Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The referee yesterday 18:08 - Aug 8 with 5151 viewsterryb

Overall, I thought he was quite good, but IMO he made one massive mistake. I expect the refereeing community won't agree & would say that the accessors demoted his mark if he had done as the laws state. Or did do when I twice passed the exam!

After scoring, all of the Millwall team crossed the halfway line to celebrate & the referee then stopped us from kicking off. As there were none of their players in our half of the pitch, we were fully entitled to restart the game. Another pet hate of mine is delaying the game to allow a player to change or put his boot back on! Yes, players have to wear boots, but they can leave the pitch to carry this out.

A comparable poinbt is waiting for a side to get all of their players back on ther pitch for the second half. If they are late returning (this is normally Rangers) he should restart the match & allow the missing players back on when the ball is dead.

On the allowing the kick off when the other team are celebrating, I rememvber that we suffered from this at Ipswich in the Lague Cup in 1983. We equallised with about two minutes left, celebrated in our own half & they correctly kicked off with eleven against four. We lost 2-1!
The referee yesterday on 18:11 - Aug 8 with 3755 viewsNorthernr

I did spot that with their celebration as well. A few years ago when Luke Freeman scored from long range at Villa all the QPR players ran to the away end at the other end of the field and Villa tried to kick off but Wszolek spotted what they were doing and deliberately went and stood in their half right in front of the lino so they couldn't.

Referee very good for me yesterday.
The referee yesterday on 18:12 - Aug 8 with 3749 viewsPinnerPaul

Don't often disagree Terry, but don't think you'll find anything in the laws that state the referee MUST restart the match after a goal once players are in their own half.

Yes, players DO have to be in own half when the match is restarted, but that's not the same as you state.
The referee yesterday on 18:42 - Aug 8 with 3674 viewsterryb

The referee yesterday on 18:12 - Aug 8 by PinnerPaul

Don't often disagree Terry, but don't think you'll find anything in the laws that state the referee MUST restart the match after a goal once players are in their own half.

Yes, players DO have to be in own half when the match is restarted, but that's not the same as you state.

I won't dispute that Pinner, but you were certainly encouraged to restart the game as soon as possible.

And, there was nothing in the laws to stopping him allowing the restart. It is not the responsibility of the referee to protect a side from their ignorance!

As I say, I thought he was good & I'm sure he would have been marked down if we had kicked off, but he had no reason to stop us from doing so.
The referee yesterday on 18:51 - Aug 8 with 3635 viewsgazza1

I thought he let a lot 'go' but it was pointed out to me that we will see much more of that which is in line with what happened in the Euro's.....right or wrong, i do not know but i do like the game to flow better without giving free kicks when players are 'acting'.
The referee yesterday on 19:03 - Aug 8 with 3580 viewsozranger

The referee yesterday on 18:51 - Aug 8 by gazza1

I thought he let a lot 'go' but it was pointed out to me that we will see much more of that which is in line with what happened in the Euro's.....right or wrong, i do not know but i do like the game to flow better without giving free kicks when players are 'acting'.

I'd agree with you gazza. He definitely did let a number of things go and then picked up on others that could have been let go. Some of it was game handling and the other some guess work. I am unsure of the foul on Johansen near the box (I was directly behind it) after which we had the goalmouth scramble from Johansen's fk. There were some incorrect decisions on throws, etc, but we can't always get things right. Overall, not too bad but probably suited Millwall more than us.

The incidents that I felt were of interest was the extremely early tackle by Ball that probably would have been cautioned later in the game. I do remember saying "got him" which was exactly what he did. I didn't see the Johansen incident in back play and obviously no one on the officiating side did and I am sure they talked about it during play to check. As to the celebration in their half, I have seen this where a referee has also chosen to allow the other team to kickoff. Again, a bit of game handling here. Yes, he could have allowed us to kickoff, but ..
The referee yesterday on 19:08 - Aug 8 with 3563 viewsthehat

Yeah also thought the refferee did well - Tried to let the game flow which I like.
The referee yesterday on 19:10 - Aug 8 with 3560 viewsbosh67

I thought the only mistake the ref made was not saying that the Dickie goal counted as two.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The referee yesterday on 19:22 - Aug 8 with 3520 viewsdaveB

