Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report 17:21 - Sep 19 with 2686 viewsNorthernr

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report 19th Sep 2021 17:17
Former hometown favourite Nahki Wells returned to W12 with an injury time winner totally against the run of play on Saturday as QPR slipped to their second defeat in a week, this time in heartbreaking fashion against Bristol City. 18

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 17:34 - Sep 19 with 2631 viewsPinnerPaul

Excellent stuff, especially around supporting a team outside the 'Big 4"

Made my observations on refereeing relating matters on other threads, but had forgotten about the Gray offside - agree looked on - live.

Non QPR - but you're so right about Mr Grealish. He's stuck out wide left for City - does the odd cameo, but they have loads who could do that - £100M plus his wages? Seems barmy to me.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 17:39]
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 18:11 - Sep 19 with 2463 viewsNoelmc

Thanks Clive. Totally agree with many of the comments in your report.

I believe if we can consistently achieve yesterday's performance level, we will finish in the top 6.

I know the circumstances of the defeat were sickening, but I'm glad we really went for it in the end in an attempt to get the extra two points we deserved. Yes, it can be a risky strategy and it cost us a defeat and point in the end, but I fully support the positive attitude shown by Warbs and the players. It's exactly what I want to see from my team.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 21:39]
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 19:52 - Sep 19 with 2173 viewscolinallcars

A fine report on a game most of us couldn't make head nor tail of.
I'm happy the team went hell for leather for the win - OK we got caught out but we'll put it behind us.
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 20:57 - Sep 19 with 2007 viewseastside_r

As the song goes 'Mama said there'd be days like these'. I remember a Monday night Sky game against a (still good) Liverpool team back in the 90s. A game that decades later I still can't believe we did not win.

The opposition's hero that night was Mike Hooper (I think) the Reds' back-up keeper, who saved everything that night. Liverpool stole the game at the last, Ronnie Rosenthal (yes, really.)

Clive's preview said that this could be a big week. Even bigger now if we lose to Everton and West Brom, neither of which would be a shock. I hope it doesn't happen, but four losses in quick succession would be a massive test of character for the squad and a massive test of nerve for the manager.

We live in interesting times.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 20:58]
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 22:27 - Sep 19 with 1850 viewsBrianMcCarthy

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 20:57 - Sep 19 by eastside_r

As the song goes 'Mama said there'd be days like these'. I remember a Monday night Sky game against a (still good) Liverpool team back in the 90s. A game that decades later I still can't believe we did not win.

The opposition's hero that night was Mike Hooper (I think) the Reds' back-up keeper, who saved everything that night. Liverpool stole the game at the last, Ronnie Rosenthal (yes, really.)

Clive's preview said that this could be a big week. Even bigger now if we lose to Everton and West Brom, neither of which would be a shock. I hope it doesn't happen, but four losses in quick succession would be a massive test of character for the squad and a massive test of nerve for the manager.

"As the song goes 'Mama said there'd be days like these'. I remember a Monday night Sky game against a (still good) Liverpool team back in the 90s. A game that decades later I still can't believe we did not win.

The opposition's hero that night was Mike Hooper (I think) the Reds' back-up keeper, who saved everything that night. Liverpool stole the game at the last, Ronnie Rosenthal (yes, really.)"

Remember that game well, Eastside.

After the game in the SAR I walked past Souness and Harry Redknapp, and they were agreeing that Jamie was a "Future England Captain". I stopped, with what I hope was the air of an International Man of Mystery.

"Strange", I said, tipping my fedora from a jaunty angle to a more menacing one.
"All those cops around, and no-one stopped the robbery.

I strolled on, and out the door, out into the West London Night. The type of west London Night where truth is truth, and lies die on the Westway.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 22:32 - Sep 19 with 1838 viewsOldPedro

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 20:57 - Sep 19 by eastside_r

I remember that game as I'd travelled from South Wales (where I was living at the time) but got delayed - arrived just before kick-off but the game was a sell-out and the gates were shut.

