Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And all I ever knew - Report 23:33 - Oct 17 with 3161 viewsNorthernr

And all I ever knew - Report 17th Oct 2021 23:08
This season's blow-by-blow account of our regular shellacking by the Thames features four goals conceded, and stars Aleksander Mitrovic who you're closer to now than QPR got at any point of this Saturday breakfast debacle. 14

And all I ever knew - Report on 08:46 - Oct 18 with 2674 viewseastside_r

Perhaps because he had a pre-planned change of McCallum on the hour but I think MW got the subs wrong. That first half performance easily warranted a double change and I would have gone for Dykes for Austin and Amos for Ball.

We still may well have lost but would perhaps have given Johansen a fighting chance in midfield.

Agree the ref was worryingly one-eyed but that is not why we lost.
And all I ever knew - Report on 08:48 - Oct 18 with 2667 viewsAntti_Heinola

4 lucky goals.
It happens.

(someone help me)

Bare bones.

And all I ever knew - Report on 09:22 - Oct 18 with 2573 viewsTheChef

Thanks Clive - it really is quite amazing how poorly we do at Fulham (and even more bizarre how JFH is the only recent manager to get a win there!)

Shame that the De Wijs early reducer on Mitrovic didn't really have the desired effect - if anything it only fired him up!

I could kind of appreciate the gung-ho approach for the second half that got us the equaliser, but at that point the pragmatic choice was probably to get Amos on for Austin and firm up midfield. Instead we were wide open through the middle and Fulham made the most of it.

Disappointing of course, but it's the Championship so there's another game in a minute. It would be great to get back to winning ways tomorrow night, won't be easy though. We just need to try and keep in touch with the top six, we really need Field back in and hopefully once he is fully fit we can push on again.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

And all I ever knew - Report on 09:24 - Oct 18 with 2574 viewsQPR_Jim

On the ref, after Reed had fouled Dickie he seemed to allow Reed to shout at him, face as red as his hair and only stopped from getting in the ref's face by other players holding him back. So I'm not sure if he bottled his booking because he was scared of him or because he was useless.
And all I ever knew - Report on 10:17 - Oct 18 with 2430 viewsdaveB

Excellent report, completely agree on Amos, thought he should have started, quite why he didn’t come on was a mystery and part of why we fell apart, the idea of a one man midfield against Fulham was ridiculous. After we got to 1-1 he seemed the obvious choice to replace Mccallum and switch to a diamond midfield.

A pattern with all the games we've lost to them is how we start the game. That JFH one we started on the front foot, aggressive in the tackle and didn't just stand back and let them play.. Last visit here started fast pushed them back and unlucky to lose 2-1. Every other times we've tried to beat them by playing the same passing game and we've been battered as they are better at it than us. It's the same when we play Brentford as well.

Few moans from me. It’s clear there is a big problem defensively on our right, we are too easy to get in behind no matter who plays at right back. It’s not a coincidence that right back has been our weak link for 3 years. None of them were/are bad players but there seems to be no one in midfield sensing danger when the wing back flies forward and no one covers the big space left behind.

Aside from that we do seem to be a team that don’t adapt well during games. Saturday we had a corner in the first half, only 1-0 and we sent everyone forward bar Moses who was stood on the halfway line screaming for someone to come back as Fulham left 2 up both wide so he couldn’t mark both of them. Typically we took the corner short meaning those centre halves who went up may as well have not bothered.

Austin is getting stick now and I didn’t think he played well weekend but it might help if someone put a ball into the box for him to attack. I counted 4 times on Saturday we got the ball wide in a crossing position but rather than put the ball in and give Austin or later Dykes something to fight for we cut inside 3 or 4 more passes and Fulham were set up so that it was now far too late to be effective. It’s so frustrating, I like that we try and play passing football but sometimes It’s not illegal to have a shot or put a cross in, try and force a mistake especially when you are losing. Todd Kane with his 99 crosses hitting the first man was painful but at least made the opposition defend. It was all far too easy on Saturday

Also first half the playing out from the back was killing me, sideways passes across our box from one side to the other, 6/7 passes to move forward 10 yards before going back to the keeper and kicking into touch. Time and place for playing out from the back, when a good side are pressing you high up the pitch maybe put a ball down the line, get in their half, win a throw in or try and win a free kick though Austin. Manage the game and take away their momentum. It’s all reminiscent of this time last season trying to score the perfect goal and having no real sense of when or how to mix our game up. The second half of the season came about due to us managing games a lot better and not being afraid to go direct and put balls into the box. I’m not suggesting we rip everything up and start again but we can and need to do a lot better. Saturday was not a one off, this had been coming. Coventry should have put 4 past us 2 months ago.
And all I ever knew - Report on 10:25 - Oct 18 with 2408 viewsozexile

And all I ever knew - Report on 10:17 - Oct 18 by daveB

Excellent report, completely agree on Amos, thought he should have started, quite why he didn’t come on was a mystery and part of why we fell apart, the idea of a one man midfield against Fulham was ridiculous. After we got to 1-1 he seemed the obvious choice to replace Mccallum and switch to a diamond midfield.

