Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dieng peno save 10:01 - Sep 22 with 4354 viewsstainrods_elbow

I fulminated at the time, but was the ref right? I've looked at it a few times since, and it seems Seny did marginally encroach off his line, but I'd be surprised if that hasn't happened many times before with no action. I'm also thinking of that outrageous incident when we had a pen at HQ a sesason or so back (it might have been one of Wells's) when one of the oppo defenders encroached so far into the box he was virtually alongside the ball. Was this a case of 'proper' Prem technical reffing that we never would have seen in a bog-standard Champ game? At the time, it looked harsh to me. Perhaps the ref. just wanted to see if the kicker would score, but there's another question in my mind as to why, if he saw an infringement, he didn't stop play and delay the pen rather than allow Seny to make a great save and then punish him for it.

Can anyone remember an incident where this has happened before? It also seems bizarre that the laws apparently allow all kinds of pre-kick high jinks by the keeper (whether on his line or off it) - think of Grobbelaar and his wobbly knees back in the 80s - in ways that I'm never sure help the keepers themselvesl But I was just thrilled that Seny saved two to take us through, as his record has been poor here up to now.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dieng peno save on 10:08 - Sep 22 with 2792 viewspaulhoop2

Couple of people I was say with suggested it may have been because of the guy who ran onto the pitch and not encroachment? Fair point as I can’t see any encouragement looking at footage etc

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Dieng peno save on 10:13 - Sep 22 with 2754 viewsdaveB

he was off his line so the ref was right
Dieng peno save on 10:13 - Sep 22 with 2752 viewsMalintabuk

I thought Friend had a decent game last night. At the game I could not understand why he gave the retake, it looked a good save by Dieng
And at the game it wasn't even obvious why it was retaken. Dieng was hardly half way in the 6 yard box, and it was only my nephew who was with us at the game text this morning to say that he was literally a foot outside the goal
So it was a good spot I guess by Friend and technically a correct decision.
What was impressive though, by both teams, was the penalties themselves.
When Duke-Makenna strolled there was an audible what the hell around us, but a cool head
Dieng peno save on 10:14 - Sep 22 with 2740 viewsBazzeR

Maybe because the Lino got so much abuse from the Ellerslie Rd stand earlier
Dieng peno save on 10:16 - Sep 22 with 2730 viewsAntti_Heinola

Correct decision, he was off his line v early.
A year or two ago prob would’ve got away with it, but theyve cracked down in the last year havent they?
Absolutely that pen we missed a couple of years back Shouldve been retaken for encroachment

Bare bones.

Dieng peno save on 10:20 - Sep 22 with 2680 viewsWalnut

Pretty certain it was due to Dieng not having either foot on the line which is a requirement. Not sure either official was aware of the invader. PP may correct me here but I think the "back in the day (Grobbelaar") comparisons are irrelevant as rules surrounding penalties do change, eg that one foot on the line, as is now. Also, a ref wouldn't stop a run up because of Dieng's dancing as the "offence" would only be as the ball was struck, not before?
There's an amazing still that did make it on to this forum of Wells penalty miss v Brum which showed a large number of Brummies encroaching but more to the point, encroaching a long way into the box, all while the ref was giving the visuals he was looking out for it. That was no more than cowardice on his part not to order a retake.
Is there such a thing as proper Prem tech reffing? If someone wants to find the still of Charlie having a penalty saved v West Ham in the Prem & see where the keeper was as he struck the ball, we call all wonder at what the lino / ref were doing not getting a retake.
Dieng peno save on 10:25 - Sep 22 with 2652 viewsstevec

I was mad at the time, god knows how many retakes there would be if every ref carried it to the letter of the law but did notice, a penalty or two earlier, that Friend had a conversation with Dieng which I’d guess was to do with his antics and possible transgressions before penalties being taken that had so far gone in.
Dieng peno save on 10:33 - Sep 22 with 2613 viewsMrSheen

