Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITK Charlie Austin 13:35 - May 8 with 20659 viewsNoDiddley

Close to signing a 2 year deal.
ITK Charlie Austin on 13:32 - May 10 with 3162 viewsdanehoop

I suspect that there is a realisation by the owners that the current squad/manager have been, by design or by accident, truly one the best we have had in years and have the potential to progress further and certainly be in the mix next season for at least the play-offs.

The temptation must be to decide whether to absolutely push the boat out financially to retain them in hope that we either get promoted or FFP falls away. That said, can't imagine that cash flow is great at the moment for Tune Group given the impact of C19 on Air Asia. So maybe an interesting tightrope to walk for them in balancing risk v reward.

For us as fans, lets be honest it's been a roller coaster year in which we have absolutely over exceeded in the second half of the season and played as good a football as we have since Warnock. If we retained 2 or even 3 out of the loans (as long as one was Norwegian) I'd be super happy.

Never knowingly understood

ITK Charlie Austin on 13:44 - May 10 with 3080 viewsBAWHoops

This summer is a huge test for 'the project'.

It's taken 6 years since we were relegated from the Prem, but the oil tanker has been turned and we are facing the right direction.
No need to blow it all up to sign 2x 30 year olds.

We've lost Eze, Bright, Manning, Wells and Hugill and eventually managed to replace them all.

Let's trust the process

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

ITK Charlie Austin on 13:45 - May 10 with 3075 viewsTheChef

ITK Charlie Austin on 13:32 - May 10 by danehoop

I suspect that there is a realisation by the owners that the current squad/manager have been, by design or by accident, truly one the best we have had in years and have the potential to progress further and certainly be in the mix next season for at least the play-offs.

The temptation must be to decide whether to absolutely push the boat out financially to retain them in hope that we either get promoted or FFP falls away. That said, can't imagine that cash flow is great at the moment for Tune Group given the impact of C19 on Air Asia. So maybe an interesting tightrope to walk for them in balancing risk v reward.

For us as fans, lets be honest it's been a roller coaster year in which we have absolutely over exceeded in the second half of the season and played as good a football as we have since Warnock. If we retained 2 or even 3 out of the loans (as long as one was Norwegian) I'd be super happy.

Well yeah there's pushing the boat out, but also throwing out the baby with the bathwater (gotta love some mixed metaphors).

My expectations are that we won't have Austin or Johansen next season, of course would be delighted if we did. But not if it's a sh1t or bust approach.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

ITK Charlie Austin on 13:59 - May 10 with 3001 viewsQPR_John

ITK Charlie Austin on 13:44 - May 10 by BAWHoops

It's taken 6 years since we were relegated from the Prem, but the oil tanker has been turned and we are facing the right direction.

We've lost Eze, Bright, Manning, Wells and Hugill and eventually managed to replace them all.

Let's trust the process

“ but the oil tanker has been turned and we are facing the right direction.
No need to blow it all up to sign 2x 30 year olds. ”

But it could be argue the tanker was only turned when those 2 x 30 year olds turned up
ITK Charlie Austin on 14:33 - May 10 with 2920 viewsBenny_the_Ball

ITK Charlie Austin on 23:18 - May 8 by EalingHoop81

Yes I agree - I think the accounting would also amortise the contract over the life too. Apologies I had misunderstood your post and was thinking about player sales

No apology required; accounting at the best of times is a minefield, and you're right to mention player sales. Until I read the article below, I didn't appreciate how selling a player for less than you originally paid for him can still result in a profit being recorded, thanks, in part, to amortisation.

https://tomkinstimes.com/2014/07/ffp-and-the-amortisation-of-suarez/

It also explains why some clubs extend a player's contract even when he has years left on his existing one or why players like Harry Kane get a 6-year contract.
ITK Charlie Austin on 14:41 - May 10 with 2885 viewsdaveB

Let's trust the process

Senior players are always important, we used to be very good at getting in players at the tail end of their careers and getting a lot of of them going back to Frank McClintock and Dave Webb and then later the likes of Mark Falco, Trevor Francis, Peter Reid and of course Ray Wilkins. Modern day you have Steve Palmer, Clint Hill and Shaun Derry.

These senior players are key to us going forward, we have a very good crop of young players but they need guidance on the pitch. Whoever we sign as the senior ones next season how good they are will be key to how we do.
ITK Charlie Austin on 14:43 - May 10 with 2875 viewsW7Ranger

ITK Charlie Austin on 14:41 - May 10 by daveB

Senior players are always important, we used to be very good at getting in players at the tail end of their careers and getting a lot of of them going back to Frank McClintock and Dave Webb and then later the likes of Mark Falco, Trevor Francis, Peter Reid and of course Ray Wilkins. Modern day you have Steve Palmer, Clint Hill and Shaun Derry.

