Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moan,moan,moan 09:30 - Aug 29 with 2721 viewsstowmarketrange

A couple of observations from yesterday about our ticket policies.I was speaking with Julie outside the lower loft entrance and she said that there were 2 boys standing by the turnstiles because they had to wait for an adult to go in with them.Apparently U14’s are not allowed in without an adult now.How are we supposed to encourage the next generation of fans if they’re not allowed in without an adult with them?
How many of us used to be given a £1 and went to football on your own as a kid?There were no rules then,and are kids not safer in a football ground than walking around outside now?

Also I have to question the purchasing policies of the box office regarding the lower loft yesterday.
We have 3 out of the 4 seats in our row as season tickets,which means that there is a spare on the end of the row.But yesterday it was sold to a adult on their own,but the rules say that you have to have a child with you to sit in the family stand.I tried to buy a ticket for a cup game a couple of years ago for a season ticket holder who has been coming for 50+ years,but I was told that he needed to buy a child’s ticket too or they couldn’t let him buy his own seat for a cup game.He must’ve bought yesterday’s ticket through the box office as it’s normally empty for games.

A lot of fans were forced out of the lower loft when it changed to a family stand a few years ago,and some even stopped going to games,so how can the club get it so wrong now?There were loads of adult groups in there yesterday,so when is a family stand not a family stand?

Moan,moan,moan on 09:45 - Aug 29 with 2626 viewsdavman

Agree on that point around discouraging 14 year olds, but I wonder whether that is for some legislative reason if an U14 gets into difficulty at a ground, which the club may not (legally) be able to deal with. It doesn't seem right, but how young would you apply this to? 14 seems OK, possibly 13, but I am not sure I'd like any 12 yo of mine going to the football by him / herself. I think it is a sign of the changing times unfortunately...

On the other aspect, yes, I get that stopping an single adult sitting where they want is probably not a great idea, but there are plenty of other stands where they could sit.

The one I fully agree with is when you tried to buy a ticket for a mate to join you; it's barking that the rules get in the way of that.

My bug bear with football in general is the lack of a "neutral" area. I have relatives and mates who support other teams and should be able to sit together at a game with them, but that can't work with football as no-one is allowed to celebrate other teams' goals in the oppositions end. Yes, is emotive, yes, it can rub people up the other way, but if someone is celebrating without being abusive, why can't they sit in amongst us?

I did bring my older PalARSE supporting brother to a couple of games in the 80s and 90s, but, as Frank Spencer would say "there was a little bit of trouble". He now goes in the other end of the ground. Similarly, I had a Pompey fan with me the day the trouble kicked off in the SA Road Stand and recently had to sit at opposite ends of the ground from my niece's Barnsley supporting boyfriend.

I am convinced that there is no solution to this as football fans can't cope with opposition celebrating in front of them. It is a shame, but as JFH would say, "it is what it is"...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Moan,moan,moan on 10:01 - Aug 29 with 2544 viewsstowmarketrange

Moan,moan,moan on 09:45 - Aug 29 by davman

Agree on that point around discouraging 14 year olds, but I wonder whether that is for some legislative reason if an U14 gets into difficulty at a ground, which the club may not (legally) be able to deal with. It doesn't seem right, but how young would you apply this to? 14 seems OK, possibly 13, but I am not sure I'd like any 12 yo of mine going to the football by him / herself. I think it is a sign of the changing times unfortunately...

On the other aspect, yes, I get that stopping an single adult sitting where they want is probably not a great idea, but there are plenty of other stands where they could sit.

The one I fully agree with is when you tried to buy a ticket for a mate to join you; it's barking that the rules get in the way of that.

My bug bear with football in general is the lack of a "neutral" area. I have relatives and mates who support other teams and should be able to sit together at a game with them, but that can't work with football as no-one is allowed to celebrate other teams' goals in the oppositions end. Yes, is emotive, yes, it can rub people up the other way, but if someone is celebrating without being abusive, why can't they sit in amongst us?

I did bring my older PalARSE supporting brother to a couple of games in the 80s and 90s, but, as Frank Spencer would say "there was a little bit of trouble". He now goes in the other end of the ground. Similarly, I had a Pompey fan with me the day the trouble kicked off in the SA Road Stand and recently had to sit at opposite ends of the ground from my niece's Barnsley supporting boyfriend.

I am convinced that there is no solution to this as football fans can't cope with opposition celebrating in front of them. It is a shame, but as JFH would say, "it is what it is"...

