Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… 20:32 - Oct 12 with 11808 viewsjoe90

I watched a really good documentary about Nirvana’s first UK tour and it got me thinking about how all the great bands stated life doing small gigs and for the fans attending it must have been a great buzz being at the start of something special.

So which great bands/artist have you seen play live either at the beginning of their career or in their prime?

I’m sure some of you must have some great stories.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:11 - Oct 12 with 4941 viewsDiscodroids

Saw Oasis at the island ilford 1994, the gig was 2 minutes from my front door.

Also Daft Punk at the Astoria 1996, probably no more than 30 people there.

Best gigs;

Kraftwerk, Tribal Gathering, 1997 first uk tour for a decade.
Tom Tom Club, jazz cafe, 2011
Chemical Brothers, Turnmills, 1996. used to see them dj at the heavenly social back in 1994.
Blancmange, chnnerys southend, 2017, better late than never
john foxx, roundhouse, 2010. the mans a genius.

like tears in rain. Magic.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 21:13]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:20 - Oct 12 with 4920 viewsgobbles

Saw Muse and Coldplay as support acts at the Astoria in 2000.
Once saw The La's play the Marquee.
Saw Ed Sheeran a a little tent at Reading Festival
Once saw Kenny G play a private set with the house band at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo after he had played some arena in the city that day (he was very good!)

Best gig I ever saw was The Waterboys at Portsmouth in around 1989
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:25 - Oct 12 with 4902 viewshantssi

Think the gig I most enjoyed was Meatloaf at Wembley Empire Pool, Bat Out of Hell tour.
Most memorable gig, Led Zeppelin at Knebworth 1979 (I think) in the days before the “sanitised” festivals of today.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:37 - Oct 12 with 4885 viewsqueensparker

Loads spring to mind, probably forgotten a few!

Saw Oasis in their early years a few times including the Duchess of York in Leeds which was basically a pub, clear even then they were going to be massive.

My Morning Jacket in 2001 in east London somewhere blew me away, didn’t know much about them and have loved them ever since.

Saw Sonic Youth a lot around the Dirty album period, had to go on my tod as nobody else was interested, I loved them back then. Brilliant live band.

The Rollercoaster tour in 1991 at Brixton Academy which was Blur, Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr, what a line up a deafening night out that was.

Always remember seeing Inspiral Carpets in Subterrania in Ladbroke Grove as I had a Rangers top on, me and mates teamed up with another QPR fan to nick all the backstage beer and we handed it out to the crowd, he got thrown out but I managed to escape.

Lyn Collins of James Brown fame at the Jazz Cafe.

Chemical Brothers just after they changed their name from Dust Brothers at Leeds. Left field at Brixton around the same time which was the loudest gig I’ve ever been to.

The Specials in Hammersmith the day I got engaged.

Man I’ve missed live music.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:48 - Oct 12 with 4853 viewsE17hoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:11 - Oct 12 by Discodroids

Saw Oasis at the island ilford 1994, the gig was 2 minutes from my front door.

Also Daft Punk at the Astoria 1996, probably no more than 30 people there.

Best gigs;

Kraftwerk, Tribal Gathering, 1997 first uk tour for a decade.
Tom Tom Club, jazz cafe, 2011
Chemical Brothers, Turnmills, 1996. used to see them dj at the heavenly social back in 1994.
Blancmange, chnnerys southend, 2017, better late than never
john foxx, roundhouse, 2010. the mans a genius.

like tears in rain. Magic.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 21:13]

Prodigy at the Island Ilford in Oct 1995.

Pearl Jam at the Astoria, April 2006.

Faith No More at Brixton, June 2009.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:53 - Oct 12 with 4828 viewsOutWestR

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:37 - Oct 12 by queensparker

Saw Oasis in their early years a few times including the Duchess of York in Leeds which was basically a pub, clear even then they were going to be massive.

My Morning Jacket in 2001 in east London somewhere blew me away, didn’t know much about them and have loved them ever since.

Saw Sonic Youth a lot around the Dirty album period, had to go on my tod as nobody else was interested, I loved them back then. Brilliant live band.

The Rollercoaster tour in 1991 at Brixton Academy which was Blur, Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr, what a line up a deafening night out that was.

Always remember seeing Inspiral Carpets in Subterrania in Ladbroke Grove as I had a Rangers top on, me and mates teamed up with another QPR fan to nick all the backstage beer and we handed it out to the crowd, he got thrown out but I managed to escape.

Chemical Brothers just after they changed their name from Dust Brothers at Leeds. Left field at Brixton around the same time which was the loudest gig I’ve ever been to.

