Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Musings on summer ins and outs 07:46 - May 2 with 7319 viewsdmm

We have an intriguing summer ahead in terms of reshaping the squad for the 2021/22 season.

First, retention. Can we afford to keep our best players and winter loans? Our present squad has pretty much produced promotion form since the turn of the year. Keeping things as much as they are will, for once, be as important as making changes.

Outs. I can see Lumley, Cameron, Owens, Smyth and Oteh going/being released at the end of their contracts, with Austin and Johansen not being retained. It looks like Kane will be moved on in some way. The usual slew of U23s being will be let go too.

Ins. We know Wallace will get another year and I expect Carroll could get one too. Field and de Wijs should get contracts too. Assuming all of the above we shouldn’t have too many vacant positions to fill, perhaps just a centre back, right wing back and striker.

One other issue would be loans out. I’d like to see Joe Walsh, Conor Masterson, Faysal Bettache and Charlie Kelman go out on short loans, say 3 months, to sharpen them up for the first team. We’ll obviously need a strong squad to do that.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 7:52]
Musings on summer ins and outs on 08:52 - May 2 with 4540 viewsstevec

I’d unload the entire Under 23 squad, Hamalamadingdong, Lumley, Bonne, LTC and sell off three sides of the ground to keep Austin, Johansen and Field.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 13:09 - May 2 with 4219 viewsT_Block

It s good it is not your decision then
Musings on summer ins and outs on 13:23 - May 2 with 4182 viewsterryb

I have a feeling, based on absolutely nothing, that the club will be doing their upmost to sign Johansen.

If they are not sucessful, please could I ask who are the alternatives? When I was young I would have known which players played for which club, what their position was, whether they would be a direct replacement etc.

Now, as an oldie, I have none of that information. I'm sure some of our posters (rsonist?, simmo? Clive? or others) will know the score. Realistic options only please!
Musings on summer ins and outs on 16:11 - May 2 with 3984 viewsbosh67

Musings on summer ins and outs on 13:23 - May 2 by terryb

I have a feeling, based on absolutely nothing, that the club will be doing their upmost to sign Johansen.

If they are not sucessful, please could I ask who are the alternatives? When I was young I would have known which players played for which club, what their position was, whether they would be a direct replacement etc.

Now, as an oldie, I have none of that information. I'm sure some of our posters (rsonist?, simmo? Clive? or others) will know the score. Realistic options only please!

The alternative to Johansen if we can't keep him would be Bannan from Wednesday. He's very much a QPR style playmaker, but hoping beyond hope that Johansen stays.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Musings on summer ins and outs on 16:20 - May 2 with 3961 viewsdmm

Musings on summer ins and outs on 16:11 - May 2 by bosh67

The alternative to Johansen if we can't keep him would be Bannan from Wednesday. He's very much a QPR style playmaker, but hoping beyond hope that Johansen stays.

Bannan is certainly a good player but at 5' 6" he'd be yet another in a QPR squad with several shorties, i.e. Chair, Thomas and even Amos at 5' 10". A vertically challenged midfield could be problematic.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 16:43 - May 2 with 3903 viewsjohncharles

Musings on summer ins and outs on 08:52 - May 2 by stevec

I’d unload the entire Under 23 squad, Hamalamadingdong, Lumley, Bonne, LTC and sell off three sides of the ground to keep Austin, Johansen and Field.

Oooooo you are a wag 😁

Strong and stable my arse.

Musings on summer ins and outs on 16:47 - May 2 with 3892 viewsMaggsinho

Im sure the club will have a list of potential targets already identified. I don’t recall any sort of clamour for Johansen before we signed him so there will be others out there.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:23 - May 2 with 3789 viewsrsonist

Bannan would be in high demand, is already probably on more than we can afford, and for some reason just signed a new deal to boot.

Think we can forget any expectations of seamlessly replacing the same craft, graft and nous than SJ's given us. He's an expensive short cut for a reason.

