478 viewsTheChef

Re LTC, assuming we don't get Johansen then I would hope he and Field would be a decent pairing.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

2 players short on 11:22 - Apr 12 with 2446 viewsWestbourneR

As I've said about LTC, even since the Redknapp era, is that he has lots and lots of good ideas and a good football brain but unfortunately his passing technique is just way below the mark.

To be Champ Manager about it - he has 16 for vision and creativity and 10 for passing.

If you just look at the way Johansen zips his passes across the turf into feet - that is the difference. Eg. goal 1 vs Wednesday, it's made by JJ crisp pass out to Barbet, it gets there half a second quicker that a LTC pass and the whole move builds from that advantage.

That said, on a cheap contract, LTC is a good squad player back up for JJ.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

2 players short on 11:28 - Apr 12 with 2411 viewsTonto

There wi be some churn of the squad, that is inevitable. There will be a few players to leave, but my gut feeling is major surgery isn't required for the first time in a long time.

Depth is important, particularly in defence where suspensions generally happen and up front. So I'm slightly surprised this thread seems to have become.e a discussion about the midfield where we seem to be ok IMO.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

2 players short on 11:35 - Apr 12 with 2376 viewsrsonist

It's like good things don't count if they're not a pretext to say something or someone else is/was sh1t.
2 players short on 11:39 - Apr 12 with 2351 viewsgobbles

LTC was one of the bright spots of the first half of the season. Can't see why he wouldn't be an important member of the squad next year. He'd probably fit in well to the new system
2 players short on 11:40 - Apr 12 with 2345 viewsQPR_John

Did I miss something but did Carroll only have a one year contract.
2 players short on 11:44 - Apr 12 with 2334 viewsMaggsinho

2 players short on 11:40 - Apr 12 by QPR_John

Did I miss something but did Carroll only have a one year contract.

We have an option for a second year.
2 players short on 11:47 - Apr 12 with 2322 viewsQPR_John

2 players short on 11:44 - Apr 12 by Maggsinho

We have an option for a second year.

I assume then that Carroll has the option. If not how Carroll would fit in is dependent on the club wanting him to stay. That may not be the case.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 11:51]
2 players short on 11:50 - Apr 12 with 2309 viewsdmm

I'm not sure it has been mentioned but Carroll's contract is up this summer but the club has an option for a further year. I wonder if his wages might be a determining factor as to whether he'll be kept on.

Charlie Owens is the same with an option of another year for him but I suspect the club could let him go given his continuing injury issues.

I think it's likely we'll see Sam Field, Dominic Ball, Luke Amos and Faysal Bettache competing for the two CM spots next season.
2 players short on 11:51 - Apr 12 with 2303 viewsDannytheR

Also, the partnership in CM is almost as important as that between CBs. In that respect LTC drew a very short straw all season. Occasionally he'd be partnering Dom Ball who, God love him, must be nerve racking to play alongside, but most of the time he was saddled with Cameron, who this season at least could neither run or pass. (Both usually seen as advantages in a central midfielder.)

Johansen is a better all-round midfielder, I agree - crisp passing, likes a tackle — and more naturally suited to the Championshipons for sure. Would be great for us to sign him. But playing alongside Field has let him do his thing much more effectively, and I think the same would be true for Carroll.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024