That Lyn Collins gig was excellent, was just talking about it to someone recently. Pee Wee Ellis and Fred Wesley were also playing with her. She passed away a few years after, but her voice was incredible that night.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:58 - Oct 12 with 4819 viewsMick_S

Maze - Hammersmith Odeon 1985. Happy feelings. Alright Disco?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:04 - Oct 12 with 4793 viewssupahoopsa

The Jam, Brighton, December 1982. Their very last gig.
Although saying that the atmosphere was pretty hostile as there were many there angry at the split

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:10 - Oct 12 with 4771 viewsizlingtonhoop

Saw Seventeen supporting the Stray Cats at the Marquee Wardour Street. They were a bit shìt. Became the Alarm. Got worse.

The Stray Cats on the other hand...

🙃
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:12 - Oct 12 with 4763 viewsPaddyhoops

The who at Wembley arena in the early 2000s
Awesome.
The Smiths gig at the SFX in Dublin in 1984 was pretty
Special.
We went out that night and had to a stitch to wear!!
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:13 - Oct 12 with 4750 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:37 - Oct 12 by queensparker

"The Rollercoaster tour in 1991 at Brixton Academy which was Blur, Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr, what a line up a deafening night out that was."

I was at that one, queensparker.

Three great bands and Dinosaur Jr, who were as stoned as any band I've ever seen!

My best gig was The Cure touring 'Disintegration' in 1989 at Wembley Arena. Four hours of bliss.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:15 - Oct 12 with 4726 viewsizlingtonhoop

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:04 - Oct 12 by supahoopsa

The Jam, Brighton, December 1982. Their very last gig.
Although saying that the atmosphere was pretty hostile as there were many there angry at the split

Saw the night before. Bingley Hall, Birmingham. Was excellent. Although Bruce was so angry after the final encore, he knocked the mic stand over.

Was a great gig, in all seriousness, great atmosphere as I remember. 39 years gone by....
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:16 - Oct 12 with 4724 viewsNed_Kennedys

Guns N Roses at Hammy Odeon before they exploded, supported by Faster Pussycat and The Quireboys. Remember they came back for an encore about half an hour after they’d finished their set: the place was virtually empty.

Best stadium gig: Rammstein @ Milton Keynes a few years back. Amazing live band, ridiculous pyrotechnics.

Best small gig: Big Daddy Kane at a small club in Norwich about 4 years ago, fantastic to hear him still on top of his game.

Last gig seen was The Dead South @ Brixton 20 months ago: next gig is Eagles of Death Metal @ Camden Roundhouse I’m December, can’t wait.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:17 - Oct 12 with 4717 viewsradfords

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:12 - Oct 12 by Paddyhoops

The who at Wembley arena in the early 2000s
Awesome.
The Smiths gig at the SFX in Dublin in 1984 was pretty
Special.
We went out that night and had to a stitch to wear!!

The High Numbers at the Oldfield or The Who at the Goldhawk would take some beating.
Motown covers at the first and he start of something big at the second.

Small venues packed crowds trying to dance without starting a fight.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:32 - Oct 12 with 4679 viewsted_hendrix

Rolling Stones-Wembley & Twickenham.

ZZ Top Brixton Academy. (tightest live band I've ever seen)

Free Bracknell Sport Center 70's just before Paul Kossoff OD'd.

The Dubliners were superb at Southampton and Guildford.

Hawkwind (my god) I've never seen so much drug taking at a gig before or since, Reading top rank 70's. a WTF of a night.

Ten Years After at Reading Uni 70's. (335).

AC/DC at Wembley.

Ray Davis solo tour at the Anvil Basingstoke, he was just brilliant and by far England's best lyricist, nobody comes close or ever will do.

Velvet Revolver were a disappointment, I only went to see Slash.

Joe Walsh and a cast of thousands at the 'Strat Pack' at Wembley, I'd safely say Dave Gilmour was the best that night, the gig was in honour of the Fender Stratocaster.

Peter Green at Basingstoke, glad I got to see the great Man but he wasn't 'on It' anymore and didnt quite cut it that night which was sad, did get to shake his hand after the gig.

To few to mention.

Raspberry Blonde.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:54 - Oct 12 with 4606 viewsEsox_Lucius

Rolling Stones at Hyde Park. The Who at Hammersmith Palais and Pink Floyd debuting The Wall at Earls Court are probably my most memorable. Watching the Pink Fairies/ Hawkwind/ Pinkwind around the small venues in London were great times, I even got to meet David Jones before he changed his last name to Bowie.
Tithe Farmhouse was a great place for up & coming bands, I saw Kilburn & The High Roads, Vinegar Joe and Dr Feelgood there. Heavy Metal Kids at Chertsey Winning Post when Gary Holton got punched unconscious doing a stage dive. Seeing some huge names like Led Zep, King Crimson and so many others playing the Farx at the back of the Northcote Arms seems like a surreal dream fifty plus years on.

The grass is always greener.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:59 - Oct 12 with 4576 viewsHantsR

Greatest band - Pink Floyd Rainbow, Finsbury Park

Smallest gig - Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band SE London tech
Geno Washington- Ram Jam Club Brixton
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 23:02 - Oct 12 with 4565 viewsloftboy

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:32 - Oct 12 by ted_hendrix

Rolling Stones-Wembley & Twickenham.

