Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The actual Fulham thread 14:30 - Oct 15 with 33664 viewsMyke

So going for three in a row here, but I suspect my biggest challenge yet. I'm going for a thrill -a-minute 2-2 draw, with us being ahead, behind and finally a last-minute equaliser from Willock. Probably be 0-0 so! Austin also to score.
The actual Fulham thread on 17:42 - Oct 16 with 2168 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The actual Fulham thread on 17:35 - Oct 16 by Northolt_Rs

Which is why he was on a free…..

Ah that ol' chestnut. Should we sign this chap then?

If the QPR budget means that compromises need to be made then I'd rather Kakay continue his education then sign a liability, regardless of the fee.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 17:50]
The actual Fulham thread on 17:45 - Oct 16 with 2149 viewsthemodfather

what is it and qpr getting stuffed whenever we play near water? bad day, again, by the river....oh well dust off and rebuild
The actual Fulham thread on 17:52 - Oct 16 with 2080 viewsstainrods_elbow

The actual Fulham thread on 17:23 - Oct 16 by traininvain

How much is Charlie paid then? And who would you start between him and Dykes if both fully fit?

Edit. I think the elephant in the room here is that Austin’s 32 years old and not the player he once was. That’s not to say that he can’t contribute as demonstrated vs Everton a few weeks ago. But personally I wouldn’t have him starting ahead of Dykes if both fit (obviously tricky today as Dykes played a lot for Scotland).
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 17:28]

The so-called 'elephant in the room' is actually a red herring. Since when is 32 any kind of age for a striker, especially in the Championship? Jamie Vardy is 34 and is 2nd top scorer in the Prem right now. How come? Because he's lean, mean and keeps himself razor- sharp. By contrast, despite the odd moment this season, and a quality showing in the cup vs Everton, I'm sorry to say Chaz's goose looks half-cooked.

If Warbuton can't get both him and Gray doing it for the team, it's going to be a real brake on our fortunes, as we can't load everything on the shoulders of Dykes, Willock and Chair.
Mind you, as only Peterborough have conceded more as of tnoight's table, the coaching team have a choice as to where they start to earn their money if we've any pretensions of the top six.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The actual Fulham thread on 17:53 - Oct 16 with 2079 viewstraininvain

The actual Fulham thread on 17:38 - Oct 16 by Benny_the_Ball

With all due respect, don't be a fool just for the sake of it. You know full well he's one of the top earners at the club.

I'm not expecting the Charlie Austin of 6 years ago but the Everton match showed that he can perform when he can be arsed. We need to see more of that on a consistent basis. Moreover, it's late October and he's still overweight and unfit. Today he was blowing out of his backside after 60 minutes. Sorry but that's just not good enough at this level.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 17:44]

I genuinely don’t have any idea what Austin’s earning and nor do you by the sounds of it. He might well be one of the top earners at the club but personally I’d hope the club are a bit more sensible given his age, fitness record etc.

And I’m not sure if Austin’s unfit or age has caught up with him. His record at WBA suggests it might be the latter but who knows. I doubt Warburton would have him starting if he wasn’t fit or overweight as you suggest and I think it’s harsh to accuse him of not being committed given his track record at the club.

Ultimately, how many chances did we actually create today and how many fell to Austin? The only one I can remember is a very long range shot (out of frustration). Willock (first half) and Mccallum ( second half) both guilty of a poor final ball after they’d got into good positions.

Austin’s always relied on good service and didn’t get a sniff today due to a combination of our lack of creativity, poor final ball and Fulham defending well.

But I understand that some people need a scapegoat after we lose to cope emotionally so I’ll leave it here. Have a good evening!
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 17:55]
The actual Fulham thread on 17:55 - Oct 16 with 2054 viewsClive_Anderson

Are we ever going to beat these nobends?

Must be years since we've done them over....Tarbs in the Premier League?
The actual Fulham thread on 18:00 - Oct 16 with 2029 viewsWatford_Ranger

The actual Fulham thread on 17:55 - Oct 16 by Clive_Anderson

Are we ever going to beat these nobends?

Must be years since we've done them over....Tarbs in the Premier League?

The rather miraculous 2-1 at theirs when Sylla got the winner.

Think it’s 12 defeats from 17 against them this century.
The actual Fulham thread on 18:03 - Oct 16 with 1999 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The actual Fulham thread on 17:53 - Oct 16 by traininvain

I genuinely don’t have any idea what Austin’s earning and nor do you by the sounds of it. He might well be one of the top earners at the club but personally I’d hope the club are a bit more sensible given his age, fitness record etc.

And I’m not sure if Austin’s unfit or age has caught up with him. His record at WBA suggests it might be the latter but who knows. I doubt Warburton would have him starting if he wasn’t fit or overweight as you suggest and I think it’s harsh to accuse him of not being committed given his track record at the club.

