Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The referee yesterday 18:08 - Aug 8 with 5305 viewsterryb

Overall, I thought he was quite good, but IMO he made one massive mistake. I expect the refereeing community won't agree & would say that the accessors demoted his mark if he had done as the laws state. Or did do when I twice passed the exam!

After scoring, all of the Millwall team crossed the halfway line to celebrate & the referee then stopped us from kicking off. As there were none of their players in our half of the pitch, we were fully entitled to restart the game. Another pet hate of mine is delaying the game to allow a player to change or put his boot back on! Yes, players have to wear boots, but they can leave the pitch to carry this out.

A comparable poinbt is waiting for a side to get all of their players back on ther pitch for the second half. If they are late returning (this is normally Rangers) he should restart the match & allow the missing players back on when the ball is dead.

On the allowing the kick off when the other team are celebrating, I rememvber that we suffered from this at Ipswich in the Lague Cup in 1983. We equallised with about two minutes left, celebrated in our own half & they correctly kicked off with eleven against four. We lost 2-1!
The referee yesterday on 15:26 - Aug 9 with 944 viewsWatfordR

Felt they got away with far too many snidey tackles from behind. Most given as free kicks, but really ought to be a mandatory yellow every time, and I felt they took advantage of knowing the ref wasn't a serial card waver.
The referee yesterday on 15:48 - Aug 9 with 929 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 14:54 - Aug 9 by HamptonR

I thought the Ellerslie Lino did ok, there were two debatable ball on or over the line shouts but neither were met with great complaint by the players.
I liked the fact that he spoke to the players and to be fair the refs give all of the throw in decisions.

Not quite true on the throw ins.

Depends where the ball leaves play - won't bore everyone with the precise methodology but suffice to say the ARs DO have an input!
The referee yesterday on 19:39 - Aug 9 with 848 viewsHAYESBOY

Just started to watch the 90 mins on the Offy and there are two blatant pull backs on Willock in the first 4 mins. One of them being more or less away on the goalkeeper.

Smells like a trout farm in here

The referee yesterday on 19:51 - Aug 9 with 833 viewslondonscottish

The referee yesterday on 21:36 - Aug 8 by Harbour

Ref was good but Lino ellerslie rd was crap missed at least 2 balls out of play also seemed to be waiting for ref to indicate which way throw in awarded rather than making a decision.

I was looking down the line from the Lower Loft and yes, twice the ball was well out - and right in front of him too.

Pretty poor.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

The referee yesterday on 21:32 - Aug 9 with 804 viewsHamptonR

The referee yesterday on 15:48 - Aug 9 by PinnerPaul

Not quite true on the throw ins.

Depends where the ball leaves play - won't bore everyone with the precise methodology but suffice to say the ARs DO have an input!

I would not argue with you Pinner but on the Ellerslie side of the pitch, the ref appears to give every throw, the Lino waits for the finger to point before the flag goes up.
My take on it was or is, that the ref gives it, unless he hasn't seen it.
The referee yesterday on 10:24 - Aug 10 with 738 viewsfrancisbowles

FWIW, I thought he was far too lenient in the early stages. Whilst I get the 'let the game flow to make it more entertaining' allowing foul play early on doesn't set the right standard for the match. Clamp down and award everything early and the players will realise that where ' the line is'. Then as the game progresses it should flow better with less fouling.

On Terryb's point, I thought the same thing at the time. Nothing in the laws, afaik, that states he has to wait for them to be ready. They were effectively 'delaying the restart' and he should have let us kick off.

After about five minutes, I said, to Mrs FB, he was the wrong ref for us v Millwall, a game that needed a stronger official.
The referee yesterday on 10:37 - Aug 10 with 723 viewsterryb

The referee yesterday on 10:24 - Aug 10 by francisbowles

FWIW, I thought he was far too lenient in the early stages. Whilst I get the 'let the game flow to make it more entertaining' allowing foul play early on doesn't set the right standard for the match. Clamp down and award everything early and the players will realise that where ' the line is'. Then as the game progresses it should flow better with less fouling.

On Terryb's point, I thought the same thing at the time. Nothing in the laws, afaik, that states he has to wait for them to be ready. They were effectively 'delaying the restart' and he should have let us kick off.

After about five minutes, I said, to Mrs FB, he was the wrong ref for us v Millwall, a game that needed a stronger official.

