Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austin 10:34 - Oct 18 with 10164 viewsNW5Hoop

Getting worried watching him now — it's the Austin some of us feared had come back to us in January rather than the one who played the second half of last season. Obviously, he was never fast, but watching him run now is painful — you're willing him to get to his destination before they call last orders and the night buses start running. And that's a problem: he's now so immobile that he can barely pressure defenders, he can't get into positions in open play, and he barely even drags defenders away to create space for others. And when he's on his own upfront, I mean, really, what's the point?

Like everyone else, I have enormous goodwill towards him. But he is not looking like a good signing at the moment and hasn't all season. I hope it picks up, and I don't blame the club for signing him based on the second half of last season. But this will not have been a low-wage piece of business, and I can't help thinking the money might have been used elsewhere.
Austin on 16:46 - Oct 19 with 2338 viewsdaveB

Austin on 15:01 - Oct 19 by ParkRoyalR

Minimum expectation of a professional footballer is that they are 'fit for service / work'.

Gray 'shanked' a cross near the away late on against Fulham which seemed to me due to fatigue / lack of fitness - could be wrong as had only played 20 minutes - similarly might be why Austin seems to be snatching his shots / shooting too early in recent games.

I got Wallace wrong as didnt think he could get his fitness up to the levels he has where he can play a full 90, hope to be wrong on both Austin and Gray, but think their current levels of fitness are nowhere near level required in Championship.

I'm not sure that cross was down to fitness, it was just a poor cross. Moses put in multiple poor crosses as well as did Wilock and Chair, was that due to fitness?

I'm not sure how so many on here seem to be such experts in how fit the players are.
Austin on 16:47 - Oct 19 with 2335 viewsdaveB

Austin on 16:39 - Oct 19 by joe90

Flo Lloyd-Hughes got a lot stick for her comments about Austin. Just saying.

She said he wasn't the right character for a team in a relegation battle which is what she was slated for, also that he wouldn't last the season as he was always injured which again didn't happen
Austin on 16:48 - Oct 19 with 2330 viewsdaveB

Austin on 16:30 - Oct 19 by francisbowles

Hadn't Gray played for Jamaica on Thursday. I was really surprised to see him on the bench.

He did and flew back to London on Friday
Austin on 18:18 - Oct 19 with 2180 viewstraininvain

Austin on 16:46 - Oct 19 by daveB

I'm not sure that cross was down to fitness, it was just a poor cross. Moses put in multiple poor crosses as well as did Wilock and Chair, was that due to fitness?

I'm not sure how so many on here seem to be such experts in how fit the players are.

The same people who are body language experts no doubt.
Austin on 18:48 - Oct 19 with 2113 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin on 16:46 - Oct 19 by daveB

Wait. Moses, put in a cross you say?
Austin on 18:51 - Oct 19 with 2103 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Good luck to Charlie and the boys tonight. I'd be more than happy for him to ram my words down my throat by coming on and scoring a brace.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 18:54]
Austin on 18:57 - Oct 19 with 2081 viewskernowhoop

Also, quite often, he goes back to help defend set-pieces.
Austin on 19:03 - Oct 19 with 2066 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin on 18:57 - Oct 19 by kernowhoop

Also, quite often, he goes back to help defend set-pieces.

So that's why we've conceded so many goals this season.
Login to get fewer ads

Austin on 11:38 - Oct 20 with 1875 viewssimmo

Little side note on Austin (and also Andre Gray) that probably wasn't picked up by cameras, etc last night. At one point Willock had possession on the left and did something in front of Charlie and Andre - who were warming up - and they were talking to him from the sidelines. When we got a corner, Andre called him over and was talking him through something, using his body to show whatever it was he was advising him on while Willock listened and nodded along.

