Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super Monday 10:10 - May 15 with 1020 viewscolinallcars

Just a few days 'til pubs open indoors again. I can't get away with the outdoor drinking and we've been unlucky with the weather.
I've seen a few pubs which look highly unlikely to reopen.
Anyone got any news on their local pubs ?
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:50 - May 15 with 957 viewstraininvain

I think most will be ok for the time being as they haven’t had to pay rent for over a year due to the lease forfeiture moratorium and government support (furlough etc).

The main question I’m hearing from pub operators (leaseholders anyway) is what happens to the massive rent debt bubble that’s been built up over the last year when the lease forfeiture moratorium ends in June. Most will be unable to afford to pay rent for periods they have been unable to trade due to government enforced closure (10 out of the last 14 months). Conversely, landlords will ask why they should foot the bill when they have financial commitments to banks etc and contractual leases in place with tenants.

Will the moratorium be extended or the govt intervene to write off some or all of the debt (which has implications for landlords who are not all big corporates, pension funds) or will free market take over in which case expect to see a lot of vacant pubs and restaurants, albeit most of the half decent venues will be acquired by other businesses in the sector.

Another difficult decision for the govt and one they have been kicking down the road since the start of the pandemic perhaps with justification given its complexity. The govt has issued guidance that landlords and tenants should try to agree rent deferment plans and deals where possible but this has unsurprisingly not resolved the problem.

[Post edited 15 May 2021 10:58]
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:51 - May 15 with 956 viewstraininvain

Super Monday on 12:33 - May 15 with 839 viewsstowmarketrange

My local pub is 2.6 miles away and is advertising that they need a new chef,so that looks promising for it reopening.
The weather isn’t great up here today,but I might have a pedal down there a bit later and have a pint of Guinness sitting in the garden.

I stupidly signed up to cycle 100 miles this month for prostate cancer uk,and so far I’m stuck on 23 with 16 days to go.My plan is to do a 5 mile circuit to the pub and back today at least twice.That’ll be 10 miles and at least 2 pints down.I’m not sure that I’d remember to take my bike if I went for a third lap.
Super Monday on 13:17 - May 15 with 795 viewsPinnerPaul

I thought you were going to tell us that Charlie and Sam were being announced on Monday!
Super Monday on 15:16 - May 15 with 668 viewstraininvain

Super Monday on 12:33 - May 15 by stowmarketrange

My local pub is 2.6 miles away and is advertising that they need a new chef,so that looks promising for it reopening.
The weather isn’t great up here today,but I might have a pedal down there a bit later and have a pint of Guinness sitting in the garden.

I stupidly signed up to cycle 100 miles this month for prostate cancer uk,and so far I’m stuck on 23 with 16 days to go.My plan is to do a 5 mile circuit to the pub and back today at least twice.That’ll be 10 miles and at least 2 pints down.I’m not sure that I’d remember to take my bike if I went for a third lap.

Staff shortages have become a major issue for hospitality businesses, particularly in London and the south east. Lots of EU nationals have returned home over the last year. I’ve heard stories of employers trying to bring staff back from furlough only to find they’re back in Poland, Greece, Italy etc. So they’ve been getting paid via furlough even though they’re no longer in the country and have no intention of returning.

Good luck with the cycling!
[Post edited 15 May 2021 15:17]
Super Monday on 17:13 - May 15 with 611 viewsstowmarketrange

Super Monday on 12:33 - May 15 by stowmarketrange

The pub doesn’t open until Wednesday so I did one lap of 5 miles and I’m having a pint indoors.Not sure about the 2nd lap now.Come on leicester.
2nd lap done too.Now enjoying another beer or two.
[Post edited 15 May 2021 18:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024