Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rotherham 22:58 - Apr 13 with 3361 viewsdigswellhoop

did we just not turn up?
Rotherham on 06:46 - Apr 14 with 2383 viewsSimplyNico

No. Went home early before the job was done.
Rotherham on 08:28 - Apr 14 with 2223 viewsted_hendrix

Of course we turned up, kicked of at 7.00pm and lost 3-1.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rotherham on 08:39 - Apr 14 with 2175 viewsTheChef

Digswell nice to see you turn up as usual when we lose.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Rotherham on 08:59 - Apr 14 with 2110 viewsnix

No we started okay, gave away a couple of silly goals and lost it trying to get back into the game. Was it our best startling line up? No. Did they want it more than us? Probably. Were we abject? No. Is a good idea to try some of your fringe squad members when we're safe? Yes, in my view as it's a good way of learning about them for next season and resting some of our team who've worked their bollix off. Can some fans not accept that we're not going to win every match? Apparently...Does Warburton understand that fans don't want capitulation at the end of the season, so is likely to play a better team on Saturday? I'd be amazed if not.

It was a shame when De Wijs went off too, as he provides some solidity in defence and Kane and Kakay together didn't work at all.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 9:02]
Rotherham on 09:11 - Apr 14 with 2042 viewsbosh67

Rotherham on 08:59 - Apr 14 by nix

No we started okay, gave away a couple of silly goals and lost it trying to get back into the game. Was it our best startling line up? No. Did they want it more than us? Probably. Were we abject? No. Is a good idea to try some of your fringe squad members when we're safe? Yes, in my view as it's a good way of learning about them for next season and resting some of our team who've worked their bollix off. Can some fans not accept that we're not going to win every match? Apparently...Does Warburton understand that fans don't want capitulation at the end of the season, so is likely to play a better team on Saturday? I'd be amazed if not.

It was a shame when De Wijs went off too, as he provides some solidity in defence and Kane and Kakay together didn't work at all.

De Wijs does add a lot to the defence but my concern is that he is a walking injury a lot of the time, not that he could do much about last night but it is another injury. Even Matthew Rose would be thinking about this.

I'm not so sure I buy the whole loading and resting thing at this stage of the season. Momentum and winning is a mentality and belief. We were set up to scratch a win or get thumped last night. There is a fairly regular end of season gap this time so I think given the gaffer's words that we should finish as strongly as possible then that's what we should do. We had Albert, Willock and Chair on the bench last night. I am not sure what the highly experienced Albert needs to do to get a game? He's far from spent, his assists have been vital this season. If Willock and Chair caused havoc against Wednesday then play them against Rotherham while they are on it.

There is no guarantee that resting players and losing a game makes things better for Saturday at Boro. If there were 15 games to go I get it but with 5 not so much.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Rotherham on 09:14 - Apr 14 with 2020 viewsenfieldargh

In particular Dickie & Johansson looked tired to me, their decision making did not carry their usual sharpness, Barbet to.
Yes Rotherham fighting for their lives but first half it was pretty even, we scored they made 3 subs(like Barnsley) and changed the game. Our guys just not ready to step up

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Rotherham on 09:23 - Apr 14 with 1993 viewsloftus77

Take you point(s), Nix, but I guess the issue for some fans (me included) may have been that Warbs has stressed at length about the ‘integrity of the Championship’ and achieving ‘as many points as possible this season’ etc.

Hence, the surprise when last night’s team sheet came out. You could argue ‘what else is he meant to say?’ but the recent tone he set seemed to be completely at odds with last night’s team selection and (second half) performance.

As said, I’ve got no problem with what we’re, in reality, trying to do for next season (it makes sense IMHO) but, as Clive said on a podcast last season (about related Cup-selection issues): ‘don’t p*ss people off, when you don’t need to p*ss them off’. That, I think, is what the club ended up doing last night.
Rotherham on 09:37 - Apr 14 with 1921 viewsted_hendrix

Cant get my head around the lack of respect towards Rotherham who in effect have beaten us on aggregate 5-4 over two games.
Not saying we have to bow down to them at all but reading through some of the threads last night and today It's as if some people are saying this result is the shock of the season (It's not).
I don't understand threads like this, sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say fair play to them, they deserved it.
Still pissed off about last nights result at one stage we were ninth in the table.
I'm also in a bad mood.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Rotherham on 09:37 - Apr 14 with 1920 viewsTheChef

Rotherham on 09:23 - Apr 14 by loftus77

Take you point(s), Nix, but I guess the issue for some fans (me included) may have been that Warbs has stressed at length about the ‘integrity of the Championship’ and achieving ‘as many points as possible this season’ etc.

