Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Buying a house query 15:02 - Jul 14 with 2321 viewstoboboly

Cheers in advance. Had a search for our possible new house back saying "What is the potential for natural ground instability in the area within 50m of the property?" With the result being "Moderate".

Having been round twice we didn't see any cracks, door frames off etc but you never know. Got the building survey Friday so I forwarded it to them but any help/advice from yourselves would be appreciated.

Property is in N.London not near any mines, railways etc.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Buying a house query on 15:06 - Jul 14 with 2303 viewsBoston

What are the categories…low, moderate & high? Is the house on a hill, close to river or wet land?

Edit….Any idea about the level of the water table?
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 15:09]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Buying a house query on 15:15 - Jul 14 with 2258 viewstoboboly

Buying a house query on 15:06 - Jul 14 by Boston

What are the categories…low, moderate & high? Is the house on a hill, close to river or wet land?

Edit….Any idea about the level of the water table?
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 15:09]

Level is Moderate. Not particularly near any water but there is a stream about a quarter of a mile away. Isn't on a hill.

Buying a house query on 15:20 - Jul 14 with 2245 viewskensalriser

If you're seriously interested in the property, get a proper survey from an independent surveyor, not a lender valuation, which will only be concerned with whether the property satisfies the requirement as collateral against the loan

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Buying a house query on 15:21 - Jul 14 with 2240 viewstoboboly

Buying a house query on 15:20 - Jul 14 by kensalriser

If you're seriously interested in the property, get a proper survey from an independent surveyor, not a lender valuation, which will only be concerned with whether the property satisfies the requirement as collateral against the loan

Full independent building survey booked in for Friday.

Buying a house query on 16:32 - Jul 14 with 2103 viewsLogman

Where in North London ?

I am aware that one Borough in North London (better not say which one) has some basic info on ground stability conditions for all the roads in the Borough as it is a consideration if you put a planning application for a basement in.
Buying a house query on 16:35 - Jul 14 with 2091 viewsdanehoop

Buying a house query on 15:21 - Jul 14 by toboboly

Full independent building survey booked in for Friday.

Strongly agree with Kensal's advice.

Prior to buying our current house we had found a lovely extended 1930's property which have been perfect for us. Homebuyers report came back relatively OK and all seemed good, we made an offer which was accepted. However, we had had some previous issues with subsidence with a previous property so we were being cautious and made clear that offer was subject to clean bill of health from a full survey.

That came back 3 days later with the unexpected news that the extension was pulling away from the side of the house and was likely to require extensive work. It wasn't at all obvious to us or the current owners who were as surprised as we were. Gave the property a major swerve and very pleased that we did when something popped up the next day that was even better and not in risk of major faults.

Never knowingly understood

Buying a house query on 16:39 - Jul 14 with 2080 viewstoboboly

Buying a house query on 16:32 - Jul 14 by Logman

Where in North London ?

I am aware that one Borough in North London (better not say which one) has some basic info on ground stability conditions for all the roads in the Borough as it is a consideration if you put a planning application for a basement in.

Comes under borough of enfield but isn't in enfield

Buying a house query on 16:51 - Jul 14 with 2029 viewsWokingR

Just pm'd you
Login to get fewer ads

Buying a house query on 16:54 - Jul 14 with 2018 viewskensalriser

And just to add on the survey, read it with a critical eye. You don't need to be an expert. When I bought my house (quite a long time ago) I got what I thought was an independent survey but was in fact little more than a box ticking exercise - it included gems such as 'garage inaccessible' (couldn't be arsed to ask the vendor for the key) and 'believed parquet to hall and reception' (couldn't be arsed to look under the carpet). Surveyor failed to spot evidence of previous dry rot, unsurprisingly given the above. You live and learn...

Buying a house query on 17:09 - Jul 14 with 1975 viewseghamranger

Wife is a legal secretary.

She states that your solicitor should do a ground stability search or a ground sure.

