Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report 20:49 - Aug 8 with 3998 viewsNorthernr

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report 8th Aug 2021 20:36
QPR, caught cold by a big early opening from awkward opponent Millwall, secured a draw on the opening day of the 2021/22 season thanks to a moment of brilliance from the game's star man Rob Dickie. 11

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 22:12 - Aug 8 with 3662 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Thanks Clive. That's the first time I've seen the video of the people we've lost during the pandemic, due to the entry problems in Ellerslie Road.

Also the first time i've seen that version of Rob Dickie's goal. Much like the view I had of it. What a goal. WHAT - A - GOAL. I can't remember seeing many better than that.

I'm not sure how Dozzell got a 6 for 25 mins of nice and tidy distribution and Ball got a 5 for 95 mins proper hard graft but if we finish this season with Ball first choice then we'll not be threatening the playoffs. Probably.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 22:53 - Aug 8 with 3491 viewsgigiisourgod

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 22:12 - Aug 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

Thanks Clive. That's the first time I've seen the video of the people we've lost during the pandemic, due to the entry problems in Ellerslie Road.

Also the first time i've seen that version of Rob Dickie's goal. Much like the view I had of it. What a goal. WHAT - A - GOAL. I can't remember seeing many better than that.

I'm not sure how Dozzell got a 6 for 25 mins of nice and tidy distribution and Ball got a 5 for 95 mins proper hard graft but if we finish this season with Ball first choice then we'll not be threatening the playoffs. Probably.

Brilliant thanks Clive. Do agree with CW on paper that team would look very different/much more dynamic with Field in there instead of Ball, who’s industry I do really like and appreciate but don’t think he is the same calibrate/talent as Field. Hopefully all goes well with Sam’s recovery and Dozzell manages to make the step up and Amos recovery continues to go well to enable us to have a few more options in there.
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 22:56 - Aug 8 with 3491 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks Clive. Didn't get to see yesterday's game yet so the report is invaluable.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 23:37 - Aug 8 with 3374 viewsdaveB

It's a minor gripe really but the stadium clearly not being cleaned in the last year and the lack of any hand gel or soap in the toilets was piss poor give the circumstances.

On the game I thought we really lacked width at times and bringing on Adomah and playing him and wilock wide behind Dykes might have been worth trying.
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 05:49 - Aug 9 with 3165 viewsalexferguson60

Great piece as usual, Clive.

Of course, the story of the game will be slightly overshadowed by the stories of what happened outside it afterwards, when coked-up fans from both sides took it on themselves to frighten families with their combative actions.
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 06:15 - Aug 9 with 3142 viewsBazzeR

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 22:12 - Aug 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

Only getting one point deducted is generous considering he fell asleep at the throw in which led to their goal.
Harsh but true.
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 09:46 - Aug 9 with 2747 viewsterryb

Thanks Clive, especially for the "Will Always Be With Us" clip.

I didn't know any of those people but I certainly recognised a few of the faces.
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:38 - Aug 9 with 2596 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great report thanks Clive, and while things are looking better on the pitch, off it there is clearly tons of work to be done. I'm not against the digital ticketing - I've been using my phone for trains, gigs, cinema and at some other football grounds etc for years and can't recall a single issue. BUT those are all (apart from the football grounds) low-level things, where 15,000+ people are not turning up within 20 minutes of each other. So it needs to be watertight, or as watertight as it can be.

I used to go to the B&W years ago when I sat behind the goal, but soon gave up. And in SA Road, I don't particularly want to stand in a packed corridor with a beer, even if it was a delicious locally brewed craft ale with proceeds going to QPR in the Community. BUT there must surely be so many easy things the club can do better to, as you say, take the money we want to give them.

Anyway, agree with the report. Giving my marks on my way home, I was tempted to give Dickie a 9 and wondered if you would give him one, as those are dished out very, very rarely. Taarabt, Freeman, maybe Nelsen? Perhaps Eze? We should keep a proper tally. But with his defending so good (and so clean), his confidence on the ball, and a worldie goal, a 9 more than justified I think.

I thought we were at our best in that middle period when Stef got on the ball, but before that and after he went off we struggled a bit. Shows how important he is, and a lot is going to rest on Dozzell getting up to speed with no Field to do the job he did so effectively last season.

Overall, I'm either realistic or pessimistic. I look back to this year's great run and think we were fortunate in some ways, wins v Watford and Brentford could easiy have gone the other way, the Millwall comeback while deserved came after a truly dire first half. On Sat once Jojo went off, and we were without him, Chair, Field and Austin, we never really looked like scoring. I think we'll do well to better last season's 9th. But it's very early days.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:42 - Aug 9 with 2579 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:38 - Aug 9 by Antti_Heinola

Great report thanks Clive, and while things are looking better on the pitch, off it there is clearly tons of work to be done. I'm not against the digital ticketing - I've been using my phone for trains, gigs, cinema and at some other football grounds etc for years and can't recall a single issue. BUT those are all (apart from the football grounds) low-level things, where 15,000+ people are not turning up within 20 minutes of each other. So it needs to be watertight, or as watertight as it can be.

