Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hopes for the next 5 years 09:33 - May 18 with 5350 viewsdmm

I suspect this question may have been discussed before - my apologies if it's been done to death.

As we look toward next season I wondered what we might hope for over the next 5 years and more? I certainly fall into the 'It's more fun on the Championship' club, but accept the arguments against that view. We're in a professional and competitive sport and must look to achieve the best outcomes we possibly can. If we stay in the Championship as a really decent footballing side, I'd be happy, but nonetheless going further than that could be very exciting too.

With that in mind, I'd hope for promotion but using it to build the squad for a few yoyo years to try and establish ourselves in the PL. I'd also hope for the vast increase in income to be used toward a new stadium and continued development of the youth programme.

I guess the next question would then be, 'What next...'. But that's perhaps for another day.
Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:39 - May 18 with 3377 viewsgazza1

Premiership - 100%
Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:48 - May 18 with 3359 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Continued excellence from the club on community and ethics fronts.
Training Ground completed.
A united fanbase.
Continued player development.
Financial stability.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:53 - May 18 with 3343 viewsfrancisbowles

Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:48 - May 18 by BrianMcCarthy

A united fanbase.
Financial stability.

All of that Brian and next on the list:
Competitive.

After all it's why we watch football.
Happily, I think we are well on our way to all of the list.
Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:54 - May 18 with 3342 viewsgazza1

Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:48 - May 18 by BrianMcCarthy

A united fanbase.
Financial stability.

1 - Dont really care about it
2 - Premiership would be a massive help
3 - Already got that - fantastic supporters
4 - that is part of QPR now, it wont change while we have this management team
5 - Premiership will assist massive.

Hope that helps
Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:55 - May 18 with 3344 viewsjoe90

We need to continue to build the infrastructure behind the scenes. Get the training ground sorted ASAP, get the youth team training in the same place as the pro's. Continue to develop our 'brand' of football and bringing in young players into the first team and getting others out on loan. I don't want to see us in the Premier League at all costs. We've been there done that, time do things differently - which we're doing.

What we had this season was a team that competed to the very end. If we can keep that mindset for the next five years we'll see some very entertaining football and the results will follow.
[Post edited 18 May 2021 9:56]
Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:10 - May 18 with 3310 viewsTonto

Gazza - sorry got to disagree. We do NOT have a united fanbase. here are so many different factions and groups. You can see at the fans events how different opinions are. heck you only have to read the opinions expressed on here to see that.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:11 - May 18 with 3292 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:53 - May 18 by francisbowles

All of that Brian and next on the list:
Competitive.

After all it's why we watch football.
Happily, I think we are well on our way to all of the list.

Oh, I agree completely. And I think that will follow if we get the basics right.

Without the basics, we have seen that it's much harder to achieve.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:12 - May 18 with 3285 viewsPBLOCK

Ultimately my hope / dream is to be in the Premier League and maybe a cup final.

I think it’s about how we go about it and right now we seem to be doing it the right way. If we were to go back up I don’t want us to then bin all the hard work by going out a buying players who are only coming for the huge pay, I’d much rather keep trying to make shrewd signings with sell on value and if we go down we are then in a good place to try again like Norwich have done.

Getting the infrastructure in place is also key (New training ground, new ground etc)

I think right now we are doing well and seem to have a plan something we didn’t have a few years ago
Login to get fewer ads

Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:16 - May 18 with 3249 viewsgazza1

Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:10 - May 18 by Tonto

Gazza - sorry got to disagree. We do NOT have a united fanbase. here are so many different factions and groups. You can see at the fans events how different opinions are. heck you only have to read the opinions expressed on here to see that.

I know what you mean Tonto but we all want Rangers to win and the club to do well - simplistic I know.....always differing opinions about players, management, the club, etc, etc..
Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:21 - May 18 with 3231 viewsdaveB

I don't buy into football is more fun in the championship, football is a nightmare regardless of the division if you are losing every week.

I hope in 5 years we have won promotion again and don't self harm in the process or make fools of ourselves when/if it happens again.
Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:23 - May 18 with 3215 viewscolinallcars

To be a force in this league. I know people say that getting to the Prem would give us financial stability - if handled correctly, but I would dread being in the Prem again. For me, it's like a circus, and the thought of VAR being used in our games, well 'nuff said.
Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:29 - May 18 with 3179 viewsMaggsinho

Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:23 - May 18 by colinallcars

To be a force in this league. I know people say that getting to the Prem would give us financial stability - if handled correctly, but I would dread being in the Prem again. For me, it's like a circus, and the thought of VAR being used in our games, well 'nuff said.