I think that you FB & others may have missed that our Dictator of Refereeing, Mr Michael Riley has come up with a phrase that is not mentioned in the laws of the game.

Meaningful contact. If it is not that, it is not to have a free kick awarded. I was unaware of this until mentioned by the co commentator on the Bournemouth West Brom match. This is an attempt to fall in line with the officiating in the Euro's. It will also require the definition of meaningful to be determined by the ref.

He is also meant to have informed his employees that they can now give free kicks if the contact is meaningful but the player has stayed on his feet! By stating this, I have to ask if this means that he had instructed them not to previiously?

As you might have gathered, my opinion of our leader of referees is very low!
The referee yesterday on 14:23 - Aug 10 with 667 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 21:02 - Aug 8 by Northernr

Yes one of them in the second half under us in F Block was a proper piss take, went out near the penalty box and ended up being thrown near the dug out. But if you went to a game where the referee was Tony Harrington, getting big, crucial decisions wrong, while very steadfastly and meticulously ensuring each throw in was taken from the right place (which he fcking loves) it would quickly do you head in.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

You mean, Tony Harrington, the premier league referee? Yeah, he must be terrible.
Login to get fewer ads

The referee yesterday on 14:25 - Aug 10 with 667 viewsBexley

Thought the ref was terrible, Millwall played against 13 if you include the lineo over the bench side.
The referee yesterday on 14:43 - Aug 10 with 671 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 21:32 - Aug 9 by HamptonR

I would not argue with you Pinner but on the Ellerslie side of the pitch, the ref appears to give every throw, the Lino waits for the finger to point before the flag goes up.
My take on it was or is, that the ref gives it, unless he hasn't seen it.

The other thing to remember is that they are miked up. So in reality, its impossible for us to know for certain who calls which throw ins.

On ball in/out of play - AR priority at all times is the offside line (no one else can give those), so he has to keep looking along the line, obviously if play is to his left, he has to try and keep an eye on ball in/out of play, which way any throw might be, plus any fouls!

No one can look at 4 things at once, hence why some ball in/outs are missed and why refs sometimes appear to give things you would expect AR to.

Watched the 90' again yesterday and to say he was Millwalll's 12th man is laughable - sorry it just is. Even our comms thought we could have had 1 or 2 yellows (we got none)
The referee yesterday on 14:46 - Aug 10 with 668 viewsNorthernr

The referee yesterday on 14:23 - Aug 10 by Bexley

You mean, Tony Harrington, the premier league referee? Yeah, he must be terrible.

He is. Much like Rob Styles, Lee Mason, Mike Riley and others have all been terrible while also refereeing in the Premier League.
The referee yesterday on 14:48 - Aug 10 with 657 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 14:46 - Aug 10 by Northernr

He is. Much like Rob Styles, Lee Mason, Mike Riley and others have all been terrible while also refereeing in the Premier League.

And how many games have you ever officiated?
The referee yesterday on 14:51 - Aug 10 with 661 viewsNorthernr

The referee yesterday on 14:48 - Aug 10 by Bexley

And how many games have you ever officiated?

Couple of hundred maybe, few regional cup finals at different age groups, bit of extra cash when I was younger.
The referee yesterday on 14:53 - Aug 10 with 649 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 14:51 - Aug 10 by Northernr

Couple of hundred maybe, few regional cup finals at different age groups, bit of extra cash when I was younger.

Fair play - so did you ever get promoted? I mean in the modern era too as I know plenty that went 3-2-1 - but to got 7 to select group, you cant be that bad a ref
The referee yesterday on 14:56 - Aug 10 with 653 viewsNorthernr

The referee yesterday on 14:53 - Aug 10 by Bexley

Fair play - so did you ever get promoted? I mean in the modern era too as I know plenty that went 3-2-1 - but to got 7 to select group, you cant be that bad a ref

Sadly, and rather stupidly really, gave it up after I left uni. Wish I'd kept it up because I quite enjoyed it.

I note from your comment not five posts ago you thought Oliver Langford was "terrible". Surely by your logic you also can't be that bad a referee if you've ascended to Championship level and remained there for a decade?
The referee yesterday on 15:00 - Aug 10 with 629 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 14:56 - Aug 10 by Northernr

Sadly, and rather stupidly really, gave it up after I left uni. Wish I'd kept it up because I quite enjoyed it.

I note from your comment not five posts ago you thought Oliver Langford was "terrible". Surely by your logic you also can't be that bad a referee if you've ascended to Championship level and remained there for a decade?