A pattern with all the games we've lost to them is how we start the game. That JFH one we started on the front foot, aggressive in the tackle and didn't just stand back and let them play.. Last visit here started fast pushed them back and unlucky to lose 2-1. Every other times we've tried to beat them by playing the same passing game and we've been battered as they are better at it than us. It's the same when we play Brentford as well.

Few moans from me. It’s clear there is a big problem defensively on our right, we are too easy to get in behind no matter who plays at right back. It’s not a coincidence that right back has been our weak link for 3 years. None of them were/are bad players but there seems to be no one in midfield sensing danger when the wing back flies forward and no one covers the big space left behind.

Aside from that we do seem to be a team that don’t adapt well during games. Saturday we had a corner in the first half, only 1-0 and we sent everyone forward bar Moses who was stood on the halfway line screaming for someone to come back as Fulham left 2 up both wide so he couldn’t mark both of them. Typically we took the corner short meaning those centre halves who went up may as well have not bothered.

Austin is getting stick now and I didn’t think he played well weekend but it might help if someone put a ball into the box for him to attack. I counted 4 times on Saturday we got the ball wide in a crossing position but rather than put the ball in and give Austin or later Dykes something to fight for we cut inside 3 or 4 more passes and Fulham were set up so that it was now far too late to be effective. It’s so frustrating, I like that we try and play passing football but sometimes It’s not illegal to have a shot or put a cross in, try and force a mistake especially when you are losing. Todd Kane with his 99 crosses hitting the first man was painful but at least made the opposition defend. It was all far too easy on Saturday

Also first half the playing out from the back was killing me, sideways passes across our box from one side to the other, 6/7 passes to move forward 10 yards before going back to the keeper and kicking into touch. Time and place for playing out from the back, when a good side are pressing you high up the pitch maybe put a ball down the line, get in their half, win a throw in or try and win a free kick though Austin. Manage the game and take away their momentum. It’s all reminiscent of this time last season trying to score the perfect goal and having no real sense of when or how to mix our game up. The second half of the season came about due to us managing games a lot better and not being afraid to go direct and put balls into the box. I’m not suggesting we rip everything up and start again but we can and need to do a lot better. Saturday was not a one off, this had been coming. Coventry should have put 4 past us 2 months ago.

Agree with all of that.
And all I ever knew - Report on 10:41 - Oct 18 with 2362 viewsParkRoyalR

Great report + effort after that result and a long afternoon no doubt afterwards, few takeaways from that game for me as to why we were so insipid for all bar 20 minutes of the 90:

1) Dykes - really believe he is fundamental to how a Warburton team plays and without him we unable to get Chair into the game and play the ball in their half. Superb movement + finish for his goal.

2) Ball - I see some posters are saying he can't have been that bad as we were only 1 nil when he was on the pitch, not the case, that 1st Half was a car-crash and Ball was driving the car, could have been 4 nil down - if we can stay in and around the play-off places til we can get some pace into that CDM area, I'll be delighted.

3) Chair - non existent, maybe was'nt able to feed off Dykes, but either way, we need him in the game as key to retaining possession further up the pitch.

4) Austin - as someone else said should only be an impact player, brought on with Adomah for last 20-30 minutes if we are chasing a goal, to be effective he needs the team to be on the front-foot, not chasing scraps like Saturday.

5) Moses - just needs to sit back, calm down, and hold his defensive position more as the better teams are exploiting the space behind him too easily.

My starting 11 would have been Amos for Ball - Dykes for Austin - Dunne for DeWijs - as think Dunne would have handled Mitovic better, likewise Amos on Reed, and I'd be looking to get Bonne back in January, as believe he would benefit from Willock's early passing which he did'nt really get the benefit of last season, and can stretch defenses in a way I don't believe Austin and Gray can anymore.
And all I ever knew - Report on 12:09 - Oct 18 with 2172 viewsBazzeR

Don’t get some of the suggestions that Amos will suddenly become the M/F enforcer to replace Ball.

Amos certainly does not possess the type of physique or recent mental attitude to even be considered in that position.

IMO he’s a busy box to box player capable of scoring goals and would benefit played alongside both Stef and Field/Ball
Login to get fewer ads

And all I ever knew - Report on 12:50 - Oct 18 with 2066 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

And all I ever knew - Report on 12:09 - Oct 18 by BazzeR

Don’t get some of the suggestions that Amos will suddenly become the M/F enforcer to replace Ball.

Amos certainly does not possess the type of physique or recent mental attitude to even be considered in that position.