Ultimately, how many chances did we actually create today and how many fell to Austin? The only one I can remember is a very long range shot (out of frustration). Willock (first half) and Mccallum ( second half) both guilty of a poor final ball after they’d got into good positions.

Austin’s always relied on good service and didn’t get a sniff today due to a combination of our lack of creativity, poor final ball and Fulham defending well.

But I understand that some people need a scapegoat after we lose to cope emotionally so I’ll leave it here. Have a good evening!
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 17:55]

You had me at "I genuinely don't have any idea".
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 18:12]
The actual Fulham thread on 18:07 - Oct 16 with 1975 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The actual Fulham thread on 18:03 - Oct 16 by Benny_the_Ball

You had me at "I genuinely don't have any idea".
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 18:12]

Benny,

I've agreed with a few of your posts this evening and upvoted a couple of very good ones, but there's no need for shouting people down really.

Traininvain* is right - none of us have any idea on wages.

* Need to ask - what does that poster name mean?
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 18:08]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

The actual Fulham thread on 18:07 - Oct 16 with 1972 viewsMyke

The actual Fulham thread on 15:18 - Oct 16 by davman

I don't get the negatives for Chair on this thread today; I thought he was one of our better players. As for "being too deep", he had to as he was pulled back into CM alongside Johansson once ball went off.

The anonymous one today was Andre Gray - isolated even with a strike partner. Still struggling to see how he fits in with this squad of players - not all his fault, but if he playing and making those runs, we have to look for them; we don't.

Should have taken Austin off for Amos, stuck him in alongside JoJo and put Willock up alongside Dykes if you really HAVE to go two up front (which I am not convinced).

McCallum looked OK, but De Wijs was (shockingly) bullied by Mitrovic all afternoon.

Not a good day.

Gosh Davman, I just cannot see how you would think Chair played well today, I honestly can't think of one meaningful contribution he made in the whole game. Don't get me wrong, he is a huge talent and I am a massive fan, but that is why I feel he did nothing noteworthy today. Never mind the price tags of the Fulham players, on his day, Chair is every bit as talented (if not more so) than any of them, he just didn't show it today. Not his fault imo, he shouldn't have played at all after all the travelling/playing for Morocco.

I agree that Gray was poor again, to be honest today he didn't even seem to be making many of his trademark runs in behind. If he has decided there is no point in making them because he is never found and ends up offside, then we have a problem that needs to be addressed on the training ground (and should have been over the past fortnight) Dykes magnificent goal was a typical Gray goal, but we are just not seeing that level of incision from him, and with Austin so far off the pace, its a concern.

Not just De Wijs bullied by the Serbian, Dickie very much was so for the first goal. Great strikers goal (both of them were to be fair), but both indicated why our defenders are not in the prem. Indeed the third also showed why Burnely were prepared to let Dunne go, really poor positional sense.
Look, it's just one game, probably the first time we have not been competitive all season, so no need to worry too much. I'm sure Fulham fans didn't see Blackpool or Coventry results coming either .Hopefully get back on track with the next two. But we do need to find a way of tightening up at the back,
The actual Fulham thread on 18:10 - Oct 16 with 1939 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The actual Fulham thread on 18:07 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Benny,

I've agreed with a few of your posts this evening and upvoted a couple of very good ones, but there's no need for shouting people down really.

Traininvain* is right - none of us have any idea on wages.

* Need to ask - what does that poster name mean?
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 18:08]

Bless you Brian, I'm not. It's a quote from the film 'Jerry Maguire'. Nevertheless in the interests of brotherhood I've edited the post.

And we do have an idea on wages. Somewhat disingenuous and convenient to suggest otherwise.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 18:13]
The actual Fulham thread on 18:13 - Oct 16 with 1929 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't think Chair played to his usual high standard, but I would also say that he was one of our better players, albeit the bar was lower than normal today.

He used the ball well, set up a few moves, was pressed into coming deeper in the second half, did that, linked the play well and hardly ever lost possession.

I'd give him a solid 6.5/10. And I would say that would put him in the top 3 or 4.

The actual Fulham thread on 18:16 - Oct 16 with 1911 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The actual Fulham thread on 18:10 - Oct 16 by Benny_the_Ball

Bless you Brian, I'm not. It's a quote from the film 'Jerry Maguire'. Nevertheless in the interests of brotherhood I've edited the post.

And we do have an idea on wages. Somewhat disingenuous and convenient to suggest otherwise.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 18:13]

Sorry if I missed the joke, Benny.

I genuinely don't have a clue on his wages. I was amazed he joined us on a permanent, and was undecided on the wisdom of it, but I'd be even more amazed if we broke our wage structure for anyone.

The actual Fulham thread on 18:22 - Oct 16 with 1871 views1JD

The actual Fulham thread on 18:13 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't think Chair played to his usual high standard, but I would also say that he was one of our better players, albeit the bar was lower than normal today.

