Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. 11:00 - Aug 30 with 14863 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR fan, LFW reader and possibly poster, is losing his Mon -Fri slot and from the 13th September is going to be on Friday, Saturday and Sunday with different timings on each day. The show has been going for more than 25 years!

Those of you, like me, who are regular listeners will be disappointed and wondering what he is going to do about all the regular features he has built up over time, like Listed Londoner, Cover to Cover, El Perfection etc etc. My mornings just won't be the same.

Can't think his wife will be too happy either, with him having to work every weekend.!

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/08/new-daytime-schedule-announced-at-bbc-radio-lon
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 11:15 - Aug 30 with 11442 viewsenfieldargh

I know all things eventually come to an end but his show is pretty unique.

I have his show always on even though I'm working and the music he plays inspires me and opens up the memory banks. He represents everything great about this city and how he knits it all together making Londoners from all sectors of society feel part of this great big mush of a city(IMHO)

He wont be very happy if they give him a Saturday PM slot. There are a few BBC presenters that I like, most of them I can take or leave so if we get a hard hitting political show then what's the point, LBC do that.

Big big shame

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 11:15 - Aug 30 with 11435 viewscollegeranger

Thats gonna nause up his away matches and early kick offs!!
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 11:56 - Aug 30 with 11304 viewsfrancisbowles

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 11:15 - Aug 30 by enfieldargh

I know all things eventually come to an end but his show is pretty unique.

I have his show always on even though I'm working and the music he plays inspires me and opens up the memory banks. He represents everything great about this city and how he knits it all together making Londoners from all sectors of society feel part of this great big mush of a city(IMHO)

He wont be very happy if they give him a Saturday PM slot. There are a few BBC presenters that I like, most of them I can take or leave so if we get a hard hitting political show then what's the point, LBC do that.

Big big shame

No he is keeping the 10am-1pm slot on Saturdays that they added to his Mon-Fri shows a few year back. It does stop him going to a lot of away games and early kick offs. However, he has been known to rush out of the BBC into a black cab and jump on a train bound for somewhere north of Watford more or less in time for ko.
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 12:07 - Aug 30 with 11232 viewskensalriser

I've been listening for years too.

Although I'm still a fan I think this was inevitable as the show hasn't done enough to update itself in recent years and there's been far too much back in the day stuff for the over 60s, which isn't great radio and increasingly irrelevant for most people.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 13:15 - Aug 30 with 11067 viewsfrancisbowles

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 12:07 - Aug 30 by kensalriser

Although I'm still a fan I think this was inevitable as the show hasn't done enough to update itself in recent years and there's been far too much back in the day stuff for the over 60s, which isn't great radio and increasingly irrelevant for most people.

Yes I can understand it but another chat show with jo public ringing in often with their ill informed opinions, not for me! (yep I'm over 60 lol)
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 13:23 - Aug 30 with 11027 viewsdmm

I don't listen to his show but know it's been very popular for years so this change is a real shame.

I have read his book, London Made Us, though and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a must for those who've lived in London from the 60s onwards. Lots of fantastic stories from days gone by.
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 13:24 - Aug 30 with 11023 viewsMick_S

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 13:23 - Aug 30 by dmm

I don't listen to his show but know it's been very popular for years so this change is a real shame.

I have read his book, London Made Us, though and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a must for those who've lived in London from the 60s onwards. Lots of fantastic stories from days gone by.

The monkey on the train is a belter.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 14:54 - Aug 30 with 10818 viewsBoston

Early riser over here and I listen occasionally. Got to admit it’s a bit of a hit and miss show for me, the days it’s good, it’s very entertaining, sadly there are days I’ll keep clicking the dial, but that’s often more to do with his guests than himself.
Is the ‘strumpet’ that follows him having her schedule rearranged?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 15:13 - Aug 30 with 10760 viewsT_Block

Well that will stop me listening to radio London.I know he is Rangers and all that but it is Radio with at least half a brain.As you say talk radio consists of idiot opinion which presenters can't challenge.
Well there's Ron in Lewisham with his thoughts what do other listeners think? Elms actually understands these people even if he has just sold his house for a few million....
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 16:36 - Aug 30 with 10590 viewsBlackCrowe

Dare i suggest that he's the wrong gender and ethnic group for the BBC these days? It's a big shame - he was my constant companion over these past 18 months WFH.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 17:01 - Aug 30 with 10541 viewsHarbour

Steve Wright same show still there £400k salary I would rather listen to Robert …
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 17:11 - Aug 30 with 10512 viewsRs_Holy

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 16:36 - Aug 30 by BlackCrowe

Dare i suggest that he's the wrong gender and ethnic group for the BBC these days? It's a big shame - he was my constant companion over these past 18 months WFH.