Hence, the surprise when last night’s team sheet came out. You could argue ‘what else is he meant to say?’ but the recent tone he set seemed to be completely at odds with last night’s team selection and (second half) performance.

As said, I’ve got no problem with what we’re, in reality, trying to do for next season (it makes sense IMHO) but, as Clive said on a podcast last season (about related Cup-selection issues): ‘don’t p*ss people off, when you don’t need to p*ss them off’. That, I think, is what the club ended up doing last night.

Bottom line is they are our squad players so if they're not good enough to start a Championship match then why are they at the club?

By all accounts the issue was less to do with them and some of the more senior players having an off night, and our failure to react to the subs they made.

Rotherham on 09:43 - Apr 14 with 1895 viewsfrancisbowles

...........and Dickie didn't look as comfortable in the centre.

I don't get the complaints about selection either. Thomas and Kelman are both first team squad members, they are not development squad or youth team players. They have both recently been on the bench and getting a few minutes here and there. When else are we supposed to play them?

We didn't try and lose the match, in fact we took the lead but similar to Birmingham we couldn't cope with the pressure. We need to work out how to deal much better with these situations especially if the five subs rule continues. Their triple substitution was, I believe, the biggest single factor that changed the game.
Rotherham on 10:44 - Apr 14 with 1761 viewsstevec

Losing games in our position is not the issue, it’s looking at the team sheet and virtually being able to predict the outcome before it’s even started.

We have a hard core of ten players, a step up from the first half of season, who can match any team in the Division, that’s great.

Sadly, as you dilute that ten with additions from the bench it doesn’t take many before you could be turned over by Southend.

One we can stand, two the alarm bells are going, three or four as per last night, then we don’t stand a chance.

The blooding in I can understand at this stage of season, but you expect something of them and you get very little. I can remember the groans when John Delve filled in for an injured Gerry Francis but nevertheless, while he was never going to be Gerry, he’d still do a job.

The gap between the ten and the majority on the bench wouldn’t be so alarming if you felt that would be tackled close season but I worry the same bench next season would undermine any push up the table.
Rotherham on 11:04 - Apr 14 with 1700 viewsNed_Kennedys

Their attempt at ‘trying to get back into the game’ last night was abject as we hardly threatened Rotherham’s half of the pitch let alone their goal. A triple substitution for them turned the game but Warbs just doesn’t see the benefit of gambling like that it seems which is a shame when we had nothing to lose.
Rotherham on 11:47 - Apr 14 with 1598 viewsMalintabuk

For me it was a strange team to put out. I was confused about the thinking
If Warbs was totally truthful about getting as many points on the board as possible then it was a strange selection regarding the forward line up
If he played Kelman and Thomas with "one eye on next season" fair enough, and in fairness they had decent games. I was again surprised that he never subbed them earlier.
But why are we playing Johansen and Field? The hopeful explanation for that is there's a chance they are staying, which would be good news indeed. But if they are not then should we now be playing loan players when we are safe?
Why not at least put this kid Armstrong on the bench to introduce him to the squad you don't have to use him.
De Wijs even if not staying I understand. Warbs really had no option as he want to play 3 at the back. But worried that he is trying to do that with the wrong personnel in a situation of not wanting to go to a flat 4. We all know the 3 works but not if you don't have a replacement sub as in trying Field and now Kakay.
Strange game yesterday it was almost a situation of mixed messages from the Warbs. One we want as many points as possible but also experiment with one eye on next year.
If it worked last night and we won it would be a different thing.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 11:49]
Rotherham on 11:51 - Apr 14 with 1575 viewsJuzzie

He had one thread deleted last night (not sure if that was due to his ‘we are crap’ type comments or those of others).

IMO this is just trolling now by him. Wait until we lose, start an inflammatory thread then sit back and see all the responses without actually joining in.

All this can be discussed on the match thread, why the need for another if it isn’t attention seeking/trolling etc?
Rotherham on 12:30 - Apr 14 with 1490 viewsLazyFan

Experimental by Warbs.