These senior players are key to us going forward, we have a very good crop of young players but they need guidance on the pitch. Whoever we sign as the senior ones next season how good they are will be key to how we do.

Paul Furlong
ITK Charlie Austin on 14:57 - May 10 with 2817 viewsstrikerace

Austin averaged a goal for every 189 minutes, so slightly over 1 goal every 2 matches. Over a season that puts him at over 23 goals. The next closest was Dykes who was a goal every 3 matches (or so). This isn't even counting his influence. He was a huge part of our 2nd half success
Login to get fewer ads

ITK Charlie Austin on 15:14 - May 10 with 2774 viewsBenny_the_Ball

ITK Charlie Austin on 11:01 - May 10 by daveB

Not sure thats embarrassing, seems a fair and positive post from Fernandes.

I hope all 4 loans stay, we shouldn't be breaking the bank to keep them but the cost of getting similar loans to those 4 for next season won't be cheap so we should be doing all we can and I'm sure the club will.

Austin has been sensational for us, his influence over the team has been incredible brought a real winners mentality to the group and set very high standards. Honestly if he signs the thought of a packed Loftus Road in August with him scoring will bring me to tears or orgasm, possibly both
[Post edited 10 May 2021 11:01]

If that's how you plan to celebrate then please ensure that you respect social distancing!
ITK Charlie Austin on 16:04 - May 10 with 2654 viewslondonscottish

ITK Charlie Austin on 13:32 - May 10 by danehoop

I thought Ruben was the money man now. His family's into container ports and they've just had a bumper year. His dad's just hit the Forbes billionaire list @ $1.7bn

https://firstclasse.com.my/4-malaysians-forbes-worlds-billionaires-2021/

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

ITK Charlie Austin on 16:15 - May 10 with 2601 viewsdaveB

ITK Charlie Austin on 15:14 - May 10 by Benny_the_Ball

If that's how you plan to celebrate then please ensure that you respect social distancing!

If he signs It's probably best I stay at home for the first few games
ITK Charlie Austin on 16:56 - May 10 with 2471 viewsCiderwithRsie

On the "senior players" thing I feel Johansen is a bigger deal than Charlie. Best central midfielder we've had since Wilkins IMO.
ITK Charlie Austin on 17:02 - May 10 with 2438 viewsdannyblue

ITK Charlie Austin on 16:04 - May 10 by londonscottish

I thought Ruben was the money man now. His family's into container ports and they've just had a bumper year. His dad's just hit the Forbes billionaire list @ $1.7bn

https://firstclasse.com.my/4-malaysians-forbes-worlds-billionaires-2021/

Interesting. Good news for us.

I had just been waiting for the Tune house of cards to collapse and for us to get burned in the fall out, and kept being surprised when it didn't happen. On the face of it this makes that a much more distant prospect and helps me take the owners at their word. Thanks for sharing.
ITK Charlie Austin on 18:14 - May 10 with 2275 viewsW7Ranger

ITK Charlie Austin on 16:56 - May 10 by CiderwithRsie

On the "senior players" thing I feel Johansen is a bigger deal than Charlie. Best central midfielder we've had since Wilkins IMO.

What about Ale??
ITK Charlie Austin on 19:37 - May 10 with 2103 viewsChrisNW6

ITK Charlie Austin on 18:14 - May 10 by W7Ranger

What about Ale??

Pains me to say but I think Johansen shades it on creativity stats. I would expect 8-10 goals a season plus assists.
ITK Charlie Austin on 19:42 - May 10 with 2082 viewsHunterhoop

ITK Charlie Austin on 19:37 - May 10 by ChrisNW6

Pains me to say but I think Johansen shades it on creativity stats. I would expect 8-10 goals a season plus assists.

Burn him!

Sorry, Cider. Wholly disagree. Ale did in the Premier League. Was on the verge of a call up to the Argentina squad a move to Spurs when he bust his knee half way through the season. Johansen has not done it in the Prem.

Off the ball, Ale won a lot more loose balls too.

Johansen is very good but Ale was comfortably better, IMO. He holds the “best since Wilkins” mantle.
ITK Charlie Austin on 23:13 - May 10 with 1840 viewsBrianMcCarthy

ITK Charlie Austin on 14:57 - May 10 by strikerace

Austin averaged a goal for every 189 minutes, so slightly over 1 goal every 2 matches. Over a season that puts him at over 23 goals. The next closest was Dykes who was a goal every 3 matches (or so). This isn't even counting his influence. He was a huge part of our 2nd half success

Austin was definitely influential, but I'd look at the match slightly differently.