IMO he’s a busy box to box player capable of scoring goals and would benefit played alongside both Stef and Field/Ball

Have to agree. Amos was definitely another option to bring on but most likely wouldn’t have made a difference to the outcome. They probably would have just found another way to beat us. I’m sure he’ll feature more in the upcoming matches.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

And all I ever knew - Report on 13:16 - Oct 18 with 2010 viewsdaveB

And all I ever knew - Report on 12:09 - Oct 18 by BazzeR

I don't think he'll be an enforcer but his main strength is pressing the ball and winning it back and we lacked that sort of energy in midfield at the weekend. We may well have still lost with him in the side but it seemed the ideal game for him
And all I ever knew - Report on 13:24 - Oct 18 with 1980 viewsTheChef

And all I ever knew - Report on 13:16 - Oct 18 by daveB

I don't think he'll be an enforcer but his main strength is pressing the ball and winning it back and we lacked that sort of energy in midfield at the weekend. We may well have still lost with him in the side but it seemed the ideal game for him

Well with Johansen suspended tomorrow night maybe he will get a start, fitness permitting...

Either that or it will be Ball and Dozzell.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

And all I ever knew - Report on 13:33 - Oct 18 with 1946 viewsBazzeR

The problem was Dave,Fulham out numbered us in M/F and there were too many fires to put out.

Amos has a good engine and will press opponents but will never win many tackles
And all I ever knew - Report on 14:09 - Oct 18 with 1843 viewsdaveB

And all I ever knew - Report on 13:33 - Oct 18 by BazzeR

The problem was Dave,Fulham out numbered us in M/F and there were too many fires to put out.

Amos has a good engine and will press opponents but will never win many tackles

at the very least he would have been an extra body in there to prevent being outnumbered
And all I ever knew - Report on 14:56 - Oct 18 with 1730 viewsBazzeR

And all I ever knew - Report on 14:09 - Oct 18 by daveB

at the very least he would have been an extra body in there to prevent being outnumbered

My original point is Amos is not a direct replacement for a combative player like Ball.

As for Amos coming on in M/F as sub instead of Dykes,Gray or Dunne is another matter.
And all I ever knew - Report on 15:40 - Oct 18 with 1638 viewsBostonR

Of all the summer signings Moses is the one most outsiders flagged as being not worth it. He looks athletic, but it stops there. Poor defensively, consistently out of position and useless with the ball. Not Championship material and he needs to be replaced pretty quickly.
And all I ever knew - Report on 19:20 - Oct 18 with 1315 viewsthehat

And all I ever knew - Report on 10:17 - Oct 18 by daveB

Perfect summary - Agree with all of that!
And all I ever knew - Report on 20:47 - Oct 18 with 1214 viewsManinBlack

I noticed on Saturday evening how Sky mentioned that Fulham have won 11 of the last 15 meetings so a pretty depressing statistic. We haven't been much better against them at home but certainly at the Cottage we regularly let 3 in on average, same as when we go to Brentford.

I accept that Fulham have a better team and the parachute money allows them to pay Premier league wages but we could at least have got stuck in like an underdog in a cup tie. Watching the game on the recording today it was another very polite energy saving performance against Fulham where we make it look like a casual practice match. We just never seem motivated against them or Brentford when we visit them. There seems to be an air of let's get this over and done with like a Redknapp bonus away game.

The point about pace is a good one because Premier league teams play with pace so if we do go up as play off winners our lack of pace could see us relegated with a record low Premier league points total.

As entertaining as this league is, it is getting predictable in that the yo yo clubs and their bi annual relegation payments, just make them too good. Right now it seems that the auto places are going to go to two from Norwich, West Brom, Watford and Fulham every season with maybe Bournemouth winning the play offs. It is very tough for the rest of us counting the pennies.
And all I ever knew - Report on 23:44 - Oct 18 with 1056 viewsSydneyRs

And all I ever knew - Report on 12:50 - Oct 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

Have to agree. Amos was definitely another option to bring on but most likely wouldn’t have made a difference to the outcome. They probably would have just found another way to beat us. I’m sure he’ll feature more in the upcoming matches.

Also Amos is only just back from a long term injury so I'm sure they are managing he reintroduction very carefully.
And all I ever knew - Report on 06:42 - Oct 19 with 947 viewstraininvain

And all I ever knew - Report on 15:40 - Oct 18 by BostonR

Of all the summer signings Moses is the one most outsiders flagged as being not worth it. He looks athletic, but it stops there. Poor defensively, consistently out of position and useless with the ball. Not Championship material and he needs to be replaced pretty quickly.

People said the same about Wallace and Dykes this time last season. We don’t often make signings that hit the ground running and that’s a product of the type of signings we need to make due to our limited transfer budget.

It might not work out with Moses but we need to give him a bit more time and trust Warburton who has a decent track record of improving players.
And all I ever knew - Report on 09:21 - Oct 19 with 876 viewsRangers67

And all I ever knew - Report on 15:40 - Oct 18 by BostonR

Agree 100%. He is not up to it and never will be. At the moment he is doing a very good impression of Todd Kane. Apart from that I can,t accept us going down to another lame defeat without showing any fight. The players need to know that any of the fans on here or who regularly attend matches would sweat blood to play for the Rs even just once. I didn,t see many of them busting a gut on Saturday. Not acceptable. Granted the referee was one eyed and definetly influenced the game to favour Fulham and Fulham are a good team who will be there at the end of the season, but not trying ! MW got it wrong tacticly on Sat so lets hope he has learnt. But please get us a new right back pronto.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024