Drove home listening to the game on the radio :-(

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 05:17 - Sep 20 with 1559 viewsstainrods_elbow

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 22:27 - Sep 19 by BrianMcCarthy

"As the song goes 'Mama said there'd be days like these'. I remember a Monday night Sky game against a (still good) Liverpool team back in the 90s. A game that decades later I still can't believe we did not win.

The opposition's hero that night was Mike Hooper (I think) the Reds' back-up keeper, who saved everything that night. Liverpool stole the game at the last, Ronnie Rosenthal (yes, really.)"

Remember that game well, Eastside.

After the game in the SAR I walked past Souness and Harry Redknapp, and they were agreeing that Jamie was a "Future England Captain". I stopped, with what I hope was the air of an International Man of Mystery.

"Strange", I said, tipping my fedora from a jaunty angle to a more menacing one.
"All those cops around, and no-one stopped the robbery.

I strolled on, and out the door, out into the West London Night. The type of west London Night where truth is truth, and lies die on the Westway.

Love the line about the fedora. I assume you're writing for a living.

Perhaps you could title your next noirish novel 'Chewing the Fat with Saggy Chops in the Shadows of South Africa Road'?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 10:10 - Sep 20 with 1297 viewsBklynRanger

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 19:52 - Sep 19 by colinallcars

A fine report on a game most of us couldn't make head nor tail of.
I'm happy the team went hell for leather for the win - OK we got caught out but we'll put it behind us.

I'm glad you say that Colin, because I couldn't really make head nor tail of it either. Some of that has to go down to being at 2 live games since lockdown - that bizarre Reading game last Feb (sat in the away end but so grateful to be there) and the Man U friendly.

I was on holiday for the start of the season so Saturday was my first one back. And I did think we were more lethargic than we needed to be in that first half, as if we were very intentionally saving ourselves for a busy week ahead; having just JoJo on his own in order to get 2 up front didn't work; and the ref let Bristol away with too much time wasting throughout.

The confusing thing is that quite a few people around me, halfway along the Ellerslie, seemed to be equally non-plussed, more at least than many of these other reports and reactions. So that game for me personally was a real head-scratcher tbh - looking forward to comparing it with future performances.

Great report anyway in terms of getting another view. And that Rosenthal goal mentioned above I remember well - went with a mild-mannered Liverpool supporter friend who had to endure a fair bit of sulking on the way home. Think it might have got goal of the month.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 10:11]
Login to get fewer ads

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 10:24 - Sep 20 with 1261 viewsgazza1

I was well disappointed & still am.....say what you like but you cannot go chasing games and have no discipline because if you do you will 'gift' the opposition late goals, just like we did. Take what you got and be thankful (but a little disappionted).

Nobody else's fault except ourselves.
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 11:20 - Sep 20 with 1184 viewssprocket

Reminded me of the EPL Liverpool game a few season back when they broke from a corner to score at the death. As soon as BC broke I put my hand over my eyes...oh no not again
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 12:17 - Sep 20 with 1105 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great report, thanks Clive.
Baffled by so many takes on here about how this decision or that selection 'didn't work'. We dominated the vast majority of the game. We didn't lose because of a wrong selection, or even because of tactics. We lost because of a couple of poor mistakes, some not great finishing and finally, for the winner, two horrendous pieces of bad fortune.

I watched the Chelsea game yesterday and saw their second goal - that piece of fortune really eluded us yesterday, and yes, I am absolutely of the opinion that 'you make your own luck' - but on Saturday we did more than enough to make our own luck, and it didn't quite happen.

It's funny - that whole xg debate before the break was about how we were scoring more than our xgs suggested we should, but were winning. Last two games it feels like the opposite!

Bare bones.