He played 21 games for us and was suspended/unavailable for 3, so the Maths I would use is:

(21+3) / 8 = 3 matches per goal.

So, a goal every three games, which would put him at 15.3 goals a league season.

The main difference is that we rarely got 90 minutes from Auston (maybe twice? I'm guessing). It does alter the numbers, though.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

ITK Charlie Austin on 23:15 - May 10 with 1831 viewsBrianMcCarthy

ITK Charlie Austin on 16:56 - May 10 by CiderwithRsie

Big call, but you might be right - if he's not the best since Wilkins he's not far off.

ITK Charlie Austin on 23:20 - May 10 with 1804 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Let's trust the process

I agree that it would be foolish to blow the entire budget on these 2 but I disagree that we adequately replaced the players that we lost. In December 2020 the 'project' was heading for League 1. The January loans turned our season around; to continue this momentum either they need to be signed or adequate replacements found.
ITK Charlie Austin on 23:29 - May 10 with 1769 viewsBrianMcCarthy

ITK Charlie Austin on 23:20 - May 10 by Benny_the_Ball

I agree that it would be foolish to blow the entire budget on these 2 but I disagree that we adequately replaced the players that we lost. In December 2020 the 'project' was heading for League 1. The January loans turned our season around; to continue this momentum either they need to be signed or adequate replacements found.

"to continue this momentum either they need to be signed or adequate replacements found."

I agree 100% with this, Benny.

I don't think we can say for certain that we were heading for League 1 - after all we weren't in the relegation zone. But, ya, things didn't look great.

I also think that while the loans had a huge impact, we have to remember that we looked much improved in the three games prior to their arrival thanks to the change to 3412/342, so Warburton's decision to change formation also had a impact.

ITK Charlie Austin on 23:53 - May 10 with 1722 viewsCiderwithRsie

ITK Charlie Austin on 19:42 - May 10 by Hunterhoop

Burn him!

Sorry, Cider. Wholly disagree. Ale did in the Premier League. Was on the verge of a call up to the Argentina squad a move to Spurs when he bust his knee half way through the season. Johansen has not done it in the Prem.

Off the ball, Ale won a lot more loose balls too.

Johansen is very good but Ale was comfortably better, IMO. He holds the “best since Wilkins” mantle.

Bloody good company to be in, either way.
ITK Charlie Austin on 03:13 - May 11 with 1623 viewsBenny_the_Ball

ITK Charlie Austin on 23:29 - May 10 by BrianMcCarthy

"to continue this momentum either they need to be signed or adequate replacements found."

I agree 100% with this, Benny.

I don't think we can say for certain that we were heading for League 1 - after all we weren't in the relegation zone. But, ya, things didn't look great.

I also think that while the loans had a huge impact, we have to remember that we looked much improved in the three games prior to their arrival thanks to the change to 3412/342, so Warburton's decision to change formation also had a impact.

We'll never know for certain (thank god) but in early January we were 4th from bottom with 21 points from 22 matches. Our form was wretched, the manager was under huge pressure and league 1 was looming large. Whilst the change of formation was a factor, you need the right players to execute it properly and this is where the loan signings helped.
ITK Charlie Austin on 06:46 - May 11 with 1532 viewsE15Hoop

ITK Charlie Austin on 03:13 - May 11 by Benny_the_Ball

We'll never know for certain (thank god) but in early January we were 4th from bottom with 21 points from 22 matches. Our form was wretched, the manager was under huge pressure and league 1 was looming large. Whilst the change of formation was a factor, you need the right players to execute it properly and this is where the loan signings helped.

I don't think there's any disputing this fact, and it's 100% clear from the mood music inside LR that the priority this summer is to sign all 4 loan players. Both MW and TF have been very clear on exactly that point.
ITK Charlie Austin on 07:01 - May 11 with 1491 viewsBrianMcCarthy

ITK Charlie Austin on 03:13 - May 11 by Benny_the_Ball

"Whilst the change of formation was a factor, you need the right players to execute it properly and this is where the loan signings helped."

Agree completely, Benny.

ITK Charlie Austin on 07:14 - May 11 with 1466 viewsdistortR

ITK Charlie Austin on 06:46 - May 11 by E15Hoop

I don't think there's any disputing this fact, and it's 100% clear from the mood music inside LR that the priority this summer is to sign all 4 loan players. Both MW and TF have been very clear on exactly that point.

ok, what is the exact mood music? I need to know

I reckon Warbs is putting this banger on

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024