We learned that Niko was not ready and totally unprepared. Needs a loan now, lucky old dog Wallace has taught himself new tricks. I wanted Niko to be good, but really he's not ready.

Thomas I feel does not fit our system and needs more games to learn it.

Kakay showed he can play, he beat two men to assist the goal. Kane interestingly did very little.

Barbs and Dickie need the Dutchie in between them. They cannot play the sweeper role it seems. But Barbs did have to contend with Niko offering little.

Kelman was okay, but needs more games with Dykes.

This was an experimental team, usual such experiments fail to bring results as this one did, but people don't understand experiments, they are not about results they are about LEARNING. So, we can use that LEARNING in the matches we really NEED to win. This is how we prepare for those games by running the experiments to LEARN.

We also learned they are all knackered. You can say the Millers had more games, but I would say our players have played harder in the previous games than them, which is why we have those points in the board. But its not sustainable and the downer payback comes to get you in the end. This was one of those times.

zzzzzzzzzz

Rotherham on 12:58 - Apr 14 with 1391 viewsgolborne

Rotherham on 12:30 - Apr 14 by LazyFan

Experimental by Warbs.

We learned that Niko was not ready and totally unprepared. Needs a loan now, lucky old dog Wallace has taught himself new tricks. I wanted Niko to be good, but really he's not ready.

Thomas I feel does not fit our system and needs more games to learn it.

Kakay showed he can play, he beat two men to assist the goal. Kane interestingly did very little.

Barbs and Dickie need the Dutchie in between them. They cannot play the sweeper role it seems. But Barbs did have to contend with Niko offering little.

Kelman was okay, but needs more games with Dykes.

This was an experimental team, usual such experiments fail to bring results as this one did, but people don't understand experiments, they are not about results they are about LEARNING. So, we can use that LEARNING in the matches we really NEED to win. This is how we prepare for those games by running the experiments to LEARN.

We also learned they are all knackered. You can say the Millers had more games, but I would say our players have played harder in the previous games than them, which is why we have those points in the board. But its not sustainable and the downer payback comes to get you in the end. This was one of those times.

Thomas, Dykes, Niko, Kelman all pretty much disappeared for the last 25 mins for varying reasons, mostly lack of and too much game time, so I would have rung the changes a little earlier. The one, actually only thing that got my goat was the lack of respect for Rotherham/we can do what we want here. We played some lovely stuff to get it out of defence in the first part of the 2nd half, but got complacent and did it too often. Once it started to moving between Kaky and Kane, well, the writing was on the wall. Fair play to their manager, he spotted the complacency and stuck 3 on for the hunt, and hunt they did. As others have mentioned, Dickie can't play in the central sweeping role - he was miles ahead of his man without checking to see if he was the last man (he wasn't) for their 2nd. I think they're looking at Kelman to see if it's a loan, or not next season. Him in front of Bonne in recent and remaining games will determine that. Not seen enough of Thomas this season, so needs games to determine whether he's a potential long term replacement for other two (been very lucky with injuries this season bar Amos)
Rotherham on 12:58 - Apr 14 with 1391 viewsNorthantsHoop

I think if Warbs learnt anything from last night's defeat is that we are just inconsistent and that unless he plays Willock and Chair, we do lack creative attacking ability. Also we look a lot less stronger at the back without Jordi de Wijs and Niko is not the answer at left back.Positively, Lyndon Dykes is improving and his condidence in front of goal looks good at the moment. Kelman is again a work in progress and George Thomas is the same, although I think he makes more impact coming on as sub, rather than as a starter.
Rotherham on 13:17 - Apr 14 with 1323 viewsToast_R

Unconvinced we're capable of mounting a play-off challenge next season when the form appears too be so erratic. Rotherham are shite.
Rotherham on 13:49 - Apr 14 with 1250 viewsMatch82

Rotherham on 12:58 - Apr 14 by golborne

Thomas, Dykes, Niko, Kelman all pretty much disappeared for the last 25 mins for varying reasons, mostly lack of and too much game time, so I would have rung the changes a little earlier. The one, actually only thing that got my goat was the lack of respect for Rotherham/we can do what we want here. We played some lovely stuff to get it out of defence in the first part of the 2nd half, but got complacent and did it too often. Once it started to moving between Kaky and Kane, well, the writing was on the wall. Fair play to their manager, he spotted the complacency and stuck 3 on for the hunt, and hunt they did. As others have mentioned, Dickie can't play in the central sweeping role - he was miles ahead of his man without checking to see if he was the last man (he wasn't) for their 2nd. I think they're looking at Kelman to see if it's a loan, or not next season. Him in front of Bonne in recent and remaining games will determine that. Not seen enough of Thomas this season, so needs games to determine whether he's a potential long term replacement for other two (been very lucky with injuries this season bar Amos)

