Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smyth OUT it seems 14:39 - May 19 with 6240 viewsLazyFan

Shame that I quite liked him as a player and thought he would do well on the wing or a nippy striker. But when you have Willock the difference is stark

Sauce:
https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/smyth-set-to-be-released-by-qpr
[Post edited 19 May 2021 14:39]

zzzzzzzzzz

Smyth OUT it seems on 15:17 - May 19 with 4701 viewsMyke

Yes me too. As recently as Christmas, I was disappointed we didn't bring him back into the squad, as I felt he was as good as anything we had at that time. Obviously, Chaz came in, Willock kicked on and Dykes suddenly found his form, so Smyth has been a little left behind. I suppose it's telling that the coaching staff, who have a now firmly established reputation for developing young players, have not tried to work with him more comprehensively. I hope he makes a decent career for himself at League 1 level.
Smyth OUT it seems on 15:49 - May 19 with 4576 viewsTacticalR

Not sure what's happened there. Always looked good for us, so hopefully his career will pick up somewhere else.

Air hostess clique

Smyth OUT it seems on 18:32 - May 19 with 4362 viewsTGRRRSSS

Still young, but his overall stats onloan (lower level) doesn't scream success.

You just never know though, he goes elsewhere the right manager, balance a bit of belief, and away you go...

However I imagine they've seen nothing from his time elsewhere (surely clubs monitor players when out on loan) that suggests he'd develop further for us.
Smyth OUT it seems on 18:42 - May 19 with 4335 viewsed_83

Really odd one. This time last year I was hoping he'd be one to step up in Bright's inevitable absence, but apart from that initial burst of appearances under Holloway he's shown very little in his time here. Successive coaches have seemed not to fancy him at all, which I think is probably quite telling even though I thought there was enough in those first games to suggest that he could do well for us.

I guess time will tell if we've missed something with him or he just isn't quite up to the standard for this league. Either way, good luck to him and hope he finds a team where he fits in.
Smyth OUT it seems on 18:56 - May 19 with 4283 viewsBklynRanger

Bugger
Smyth OUT it seems on 19:03 - May 19 with 4257 viewsderbyhoop

Surely cant come as a surprise.

Hardly pulled up trees at Charlton or Accrington.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Smyth OUT it seems on 19:08 - May 19 with 4237 viewsstevec

Had best part of four years to prove himself.

Stop me if I’ve said this before, but I’m beginning to think the club is getting its mojo back.
Smyth OUT it seems on 19:10 - May 19 with 4229 viewsdaveB

Smyth OUT it seems on 19:08 - May 19 by stevec

Had best part of four years to prove himself.

Stop me if I’ve said this before, but I’m beginning to think the club is getting its mojo back.

only season he played he got young player of the year so not sure how he is supposed to prove himself when he doesn't get a chance.

People were saying the same about Kakay and Deing a year ago
Login to get fewer ads

Smyth OUT it seems on 19:36 - May 19 with 4160 viewsstevec

Smyth OUT it seems on 19:10 - May 19 by daveB

only season he played he got young player of the year so not sure how he is supposed to prove himself when he doesn't get a chance.

People were saying the same about Kakay and Deing a year ago

He’s had a stack of opportunities at league one which came to nothing. How long do you wait?

We’d become a forgotten football club, a home for waifs and strays. Something happened last Xmas in the clubs thinking, lord knows precisely why, but we look like we mean business and fans of other clubs have started to notice we are still a functioning professional football club.

Long may it continue.
Smyth OUT it seems on 19:41 - May 19 with 4141 viewsdaveB

Smyth OUT it seems on 19:36 - May 19 by stevec

He’s had a stack of opportunities at league one which came to nothing. How long do you wait?

We’d become a forgotten football club, a home for waifs and strays. Something happened last Xmas in the clubs thinking, lord knows precisely why, but we look like we mean business and fans of other clubs have started to notice we are still a functioning professional football club.

Long may it continue.

as I said can say the same about Kakay and Deing's loan spells which were hit and miss, i think it's difficult to be a semi regular in the first team to going out on loan. I'm not saying we've missed out on a world beater but he's just drifted away without ever being given a chance here which is not great
Smyth OUT it seems on 19:42 - May 19 with 4140 viewsbosh67

Great shame really. Best debut of a player for many years but never really given a run. Shame.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Smyth OUT it seems on 20:02 - May 19 with 4053 viewspaulparker

Could have been a great player but not given a chance, a bit gutted by this

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Smyth OUT it seems on 20:15 - May 19 with 4007 viewsT_Block

Yes I thought he was very good.Scored an exceptional goal I remember.I thought he had real potential.
Smyth OUT it seems on 21:17 - May 19 with 3784 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I have to admit I've never really seen as much in Smyth as a lot of friends and posters have. He has pace and finished a nice couple of goals, but I didn't see much else that excited me - vision, passing, dribbling, heading. Hope I'm wrong and that he goes on to do well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smyth OUT it seems on 21:36 - May 19 with 3674 viewsTonto

Its a bit of a shame after such a bright start.

But ask yourself this... would he make the first XI? He is nowhere near Chair or Willock.

Is he worth another 2 or 3 years of a contract because he showed potential once but not a great deal since? Probably not. Like Linley best for both to move on.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Smyth OUT it seems on 22:37 - May 19 with 3525 viewsdaveB

Smyth OUT it seems on 21:36 - May 19 by Tonto

Its a bit of a shame after such a bright start.