Totally agree… the BBC is going down the pan pretty quickly imho… I thought his show had fantastic mix of topical chat, a very broad spectrum of music, and some really informative stuff about the history of London. I suppose he isn’t ‘up to date’ enough for the Beeb but when you look at the absolute mush of beige nothingness they broadcast on daytime tv it seems a bonkers decision to me???
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 17:37 - Aug 30 with 10439 viewsDiscodroids

Haven't listened to Elms for years but i did sit next to him and Gary Crowley along with their Girlfriends/Wifes at Leyton Orient in a league cup game the best part of 20 years ago.

It was during the wilderness years of a former life of voracious excess when i toiled in the square Mile. I came straight from work and was charged up on petrol washed glacial flake and in tow with my then Spanish Wife . I engaged Crowley with a racy vignette of my cousin Mick Herbage from 'Department S' , Vaughn Toulouse and Andy Polaris and offered him a Livener. He replied 'no thanks mate , i've got to go to the Velvet rooms Astoria to review(the band) 'Corner shop' after this'.

I was impressed by that. Leyton Orient and then Cornershop in one night , f ucking Hell. The man has adamantium willpower.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 17:40]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 18:09 - Aug 30 with 10352 viewsBoston

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 17:37 - Aug 30 by Discodroids

Haven't listened to Elms for years but i did sit next to him and Gary Crowley along with their Girlfriends/Wifes at Leyton Orient in a league cup game the best part of 20 years ago.

It was during the wilderness years of a former life of voracious excess when i toiled in the square Mile. I came straight from work and was charged up on petrol washed glacial flake and in tow with my then Spanish Wife . I engaged Crowley with a racy vignette of my cousin Mick Herbage from 'Department S' , Vaughn Toulouse and Andy Polaris and offered him a Livener. He replied 'no thanks mate , i've got to go to the Velvet rooms Astoria to review(the band) 'Corner shop' after this'.

I was impressed by that. Leyton Orient and then Cornershop in one night , f ucking Hell. The man has adamantium willpower.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 17:40]

Isn’t Crowley a Gooner?

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 18:34 - Aug 30 with 10270 viewsDiscodroids

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 18:09 - Aug 30 by Boston

Isn’t Crowley a Gooner?

No idea Boston, But he was sitting next to Elms that night.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 20:50 - Aug 30 with 10066 views1MoreBrightonR

Tin hat on here, but to attribute this to the fact that he is male and white, at the BBC is pretty desperate.

if anything, when he joined the station 25 years, it was massively male and white and it finally is starting to even out and that reflects the demographics of the city.

He's been doing he same show for 25 years, which is amazing, and hardly any DJs can say that so surely its just a sign that it's time for a change in style or a reshuffle etc. No one was claiming he kept his show for 25 years because he was male and white, so why does that have to be the reason why its ended? isn't the fact an white male had a show for 25 years proof that it doesn't matter!?
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 21:24 - Aug 30 with 10000 viewsBlackCrowe

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 20:50 - Aug 30 by 1MoreBrightonR

Tin hat on here, but to attribute this to the fact that he is male and white, at the BBC is pretty desperate.

if anything, when he joined the station 25 years, it was massively male and white and it finally is starting to even out and that reflects the demographics of the city.

He's been doing he same show for 25 years, which is amazing, and hardly any DJs can say that so surely its just a sign that it's time for a change in style or a reshuffle etc. No one was claiming he kept his show for 25 years because he was male and white, so why does that have to be the reason why its ended? isn't the fact an white male had a show for 25 years proof that it doesn't matter!?