Doesn't being a force in this league ultimately lead to the Prem though? Five years of finishing seventh or losing in the play offs would become a bit draining.
Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:46 - May 18 with 3113 viewsBazzeR

To keep our present owners and management team together.
To win Promotion and sustain our position there.
To incorporate a new Stadium plan on Concorde site alongside the new Training Ground
Hopes for the next 5 years on 11:01 - May 18 with 3090 viewsderbyhoop

We have to aim for a PL return.
But, this time, use the money to update the infrastructure, rather than blowing it all on players' wages and over-inflated transfer fees. If that means making progress to a new, bigger, better equipped stadium, so be it.
Don't worry about being a yo-yo club

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hopes for the next 5 years on 11:04 - May 18 with 3085 viewsMelakaRanger

I'd like to see us promoted in the next year or two. Then keep the team and manager together - unlike 10 years ago. We'll most likley get relegated but we should accept that and keep the faith in the team and the manager and bank the £s. Then with an existing strong team and a (now) strong bank balance we should ideally get straight back up but this time our strengthened team/manager/finances should allow us to stay up - even if its just about. Then constant , slow, improvement therafter. No more splash the cash!

I was lucky to see the 'Great' QPR teams of the 60s, 70s and 80s. I dont expect to see such 'greatness' again in my lifetime but I am convinced that in the latter half of this decide we will be well set into a Premiership reign - most likley hovering around the 12th/13th/14th positions. That'd do for me !!

New Stadium? I cant see that for at least 20 years .
Hopes for the next 5 years on 11:12 - May 18 with 3069 viewsrsonist

"I guess the next question would then be, 'What next...'. But that's perhaps for another day. "

Except it really isn't. Real, actual, concrete ambition for a club like us doesn't involve "we'll figure it out when we get there", and doesn't then invoke nihilistic glass ceilings to excuse failure that results from that. It doesn't daydream about Leicester miracles either. It isn't swapping a purgatory trading hand to mouth to stay afloat in 16th in the Championship for a purgatory trading hand to mouth to stay afloat in 16th in the Premier League. "Established" doesn't mean "avoiding relegation for a few years in a row" and if we balls up we'll figure it out when we get there again but with more money so maybe it'll be easier to get back to the purgatory.

What it is, however, is and can only be going up with an identity, a style of play, an infrastructure, a recruitment model that is repeatable and scalable year on year. Things in which we unwaveringly believe that if we keep on doing without error will always lead to progress and growth. Like coach says... success is not a goal, it's a by-product. The timeframe is irrelevant.
[Post edited 18 May 2021 11:15]
Hopes for the next 5 years on 11:48 - May 18 with 3019 viewsdmm

Hopes for the next 5 years on 11:12 - May 18 by rsonist

"I guess the next question would then be, 'What next...'. But that's perhaps for another day. "

Except it really isn't. Real, actual, concrete ambition for a club like us doesn't involve "we'll figure it out when we get there", and doesn't then invoke nihilistic glass ceilings to excuse failure that results from that. It doesn't daydream about Leicester miracles either. It isn't swapping a purgatory trading hand to mouth to stay afloat in 16th in the Championship for a purgatory trading hand to mouth to stay afloat in 16th in the Premier League. "Established" doesn't mean "avoiding relegation for a few years in a row" and if we balls up we'll figure it out when we get there again but with more money so maybe it'll be easier to get back to the purgatory.

What it is, however, is and can only be going up with an identity, a style of play, an infrastructure, a recruitment model that is repeatable and scalable year on year. Things in which we unwaveringly believe that if we keep on doing without error will always lead to progress and growth. Like coach says... success is not a goal, it's a by-product. The timeframe is irrelevant.
[Post edited 18 May 2021 11:15]

Thanks rsonist. By "I guess the next question would then be, 'What next...'. But that's perhaps for another day" I meant a question to be discussed for another day on this MB, rather than in terms of the club's strategies.