He used the ball well, set up a few moves, was pressed into coming deeper in the second half, did that, linked the play well and hardly ever lost possession.

I'd give him a solid 6.5/10. And I would say that would put him in the top 3 or 4.

Good summary Brian.
The actual Fulham thread on 18:27 - Oct 16 with 1838 viewsPaddyhoops

The actual Fulham thread on 16:24 - Oct 16 by itsbiga

My 50th today.
Just woke up to the result.
Hope the day gets better from here!

Happy birthday mate.
The actual Fulham thread on 18:31 - Oct 16 with 1813 viewsjoe90

Didn’t think we’d win today, so not surprised we lost but surprised we got rolled over.

We know the squad has limitations and we need to adjust expectations accordingly.
The actual Fulham thread on 18:31 - Oct 16 with 1809 viewsdavman

The actual Fulham thread on 18:07 - Oct 16 by Myke

Gosh Davman, I just cannot see how you would think Chair played well today, I honestly can't think of one meaningful contribution he made in the whole game. Don't get me wrong, he is a huge talent and I am a massive fan, but that is why I feel he did nothing noteworthy today. Never mind the price tags of the Fulham players, on his day, Chair is every bit as talented (if not more so) than any of them, he just didn't show it today. Not his fault imo, he shouldn't have played at all after all the travelling/playing for Morocco.

I agree that Gray was poor again, to be honest today he didn't even seem to be making many of his trademark runs in behind. If he has decided there is no point in making them because he is never found and ends up offside, then we have a problem that needs to be addressed on the training ground (and should have been over the past fortnight) Dykes magnificent goal was a typical Gray goal, but we are just not seeing that level of incision from him, and with Austin so far off the pace, its a concern.

Not just De Wijs bullied by the Serbian, Dickie very much was so for the first goal. Great strikers goal (both of them were to be fair), but both indicated why our defenders are not in the prem. Indeed the third also showed why Burnely were prepared to let Dunne go, really poor positional sense.
Look, it's just one game, probably the first time we have not been competitive all season, so no need to worry too much. I'm sure Fulham fans didn't see Blackpool or Coventry results coming either .Hopefully get back on track with the next two. But we do need to find a way of tightening up at the back,

What Brian says, Myke - I stand by the opinion that Chair WAS one of our better players, but he didn't have much to compete against. A poor game by his Standards, but then Gray, Obubajo, Charlie, Dickie, De Wijs, Dunne, Ball and Johansen to name 8 were worse than him. IMO, Dieng, McCallum, Willock, Chair, Dykes and Barbet were the only ones with a modicum of credit today...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The actual Fulham thread on 18:34 - Oct 16 with 1800 viewsbosh67

Anyone know if Dozzell was injured? Wasn't in the squad today. I think he has a lot of potential.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The actual Fulham thread on 18:38 - Oct 16 with 1782 viewsRangers67

The actual Fulham thread on 14:38 - Oct 16 by GroveR

He wasn't the reason we lost but very poor today.

Toady ,! He isn’t very good any day
The actual Fulham thread on 18:39 - Oct 16 with 1782 viewsMyke

The actual Fulham thread on 18:13 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

One of the many things I love about the beautiful game is people's different viewpoints on the same game. I thought Chair was a complete passenger today.
While I have you Brian, you are much more of an expert on keepers than I am. Do you think Seny could have done better with Reid's goal? I know the ball ended up in the corner of the net, but when it passed him, it seemed in touching distance.
Before anyone thinks I'm bashing Seny again, I thought his double save in the first have was outstanding. Either of those go in and the game is over a lot earlier than it was. He also made a damn good save late on, even though I felt Moses was fouled in the build-up.
The actual Fulham thread on 18:48 - Oct 16 with 1749 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The actual Fulham thread on 18:27 - Oct 16 by Paddyhoops

Happy birthday mate.

Seconded.

Welcome to the club!

The actual Fulham thread on 19:00 - Oct 16 with 1711 viewsdistortR

The actual Fulham thread on 14:55 - Oct 16 by Antti_Heinola

I’m most interested in how bumming in the gob works. The verb to bum suggests anal sex, with the penis penetrating the anus. So applying it to the mouth seems tricky. It wouldnt be wrong, but is your metaphor that Fulham placed their entire bum into our collective mouth and sort of used their bum as a blunt, extremely wide penis, perhaps guffing down our throat? Or just that we were rogered in the mouth with the force of some extremely vigorous back door loving?

you've got a pm mate
The actual Fulham thread on 19:18 - Oct 16 with 1652 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The actual Fulham thread on 18:39 - Oct 16 by Myke

One of the many things I love about the beautiful game is people's different viewpoints on the same game. I thought Chair was a complete passenger today.
While I have you Brian, you are much more of an expert on keepers than I am. Do you think Seny could have done better with Reid's goal? I know the ball ended up in the corner of the net, but when it passed him, it seemed in touching distance.
Before anyone thinks I'm bashing Seny again, I thought his double save in the first have was outstanding. Either of those go in and the game is over a lot earlier than it was. He also made a damn good save late on, even though I felt Moses was fouled in the build-up.