Some sampling issues at work. How often do you see 16 (or 17) penalties in the same night? Also, he might have called some of the others if they had been saved, but only two were. I'm not generally a cup attender, so I think that was my first QPR shoot out, and my first in the flesh anywhere since England - Germany 1996!. I forgive my own pessimism.
Login to get fewer ads

Dieng peno save on 10:34 - Sep 22 with 2608 viewsLunarJetman

Dieng peno save on 10:25 - Sep 22 by stevec

I was mad at the time, god knows how many retakes there would be if every ref carried it to the letter of the law but did notice, a penalty or two earlier, that Friend had a conversation with Dieng which I’d guess was to do with his antics and possible transgressions before penalties being taken that had so far gone in.

Dieng was off the line when the guy struck the penalty so retake ordered. Looked pretty clear on the highlights so as much as it’s frustrating, especially as others have got away with it, he was off his line so retake correct.
Dieng peno save on 10:35 - Sep 22 with 2605 viewswillis1980

i was surprised to see it enforced for once, apparently the rules during penalties are rarely enforced properly. If they had of been enforced properly during the Euros final a few of Englands penalties wouldve had to have been retaken as Donnarumma was constantly either in front or behind the line without any part of foot touching the line.
Dieng peno save on 10:39 - Sep 22 with 2577 viewsstowmarketrange

Dieng peno save on 10:14 - Sep 22 by BazzeR

It wasn’t the lino that spotted anything wrong though.Is was the ref that noticed Dieng off his line.The Lino only has one job to do in a penalty shootout,and he didn’t appear to do it properly.
Another thing I noticed about the genuine save by Dieng was the ball appeared to be spinning in the air and might’ve been spinning back towards the goal,but when Davies caught it,it was deemed a miss.
I’ve just seen it again and the lino was the one from the other side of the pitch from Ellerslie Road.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 10:58]
Dieng peno save on 10:40 - Sep 22 with 2578 viewswortonranger

Under 10’s Six a side. Multiple pitches. Penalty shoot out. Our goalie saves. Ref notices ball on outside of net from other pitch. Orders re-take..They score . We lose. I’m livid... goal would have stood if the kid hadn’t missed first time! I think I took my manager role a bit too seriously!
Dieng peno save on 10:47 - Sep 22 with 2541 viewsAddinall

Previous poor decisions by referees are irrelevant. Seny did not have a foot in contact with the line (in my day it would have been two feet) so Kevin Friend got it right.
Dieng peno save on 10:52 - Sep 22 with 2511 viewsthemodfather

there was a retaken pen down at pompey when we were going up, we scored em both, last night, as it has been said often, goalies do move to get momentum, dieng was along his line and moved forwards, off the line by inches, thus season 100s of pens will be taken and FEW will be retaken , if any and i bet those rules won't apply for the big prem clubs!
Dieng peno save on 11:01 - Sep 22 with 2457 viewsstowmarketrange

Dieng peno save on 10:52 - Sep 22 by themodfather

there was a retaken pen down at pompey when we were going up, we scored em both, last night, as it has been said often, goalies do move to get momentum, dieng was along his line and moved forwards, off the line by inches, thus season 100s of pens will be taken and FEW will be retaken , if any and i bet those rules won't apply for the big prem clubs!

I think that it was Pompey that had the penalty retaken because Paddy Kenny saved the 1st from Lawrence as he was an inch off his line.They scored the retake and we drew 1-1.
Dieng peno save on 11:05 - Sep 22 with 2432 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Dieng peno save on 10:14 - Sep 22 by BazzeR

Yes, when I heard it was him that had spotted it that crossed my mind as well.
Dieng peno save on 11:12 - Sep 22 with 2373 viewsManinBlack

The keeper's now tend to stand behind the line now as demonstrated by the Liverpool keeper saving a Norwich penalty last night. This method allows the goalkeeper to step forward and be on the line when making the save. If Seny had done that he would have still saved the penalty and been on his line.
Dieng peno save on 11:12 - Sep 22 with 2369 viewsLazyFan

It was a correct decision Dieng had both feet half a yard forward from the line as the ball was struck.

