Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your Staycation 21:00 - Apr 16 with 4442 viewsToast_R

Arrived on the Isle of Wight today. No school parties on the ferry, plenty of space, first on and off, it was bliss. Did get a seagull divebomb my freshly valeted car as I was alighting the Red Funnel though, a right paint peeler. Literally - shit happens. Weather has been top notch for mid April, off to the Needles tomorrow and a bit a look round Queen Vic's old gaff.

Also booked and AirBnb to the Mumbles in South Wales in August. Taking it all in.

Anyone else not chancing abroad this year and booked a UK holiday?
Your Staycation on 21:08 - Apr 16 with 3442 viewscolinallcars

I used to go to the IOW alot back in the day. Gales Ales and Burt's Bitter, haven't heen for years.
I've managed to book four hols for this year - Cornwall, Norfolk and two trips oop north. Fingers firmly crossed !
Your Staycation on 21:18 - Apr 16 with 3406 viewsToast_R

Your Staycation on 21:08 - Apr 16 by colinallcars

I used to go to the IOW alot back in the day. Gales Ales and Burt's Bitter, haven't heen for years.
I've managed to book four hols for this year - Cornwall, Norfolk and two trips oop north. Fingers firmly crossed !

I love it here, good beaches, plently to keep the kids interested and all driveable in under an hour.

If my job goes full time working from home which is looking quite likely, I'd really consider moving here.
Your Staycation on 21:23 - Apr 16 with 3390 viewshantssi

Your Staycation on 21:08 - Apr 16 by colinallcars

Wife refuses to go to the I of W on holiday as in her words “I can see my house from there”!
Going to The Lakes end of June with some mates, hopefully it’ll be fully open by then, family holiday to Pembrokeshire in August (grown up kids but won’t pass on a free holiday!) and then another lads holiday to Snowdonia in September, might get a golf weekend in October (hopefully).
Was supposed to be a “big” holiday this year for my 60th but it’ll have to wait until next year now.
So no, no foreign holiday this year for me, also had a skiing holiday in March to Italy cancelled as well.
Your Staycation on 21:23 - Apr 16 with 3390 viewscolinallcars

Your Staycation on 21:18 - Apr 16 by Toast_R

I love it here, good beaches, plently to keep the kids interested and all driveable in under an hour.

If my job goes full time working from home which is looking quite likely, I'd really consider moving here.

Have they still got the old tube train running from Yarmouth to Ventnor ?
Your Staycation on 21:34 - Apr 16 with 3369 viewshantssi

Your Staycation on 21:23 - Apr 16 by colinallcars

Have they still got the old tube train running from Yarmouth to Ventnor ?

It’s a “new” one, a fully refurbished 1980’s ex underground trains now!
Your Staycation on 21:45 - Apr 16 with 3352 viewsBklynRanger

Going to Antrim to see my mum for the first time in 18 months in a couple of weeks. Only for a long weekend but will head up the north coast for a night. These things used to be run of the mill.

We had tickets to NY for the first week of June but far too much of a faff with the multiple tests and isolation, and we've actually found ourselves worrying about not wanting to risk contributing to bringing variants in. So 2 nights in Glasgow, 6 nights around Glen Nevis, 1 night back down on the Caledonian Sleeper - extremely mixed reviews but I do love a sleeper train.

Enjoy it anyway Toast.
Your Staycation on 21:46 - Apr 16 with 3349 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Going Whitby on Monday
Your Staycation on 21:57 - Apr 16 with 3323 viewsToast_R

Your Staycation on 21:34 - Apr 16 by hantssi

It’s a “new” one, a fully refurbished 1980’s ex underground trains now!

Newer trains, I last got on one in 2017 after getting the steamtrain halfway. The trains are newer but the tracks are as rickety as ever, bumps around like its going to de-rail any moment.

That's one thing that's convincing me to move here. Isolated enough to feel like a holiday place but you can be back in London in under 2 hours.
Login to get fewer ads

Your Staycation on 22:06 - Apr 16 with 3295 viewsloftboy

Spending half my time in Lowestoft at the moment as the house move is still pending and my new job has already started, like being on holiday walking on the beach eating the occasional ice cream.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Your Staycation on 22:14 - Apr 16 with 3271 viewsBoston

Your Staycation on 21:57 - Apr 16 by Toast_R

Newer trains, I last got on one in 2017 after getting the steamtrain halfway. The trains are newer but the tracks are as rickety as ever, bumps around like its going to de-rail any moment.

That's one thing that's convincing me to move here. Isolated enough to feel like a holiday place but you can be back in London in under 2 hours.

I was informed the old ones had previously served on the Bakerloo line, which in my opinion were the worst rolling stock London Underground had.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your Staycation on 22:16 - Apr 16 with 3267 viewsMrSheen

Your Staycation on 21:46 - Apr 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Going Whitby on Monday

Secret Goth, well I never!

I was last in the IoW with the kids about ten years ago. We saw in the local paper you could buy a 3bed thatched cottage for about £700,000, or a 16-bed hotel in Shanklin for £400,000.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 22:21]
Your Staycation on 22:32 - Apr 16 with 3228 viewsMickS

Your Staycation on 21:45 - Apr 16 by BklynRanger

Going to Antrim to see my mum for the first time in 18 months in a couple of weeks. Only for a long weekend but will head up the north coast for a night. These things used to be run of the mill.