There's always players about though if we're prepared to be patient with them. In terms of direct style similarities I dunno, Scott Fraser at MK Dons and Callum Guy at Carlisle in the league below have eye-catching records this season.
Login to get fewer ads

Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:32 - May 2 with 3751 viewsRog

We've had two summers of massive turnover can we please just have a very quiet one and let this group carry on the good work we've seen so far in 2021?
Musings on summer ins and outs on 08:11 - May 3 with 3470 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Fingers crossed there will be a queue of clubs wafting £12/£13 million for Kane
Musings on summer ins and outs on 08:28 - May 3 with 3428 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm not going to get my hopes up but any one of our loanees will do for me.

or two...maybe..thr...

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Musings on summer ins and outs on 09:13 - May 3 with 3335 viewsBerkoRanger

I have a feeling, based on absolutely nothing, that the club will be doing their upmost to really go for promotion next season.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 09:47 - May 3 with 3264 viewsterryb

Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:23 - May 2 by rsonist

Bannan would be in high demand, is already probably on more than we can afford, and for some reason just signed a new deal to boot.

Think we can forget any expectations of seamlessly replacing the same craft, graft and nous than SJ's given us. He's an expensive short cut for a reason.

There's always players about though if we're prepared to be patient with them. In terms of direct style similarities I dunno, Scott Fraser at MK Dons and Callum Guy at Carlisle in the league below have eye-catching records this season.

Thanks rsonist.

I wasn't really expecting anyone to have the same qualities as SJ available, but I'd not a clue as to any up & coming player.

I do recall that we've managed to sign one or two reasonable players from Carlisle in the past!
Musings on summer ins and outs on 10:10 - May 3 with 3198 viewsNorthernr

Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:32 - May 2 by Rog

We've had two summers of massive turnover can we please just have a very quiet one and let this group carry on the good work we've seen so far in 2021?

This is the big one for me.
Also, given recent signing history, Thomas, Willock, Dykes etc it's probably somebody we're not going to have heard about until we hear about them. I think only Dickie from Oxford was common knowledge before it happened, we're pretty tight on leaks.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 14:24 - May 3 with 2991 viewsdubaistu

I wouldn't mind Tom Lawrence if Derby go down.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 16:01 - May 3 with 2859 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Musings on summer ins and outs on 14:24 - May 3 by dubaistu

I wouldn't mind Tom Lawrence if Derby go down.

As a Welshman i would have to disagree. He has had a questionable few years form wise and has looked average when he has been in and around the Wales team. Compounded by a questionable morale compass - he was the driver that left our future forever R inductee Richard Keogh almost for dead - they didn't sack him because he had a resale value!
Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:26 - May 3 with 2744 viewsderbyhoop

Hopefully, minimum turnover at first team level.

I suspect both Kelly and Lumley will go. And I can't see the logic in retaining Cameron, for all his size and experience. Oteh and Smyth to be released as well.
Unsure about Kane, Hammelainen or Shodipo.
Probably need a backup CB as well as Masterson. Could that be Domi or Gubbins?
It would be great to keep all 4 loanees, but that's a big ask - financially. I hope Field and De Wijs are done deals, already. SJ gives us guile, experience, crisp passing and isn't afraid to take one for the team. In a team of midgets (apart from Ball, Field) that's a good characteristic to have.
If Austin can be persuaded I'm not sure we need anyone else up front. But a loan out for Kelman should help his development.
I wonder if Martell-Crosdale is a possibility. Played a couple of times for U23s and due to be released by Fulham.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:37 - May 3 with 2706 viewsenfieldargh

Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:26 - May 3 by derbyhoop

Hopefully, minimum turnover at first team level.

I suspect both Kelly and Lumley will go. And I can't see the logic in retaining Cameron, for all his size and experience. Oteh and Smyth to be released as well.
Unsure about Kane, Hammelainen or Shodipo.
Probably need a backup CB as well as Masterson. Could that be Domi or Gubbins?
It would be great to keep all 4 loanees, but that's a big ask - financially. I hope Field and De Wijs are done deals, already. SJ gives us guile, experience, crisp passing and isn't afraid to take one for the team. In a team of midgets (apart from Ball, Field) that's a good characteristic to have.
If Austin can be persuaded I'm not sure we need anyone else up front. But a loan out for Kelman should help his development.
I wonder if Martell-Crosdale is a possibility. Played a couple of times for U23s and due to be released by Fulham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martell_Taylor-Crossdale

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Musings on summer ins and outs on 18:08 - May 3 with 2634 viewsgazza1

Re the existing squad.....