However, this makes it more amusing, as Everton fans cannot say the pens were not fair and we get to see Dieng have a go at the ref asking if the 2nd save was okay. Also, their goalie was getting closer to our pens as we went down the order.

And of course, we get to say "Everton Dienged and Dunne" :)

zzzzzzzzzz

Dieng peno save on 11:23 - Sep 22 with 2340 viewswillis1980

Dieng peno save on 11:12 - Sep 22 by ManinBlack

The keeper's now tend to stand behind the line now as demonstrated by the Liverpool keeper saving a Norwich penalty last night. This method allows the goalkeeper to step forward and be on the line when making the save. If Seny had done that he would have still saved the penalty and been on his line.

im not 100% but i dont think thats allowed either, apparently at least one foot has to be on the line as ball is struck. Pickfords tactic is to have one foot behind and one on the line.
Dieng peno save on 12:04 - Sep 22 with 2204 viewsdavman

Dieng peno save on 11:23 - Sep 22 by willis1980

im not 100% but i dont think thats allowed either, apparently at least one foot has to be on the line as ball is struck. Pickfords tactic is to have one foot behind and one on the line.

It was a correct decision.

However, the one during the 90 minutes when their defender (Holgate or Godfrey?) fell on the ball landing on his arm was an absolute cop out and a clear pen.

They were both really crap on the night by the way. Much happier having BFD, Jordy, Dunne and Yoann at our club...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dieng peno save on 12:33 - Sep 22 with 2095 viewsstowmarketrange

Dieng peno save on 12:04 - Sep 22 by davman

It was a correct decision.

However, the one during the 90 minutes when their defender (Holgate or Godfrey?) fell on the ball landing on his arm was an absolute cop out and a clear pen.

They were both really crap on the night by the way. Much happier having BFD, Jordy, Dunne and Yoann at our club...

That was as much a handball as when I caught the ball behind the goal on about 25 minutes.I don’t expect the lino to see but the ref should’ve noticed it and penalised the defender.
Dieng peno save on 12:46 - Sep 22 with 2039 viewsgazza1

Dieng peno save on 10:40 - Sep 22 by wortonranger

Under 10’s Six a side. Multiple pitches. Penalty shoot out. Our goalie saves. Ref notices ball on outside of net from other pitch. Orders re-take..They score . We lose. I’m livid... goal would have stood if the kid hadn’t missed first time! I think I took my manager role a bit too seriously!

1-Poor Reffing
2-The result does not matter

As for the3 Dieng incident - retake is correct decision.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 12:46]
Dieng peno save on 12:53 - Sep 22 with 1999 viewsJuzzie

Dieng peno save on 10:16 - Sep 22 by Antti_Heinola

Correct decision, he was off his line v early.
A year or two ago prob would’ve got away with it, but theyve cracked down in the last year havent they?
Absolutely that pen we missed a couple of years back Shouldve been retaken for encroachment

v Birmingham in the last minute and we lost 4-3? It wasn't just encroachment, Birmingham players en mass literary invaded the whole penalty area. They were almost in line with their goalie.

I thought Dieng was marginally off his line but I'm sure I've seen it many times and nothing done. That has to be the benchmark now surely? Any scored where the goalie is off his line anyone can say "hang on, Dieng's had to be retaken so surely ours too?".

I won't hold my breath though....

[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 12:57]
Dieng peno save on 13:05 - Sep 22 with 1944 viewsCroydonCaptJack

One thing I couldn't understand (and apologies if covered elsewhere) was how come pens were taken at the away end AND they took the first pen. Presumably having lost the toss for ends we decided to take ours second?
Dieng peno save on 13:12 - Sep 22 with 1922 viewsplasmahoop

It's probably correct that the penalty was retaken, but goalkeepers all tend to move forward off their line and flop on the floor. Most penalties should be retaken on that basis. They'd be better off staying stiller for longer, and staying on the line
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024