You might be right, i don't know, but he's replaced by Eddie Mair (who's ok but a bit banal) and Jo Good who is moved to 1am graveyard slot is replaced by Jeanette Kwakye (who i don't know and can't judge).

If the listening figures for elms and goode are plummeting then fair enough, if not or they think they'll boost them with these presenters, then also fair enough, but my day is a little bit poorer for it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 21:55 - Aug 30 with 9956 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 13:23 - Aug 30 by dmm

Yes, I enjoyed that book as well.
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 22:42 - Aug 30 with 9886 viewsBoston

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 21:24 - Aug 30 by BlackCrowe

You might be right, i don't know, but he's replaced by Eddie Mair (who's ok but a bit banal) and Jo Good who is moved to 1am graveyard slot is replaced by Jeanette Kwakye (who i don't know and can't judge).

If the listening figures for elms and goode are plummeting then fair enough, if not or they think they'll boost them with these presenters, then also fair enough, but my day is a little bit poorer for it.

I sometimes have Eddie Mair on at work...myself and the other Londoner's refer to him as 'Night'.

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 22:52 - Aug 30 with 9856 viewsenfieldargh

BBC Radio London still employ Tony Blackburn, he's still only 36

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 23:10 - Aug 30 with 9805 viewsRs_Holy

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 20:50 - Aug 30 by 1MoreBrightonR

I really have no idea why they want change? Maybe it’s more to do with age? Robert Elms is 62 and Jo Good is quite a bit older than that.
If the person making the decisions is a lot younger they may see Elms and Good as not relevant anymore?
I love the Robert Elms show as you learn something new about London every day, hear some great classic tunes and really good new music. They have the broadest possible spectrum of guests and intelligent, informative regular contributors. It’s a real shame as it has been mentioned that during lockdown many people on their own relied on the show…
I signed the petition but it won’t make any difference as they’ve already printed the comments of his replacement, so it would look pretty stupid if they changed their minds now.
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 23:23 - Aug 30 with 9783 viewsBoston

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 23:10 - Aug 30 by Rs_Holy

I really have no idea why they want change? Maybe it’s more to do with age? Robert Elms is 62 and Jo Good is quite a bit older than that.
If the person making the decisions is a lot younger they may see Elms and Good as not relevant anymore?
I love the Robert Elms show as you learn something new about London every day, hear some great classic tunes and really good new music. They have the broadest possible spectrum of guests and intelligent, informative regular contributors. It’s a real shame as it has been mentioned that during lockdown many people on their own relied on the show…
I signed the petition but it won’t make any difference as they’ve already printed the comments of his replacement, so it would look pretty stupid if they changed their minds now.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the gold cufflink shufflers, there's still an open seat on the board at Coca Cola.

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 08:21 - Aug 31 with 9566 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've caught his show a few times I liked it.

I don't really listen to radio apart from LBC.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 08:30 - Aug 31 with 9552 viewsw7r

This has boiled my pi££.

24 years I’ve been listening to Roberts show.

Intelligent chat, great music, interesting regular contributors, callers that can string a sentence together, eclectic mix of all things London. So it appeals to a middle aged audience, and is presented by a middle-aged Londoner. Is that such a crime?

What are they trying to achieve here? Ticking a box that’s what they’re doing. I won’t name names but there are a good number of presenters on the BBC that aren’t fit to be on there. They’re better suited to hospital radio, pirate radio or their own YouTube channel, not taking up primetime bandwidth that should be the preserve of professional broadcasters, the likes of Elms, Vanessa Feltz, Eddie Nesta, Dotun, Jo and a few others. I despair at the standard of some of the presenters on Radio London now, some have a questionable grasp of English ffs.

Another stupid decision, like getting shot of Danny Baker, the evening sports show with Phil Parry and co. I understand that some of these cuts were due to finances, but deary me Steve Wright is reportedly on £400k pa - really?

More dumbing down of the BBC in the name of diversity. Well done BBC.

Oh, and I’m not a black cab driver.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 9:11]
Robert Elms losing his daily radio show. on 09:31 - Aug 31 with 9455 viewsrsonist

Spot on. Bit of a shame too as he's had fairly unique scope to join the dots and stay topical, if he were inclined to do so.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024