Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford 21:12 - Oct 16 with 7070 viewsMyke

Excellent second half performance. Such a pity they didn't give Chelsea a bloody nose.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 21:14]
Brentford on 11:20 - Oct 18 with 2160 viewsstowmarketrange

Brentford on 11:15 - Oct 18 by TheChef

Oh come on it's not been that bad this season!

I agree with the general sentiment of enjoying the competitiveness of the Championship compared to the Prem. BUT Brentford are showing what can be achieved by largely entrusting the group of players that got the team up and seeing what they can do, rather than splurging large amounts of cash on a whole load of overpaid players and upsetting the squad dynamics. Like what we and Fulham did.

I meant getting beaten by the top teams rather than struggling to survive.
Brentford on 11:51 - Oct 18 with 2126 viewsWestonsuperR

Surely we want Chelsea to lose every match, even if Brentford?

Annoyingly that Brentford are doing so well but credit where credit it due.
Brentford on 12:31 - Oct 18 with 2076 viewsSydneyRs

I agree with the general sentiment of enjoying the competitiveness of the Championship compared to the Prem. BUT Brentford are showing what can be achieved by largely entrusting the group of players that got the team up and seeing what they can do, rather than splurging large amounts of cash on a whole load of overpaid players and upsetting the squad dynamics. Like what we and Fulham did.

Although Fulham did have a very long stint up there before their more recent promotions.
Brentford on 12:45 - Oct 18 with 2066 viewsJuzzie

The only thing that's annoyed me about Brentford over the last few years is the fact they kept beating us all the time but surely that's our problem really.
Now we're not in the same division for the foreseeable we can have a bit of a respite from that but at least we have Fulham (11 wins against us out of the last 15) to carry that baton!

I live in a Brentford area and the local boys youth football club is run by Brentford ST'ers and they're actually a good bunch of people and you can have a proper chat with them rather than your modern day acca ladbrokes lads who get together once every few weeks with beer and pizza to watch the CL on TV and spout all over social media like they know what they talking about (which they don't), and a few of the kids wear Brentford shirts (countered by my lad with his QPR shirt) which I have more respect for than the ones who wear Ronaldo shirts irrespective of which club he plays for.

Frank is a bit of a weirdo though! He thought they were the better team against Chelsea (not for the first 70 mins they weren't) and said 9 times out of 10 they would beat Chelsea. Hmmmmmm....... I'm not sure if it's wry humour or delusion.

I know there is still a long way to go but if they carry on as they are they're not going down. When they won the PL no one thought Leicester would keep winning but they did. Can Brentford be a 'Leicester-lite' and just keep getting the results to keep them in a good position or will they run out of puff second half of the season? It'll be intriguing to see.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 13:58]
Brentford on 12:50 - Oct 18 with 2039 viewsMick_S

Brentford on 12:45 - Oct 18 by Juzzie

The only thing that's annoyed me about Brentford over the last few years is the fact they kept beating us all the time but surely that's our problem really.
Now we're not in the same division for the foreseeable we can have a bit of a respite from that but at least we have Fulham (11 wins against us out of the last 15) to carry that baton!

I live in a Brentford area and the local boys youth football club is run by Brentford ST'ers and they're actually a good bunch of people and you can have a proper chat with them rather than your modern day acca ladbrokes lads who get together once every few weeks with beer and pizza to watch the CL on TV and spout all over social media like they know what they talking about (which they don't), and a few of the kids wear Brentford shirts (countered by my lad with his QPR shirt) which I have more respect for than the ones who wear Ronaldo shirts irrespective of which club he plays for.

Frank is a bit of a weirdo though! He thought they were the better team against Chelsea (not for the first 70 mins they weren't) and said 9 times out of 10 they would beat Chelsea. Hmmmmmm....... I'm not sure if it's wry humour or delusion.

I know there is still a long way to go but if they carry on as they are they're not going down. When they won the PL no one thought Leicester would keep winning but they did. Can Brentford be a 'Leicester-lite' and just keep getting the results to keep them in a good position or will they run out of puff second half of the season? It'll be intriguing to see.