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 12:35 - Sep 20 with 1075 viewswestberksr

yep, that just about summed it up nicely Clive.

still can't fathom how we've taken nil points from the last 2 games but possibly exhausted our early season luck in August.

all in all pretty standard championship fair, totally dominate and get bummed in the gob at the death by a former player. Would rather lose like that than a drab 1-1, not making chances or being lucky to draw. This version at least gives me hope and some of the play on Saturday was very entertaining.

RB is the problem position though & teams will exploit that.
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:07 - Sep 20 with 1003 viewsnix

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 12:17 - Sep 20 by Antti_Heinola

Great report, thanks Clive.
Baffled by so many takes on here about how this decision or that selection 'didn't work'. We dominated the vast majority of the game. We didn't lose because of a wrong selection, or even because of tactics. We lost because of a couple of poor mistakes, some not great finishing and finally, for the winner, two horrendous pieces of bad fortune.

I watched the Chelsea game yesterday and saw their second goal - that piece of fortune really eluded us yesterday, and yes, I am absolutely of the opinion that 'you make your own luck' - but on Saturday we did more than enough to make our own luck, and it didn't quite happen.

It's funny - that whole xg debate before the break was about how we were scoring more than our xgs suggested we should, but were winning. Last two games it feels like the opposite!

I agree regarding the luck. I thought we had a bit of luck in some matches earlier in the season, when the ball fell for us kindly both in attack and defence, as well as some 50/50 reffing decisions going in our favour and the last two matches we haven't done. All that says to me is that there is more chance involved in individual matches than we'd like to believe, although class tells more across a whole season.

Which is why knee jerk reactions across one or two games are so irritating.
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:09 - Sep 20 with 997 viewsTheChef

I think so far this season we're doing more than enough to win games, certainly we're creating enough chances. So I'm just enjoying the ride - frustrating as it is to lose in the 93rd minute when the other team has only had three shots on target.

Roll on Everton tomorrow night.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:35 - Sep 20 with 938 viewsPinnerPaul

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:07 - Sep 20 by nix

I agree regarding the luck. I thought we had a bit of luck in some matches earlier in the season, when the ball fell for us kindly both in attack and defence, as well as some 50/50 reffing decisions going in our favour and the last two matches we haven't done. All that says to me is that there is more chance involved in individual matches than we'd like to believe, although class tells more across a whole season.

Which is why knee jerk reactions across one or two games are so irritating.

No key match incidents for either referee to get wrong in last two matches though.
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:40 - Sep 20 with 924 viewsNorthernr

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:35 - Sep 20 by PinnerPaul

No key match incidents for either referee to get wrong in last two matches though.

Bournemouth handball penalty.
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:48 - Sep 20 with 901 viewsnix

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:35 - Sep 20 by PinnerPaul

We'll agree to differ on the Bournemouth game as regards reffing PP. The decision to allow pull backs, shoves in the back, persistent fouling and blatant time wasting without booking early on could well have affected the course of the game as much as, say, one penalty decision. But that's my viewpoint and I didn't like the softly, softly reffing in the Euros either. Equally I don't like people just falling over, but then Ejaria did a couple of times in the Reading game and got a foul in his favour, so 🤷🏽‍♀️.

In the last game it was more about the ball falling to them kindly then de Wijs slipping for the second goal, so a bit of luck.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 13:53]
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:49 - Sep 20 with 893 viewsPinnerPaul

City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 13:40 - Sep 20 by Northernr

Bournemouth handball penalty.

Yes agree but not a KMI, by pure chance I admit, because we scored two seconds later.

Would have been mentioned in the assessor's report I'm sure, but as you've illustrated that doesn't seem to have any effect on this particular referee!
City's smash and grab sucker punch stuns QPR - Report on 14:13 - Sep 20 with 854 viewsderbyhoop

It's hard to come to terms with a robbery like that but it does happen.
Nearly 50 years ago, I was on the plus side of one of those results.
Playing a side well above us in the table we took a shock 1-0 HT lead.
Second half we got battered.
They hit the woodwork 4 times and had 4 more disallowed.
We broke away, scored a second and ending up winning 2-1.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024