Hope this helps.
Buying a house query on 17:11 - Jul 14 with 1970 viewsJuzzie

I've gone through this process twice in the last 6 years and find it amazing how people just don't get an independent survey done.
It's often assumed the person the mortgage lender sends around and effectively "kicks the tyres" is suitable. It's not.
As said above, they just want to make sure they can get their money back should you default on your payments. They don't care if the roof leaks (see below).

It's usually simply a case of having never been through this process so just don't think of it (on top of a myriad of things to consider) but IMO estate agents & mortgage lenders should always insist on this but they don't (well, not in the three properties I've bought overall the last 20+ years).

In fact, it should be mandatory and further still I think the seller should do it.
A house we looked at first down the road apparently ended up needing £8000 worth of roof work done but the buyer didn't do a survey and ended up with that cost. Who knows what else he might come across.

They come in three levels with the best being around £600 (always go for the top one)
and if you are at the point of having had an offer accepted, then get the survey done and tell the seller (well, they need to know anyway for when they turn up!). The seller's reaction will be quite interesting. Our seller on the house we bought was "yeah, no problem". Anyone who might seem hesitant may have something to hide.

if the survey brings up something then that's leverage on the property price.

Even if you pull out, all you've lost is £600, not £8,000 or worse.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 17:22]
Buying a house query on 18:00 - Jul 14 with 1875 viewsgolborne

I'd check with an insurance broker, too, to make sure you won't get clobbered there for the foreseeable
Buying a house query on 18:08 - Jul 14 with 1853 viewsBoston

Bought a twelve man tent once, owner swore it was in great nick. Farking blew away the next windy day. Foundation problem I’ll be bound!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Buying a house query on 18:49 - Jul 14 with 1807 viewskensalriser

Buying a house query on 18:08 - Jul 14 by Boston

Bought a twelve man tent once, owner swore it was in great nick. Farking blew away the next windy day. Foundation problem I’ll be bound!

Was it missing the twelve men whose job it was to hold down the guy ropes?

Buying a house query on 20:24 - Jul 14 with 1667 viewshantssi

When I sold my last house (30 years ago!), a typical 2 bed terrace, the buyers surveyor came up with this gem “the roof is looking a little tired” whatever that means!
They paid for a full structural report and it was given a clean bill of health.
As previously said, the mortgage lenders just employ tick boxing surveyor to ensure they can get their money back if you default.
Buying a house query on 12:04 - Jul 16 with 1246 viewstoboboly

Buying a house query on 17:09 - Jul 14 by eghamranger

Wife is a legal secretary.

She states that your solicitor should do a ground stability search or a ground sure.

Hope this helps.

I think that may be the report I'm referring to? Envirosearch, it has loads of info about how I won't find any radon in the local vicinity?

Buying a house query on 12:38 - Jul 16 with 1228 viewsGloryHunter

I am a Building Surveyor (but I don't do Homebuyer surveys or valuations - can't afford the PI insurance premiums!)

There are different types of "Surveyor", but your very best option would be to engage a qualified Structural Engineer instead. They are usually much more thorough and knowledgeable.

https://www.istructe.org/find-an-engineer/structural-engineers-near-me/
Buying a house query on 12:51 - Jul 16 with 1214 viewsPunteR

Just my pennys worth but having done plenty of refurbs over the last 25 years you never really know the extent of potential problems in an old house until you start work on it. I dont know how surveyors can 100% confirm these things.
I'm not experienced in buying properties at all but the first thing i would do is check out the neighbours house. See if they have extensions , new render , roof tiles etc. as they were probably built at the same time.
Just a general thought and not specific advice.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Buying a house query on 12:53 - Jul 16 with 1213 viewstoboboly

Buying a house query on 12:51 - Jul 16 by PunteR

Just my pennys worth but having done plenty of refurbs over the last 25 years you never really know the extent of potential problems in an old house until you start work on it. I dont know how surveyors can 100% confirm these things.
I'm not experienced in buying properties at all but the first thing i would do is check out the neighbours house. See if they have extensions , new render , roof tiles etc. as they were probably built at the same time.
Just a general thought and not specific advice.

Cheers. I've got a trusted builder who has said he is happy to go round after the surveyor has done his report (ostensibly to look at installing a downstairs toilet) and will try and give everything a once over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024