He actually said that 9 out of 10 thing? Is he nuts?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Brentford on 13:20 - Oct 18 with 1999 viewsjohnhoop

Brentford on 16:49 - Oct 17 by Hadders

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a w@nkfest and do you need tickets, or can you just turn up?
[Post edited 17 Oct 2021 16:54]

Nope, you don’t need tickets. They had a Brentford “W–nkfest” that was free to watch for anyone so inclined on Match of the Day 2 last night.
Brentford on 13:55 - Oct 18 with 1949 viewsJuzzie

Brentford on 12:50 - Oct 18 by Mick_S

He actually said that 9 out of 10 thing? Is he nuts?

I think it may have been in the context of that particular game and how it played out rather than just merely 10 separate games overall but the fact of the matter is they lost the game because they didn't take their chances, hit the woodwork or were denied by the goalie (all mainly in the last 20 mins) so it's still a strange thing to say because football isn't groundhog day. You get once chance, that's it.
Brentford on 14:01 - Oct 18 with 1932 viewsPinnerPaul

West Ham and Brighton also doing well on (relative to the you know who's) small budgets.
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford on 16:53 - Oct 18 with 1833 viewsWestbourneR

That Danish manager is smuggest human being alive. He's odious, dripping in self satisfaction.

I (and this was an odd sensation) found myself praying Chelsea didn't lose.

The simple truth is money has taken Chelsea out of our stratosphere, Brentford and Fulham are the competition for a club like ours. We don't need them cemented in the Prem.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Brentford on 18:09 - Oct 18 with 1746 viewsNewBee

Brentford on 12:45 - Oct 18 by Juzzie

Thank you for the kind words.

But regarding the "9 times out of 10" bit, I don't think TF was saying Bees would beat Chelsea 9 out of 10. Rather if you played that same game again, we would win it 9 times.

And even allowing for exagerration/bias etc, the stats back him up.

Bees had 17 shots to Chelsea's 5. 7 of Bees shots were on target, versus just 1 by Chelsea. Of the 7, 6 forced saves by Mendy, with a couple being top class , while the 7th was cleared off the line. And of the off-target shots, 2 Bees efforts hit the post. Meanwhile there were a few more blocks/scrambles in or around the Chelsea penalty area which don't exactly count as "shots", but which only needed a kindly bounce for Brentford.

All of which led to an Expected Goals (xG) tally of 1.88 to Chelsea's 0.28, which these guys labelled as "absurd":
https://sportsdias.com/the-absurd-xg-stat-that-reveals-just-how-lucky-chelsea-we

As for the overall game away from the mere stats, Chelsea were the better team in the 1st half, no doubt. But Bees stirred in the 2nd half, so that they were on top by the hour. From there on in they ratcheded up the pressure, so that by the end, Chelsea were hanging on desperately.

In fact, I can't remember when last I saw them just hoofing it out aimlessly and I reckon that had Bees got an equaliser with even a few minutes left, they'd have gone on to win.

But all that said, that's the way football goes sometimes - maybe we'll play a lot worse next time and still get a result.
Brentford on 18:12 - Oct 18 with 1753 viewsPaddyhoops

I'm not prejudiced...I hate both of them.
Two smug gits in charge of both which makes it even worse!!
Brentford on 18:40 - Oct 18 with 1716 viewsJuzzie

Brentford on 18:09 - Oct 18 by NewBee

Thank you for the kind words.

But regarding the "9 times out of 10" bit, I don't think TF was saying Bees would beat Chelsea 9 out of 10. Rather if you played that same game again, we would win it 9 times.

And even allowing for exagerration/bias etc, the stats back him up.

Bees had 17 shots to Chelsea's 5. 7 of Bees shots were on target, versus just 1 by Chelsea. Of the 7, 6 forced saves by Mendy, with a couple being top class , while the 7th was cleared off the line. And of the off-target shots, 2 Bees efforts hit the post. Meanwhile there were a few more blocks/scrambles in or around the Chelsea penalty area which don't exactly count as "shots", but which only needed a kindly bounce for Brentford.

All of which led to an Expected Goals (xG) tally of 1.88 to Chelsea's 0.28, which these guys labelled as "absurd":
https://sportsdias.com/the-absurd-xg-stat-that-reveals-just-how-lucky-chelsea-we

As for the overall game away from the mere stats, Chelsea were the better team in the 1st half, no doubt. But Bees stirred in the 2nd half, so that they were on top by the hour. From there on in they ratcheded up the pressure, so that by the end, Chelsea were hanging on desperately.