I went semi pro, it's tough.

I didn't say Langford was a bad referee though, I said I thought he was terrible on the day. I have appraised that with real time viewing, if I went and re-watched it, he may have been spot on with every decision. The fact other posters have indicated he was very lenient towards QPR may give my comment some credence
The referee yesterday on 15:41 - Aug 10 with 603 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 15:00 - Aug 10 by Bexley

I went semi pro, it's tough.

I didn't say Langford was a bad referee though, I said I thought he was terrible on the day. I have appraised that with real time viewing, if I went and re-watched it, he may have been spot on with every decision. The fact other posters have indicated he was very lenient towards QPR may give my comment some credence

Don't understand your last line - you say he was Millwall's 12th man, but that those saying he was lenient to QPR gives your comments some credence?

That doesn't add up.
The referee yesterday on 15:42 - Aug 10 with 597 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 15:41 - Aug 10 by PinnerPaul

Don't understand your last line - you say he was Millwall's 12th man, but that those saying he was lenient to QPR gives your comments some credence?

That doesn't add up.

I didn't say he was our 12th man, I think him and Adrian Waters were your 12th & 13th men
The referee yesterday on 15:45 - Aug 10 with 599 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 15:42 - Aug 10 by Bexley

I didn't say he was our 12th man, I think him and Adrian Waters were your 12th & 13th men

Sorry, but even so, a couple of missed yellows and throws, a terrible/biased official doth not make!

If you REALLY think that was a poor performance, you're in for a long season!
The referee yesterday on 15:46 - Aug 10 with 591 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 15:45 - Aug 10 by PinnerPaul

Sorry, but even so, a couple of missed yellows and throws, a terrible/biased official doth not make!

If you REALLY think that was a poor performance, you're in for a long season!

There were a few soft yellow cards for us too.

As for Waters, he was inept on the line on Saturday and he is capable of much better
The referee yesterday on 15:50 - Aug 10 with 589 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 15:46 - Aug 10 by Bexley

There were a few soft yellow cards for us too.

As for Waters, he was inept on the line on Saturday and he is capable of much better

As I say your bar is set unrealistically high.

TWO balls that may/may not have been in/out of play, he gave one offside (correctly) and one foul (correctly) and erm...... that was it.

We're have to agree to disagree, but to call such a quiet game for him with no KMI's for him to judge 'inept' is just insane.
The referee yesterday on 15:55 - Aug 10 with 582 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 15:50 - Aug 10 by PinnerPaul

As I say your bar is set unrealistically high.

TWO balls that may/may not have been in/out of play, he gave one offside (correctly) and one foul (correctly) and erm...... that was it.

We're have to agree to disagree, but to call such a quiet game for him with no KMI's for him to judge 'inept' is just insane.

As you say, agree to disagree.

He had no KMIs, but he didn't do the basics well enough. He frustrated the players too, hence Kieftenbeld's reaction to him, when he visibly shat himself
The referee yesterday on 15:58 - Aug 10 with 581 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 15:55 - Aug 10 by Bexley

As you say, agree to disagree.

He had no KMIs, but he didn't do the basics well enough. He frustrated the players too, hence Kieftenbeld's reaction to him, when he visibly shat himself

That would be the player's reaction to being given a foul against him after he kicked Willock up in the air in retaliation for being made to look a fool by the same player 5 minutes previous.

Never mind a foul he was lucky to get away without a yellow for that one!

You can't be seriously saying he got THAT one wrong?
The referee yesterday on 16:05 - Aug 10 with 571 viewsBexley

The referee yesterday on 15:58 - Aug 10 by PinnerPaul

That would be the player's reaction to being given a foul against him after he kicked Willock up in the air in retaliation for being made to look a fool by the same player 5 minutes previous.

Never mind a foul he was lucky to get away without a yellow for that one!

You can't be seriously saying he got THAT one wrong?

Ha, I am more concerned about the double foul on Wallace when he then gave handball against Wallace. In fairness, I was in the lower tier and my view obscured so I'll concede I didn't have the best view.
The referee yesterday on 16:47 - Aug 10 with 537 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 16:05 - Aug 10 by Bexley

Ha, I am more concerned about the double foul on Wallace when he then gave handball against Wallace. In fairness, I was in the lower tier and my view obscured so I'll concede I didn't have the best view.

No worries mate, I always like a good referee discussion, even when most don't agree with me!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024