I’ve stood in the shed end a couple of times with my chelshite mate ,including the milk cup replay in 86,but they never found I was a qpr fan as we had to leave for work at 0-0.I’m not sure that I could’ve kept quiet when Robinson scored from the halfway line.I also brought him to the lower loft for the league game in 1996,but when Furlong scored the winner in the last minute I almost thumped him myself.
Football fans don’t always see the same things as rival fans watching the same incidents do,so there’s always more chance of arguments between fans.Maybe a combined family area is a start towards mixing both sets of fans together?
Moan,moan,moan on 10:49 - Aug 29 with 2383 viewsozranger

I'm a bit interested here, though irrelevant to me. You say this is the family stand and that you need a child to be able to buy a ticket. I am guessing that also applies to season tickets. So, what happens when your kids grow up and are no longer classified as "kids". Can I assume that seats you had been in for over a decade are now no longer available to you and you are forced to move elsewhere in the ground, hoping to find a group of three, four or more seats together? I wonder how the club copes for this.
Moan,moan,moan on 11:15 - Aug 29 with 2306 viewsstowmarketrange

Moan,moan,moan on 10:49 - Aug 29 by ozranger

I'm a bit interested here, though irrelevant to me. You say this is the family stand and that you need a child to be able to buy a ticket. I am guessing that also applies to season tickets. So, what happens when your kids grow up and are no longer classified as "kids". Can I assume that seats you had been in for over a decade are now no longer available to you and you are forced to move elsewhere in the ground, hoping to find a group of three, four or more seats together? I wonder how the club copes for this.

I now take my grandchildren to games as my own children are too old to be able to sit with us.We used to have to buy 5 season tickets because there were 3 adults and only 1 child,which didn’t meet their ratio of 2:1,hence the extra kids ticket.
Unfortunately one of our party couldn’t make games this season and had to give up his season ticket after 50+ years,so now it’s only my brother,me and one of my grandsons.He is 12,so I might have to move on to great grandchildren soon.

But my nephew used to sit with his dad in the family stand until he reached 18 and was told he had to move because he couldn’t buy one in there anymore.
Moan,moan,moan on 11:47 - Aug 29 with 2186 viewsDavieQPR

My kids have always sat with me in the Loft. Never used the family stand because it's not covered. A good soaking is not encouraging for return visits.
Moan,moan,moan on 13:06 - Aug 29 with 2050 viewsSK_hoops

Come on, if a team scores against us in the 96th minute on the last game of the season stopping us from getting into the play offs (For example) can you really say you'd be OK with opposition fans celebrating in our end?
Moan,moan,moan on 13:26 - Aug 29 with 1985 viewsGaryBannisterswedge

Neutral area..... Neutral area, my Lord!!!!
May I suggest you add an S and take off 6 on your sat Nav the next time you want to go to the football
Moan,moan,moan on 14:17 - Aug 29 with 1916 viewsBoston

Adoption UK.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Moan,moan,moan on 14:45 - Aug 29 with 1873 viewscolinallcars

Moan,moan,moan on 10:01 - Aug 29 by stowmarketrange

I’ve stood in the shed end a couple of times with my chelshite mate ,including the milk cup replay in 86,but they never found I was a qpr fan as we had to leave for work at 0-0.I’m not sure that I could’ve kept quiet when Robinson scored from the halfway line.I also brought him to the lower loft for the league game in 1996,but when Furlong scored the winner in the last minute I almost thumped him myself.
Football fans don’t always see the same things as rival fans watching the same incidents do,so there’s always more chance of arguments between fans.Maybe a combined family area is a start towards mixing both sets of fans together?

I can't see mixing of fans happening any time soon, which is a pity. I made a very poor wine selection in a restaurant the evening of the Millwall match. I could have had advice from some of their lads.
Moan,moan,moan on 15:06 - Aug 29 with 1826 viewshamptonhillhoop

My cousin has had to renegotiate his with the club a few times and has managed to retain his seat with his son. I've been buying one for my non attending seventeen year old daughter for years, so I don't know what will happen with that in the next season or so. Having said that, I was under the impression that they seem a bit more relaxed about the family stand now, especially in the current economic climate. Quite full yesterday
Moan,moan,moan on 15:59 - Aug 29 with 1726 viewsdavman

Moan,moan,moan on 13:06 - Aug 29 by SK_hoops

Come on, if a team scores against us in the 96th minute on the last game of the season stopping us from getting into the play offs (For example) can you really say you'd be OK with opposition fans celebrating in our end?