In fact, I can't remember when last I saw them just hoofing it out aimlessly and I reckon that had Bees got an equaliser with even a few minutes left, they'd have gone on to win.

But all that said, that's the way football goes sometimes - maybe we'll play a lot worse next time and still get a result.

Yes, i made further comment in regards to the context of the ‘9 out of 10’ further down from my original post.

As said, football isn’t groundhog day, you only get one chance. Every club can cite games they should have got something out of.

We beat Chelsea 1-0 at Loftus Road and Stamford Bridge nigh on a decade ago and on both occasions Chelsea probably should have won. But they didn’t. The 9 out of 10 analogy is pointless and is just deflection.
Brentford on 18:53 - Oct 18 with 1688 viewsNewBee

Brentford on 18:40 - Oct 18 by Juzzie

Yes, i made further comment in regards to the context of the ‘9 out of 10’ further down from my original post.

As said, football isn’t groundhog day, you only get one chance. Every club can cite games they should have got something out of.

We beat Chelsea 1-0 at Loftus Road and Stamford Bridge nigh on a decade ago and on both occasions Chelsea probably should have won. But they didn’t. The 9 out of 10 analogy is pointless and is just deflection.

What was he "deflecting" from?

The final score lol?

A manager only deflects when he's got something to hide. Which doesn't really apply here, since this was a performance to be proud of.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 18:54]
Brentford on 20:31 - Oct 18 with 1617 viewsJuzzie

Brentford on 18:53 - Oct 18 by NewBee

What was he "deflecting" from?

The final score lol?

A manager only deflects when he's got something to hide. Which doesn't really apply here, since this was a performance to be proud of.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 18:54]

Football, we’re told, is a results business. Irrespective of the calibre of the opposition the game play and stats from that last 20 minutes show something could have been gained from the game.
Brentford may have lost in a better manner than we did against Fulham but a loss is a loss and it’s especially tougher when a point could have been gained.

The PL is ruthless, there’s no such thing as an honourable defeat. Someone somewhere (board member, director, sponsor, advertiser etc) will be asking “Why didn’t we?”.
I reckon he’s getting his answer in first.

Too many honourable defeats and the pressure will start to build.

I think you’ll be fine this season though. The second album could be tougher.
Brentford on 21:20 - Oct 18 with 1592 viewsMyke

The whole '9 out of 10' thing is being massively over analysed here - probably because Frank said it. It is just a common phrase without scientific basis that we all use from time to time. I believe it was used than once on this very forum after the Bristol City game as in ' 9 times out of 10 we would have won the game 3 or 4 -1'. Frank clearly didn't mean that Brentford would beat Chelsea 9 times out of 10, rather that, on another day, one or even two of the chances they had would have gone in- very like how we felt after Bristol City.
Brentford on 21:31 - Oct 18 with 1564 viewsJuzzie

Brentford on 21:20 - Oct 18 by Myke

The whole '9 out of 10' thing is being massively over analysed here - probably because Frank said it. It is just a common phrase without scientific basis that we all use from time to time. I believe it was used than once on this very forum after the Bristol City game as in ' 9 times out of 10 we would have won the game 3 or 4 -1'. Frank clearly didn't mean that Brentford would beat Chelsea 9 times out of 10, rather that, on another day, one or even two of the chances they had would have gone in- very like how we felt after Bristol City.

Brentford on 00:33 - Oct 19 with 1501 viewsNewBee

Brentford on 20:31 - Oct 18 by Juzzie

Football, we’re told, is a results business. Irrespective of the calibre of the opposition the game play and stats from that last 20 minutes show something could have been gained from the game.
Brentford may have lost in a better manner than we did against Fulham but a loss is a loss and it’s especially tougher when a point could have been gained.

The PL is ruthless, there’s no such thing as an honourable defeat. Someone somewhere (board member, director, sponsor, advertiser etc) will be asking “Why didn’t we?”.
I reckon he’s getting his answer in first.