I used to go to the B&W years ago when I sat behind the goal, but soon gave up. And in SA Road, I don't particularly want to stand in a packed corridor with a beer, even if it was a delicious locally brewed craft ale with proceeds going to QPR in the Community. BUT there must surely be so many easy things the club can do better to, as you say, take the money we want to give them.

Anyway, agree with the report. Giving my marks on my way home, I was tempted to give Dickie a 9 and wondered if you would give him one, as those are dished out very, very rarely. Taarabt, Freeman, maybe Nelsen? Perhaps Eze? We should keep a proper tally. But with his defending so good (and so clean), his confidence on the ball, and a worldie goal, a 9 more than justified I think.

I thought we were at our best in that middle period when Stef got on the ball, but before that and after he went off we struggled a bit. Shows how important he is, and a lot is going to rest on Dozzell getting up to speed with no Field to do the job he did so effectively last season.

Overall, I'm either realistic or pessimistic. I look back to this year's great run and think we were fortunate in some ways, wins v Watford and Brentford could easiy have gone the other way, the Millwall comeback while deserved came after a truly dire first half. On Sat once Jojo went off, and we were without him, Chair, Field and Austin, we never really looked like scoring. I think we'll do well to better last season's 9th. But it's very early days.

"I was tempted to give Dickie a 9 and wondered if you would give him one,"

I think many of us would.

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:46 - Aug 9 with 2563 viewsAntti_Heinola

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:42 - Aug 9 by BrianMcCarthy

"I was tempted to give Dickie a 9 and wondered if you would give him one,"

I think many of us would.

Oh Brian, I never thought you'd stoop so low ;)

Bare bones.

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:47 - Aug 9 with 2559 viewsdaveB

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 09:46 - Aug 9 by terryb

Thanks Clive, especially for the "Will Always Be With Us" clip.

I didn't know any of those people but I certainly recognised a few of the faces.

I didn't notice at the game but when watching back I spotted a fella who sits in front of us, his kids and grandkids were at the game as usual but didn't put 2+2 together until I got home and watched the video.
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:48 - Aug 9 with 2556 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:46 - Aug 9 by Antti_Heinola

Oh Brian, I never thought you'd stoop so low ;)

Ha ha!

Well, I'd have to have a few drinks first.

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 10:52 - Aug 9 with 2528 viewsPaddyhoops

A joy to be back at HQ. Wonderful atmosphere and even the Millwall fans , at least in the ground behaved themselves.
Have to say after an hour, I found myself thinking " I'd take a point here". Millwall were more than decent and the final table will prove that.
We'll get a lot better. Stef will be a huge player for us.
Enjoy Dickie this season. The only way we'll see him in a hoops top next season will be if we get promoted.
Moses stood out for me as well . Classy player.
All round , a grand day out!
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 11:59 - Aug 9 with 2375 viewsNoelmc

Thanks Clive. Fantastic report as usual, to follow up the entertaining and moving Preview of the match, which encapsulated why the QPR match day experience is so important to you. Hope you enjoyed being back.

One down, 45 to go in the League!
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 12:18 - Aug 9 with 2323 viewsLazyFan

Some websites say De Wijs passed to Dickie for an assist.

Seeing as De Wijs was at fault for a poor clearance for the Millwall goal, being his only mistake in the game, surely it's only fair he gets the retributional assist for the Dickie goal, even though Dickie did all the work?

I agree with others that Ball should have got a 6. In my view, our Wallace should have got the 5. As without Chair he was not the same on the left.

I noticed in the first 30 mins we tried to go down our left, but without Chair it was not working. Then in the next 30 mins we went through the middle with JoJo. And that's when it started to work. Tap it about, then a few passes in the middle before it would go out to the wing. This seemed to open them up a bit. When JoJo came off it fizzled out.

Thomas is not good enough, I don't think he will make it.

zzzzzzzzzz

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 12:43 - Aug 9 with 2247 viewsrobith

So as I've mentioned on here before, back in August my dad got a terminal diagnosis of the Big C. He did chemo with a low chance of success that has bought him some more time and ever since we have just had this date laser etched in our minds as all we were aiming at.

Being there with him, being right in front of Dickie's blooter, ah gawd what a day I'll treasure it always.

And then what's that? We're in the crowd shot of the official footage celebrating the goal. A permanent digital record of one of the best days of my life
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 13:34 - Aug 9 with 2114 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks Clive.

Ref -fair enough. Agree it will be interesting to see if the style of refereeing IS adopted across the board.

Can't agree about fans staying away.

With the Sky studio thought out max wasn't much over 17K now?

With the away end corners not sold, not sure that crowd figure equates to that many empty seats in the home areas.

Agree about ticketing, and to address AH (and others) point about QR codes working elsewhere - well so do bar codes and they are still used much more extensively and successfully.