I actually agree with you, though I suspect that some of the desirable progress you describe would need to take place over a number of seasons due to the increased income required. However, some of that progress is happily well underway already. So for me, if we were promoted in the next few years I can't see us having sufficiently completed the outcomes you list and we'd need a 'Yo-yo' strategy to keep pushing on.
Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:09 - May 18 with 2983 viewsngbqpr

If Warburton is still manager in 5 years, it follows that we will have had our most stable period in decades; that we have been relatively successful (certainly to a level that both fans & owners are happy with); that we have played attractive football; that we'll have had a distinct playing style and off pitch ethos; and most importantly, our players will have learned to look after the football :)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:13 - May 18 with 2971 viewssimmo

Hopes for the next 5 years on 09:54 - May 18 by gazza1

1 - Dont really care about it
2 - Premiership would be a massive help
3 - Already got that - fantastic supporters
4 - that is part of QPR now, it wont change while we have this management team
5 - Premiership will assist massive.

Hope that helps

You don't really care about the club doing great work in the community? What?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:21 - May 18 with 2957 viewsE15Hoop

Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:13 - May 18 by simmo

Well said, Simmo! I was about to say the same thing!

As someone who was born two streets away from where the club was founded, and who's current very hard-working and less than rich girlfriend lives opposite where the club first started playing in Kensal rise, I'm EXTREMELY proud of what the club has been doing on this front.

All clubs SHOULD be contributing to the community, and taking a strong ethical stance. Let's not forget, this club started in a church!
Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:41 - May 18 with 2903 viewsrsonist

Hopes for the next 5 years on 11:48 - May 18 by dmm

Thanks rsonist. By "I guess the next question would then be, 'What next...'. But that's perhaps for another day" I meant a question to be discussed for another day on this MB, rather than in terms of the club's strategies.

I actually agree with you, though I suspect that some of the desirable progress you describe would need to take place over a number of seasons due to the increased income required. However, some of that progress is happily well underway already. So for me, if we were promoted in the next few years I can't see us having sufficiently completed the outcomes you list and we'd need a 'Yo-yo' strategy to keep pushing on.

Point is that ideally there are no additional questions because there is only one answer that we can strategise. Yo-yoing would only be circumstantial to that. And there is no completion.
Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:43 - May 18 with 2904 viewsE15Hoop

Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:21 - May 18 by E15Hoop

Well said, Simmo! I was about to say the same thing!

As someone who was born two streets away from where the club was founded, and who's current very hard-working and less than rich girlfriend lives opposite where the club first started playing in Kensal rise, I'm EXTREMELY proud of what the club has been doing on this front.

All clubs SHOULD be contributing to the community, and taking a strong ethical stance. Let's not forget, this club started in a church!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57155354

How can you not care about this, Gazza?! This story has now got global exposure, as its on the BBC Homepage.

Imagine the impact if it helps Mark Prince reduce the impact of knife crime further..
Hopes for the next 5 years on 13:15 - May 18 with 2851 viewsMatch82

Hopes for the next 5 years on 10:29 - May 18 by Maggsinho

Doesn't being a force in this league ultimately lead to the Prem though? Five years of finishing seventh or losing in the play offs would become a bit draining.

Five years of finishing seventh or losing in the play offs would be draining you say...

Hmmm, does that depend on whether we are also the best team that everybody plays that year and/or lead the league consistently in xG and passes per square centimetre?
Hopes for the next 5 years on 13:46 - May 18 with 2771 viewsgazza1

Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:43 - May 18 by E15Hoop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57155354

How can you not care about this, Gazza?! This story has now got global exposure, as its on the BBC Homepage.

Imagine the impact if it helps Mark Prince reduce the impact of knife crime further..

It is nothing personal and it is touching & sad without doubt but i don't really get myself involved, I'm not into renaming our stadium, BLM doesnt do it for me either, rallies against the country, and all that - not for me I'm afraid but each to their own.
[Post edited 18 May 2021 13:47]
Hopes for the next 5 years on 13:58 - May 18 with 2735 viewsAntti_Heinola

Hopes for the next 5 years on 12:13 - May 18 by simmo

Always remember, he's not a contrarian!

Echo Brian's points, which are uniformly excellent. Community should be at the heart of this club (and all clubs, really). It is vitally important in myriad ways which will, in turn, help build towards success.

In terms of on the pitch, I would like to get a promotion again, but it's not the be all and end all for me. An entertaining side that tries to play attacking football and is challenging at the top end of the table - fantastic.

Have very little desire to see us in the Prem with the monstrous VAR.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024