But ask yourself this... would he make the first XI? He is nowhere near Chair or Willock.

Is he worth another 2 or 3 years of a contract because he showed potential once but not a great deal since? Probably not. Like Linley best for both to move on.

releasing him makes sense, he's not going to break through here now and he needs a move, i just think looking back we really missed an opportunity after Holloway left. that year where we basically sidelined Manning, Smyth and Bright is a real what could have been moment for me and the consequence of that has been we've lost all 3 for nothing
Smyth OUT it seems on 23:03 - May 19 with 3470 viewsLazyFan

Smyth OUT it seems on 22:37 - May 19 by daveB

releasing him makes sense, he's not going to break through here now and he needs a move, i just think looking back we really missed an opportunity after Holloway left. that year where we basically sidelined Manning, Smyth and Bright is a real what could have been moment for me and the consequence of that has been we've lost all 3 for nothing

Don't forget Furlong was mucked about for ages too.

zzzzzzzzzz

Smyth OUT it seems on 23:56 - May 19 with 3383 viewsNed_Kennedys

Saw his debut on loan at Wycombe in League One where he scored a brilliant winner but never really established himself in their promotion team and didn’t score again for them. Can see Gareth signing him now that they have been relegated though.
Smyth OUT it seems on 00:13 - May 20 with 3364 viewsDavieQPR

He has had 69 games out on loan at lower league clubs and managed 8 goals. There is no way he is going to replace any of our first team squad so why have on the wage bill?
Smyth OUT it seems on 07:40 - May 20 with 3180 viewsstevec

Smyth OUT it seems on 19:41 - May 19 by daveB

as I said can say the same about Kakay and Deing's loan spells which were hit and miss, i think it's difficult to be a semi regular in the first team to going out on loan. I'm not saying we've missed out on a world beater but he's just drifted away without ever being given a chance here which is not great

Keepers are a different kettle of fish, many good ones find themselves benched with little opportunities until the incumbent keeper makes a long term consistent fool of himself.

As for Kakay, think the juries still out, looked a lot better as the season ended and less exposed against the myriad of mid table sides not quite, shall we say, as up for it as we were in the closing stages. Let’s see how he goes in the blood and thunder of autumn and winter.

As for Smyth, he must have met a lot of managers in his four years. Maybe it’s not his footballing ability that is the issue. Who knows?
Smyth OUT it seems on 08:10 - May 20 with 3127 viewsgazza1

He is 23, basically done nothing to suggest that he will be a QPR first team player or even a squad player.....why would we give him yet another contract?? We are oa charity for young people.
Smyth OUT it seems on 08:11 - May 20 with 3128 viewsnix

Smyth OUT it seems on 00:13 - May 20 by DavieQPR

He has had 69 games out on loan at lower league clubs and managed 8 goals. There is no way he is going to replace any of our first team squad so why have on the wage bill?

I agree with this, I'm afraid. He did give us some fantastic moments but for whatever reason it faded away and we cannot afford to be nostalgic as a club any more. He wasn't being picked at his other clubs: in three seasons, since being out on loan, he's got eight goals and ten assists. And that's in League 1. Being involved in six goals per season is just not good enough for us these days. I don't know the reason, as I haven't followed him that closely but it doesn't really matter whether it's because he's injured a lot or doesn't train well or just not good enough, we can't afford to keep people on that won't make it.

Gareth Ainsworth is a fine judge of a player and someone you'd want your best young players to play for and he didn't pick him for the play offs or extend his time there. I think we used to keep young players on well past their sell by date: Petrasso, Rees Greggo Cox etc, while missing out on Josh Laurent and Jamal Lowe...

Having said all that I wish him well and hope things look up for him going forward.
Smyth OUT it seems on 09:04 - May 20 with 3028 viewsM40R

Well I've got great memories of his start so best of luck to hi for the future.
Lucky deflection on the first goal but the second was great quick thinking.
Smyth OUT it seems on 10:07 - May 20 with 2910 viewsphilc

Smyth OUT it seems on 22:37 - May 19 by daveB

This was the problem with us changing managers each season, each new one had their own ideas. It must be difficult for a young player on the fringes of the squad, when there is no long term development plan for them.

Hopefully we now seem to have some stability and this might be why we are starting to see more young players breaking through.
Smyth OUT it seems on 11:10 - May 20 with 2835 viewsfrancisbowles

Smyth OUT it seems on 21:17 - May 19 by BrianMcCarthy

I have to admit I've never really seen as much in Smyth as a lot of friends and posters have. He has pace and finished a nice couple of goals, but I didn't see much else that excited me - vision, passing, dribbling, heading. Hope I'm wrong and that he goes on to do well.

I have to agree with this Brian.

He would be way down the pecking order and we have to have limits on the number of players we can contract. He seemed to start his spells with a goal or two but then seemed to fade away. I think it happened with us, Wycombe, Charlton even Northern Ireland.

If we carry on with the current formation, there is no way I could see him as a wing back and he is a bit small to play anywhere else. Yes, Illias may be shorter but he is a bit stronger. Smyth, seemed to get decisions given against him for being too aggressive, having to foul to have any chance of winning a challenge. Not sure the decisions were always correct but in a similar way to Crouch it was an perception which referees seemed to believe.

Anyway best for him he gets a fresh start somewhere, I hope he has a successful career and gets back on the international scene.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024