Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'ere Punte 23:13 - Jun 7 with 2203 viewsBoston

...or anyone else in the construction field, building materials going through the roof(!), over there as well? In the last six months I've experienced a minimum of 30% rising to 250% uptick in wood products with shortages, hit and miss deliveries or no product at all in other areas. I've not passed on the costs as yet but that ends with my next invoice.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 1:51]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'ere Punte on 01:11 - Jun 8 with 2095 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Nightmare situation at the moment Boston from construction to household appliances,furniture and micro chips that are installed into cars .Nothing is off limits and with prices insane home buyers are DOA.Asking price is just the starting point and that is going to end in disaster I fear.
2 times in the last month I recieved the same message " would you like to cancel your order sir"on deliveries 5 weeks late .Both products duly arrived at 9 weeks but the customers were not amused to say the least
Just to have to ride it out I suspect
'ere Punte on 07:16 - Jun 8 with 1975 viewsdistortR

timber up 70% in some cases here, house builders giving potential buyers their deposits back as they can't build them for the agreed price anymore.
I do garden maintenance/landscaping- sourcing plants and mech a problem.
'ere Punte on 07:24 - Jun 8 with 1955 viewsstevec

What’s the cause, Covid effects on business or something more long term?
'ere Punte on 07:30 - Jun 8 with 1947 viewsdistortR

'ere Punte on 07:24 - Jun 8 by stevec

What’s the cause, Covid effects on business or something more long term?

here, covid definitely affecting production, from the factories to the nurseries.
Increased levels of paperwork cited.
And a feeling there is some profiteering going on.
'ere Punte on 08:41 - Jun 8 with 1879 viewskropotkin41

The prices of shipping in containers is going through the roof apparently, thousands more for each container load. I heard from a local builders merchant recently that they can't buy timber now for the price they were selling it at last year.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

'ere Punte on 09:09 - Jun 8 with 1834 viewskingsburyR

'ere Punte on 08:41 - Jun 8 by kropotkin41

The prices of shipping in containers is going through the roof apparently, thousands more for each container load. I heard from a local builders merchant recently that they can't buy timber now for the price they were selling it at last year.

Two key factors.

1) COVID and the down turn in production

2) The Suez being blocked - essential building supplies from Asia blocked for weeks.

The building game is stuffed in the short term. No cement readily available. Timber usually bound for the UK is being snapped up by the yanks and certain large construction projects in this country take priority.

It was never going to be easy coming out of COVID. Tax hikes due soon!

On the bright side, renewed my ST yesterday!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

'ere Punte on 09:16 - Jun 8 with 1817 viewsMrSheen

Read'em and weep.
https://sigdistribution.co.uk/price-changes/
That said, the container disruption is being sorted out now. Companies I've spoken to say stuff that was stuck at sea or waiting at the dockside for space on a ship is now hitting the shops.
'ere Punte on 10:03 - Jun 8 with 1746 viewsderbyhoop

A host of reasons, if reports are to be believed

Covid has reduced supply
The delays in the Suez canal in March are still impacting deliveries from Asia
Shortage of containers worldwide
Shortage of hauliers particularly in the UK. Many were Eastern European and have gone back to their own countries during the pandemic (180,000 is estimate)
Brexit related paperwork causing delays, postponements and cancellations.
Many EU suppliers reluctant to send goods to UK because of issues re documentation and VAT

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

'ere Punte on 10:26 - Jun 8 with 1703 viewsQPR_Jim

I've had mixed messages from steel fabricators, some saying supplies of certain sections are limited and others saying all's fine.

We've had projects where the quantity surveyor has had to uplift the steelwork costs leading to a client review of the business case for the build.
'ere Punte on 12:39 - Jun 8 with 1636 viewsenfieldargh

My company imports container loads of goods from China/asia.

We used to pay between $2.5 & $3.3k for a 40ft shipping container(box).

We have managed to get one thru at $7.5k in a mini window that appeared back in April however he prices were 10-12K then.

Being quoted 14-17k for July with no idea on future rates so expect all imported goods to shoot up .

There is a massive container shortage in China however they are on a container production drive to make up for the shortfall.

It doesnt help that countries like the UK have 10,000 containers sitting in docks/warehouses stuffed full of PPE, much of it not fit for purpose, and thats just UK.

The Suez blockage has also contributed to shortage of containers as ships still have not returned on their routes.

We have already had to implement a 25% price surcharge which will need to be increased again if rates dont drop.

This affects anything being brought in by ships. Aircargo prices also on the up and they were extortionate in the first place.

The actual shipping lines are minting it in and are operating at full capacity so why do they need to drop their rates

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

'ere Punte on 13:33 - Jun 8 with 1540 viewsPunteR

I've been a subby for the last few years so havnt been involved with buying materials.
I know a lot of companies were bulk buying stock at the start of lock down (panic buying) so there probably a backlog from that.
What I have noticed is there is loads of construction work going on.
Without wanting to veer into areas I know nothing about, I do think a lot of people have got a bit more money since lockdown so are extending their property's and refurbing their houses up etc.
I've no idea why costs are going up. Supply and demand possibly?.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

'ere Punte on 14:23 - Jun 8 with 1447 viewsDubaiR

Division manager for Kubota construction. The industry is up 30%, no manufacturer can supply enough machinery right now:
'ere Punte on 02:22 - Jun 9 with 1218 viewsBoston

...and now, the waste disposal company I use have informed me that prices are rising by 12%, effective immediately.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'ere Punte on 21:17 - Jun 21 with 891 viewsTacticalR

'As US consumers venture out again, lumber prices are heading back to earth.

Prices for the wood have pulled back sharply from astronomical heights in recent weeks as homeowners have redirected their spending from building decks and replacing flooring to going out to eat, drink and shop after Covid-19 rules were eased in the US.

Lumber prices have plummeted 48 per cent to $875 per thousand board feet from a peak of $1,686 in early May, reflecting a sharper than expected pullback in renovation projects.

But Kevin Mason, managing director of ERA Forest Products Research, said media reports of soaring prices had caused Americans to hold off buying lumber and pause their DIY projects, which they still intend to execute as working from home endures beyond the pandemic. "It’s more demand deferral than destruction," he said.

The fall in prices has given some economists greater confidence that a burst of inflation will soon pass. Yet prices remain well in excess of the previous 2018 record of $651 per thousand board feet and about three times the historical price average.'

Timber prices fall as US consumers swap DIY for going out
https://www.ft.com/content/38bedc2b-e605-4b7c-8f6e-9f61c398718c

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024