Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Different league. 21:57 - Apr 24 with 940 viewsqpr_1968

watched a catch up on this documentary about derry city, from the troubles in 1972, to 1985. a group of men, the gang of four, got derry back on their feet, doing the trebel and beating benfica in 1989.
loved the quote from one of their fans..."we could'nt afford tickets, so we all stood on the grass verge that overlooked one part of the stadium, we called it skint hill".

well worth a butchers.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Different league. on 22:04 - Apr 24 with 919 viewseastside_r

The bald geezer with glasses was great (so he was.)
Different league. on 16:01 - Apr 25 with 692 viewsBoston

Not sure what year it was, but the late 80's anyway, I was spending Christmas / New Year in Waterford City and had nipped out to the shops for some breakfast fodder when down the road I spotted what looked very much like football coaches coming toward me. Must be mistaken thought I, none of that lark in Ireland. Well, low and behold, I'm passed by 7/8 buses full of Derry fans heading for an away fixture against the local outfit, Waterford Utd. Now, this showed some degree of enthusiasm as the match was either an 11 or 11.30am kick off and if you ever drove in Ireland back then and, have knowledge of geography, those fans must have departed in the middle of the night!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 16:02]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Different league. on 16:05 - Apr 25 with 677 viewsqpr_1968

Different league. on 16:01 - Apr 25 by Boston

Not sure what year it was, but the late 80's anyway, I was spending Christmas / New Year in Waterford City and had nipped out to the shops for some breakfast fodder when down the road I spotted what looked very much like football coaches coming toward me. Must be mistaken thought I, none of that lark in Ireland. Well, low and behold, I'm passed by 7/8 buses full of Derry fans heading for an away fixture against the local outfit, Waterford Utd. Now, this showed some degree of enthusiasm as the match was either an 11 or 11.30am kick off and if you ever drove in Ireland back then and, have knowledge of geography, those fans must have departed in the middle of the night!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 16:02]

your right, the programme showed the fans travelling to away games en masse, and as you say, mostly by coach.
think the first team they played in the republic was shamrock rovers, derry easily outnumbered the home fans.

i've driven all over southern ireland, and your right about the roads, about 20 year ago.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Different league. on 17:33 - Apr 25 with 552 viewsBoston

Skint Hill...ended his career at Carlisle don't ya know.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024