Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders 07:50 - Aug 2 with 3035 viewsNorthernr

Here we go then...

Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders 2nd Aug 2021 07:47
LFW’s annual semi-serious look ahead to the Championship season in waiting starts, as always, with the eight teams the bookies think stand the best chance of winning the thing. 10

Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 08:08 - Aug 2 with 2952 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm thinking of having a cheeky £5 on West Brom.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 08:13 - Aug 2 with 2938 viewsNorthernr

Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 08:08 - Aug 2 by Metallica_Hoop

I'm thinking of having a cheeky £5 on West Brom.

Absolutely right. Lump on.
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 08:33 - Aug 2 with 2856 viewsstevec

I see 5th place is still up for grabs!

A few days to go, hard still to make a case for anyone.
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 08:33 - Aug 2 with 2854 viewsNorthernr

Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 08:33 - Aug 2 by stevec

I see 5th place is still up for grabs!

A few days to go, hard still to make a case for anyone.

I've got us fifth. There you go, kill the suspense.
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 09:29 - Aug 2 with 2663 viewsdenhamhoop2

Just shows how poor a division it potentially is this season when a team with Ikpeazu up front is picked for the play offs and a team with McBurnie to win the division. If Millwall had a little more creativity and anything up front would expect them to have a tilt at going up that's how weak it really is
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 09:50 - Aug 2 with 2592 viewsPinnerPaul

Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 08:33 - Aug 2 by Northernr

Excuse my poor memory AND laziness to look it up, but do you do one of these for us, or is it just included in the Millwall preview?

5th eh?

I reckon 7th, but as you say, never an easy division to predict.
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 11:21 - Aug 2 with 2369 viewsE1Hoop

Jack wheelchair Le Tabac 😀

I think Forest might do well this year based on Hughton, but as you say it is always their year.
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 11:21 - Aug 2 with 2362 viewsrsonist

Excellent stuff.

Couple things I'd like to pick up on along the analytics theme. There's a bit of misdirection with the wideboy Khan scion in that he actually is very analytics-minded - but in a splashy USA way indulging all sorts of fly-by-night spreadsheet jockey consultants that has been perpetually at odds with the managers it's meant to serve and the competitive situations the club finds itself in. The lack of cohesion and stability has resulted in several potentially canny signings going astray, similar I'd argue to Villa round about the Sherwood era where they had Adama Traore, Gueye (now PSG), Amavi, Veretout (now Roma) Gollini (just signed for Spurs) unsuited and undeveloped, or even Liverpool's early teething troubles with the likes of Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto who went on to have great careers. (Little time capsule here: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-beware-

Now on the other hand, take Cardiff, who I'd disagree have embraced modernity and departed from traditional models in any substantial way - BUT would argue are counter-intuitively "progressive" nevertheless.

Thing about them is: they are the one club who have gone wayyyyy out of their way to maintain continuity and minimise wastage post-Warnock success. The unlovely style of football has disguised the fact they actively and non-obviously lasered in on Harris and Mick (who no one else would have hired, or will hire after) the exact same way Barnsley have scouted Austrian coaches. It's also the case that picking up lower league gems with resale value like Wintle and Ng is something Mick has a great track record with, despite data still only being something he gets the mop & bucket out for. In a funny way it's like they don't need a director of football, precisely because the "traditional model of having an experienced manager and letting him get on with it" has been boiled down to its most narrow, predictable, and crucially, repeatable essence.

So similar to what you're saying about "this idea that there’s one true way to play football", one could argue that the perception of being a forward-thinking modern club in terms of structure and recruitment has become distorted by the currently dominant signifiers of science, pretty football and cosmopolitanism.
Login to get fewer ads

Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 11:30 - Aug 2 with 2340 viewsrsonist

Personally I don't see how this gets WBA 10th:

....................... Button
.............. Ajayi Bartley Clarke
Furlong Mowatt Livermore Townsend/Reach
........... Diangana Grant Robinson

Forest, I still don't see the basis for progress as it stands. Their lad there's "a few smart additions should see us comfortably in mid-table" is doing a fckton of work. Maybe Carvalho and others being de-bombed could be a thing but...
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 12:48 - Aug 2 with 2140 viewsMistication92

Bloody hell, this sht's just got real.
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 14:42 - Aug 2 with 1837 viewsPinnerPaul

Just read it though.

Some good lines in there.

Easy to disagree - everyone COULD be right, no one is wrong, before Aug 7th - but as above very difficult to predict anything in this div.
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 16:55 - Aug 2 with 1646 viewsMyke

Me too - see Clive you are more knowledgeable than you give yourself credit for
Season Preview 21/22 — Contenders on 00:14 - Aug 3 with 1129 viewsCiderwithRsie

Being both ignorant and stupid I rely on this sort of stuff for my expectations.

It's not doing much to rain on my parade of overoptimism really. I see clubs with good managers, good squads (on paper better than ours,) defo more money but they all seem in transition, recovery mode or just disorganised. We look like several years of hard work and planning is coming together and we're ready to go right now.

It'll probably all turn to ratshit in front of our eyes as everyone in the squad gets ACL injuries before October so sod it I'm just going to enjoy the warm glow now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024