Login to get fewer ads

The referee yesterday on 19:27 - Aug 8 with 3500 viewsbosh67

The referee yesterday on 19:22 - Aug 8 by daveB

I quite liked that but thought the ball should have taken a lateral flow test at half time.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The referee yesterday on 19:35 - Aug 8 with 3473 viewsdavman

The referee yesterday on 18:11 - Aug 8 by Northernr

I did spot that with their celebration as well. A few years ago when Luke Freeman scored from long range at Villa all the QPR players ran to the away end at the other end of the field and Villa tried to kick off but Wszolek spotted what they were doing and deliberately went and stood in their half right in front of the lino so they couldn't.

Referee very good for me yesterday.

All for letting the game flow, but he did not call any of the four clear pull backs from Chris Willock's first four touches.

Inconsistent for both sides all the way through, but I suppose that, on a bar where 90% of refs are utterly shocking, he was passable yesterday. Should have booked Jed Wallace at least three times for the constant fouling, whinging and abuse aimed at the ref, but laws are there to be broken, oops, sorry, "interpreted" as the ref sees "fit".

I am sorry, but these are meant to be the best at this job; they rarely go anywhere near the base level of consistent game to game.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The referee yesterday on 19:53 - Aug 8 with 3425 viewsHAYESBOY

Agree, missed at least 3x shirt pulls on Willock, and one where he is was in behind their defence albeit just in their half.

Smells like a trout farm in here

The referee yesterday on 20:58 - Aug 8 with 3275 viewsM40R

A trivial addition but he regularly let Millwall move throw-ons 10 -12 feet up the touchline. One of my pet hates particularly as we did not try the same.
The referee yesterday on 21:02 - Aug 8 with 3265 viewsNorthernr

The referee yesterday on 20:58 - Aug 8 by M40R

A trivial addition but he regularly let Millwall move throw-ons 10 -12 feet up the touchline. One of my pet hates particularly as we did not try the same.

Yes one of them in the second half under us in F Block was a proper piss take, went out near the penalty box and ended up being thrown near the dug out. But if you went to a game where the referee was Tony Harrington, getting big, crucial decisions wrong, while very steadfastly and meticulously ensuring each throw in was taken from the right place (which he fcking loves) it would quickly do you head in.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
The referee yesterday on 21:17 - Aug 8 with 3229 viewsLogman

Didn't think he was particularly good. Took far too long talking to players after making his decisions meaning we lost all rhythm and momentum from about minute 60 when Millwall started to 'stop' us from playing. e.g. took about two minutes talking to de Wjis and Wallace about next to nothing and two minutes later over a dropped ball which killed all our impetus. Clattenburg would have got the game re-started much quicker.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 21:19]
The referee yesterday on 21:36 - Aug 8 with 3174 viewsHarbour

Ref was good but Lino ellerslie rd was crap missed at least 2 balls out of play also seemed to be waiting for ref to indicate which way throw in awarded rather than making a decision.
The referee yesterday on 12:46 - Aug 9 with 2935 viewswombat

The referee yesterday on 21:36 - Aug 8 by Harbour

Ref was good but Lino ellerslie rd was crap missed at least 2 balls out of play also seemed to be waiting for ref to indicate which way throw in awarded rather than making a decision.

missed a blatant shirt pull on dickie second half as well

Poll: which is your favouite foot

The referee yesterday on 13:42 - Aug 9 with 2862 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 18:42 - Aug 8 by terryb

I won't dispute that Pinner, but you were certainly encouraged to restart the game as soon as possible.

And, there was nothing in the laws to stopping him allowing the restart. It is not the responsibility of the referee to protect a side from their ignorance!

As I say, I thought he was good & I'm sure he would have been marked down if we had kicked off, but he had no reason to stop us from doing so.

See your point but the new buzzwords in the laws are "fairness and integrity"

Both blown out of the water if he let us kick off and as you rightly say, absolutely crucified by the observer (& Millwall!)
The referee yesterday on 13:49 - Aug 9 with 2831 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 21:02 - Aug 8 by Northernr

Yes one of them in the second half under us in F Block was a proper piss take, went out near the penalty box and ended up being thrown near the dug out. But if you went to a game where the referee was Tony Harrington, getting big, crucial decisions wrong, while very steadfastly and meticulously ensuring each throw in was taken from the right place (which he fcking loves) it would quickly do you head in.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

I think my training is paying off!