"While I have you Brian...Do you think Seny could have done better with Reid's goal? I know the ball ended up in the corner of the net, but when it passed him, it seemed in touching distance"

I usually wait to see Rangers' extended coverage or full-match coverage to decide on this as we get more angles than in the Sky crash-bang-wallop coverage.

Initial thoughts (with a warning) having only analysed the highlights and live game stream:

1) Excellent double save. Positioning, footwork and reflexes all good.

2) Late save from the cut-in and shot showed superb reflexes

3) 1st Goal - will need to look again but when the cross went to the back post there's only Mitrovic on the back post and one player in the middle. No threat on the back post, no lob threat. So I was surprised that he didn't advance beyond 1 yard from the gl. Not sure he would have got it anyway (some goals are just goals) but good practice is important and the extended highlights with their various angles might give a clue (and a very good reason) as to why he didn't push out quicker and further and narrow the angle.

4) 2nd goal - No chance. Good goalkeeping but perfect header.

5) 3rd goal - Great through ball, Dieng's positioning is perfect in that moment, but when a great through ball splits a deep-lying defence from one side to the other (it's incredibly rare) it's hard to adjust your attitude and positioning as a keeper.

You have practically no time to leave your set-up position, move across, advance, and get into a new set-up position.

It's one of the hardest skills for a goalie. And we nearly always see the goalie react to the resultant shot by pushing off his 'far' foot (in this case his left). The ideal is that you get across, set-up, and push off your near foot, giving you a stronger and longer arc to the ball.

6) 4th goal - good goalkeeping no chance, obviously.

7) Still commanding and vocal.

8) Fulham's keeper was unconvincing, I thought, but will watch that too.

The actual Fulham thread on 19:30 - Oct 16 with 1597 viewsbosh67

Saw some media with Twitter idiots giving Seny dogs abuse. Ridiculous. Couldn't see he was at fault with any goal. I despair at the lack of loyalty and patience some so called fans have. He's the best keeper we have had in ages.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The actual Fulham thread on 19:48 - Oct 16 with 1545 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The actual Fulham thread on 19:30 - Oct 16 by bosh67

Saw some media with Twitter idiots giving Seny dogs abuse. Ridiculous. Couldn't see he was at fault with any goal. I despair at the lack of loyalty and patience some so called fans have. He's the best keeper we have had in ages.

Dead right Bosh.

He's going through a challenging patch at the moment, but he's an exceptional talent who's still learning. I loved that at half-time before Fulham came back out he could be seen discussing tactics with Jimmy Dunne (or possibly jelly babies, who knows?)

The actual Fulham thread on 20:39 - Oct 16 with 1439 viewsMyke

The actual Fulham thread on 19:18 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

"While I have you Brian...Do you think Seny could have done better with Reid's goal? I know the ball ended up in the corner of the net, but when it passed him, it seemed in touching distance"

I usually wait to see Rangers' extended coverage or full-match coverage to decide on this as we get more angles than in the Sky crash-bang-wallop coverage.

Initial thoughts (with a warning) having only analysed the highlights and live game stream:

1) Excellent double save. Positioning, footwork and reflexes all good.

2) Late save from the cut-in and shot showed superb reflexes

3) 1st Goal - will need to look again but when the cross went to the back post there's only Mitrovic on the back post and one player in the middle. No threat on the back post, no lob threat. So I was surprised that he didn't advance beyond 1 yard from the gl. Not sure he would have got it anyway (some goals are just goals) but good practice is important and the extended highlights with their various angles might give a clue (and a very good reason) as to why he didn't push out quicker and further and narrow the angle.

4) 2nd goal - No chance. Good goalkeeping but perfect header.

5) 3rd goal - Great through ball, Dieng's positioning is perfect in that moment, but when a great through ball splits a deep-lying defence from one side to the other (it's incredibly rare) it's hard to adjust your attitude and positioning as a keeper.

You have practically no time to leave your set-up position, move across, advance, and get into a new set-up position.

It's one of the hardest skills for a goalie. And we nearly always see the goalie react to the resultant shot by pushing off his 'far' foot (in this case his left). The ideal is that you get across, set-up, and push off your near foot, giving you a stronger and longer arc to the ball.

6) 4th goal - good goalkeeping no chance, obviously.

7) Still commanding and vocal.

8) Fulham's keeper was unconvincing, I thought, but will watch that too.

Great initial analysis Brian, cheers. He got damn close to the second goal which was, as you say, a perfect header
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024