ZZ Top Brixton Academy. (tightest live band I've ever seen)

Free Bracknell Sport Center 70's just before Paul Kossoff OD'd.

The Dubliners were superb at Southampton and Guildford.

Hawkwind (my god) I've never seen so much drug taking at a gig before or since, Reading top rank 70's. a WTF of a night.

Ten Years After at Reading Uni 70's. (335).

AC/DC at Wembley.

Ray Davis solo tour at the Anvil Basingstoke, he was just brilliant and by far England's best lyricist, nobody comes close or ever will do.

Velvet Revolver were a disappointment, I only went to see Slash.

Joe Walsh and a cast of thousands at the 'Strat Pack' at Wembley, I'd safely say Dave Gilmour was the best that night, the gig was in honour of the Fender Stratocaster.

Peter Green at Basingstoke, glad I got to see the great Man but he wasn't 'on It' anymore and didnt quite cut it that night which was sad, did get to shake his hand after the gig.

To few to mention.

Raspberry Blonde.

The council banned concerts at the sports centre in Bracknell after the specials and madness played there, skins turned up from slough and wrecked the place. Was a shame as they used to get some decent bands playing there.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 23:03 - Oct 12 with 4561 viewsQPRSteve

Saw Gary Moore deputising for the ill Eric Bell in Thin Lizzy at a packed out Marquee. Fantastic experience.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 23:08 - Oct 12 with 4540 viewstoboboly

Ocean Colour Scene
Kasabian
White Lies
Shed 7

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 23:09 - Oct 12 with 4536 viewscolinallcars

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 22:54 - Oct 12 by Esox_Lucius

Rolling Stones at Hyde Park. The Who at Hammersmith Palais and Pink Floyd debuting The Wall at Earls Court are probably my most memorable. Watching the Pink Fairies/ Hawkwind/ Pinkwind around the small venues in London were great times, I even got to meet David Jones before he changed his last name to Bowie.
Tithe Farmhouse was a great place for up & coming bands, I saw Kilburn & The High Roads, Vinegar Joe and Dr Feelgood there. Heavy Metal Kids at Chertsey Winning Post when Gary Holton got punched unconscious doing a stage dive. Seeing some huge names like Led Zep, King Crimson and so many others playing the Farx at the back of the Northcote Arms seems like a surreal dream fifty plus years on.

I used to go to Farx years ago and get the 105 bus back to the Bush. I don't think I ever made it all the way back without getting off the bus somewhere along the Western Avenue for a leak and either walking the rest of the way or waiting for the next 105. The bus took a very circuitous route.
Some well known bands but I liked a little band called The Spirit Of John Morgan.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 23:36 - Oct 12 with 4499 viewssilverbirch

I saw Bowie play in a theatre in Liverpool in ‘97. Brilliant!
Honourable mention to Suede who were great in Cardiff a couple of years ago and to Goldblade who did a Christmas gig in the legendary TJ’s in Newport in the late 90s.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 23:54 - Oct 12 with 4470 viewsSK_hoops

Saw Bombay Bicycle club play their 3rd ever gig at a youth club in Brighton.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 23:54 - Oct 12 with 4469 viewsSydneyRs

Saw Oasis here in Sydney in the early 2000s. They were meant to tour a few years earlier, but it got cancelled (bust up between the brothers I think, shock!) so by the time they did come interest here (largely based on Wonderwall) was not what it had been.

The result was that, instead of playing a large venue as they would have done for the original tour, they played the Enmore Theatre (down the road from where I lived at the time, touch) which has a capacity of about 2,000, like a smaller Brixton Academy. The crowd was mostly British and the band were incredible, one of those nights where everyone sang every word to every song, incredible atmosphere made all the better by the small venue.

James at Alton Towers in the early 90s is also a standout and Carter USM gigs at Brixton in those days were immense occasions, kind of like being amidst the very best football match terrace style atmosphere.
Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 00:06 - Oct 13 with 4446 viewsSydneyRs

Greatest band/artist you’ve seen play live… on 21:20 - Oct 12 by gobbles

Saw Muse and Coldplay as support acts at the Astoria in 2000.
Once saw The La's play the Marquee.
Saw Ed Sheeran a a little tent at Reading Festival
Once saw Kenny G play a private set with the house band at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo after he had played some arena in the city that day (he was very good!)

Best gig I ever saw was The Waterboys at Portsmouth in around 1989

Saw Coldplay in their early days, not long after their first album and well before they became a stadium band. I wasn't sure what to expect but they were superb and Chris Martin's stage presence was obvious as soon as he walked on.

Others I've seen and really enjoyed include the Specials, Madness, Prodigy, Stone Roses, The Kinks, Sex Pistols, Paul Weller, Status Quo, Dire Straits, Madonna (1987, when she was still hot!), The Pogues (who were sensational).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024