It a THROW IN people!

My only surprise really was the one where Dykes 'made a back' and the Millwall player went flying over him. How we got a free kick for that I don't know!

However, that's not really the point, never going to get 16,000+ agree with every decision.

However, no biggies wrong, game flowed, under control and no silly bookings. Guarantee there would have been at least half a dozen if the other ref mentioned above had been in charge!
The referee yesterday on 13:52 - Aug 9 with 2827 viewsBazzeR

I won’t complain about the Ref,he could have sent Dom Ball off for his foul in the first 2mins.
The referee yesterday on 13:52 - Aug 9 with 2824 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 21:17 - Aug 8 by Logman

Didn't think he was particularly good. Took far too long talking to players after making his decisions meaning we lost all rhythm and momentum from about minute 60 when Millwall started to 'stop' us from playing. e.g. took about two minutes talking to de Wjis and Wallace about next to nothing and two minutes later over a dropped ball which killed all our impetus. Clattenburg would have got the game re-started much quicker.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 21:19]

Well the talking to is preferable to 2 cautions that many refs would have given.

Drop balls - Its down to the players who clearly STILL do not know that this law has changed.

No kicking it back, its just an uncontested drop ball to whoever had it when play was stopped - its not difficult - unless you're a footballer!
The referee yesterday on 13:57 - Aug 9 with 2811 viewsAntti_Heinola

The referee yesterday on 13:49 - Aug 9 by PinnerPaul

I think my training is paying off!

It a THROW IN people!

My only surprise really was the one where Dykes 'made a back' and the Millwall player went flying over him. How we got a free kick for that I don't know!

However, that's not really the point, never going to get 16,000+ agree with every decision.

However, no biggies wrong, game flowed, under control and no silly bookings. Guarantee there would have been at least half a dozen if the other ref mentioned above had been in charge!

Usually that's a foul the other way, but I was watching that early, and Dykes did nothing wrong on that occasion - he came flying over him, and Dykes couldn't do anything else.

As others have said, some pulls on Willock went unpunished, which was odd, at least two of them he was being grabbed round his whole body. But pretty minor stuff. The things being complained about here are pretty minor. Was a fairly easy game to ref and he did well.

Bare bones.

The referee yesterday on 14:35 - Aug 9 with 2747 viewsPinnerPaul

The referee yesterday on 13:57 - Aug 9 by Antti_Heinola

Usually that's a foul the other way, but I was watching that early, and Dykes did nothing wrong on that occasion - he came flying over him, and Dykes couldn't do anything else.

As others have said, some pulls on Willock went unpunished, which was odd, at least two of them he was being grabbed round his whole body. But pretty minor stuff. The things being complained about here are pretty minor. Was a fairly easy game to ref and he did well.

Fair enough AH, the Dykes one was on the far side of the pitch to me, not ideal 'refereeing' from 50 yards away!
The referee yesterday on 14:54 - Aug 9 with 2725 viewsHamptonR

The referee yesterday on 21:36 - Aug 8 by Harbour

I thought the Ellerslie Lino did ok, there were two debatable ball on or over the line shouts but neither were met with great complaint by the players.
I liked the fact that he spoke to the players and to be fair the refs give all of the throw in decisions.
The referee yesterday on 15:18 - Aug 9 with 2667 viewssaxbend

I thought his performance was not too unlike ours. For much of the first half he was letting everything go, and Millwall were getting away with murder. Then for most of the rest of the game he managed to take charge and have things running pretty smoothly, remembering that he had a yellow card and was allowed to show it. Trailed off a bit towards the end, like us, but also like us, the mistakes he made didn't affect the outcome of the game.
The referee yesterday on 15:21 - Aug 9 with 2660 viewssaxbend

That lino did one good thing which was tell the ref to give us a free kick for a foul on Johansen which the ref was too poorly positioned to see. However he clearly didn't like the offside rule and I don't think he gave a single offside all game. I wish we'd taken advantage of that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024