Too many honourable defeats and the pressure will start to build.

I think you’ll be fine this season though. The second album could be tougher.

"Football is a results business... ...The PL is ruthless, there’s no such thing as an honourable defeat. Someone somewhere (board member, director, sponsor, advertiser etc) will be asking “Why didn’t we?”.
I reckon he’s getting his answer in first. "

After TF took over (October 2018), he got 1 win and 1 draw in his first 10 games i.e. 4 points out of 30.

There was no question of the Owner sacking him, because the stats and analysis behind the results told a bigger story. Nor did they wield the axe when the Bees went on to finish 11th in the table, their lowest Championship finish since promotion.

Then in TF's first full season (2019/20) Bees took just 12 points from their first 11 games but again, there was no question of sacking him. A tremendous run from just before Xmas saw them looking good for automatic promotion, until losing their final 2 games to Stoke and Barnsley saw them finish 3rd, when 2 points would have been enough for 2nd place. And we all know what happened in the play-offs!

Even last season, when many neutral observers agreed that Bees were the "best" team in the division - and look how Norwich & Watford are doing this season - it still took the play-offs to clinch promotion.

The moral of the story being that BFC do not go by results, they go by performances, on the basis that if the performances are good (as backed up by the stats), then in time, the team will get whatever results it deserves.

Remember, too, that in season 2013/14, when (ahem) Mark Warburton took over mid-season and clinched automatic promotion from Lge One, followed up by an excellent 5th placed finish in the Championship, those highly impressive results weren't enough to save him when he and the Owner fell out over transfer policy.

I'm genuinely not saying this in a boastful manner, but BFC know that they simply don't have the resources to compete with other clubs on conventional terms, they need to do things differently.

And a key aspect of that is not being a sacking club. TF is as "bomb-proof" as any manager in the country.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 13:35]
Brentford on 07:17 - Oct 19 with 1416 viewsSK_hoops

Brentford on 00:33 - Oct 19 by NewBee

"Football is a results business... ...The PL is ruthless, there’s no such thing as an honourable defeat. Someone somewhere (board member, director, sponsor, advertiser etc) will be asking “Why didn’t we?”.

After TF took over (October 2018), he got 1 win and 1 draw in his first 10 games i.e. 4 points out of 30.

There was no question of the Owner sacking him, because the stats and analysis behind the results told a bigger story. Nor did they wield the axe when the Bees went on to finish 11th in the table, their lowest Championship finish since promotion.

Then in TF's first full season (2019/20) Bees took just 12 points from their first 11 games but again, there was no question of sacking him. A tremendous run from just before Xmas saw them looking good for automatic promotion, until losing their final 2 games to Stoke and Barnsley saw them finish 3rd, when 2 points would have been enough for 2nd place. And we all know what happened in the play-offs!

Even last season, when many neutral observers agreed that Bees were the "best" team in the division - and look how Norwich & Watford are doing this season - it still took the play-offs to clinch promotion.

The moral of the story being that BFC do not go by results, they go by performances, on the basis that if the performances are good (as backed up by the stats), then in time, the team will get whatever results it deserves.

Remember, too, that in season 2013/14, when (ahem) Mark Warburton took over mid-season and clinched automatic promotion from Lge One, followed up by an excellent 5th placed finish in the Championship, those highly impressive results weren't enough to save him when he and the Owner fell out over transfer policy.

I'm genuinely not saying this in a boastful manner, but BFC know that they simply don't have the resources to compete with other clubs on conventional terms, they need to do things differently.

And a key aspect of that is not being a sacking club. TF is as "bomb-proof" as any manager in the country.

Also known as the justice league.
Brentford on 13:41 - Oct 19 with 1277 viewsNewBee

Brentford on 07:17 - Oct 19 by SK_hoops

Also known as the justice league.

I consciously avoided using that term, since it comes across as "special pleading", or making excuses, even arrogant!

But I do know that our owner and DoF's are hugely influenced by it.
Brentford on 14:02 - Oct 19 with 1231 viewsHanwellHoopster

There's only one thing that really annoyed me about Brentford, and that was that Mbeumo didn't score. Put him in my fantasy team the week before last as his underlying stats are insane and he keeps hitting the post. He'll come good though.