Favourite line "Adobe Acrobat has more chance of scoring a goal" Superb
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 14:27 - Aug 9 with 1987 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 12:43 - Aug 9 by robith

So as I've mentioned on here before, back in August my dad got a terminal diagnosis of the Big C. He did chemo with a low chance of success that has bought him some more time and ever since we have just had this date laser etched in our minds as all we were aiming at.

Being there with him, being right in front of Dickie's blooter, ah gawd what a day I'll treasure it always.

And then what's that? We're in the crowd shot of the official footage celebrating the goal. A permanent digital record of one of the best days of my life

That's lovely. Love to you both.

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 21:02 - Aug 9 with 1734 viewsCiderwithRsie

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 12:18 - Aug 9 by LazyFan

Some websites say De Wijs passed to Dickie for an assist.

Seeing as De Wijs was at fault for a poor clearance for the Millwall goal, being his only mistake in the game, surely it's only fair he gets the retributional assist for the Dickie goal, even though Dickie did all the work?

I agree with others that Ball should have got a 6. In my view, our Wallace should have got the 5. As without Chair he was not the same on the left.

I noticed in the first 30 mins we tried to go down our left, but without Chair it was not working. Then in the next 30 mins we went through the middle with JoJo. And that's when it started to work. Tap it about, then a few passes in the middle before it would go out to the wing. This seemed to open them up a bit. When JoJo came off it fizzled out.

Thomas is not good enough, I don't think he will make it.

I'm certainly not writing off Thomas yet, I liked what I saw when he first played and I trust the judgement of Warburton and the coaching staff, which has usually been sound (Lee Wallace anyone?)

But I have to say I've been more impressed by Dozzell and Bettache so far, admittedly on little evidence.

EDIT: also agree with those on the Adomah thread who say he is usually an excellent impact sub on the wing and a better option than Thomas at the moment..
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 21:12]
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 23:41 - Aug 9 with 1584 viewsLazyFan

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 21:02 - Aug 9 by CiderwithRsie

I'm certainly not writing off Thomas yet, I liked what I saw when he first played and I trust the judgement of Warburton and the coaching staff, which has usually been sound (Lee Wallace anyone?)

But I have to say I've been more impressed by Dozzell and Bettache so far, admittedly on little evidence.

EDIT: also agree with those on the Adomah thread who say he is usually an excellent impact sub on the wing and a better option than Thomas at the moment..
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 21:12]

I agree with the players you have mentioned who have impressed more and also Uncle.

Thomas failed to control the ball when it was played into him many times and we lost possession. Uncle would have controlled it even if he had played up the middle.

Bettache is no fool, he told Les to put him in the first-team squad or I am off. And they did os, it means they know he's good enough as well. If we don't start giving him mins and proper chances to show us what he can do, he will be off.

Also with Amos coming back, I don't see the need for Thomas, but Warbs loves him.

I would actually sell Thomas for a small amount and go out and get us a Ryan Woods type player. As that would improve upon Ball, with Ball as the backup.

zzzzzzzzzz

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 00:22 - Aug 10 with 1563 viewssilverbirch

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 12:43 - Aug 9 by robith

Nice to read that. Thanks for sharing it
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 01:43 - Aug 10 with 1537 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Powwerful video of the people gone from Covid complications and each of them had their own stories ,families but united in their love for QPR .
I was feeling sad until I read the gloves bit and literally laughed out loud.Then I quickly realized what a fcuk up the place was not cleaned from top to bottom multiple times over like we all thought ..Add in the toilets,delay at the gates and the voilence afterwards its very upsetting but hopefully its a one and done .
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 07:32 - Aug 10 with 1435 viewsdmm

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 23:41 - Aug 9 by LazyFan

I agree with the players you have mentioned who have impressed more and also Uncle.

Thomas failed to control the ball when it was played into him many times and we lost possession. Uncle would have controlled it even if he had played up the middle.

Bettache is no fool, he told Les to put him in the first-team squad or I am off. And they did os, it means they know he's good enough as well. If we don't start giving him mins and proper chances to show us what he can do, he will be off.

Also with Amos coming back, I don't see the need for Thomas, but Warbs loves him.

I would actually sell Thomas for a small amount and go out and get us a Ryan Woods type player. As that would improve upon Ball, with Ball as the backup.

Where did the info about Bettache come from, Lazyfan?
Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 16:12 - Aug 10 with 1184 viewsLazyFan

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 07:32 - Aug 10 by dmm

Where did the info about Bettache come from, Lazyfan?

It was on some internet post about a year ago.
Post said something like Les telling Bettache he should stay as he will get his chance soon. And soon after Bettache starts being named in the 1st team Squad (only the squad mind).

I conjecture (so that's a guess), that why would Les say that unless Bettache has said play me or sell me. I am not sure its a big guess really. Bettache is quality, play him.

zzzzzzzzzz

Dickie's brilliance soothes QPR's opening night nerves - Report on 16:49 - Aug 10 with 1150 viewsPinnerPaul

I like Dickie, a lot, but without being rude, playing well against Afobe and the awkward, but limited Matt Smith, won't convince many PL clubs that he is worth a punt.......yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024