I don't know about lack of respect, I have the feeling this is what he would have done regardless of opposition. And we were 1-0 up and in total control at one point. We can, rightly, question what the fck happened after that point and why we were out thought and out fought, but the set up, and the players, that we started the game with worked. We just didn't adapt.
Rotherham on 13:56 - Apr 14 with 1230 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rotherham on 13:17 - Apr 14 by Toast_R

Unconvinced we're capable of mounting a play-off challenge next season when the form appears too be so erratic. Rotherham are shite.

Fair, but League Tables are determined by points not form though.

Not such and issue if we lose to Rotherham but beat Brentford, Bristol, and Watford.

Sorry to be so Happy Clapper about it, but I really don’t think last night is indicative of anything that will happen next season.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 13:58]
Rotherham on 14:15 - Apr 14 with 1166 viewsPinnerPaul

Rotherham on 09:23 - Apr 14 by loftus77

I don't think two changes (Wallace obviously injured) damages anything's 'integrity'
Rotherham on 14:17 - Apr 14 with 1156 viewsPinnerPaul

Rotherham on 10:44 - Apr 14 by stevec

Losing games in our position is not the issue, it’s looking at the team sheet and virtually being able to predict the outcome before it’s even started.

We have a hard core of ten players, a step up from the first half of season, who can match any team in the Division, that’s great.

Sadly, as you dilute that ten with additions from the bench it doesn’t take many before you could be turned over by Southend.

One we can stand, two the alarm bells are going, three or four as per last night, then we don’t stand a chance.

The blooding in I can understand at this stage of season, but you expect something of them and you get very little. I can remember the groans when John Delve filled in for an injured Gerry Francis but nevertheless, while he was never going to be Gerry, he’d still do a job.

The gap between the ten and the majority on the bench wouldn’t be so alarming if you felt that would be tackled close season but I worry the same bench next season would undermine any push up the table.

It wasn't three or 4, it was two 'tactical' and 1 injury enforced.
Rotherham on 14:21 - Apr 14 with 1146 viewsjoe90

Whatever the reason for last nights result, to lose 3-1 off the back of a solid 4-1 win AND miss the chance to climb to 9th is very disappointing.

You can look it at it in a few different ways, rest some players, give others a chance, it's only Rotherham - we should win whatever team we select etc, but the bottom line is we keep stumbling like this.

It seems avoiding relegation is the main target. Once that is achieved we just faff about for the rest of the season winning the odd game here and there. Very frustrating, even more so because I missed the bloody Sheff Wed game.

What is the point?!
Rotherham on 14:50 - Apr 14 with 1102 viewsTheChef

Rotherham on 14:21 - Apr 14 by joe90

Whatever the reason for last nights result, to lose 3-1 off the back of a solid 4-1 win AND miss the chance to climb to 9th is very disappointing.

You can look it at it in a few different ways, rest some players, give others a chance, it's only Rotherham - we should win whatever team we select etc, but the bottom line is we keep stumbling like this.

It seems avoiding relegation is the main target. Once that is achieved we just faff about for the rest of the season winning the odd game here and there. Very frustrating, even more so because I missed the bloody Sheff Wed game.

What is the point?!

Well you should have learned, having not watched the Wednesday game, not to watch last night.

Rotherham on 15:04 - Apr 14 with 1054 viewsPinnerPaul

Rotherham on 09:37 - Apr 14 by ted_hendrix

Cant get my head around the lack of respect towards Rotherham who in effect have beaten us on aggregate 5-4 over two games.
Not saying we have to bow down to them at all but reading through some of the threads last night and today It's as if some people are saying this result is the shock of the season (It's not).
I don't understand threads like this, sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say fair play to them, they deserved it.
Still pissed off about last nights result at one stage we were ninth in the table.
I'm also in a bad mood.

Indeed Ted, as someone pointed out before the match yesterday, Rotherham were in fact favourites to win the match.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024