We had tickets to NY for the first week of June but far too much of a faff with the multiple tests and isolation, and we've actually found ourselves worrying about not wanting to risk contributing to bringing variants in. So 2 nights in Glasgow, 6 nights around Glen Nevis, 1 night back down on the Caledonian Sleeper - extremely mixed reviews but I do love a sleeper train.

Enjoy it anyway Toast.

We’ll be over to NI a couple of times this year if we are lucky - whereabouts on the North Coast will you be going? It’s a wonderful place - my mother in law lives 20 mins from the sea; so easy to get around over there.
Your Staycation on 22:36 - Apr 16 with 3218 viewsstowmarketrange

I put on a thread months ago that I’m turning my Seat Alhambra into a mini camper van in order to do some touring this year.
As I work 4 days on and 4 off,when I book 4 days holiday it turns into 12 straight days off.I just hope the old van doesn’t need too much to get through the mot in august.

My walking boots and a chemical toilet is mostly all I’ll need.
Your Staycation on 22:41 - Apr 16 with 3210 viewsBklynRanger

Your Staycation on 22:32 - Apr 16 by MickS

We’ll be over to NI a couple of times this year if we are lucky - whereabouts on the North Coast will you be going? It’s a wonderful place - my mother in law lives 20 mins from the sea; so easy to get around over there.

Portbradden, Mick - roughly halfway between Bushmills and Ballycastle. Been going there since I was a teenager - extremely unspoilt beach.
Your Staycation on 22:46 - Apr 16 with 3200 views1MoreBrightonR

Got a weekend in Norfolk booked in may and then we have a camper van rental booked in Inverness in late June to try and go to the outer Hebrides.. something completely random but if we aren't going to do it this year, when are we going to? Will try and do something abroad at the end of the year but definitely not booking anything anytime soon.
Your Staycation on 22:51 - Apr 16 with 3183 viewsgobbles

A staycation is when you stay at home and go on day outs as if you are a tourist. Travelling away from home in the UK is a holiday
Your Staycation on 23:08 - Apr 16 with 3148 viewsMrSheen

Going to take a chance on Ireland in July. We can self isolate if we have to, but hopefully will be able to get out more than last year.
Your Staycation on 23:08 - Apr 16 with 3148 viewsMickS

Your Staycation on 22:41 - Apr 16 by BklynRanger

Portbradden, Mick - roughly halfway between Bushmills and Ballycastle. Been going there since I was a teenager - extremely unspoilt beach.

I’ll look into that tomorrow mate for when we are next over - I fancy getting over to Strangford Lough next visit.

I got very tipsy after the very generous tasting session at the Bushmills distillery. What a lovely part of the world.
Your Staycation on 23:21 - Apr 16 with 3112 viewswombat

Your Staycation on 23:08 - Apr 16 by MickS

I’ll look into that tomorrow mate for when we are next over - I fancy getting over to Strangford Lough next visit.

I got very tipsy after the very generous tasting session at the Bushmills distillery. What a lovely part of the world.

Norfolk for a long weekend end of may and Dorset for a week middle of July , lay odds its hammering down both times can’t bloody wait , it’s the lack of going anywhere in the last year or so that’s done me in more than anything , no away games to look forward to every other week had been the worst

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Your Staycation on 23:37 - Apr 16 with 3082 viewsloftboy

Your Staycation on 23:08 - Apr 16 by MickS

Went to NI 3 years ago, did a week, stayed in Belfast, every days pub crawl with a visit to the titanic museum, crumlin road Gaol, a coach trip to the giants causeway, was pissing down so had a quick butchers and spent three hours in the bar of the hotel that’s there, stopped at bushmills on the way back.
The pubs are brilliant and I can recommend a pint of smithwicks Blonde.

Your Staycation on 23:40 - Apr 16 with 3078 viewsloftboy

Your Staycation on 22:51 - Apr 16 by gobbles

A staycation is when you stay at home and go on day outs as if you are a tourist. Travelling away from home in the UK is a holiday

I stated something similar a whilst back on the random irritation thread, when did going on holiday in this country become a staycation, it’s almost as if if you don’t go abroad then it’s not a holiday.

Your Staycation on 07:27 - Apr 17 with 2893 viewsdmm

Off to deepest Suffolk in a couple of weeks. I may be some time...
Your Staycation on 08:13 - Apr 17 with 2864 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Your Staycation on 23:40 - Apr 16 by loftboy

I stated something similar a whilst back on the random irritation thread, when did going on holiday in this country become a staycation, it’s almost as if if you don’t go abroad then it’s not a holiday.

Reckon Toast said this tongue in cheek. No one I know has ever used the word!
Your Staycation on 10:10 - Apr 17 with 2755 viewsgobbles

Your Staycation on 08:13 - Apr 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

Reckon Toast said this tongue in cheek. No one I know has ever used the word!

It was used in the wrong sense in the banner headline on the front of the Daily Mirror the other day
Your Staycation on 10:14 - Apr 17 with 2746 viewsToast_R

Just thinking though, the continental tourist industry is going to be completely f*cked, how much of it will survive this?

News yesterday was reporting 6 hour queues at airports just on ourside and epensive covid testing that is self funded. I had a 4 hour queue once getting through security in Cuba, tempers were fraying, flights were delayed, people losing their sh*t with each other. 6 hours with kids is a complete non starter if you want to travel abroad IMO
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 10:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024