It is very debateable if SJ & CA will sign.....it is all down to money & who else wants to sign them. Who knows but maybe another loan jobbie for the season. If they don't resign in some format then we will need to replace them for sure (and we will). It will be a priority to sign them but it has a way to go.

The other two loans (Field & Wijs) that we have are a 'dot on the card'.....both will be Rangers next season and if they are not then there must be major contract issues but I cant see that happening.

I can see both Kane & Lumley leaving unless they are forgiven for their behaviours. LTC will (or should) be released but hopefully Amos will step up again (big question mark on that because of fitness). Likewise Cameron could be 'on his bike'. Whether MW thinks that Masterson is ready to step up will decide if we sign a CB. Likewise big call if MW thinks Niko can cover on the left side but I would keep him to cover Wallace and learn accordingly.

So, incomings will be a forward, midfielder & forward but it does depend on if CA & SJ sign.....dunno who!!

Oh, Captain will be Wallace/Barbet....shocked when it was announced that Cameron was captain this season.
[Post edited 3 May 2021 18:12]
Musings on summer ins and outs on 18:20 - May 3 with 2599 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Martell De-Angelo Taylor-Crossdale

Forget science, forget scouting, forget analysis - if we allow a player with a name this poetic and exotic to slip through our fingers...well, frankly, I'll find it hard to give a good goddamn anymore.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:59 - May 4 with 2307 viewsPinnerPaul

Musings on summer ins and outs on 08:28 - May 3 by Metallica_Hoop

I'm not going to get my hopes up but any one of our loanees will do for me.

or two...maybe..thr...

As has been said before we have options on Field and De Wijs
[Post edited 4 May 2021 18:00]
Musings on summer ins and outs on 18:00 - May 4 with 2302 viewsPinnerPaul

Also, Nick London said on Saturday that Wallace HAS been given another year.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 18:06 - May 4 with 2279 viewsdmm

Musings on summer ins and outs on 17:59 - May 4 by PinnerPaul

As has been said before we have options on Field and De Wijs
[Post edited 4 May 2021 18:00]

Yes, but there may be issues with both.

Field had a loan clause stipulating he play 20 games I think to trigger the option and he hasn't played that many. I hope it's not a problem and we get Field on board.

As for de Wijs, his fitness/injury issues might cause the club to think again. I see there are rumours regarding us being interested in Hibs CB Ryan Porteous. For what it's worth, I think we should give de Wijs a contract.
Musings on summer ins and outs on 18:13 - May 4 with 2248 viewsrobith

Musings on summer ins and outs on 10:10 - May 3 by Northernr

This is the big one for me.
Also, given recent signing history, Thomas, Willock, Dykes etc it's probably somebody we're not going to have heard about until we hear about them. I think only Dickie from Oxford was common knowledge before it happened, we're pretty tight on leaks.

been one of the great signals of the increase in professionalism at the club over the last couple of seasons imo. Run like an actual business instead of telling begfriends on the internet first for clout
Musings on summer ins and outs on 18:13 - May 4 with 2249 viewsgazza1

Musings on summer ins and outs on 18:06 - May 4 by dmm

Yes, but there may be issues with both.

Field had a loan clause stipulating he play 20 games I think to trigger the option and he hasn't played that many. I hope it's not a problem and we get Field on board.

As for de Wijs, his fitness/injury issues might cause the club to think again. I see there are rumours regarding us being interested in Hibs CB Ryan Porteous. For what it's worth, I think we should give de Wijs a contract.

Pretty certain that both of them will sign......CA & SJ are the issues.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 18:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024