Beyond that, good luck to them.
Brentford on 15:00 - Oct 19 with 1184 viewsNewBee

Brentford on 14:02 - Oct 19 by HanwellHoopster

There's only one thing that really annoyed me about Brentford, and that was that Mbeumo didn't score. Put him in my fantasy team the week before last as his underlying stats are insane and he keeps hitting the post. He'll come good though.

Beyond that, good luck to them.

Yep, Mbuemo has played 8 PL games this season, scoring twice but hitting the woodwork six times.

After a terrific first season at BFC, his form dipped notably last season (Covid, injury, secondseasonitis etc).

But he's really come back with a bang this season. I'm still not sure about his finishing - not a natural goalscorer, or merely unlucky recently?

Obviously I'm hoping it's the latter, for if he can add his share of goals to the rest of his game, he can be the next £30m+ player to leave the club.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:01]
Brentford on 15:20 - Oct 19 with 1179 viewsQPR_Jim

Brentford on 00:33 - Oct 19 by NewBee

I do wonder whether there will be a change to these policies under the spotlight of the Premier League. The money getting chucked at them now may make results more important, the need to do things differently not as true and perhaps fans expectations higher than when FFP was restricting things in the Championship.
Brentford on 16:18 - Oct 19 with 1133 viewsNewBee

Brentford on 15:20 - Oct 19 by QPR_Jim

I do wonder whether there will be a change to these policies under the spotlight of the Premier League. The money getting chucked at them now may make results more important, the need to do things differently not as true and perhaps fans expectations higher than when FFP was restricting things in the Championship.

Fair question.

But just because BFC aren't wedded to the old orthodoxies merely because everyone else is etc (eg Academy vs 'B' Team), I'm pretty sure they won't be equally wedded to their own present alternative way of doing things should they cease to work.

A good example is playing style. For the last 3 or 4 seasons in the Championship, Bees' preferred game was strictly possession-based, hoping to pass the ball through the opposition and into the goal. And it generally worked.

But this season they've accepted that if they try that against other teams who are quite simply better at it, they might receive compliments for their approach, but they'll also receive a good few wallopings.

So this time they'e clearly sought to mix it with a few long balls for the likes of Toney and Mbuemo to chase, most notably eg against Liverpool, who were never comfortable, whether ahead or behind.

Bees are also a taller team than ever before, meaning eg they can load the far post at throw-ins and corners with 4 or 5 big guys. (They now have two players with long throws, one right-handed and the other left-handed, meaning they can bomb them in from both sides and every angle.)

They've also accepted that the PL is much more physical than the Championship, not in the sense of opponents kicking lumps out of you, but in that opposing players are routinely faster, stronger and with greater stamina and conditioning etc.

Which is reflected in their recent transfer signings eg Frank "The Tank" Onyeka, or Ajer, a 6'5" CB from Celtic, who's also quick enough to play RB.

Ditto transfer policy. While in the Championship, they were spending £3-5m on players which they could sell for a tidy profit. But now they're in the PL, they've not gone daft by lashing out £20-25m on players in a desperate attempt to survive. Instead Onyeke cost £9m(?) and Ajer £12m. In other words, neither will bust the club should we go down, but both would still represent a significant upgrade at that level from the last time we were in the Championship.

But as for the increased pressure to get results etc, I've no doubt the owner is as keen as ever to go on improving, while still sticking to the Golden Rule that results follow performances, and not the other way round

"In Benham We Trust!"
Brentford on 19:10 - Oct 19 with 1031 viewssimmo

I don't know why this thread even exists here. Brentford blow enough smoke up their arses without needing us to do it.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Brentford on 20:10 - Oct 19 with 981 viewsJuzzie

Brentford on 15:20 - Oct 19 by QPR_Jim

This is what I was referring to when i said the PL is ruthless. If results start dipping no one will give a schit about pretty performances (though i much prefer good football than route-one shithousery). Shareholders, directors, investors, sponsors will start asking questions and maybe the fans too as panic sets in about the thought of relegation. Then people will start clamouring for signings to be made which will cost large amounts (all on exorbitant transfer fees, salaries and agents fees leaving little for anything else) and suddenly the money pit that is the PL becomes apparent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024