No, but that is not what I am advocating here. Just an area where we can sit with family / friends on the odd occasion we play their teams. I have friends that don't support QPR; there are even two scum fans I'd almost class as 'friends', but I would never, ever sit anywhere near them when we play that lot as that is a guaranteed way to fall out with them!

Can we go out yet?

Moan,moan,moan on 16:09 - Aug 29 with 1703 viewsMatch82

Moan,moan,moan on 15:59 - Aug 29 by davman

No, but that is not what I am advocating here. Just an area where we can sit with family / friends on the odd occasion we play their teams. I have friends that don't support QPR; there are even two scum fans I'd almost class as 'friends', but I would never, ever sit anywhere near them when we play that lot as that is a guaranteed way to fall out with them!

I don't see a problem with a ground split which is 80% Rangers, 10% "neutral" and 10% oppo personally as long as behaviour and expectations for those areas of the ground reflected that.

As for the OP, probably legal reasons as someone else said, but another way of looking at it is that it probably wasn't safer back in the day, we were just less aware/sensitive to that fact.
Moan,moan,moan on 17:24 - Aug 29 with 1571 viewsTomS

I think most neutrals going to a match are happy to sit anywhere among the fans of both teams involved in the match. They don't want to be corralled into a designated area, devoid of atmosphere. QPR, being a London club, have probably benefitted from lots of neutrals attending on any given Saturday, as tourists wanted to catch a match while visiting the city.
Moan,moan,moan on 17:55 - Aug 29 with 1515 viewsdavman

Moan,moan,moan on 17:24 - Aug 29 by TomS

I think most neutrals going to a match are happy to sit anywhere among the fans of both teams involved in the match. They don't want to be corralled into a designated area, devoid of atmosphere. QPR, being a London club, have probably benefitted from lots of neutrals attending on any given Saturday, as tourists wanted to catch a match while visiting the city.

What I meant to suggest was not really a "neutrals" end as, of course there will be many neutrals among us - look at the Play Off Finals for example...

What I think is missing and it is a shame is an area where mates / family who support the teams that are playing can go. As with everything in life, it would work, but undoubtedly someone will come in with the wrong attitude, start a ruck and that'd be the end of it...

I can sit in my living room with mates that support the "other" team; unlikely to do that actually at a game!

Can we go out yet?

Moan,moan,moan on 18:00 - Aug 29 with 1506 viewsSK_hoops

Moan,moan,moan on 15:59 - Aug 29 by davman

OK got you! To be fair, I've bought mates from other teams with me before a few times in Ellerslie road. They're well behaved though, I would never take anyone who I think would be at risk of celebrating when their team scores.
Moan,moan,moan on 19:28 - Aug 29 with 1374 viewsdaveB

Family doesn't have to mean children. The big mistake the club made with the family stand, which was never an issue between 2008 and 2013, has been you have to have a child with you to gain entry. That remains cobblers and suggests that once your child turns 18 they are no longer family.

I sit with my son and my Dad, my mate in their 30's sit with their Dad we are still family whether they have a kid with them or not.

The Family Stand is great imo but the way they sell the tickets has always been the biggest issue especially for midweek games.
Moan,moan,moan on 09:56 - Aug 30 with 1131 viewshamptonhillhoop

Moan,moan,moan on 19:28 - Aug 29 by daveB

Family doesn't have to mean children. The big mistake the club made with the family stand, which was never an issue between 2008 and 2013, has been you have to have a child with you to gain entry. That remains cobblers and suggests that once your child turns 18 they are no longer family.

I sit with my son and my Dad, my mate in their 30's sit with their Dad we are still family whether they have a kid with them or not.

The Family Stand is great imo but the way they sell the tickets has always been the biggest issue especially for midweek games.

This reminds oc a conversation I had with the box office a few years ago when I was trying to convince them that me and my dad (51 and 78 respectively) were actually a family and should qualify for the lower loft. We didn't, so I had to buy a junior ticket for my daughter, who won't go. There's a group who sit near us who we have a long running joke with as to which ones the child as there's about seven of them and the youngest is about 30. They also buy tickets for a couple of random kids who never turn up, but allow them to get in. I think the lower loft being a family stand is one of the worst decisions the club has made in recent times. Its depressingly empty sometimes, especially for evening games
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024