I appreciate there's some uncertainty with contributions from Chaz and also Andre, but that was a great example of how plugged in they are to their roles as senior squad members, and how helping/improving our younger players is part of the reason they are here. Rarely see that kind of hands on coaching from players warming up, thought it was a telling little observation.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Austin on 11:45 - Oct 20 with 1837 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin on 11:38 - Oct 20 by simmo

Little side note on Austin (and also Andre Gray) that probably wasn't picked up by cameras, etc last night. At one point Willock had possession on the left and did something in front of Charlie and Andre - who were warming up - and they were talking to him from the sidelines. When we got a corner, Andre called him over and was talking him through something, using his body to show whatever it was he was advising him on while Willock listened and nodded along.

I appreciate there's some uncertainty with contributions from Chaz and also Andre, but that was a great example of how plugged in they are to their roles as senior squad members, and how helping/improving our younger players is part of the reason they are here. Rarely see that kind of hands on coaching from players warming up, thought it was a telling little observation.

Great observation, also really liked how Amos who was warming up prior, kicked off the applause when de Wijs came out off the dug-out to start his warm-up, really great gesture given de Wijs may have been dropped last night so key our squad is together regardless of who starts each game.
Austin on 11:58 - Oct 20 with 1779 viewsjoe90

I also clocked that (and mentioned it in the match thread). It was interesting interaction, wonder what they were telling him.
Austin on 12:07 - Oct 20 with 1745 viewsWegerles_Stairs

He's nailed on to score the winner in the play-off final.
Austin on 12:16 - Oct 20 with 1724 viewsjohnhoop

Austin on 12:07 - Oct 20 by Wegerles_Stairs

He's nailed on to score the winner in the play-off final.

Not if Remy's available.
Austin on 12:29 - Oct 20 with 1669 viewsNW5Hoop

Equally, though, the very much not senior Dykes spent a lot of time directing Willlock on who and when to press. Could hear it from the West Paddock. My takeaway from these incidents combined is not that Austin, Gray and Dykes are natural mentors, but that Willock - joy to watch though he is - might be a bit divvy about doing what he’s meant to!
Austin on 12:50 - Oct 20 with 1597 viewsted_hendrix

I'm delighted to have both Charlie Austin and Andre Gray in our squad, I have no Idea how much either player weighs, if anybody wants to know the respective weight of Austin and Gray then I suggest they go down to the training ground and ask said player "how heavy are you"?

Two good professional players in my opinion.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Austin on 13:10 - Oct 20 with 1543 viewshateley_legend

I was a tiny bit disappointed that Dykes (and Charlie) didn’t come over to clap the fans; they both strode straight off the pitch in deep discussion - obviously no idea if they were having a falling out or just a tactical exchange as others have posted above.

Would have loved to have given Dykes warm applause, as I thought he was brilliant last night (prob second only to Albert as MOM IMO); his work rate was top drawer (one particular wholehearted sprint across most of the width of the pitch to close down late on sticks in the mind). Oh well - I’ll take the three points and the absolute scenes when the winner went in!
Austin on 13:32 - Oct 20 with 1482 viewsAgedR

Austin on 13:44 - Oct 18 by bosh67

There seems to be an element of panic about this thread. I think we've scored in pretty much every game. The problem seems to be letting goals in again. If we can stop that then whether Charlie or anyone else scores will mean more. Plus to be honest when Charlie is at his best he's being served from wide positions and we generally are quite dis-balanced with almost nothing coming in from the right. Most goals being fed down the left. For me we are really missing Albert who is so good at getting players in so we are potentially starving our forwards.

Agree. Unless we think that our frailty at the back is due to a weakness in a “defend from the front” approach.

The difference between Mitrovic and Austin on Saturday was that Mitrovic got the service in dangers areas, so had the opportunity to create something.

Not unlike Austin against Everton.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Austin on 13:41 - Oct 20 with 1442 viewsWestminsteRs

Also noticed this. It happened immediately after a ball across the six yard area that three of our players were unable to get to. The last of the three arriving just too late was Willock.

Could be completely wrong but took it to be that the two veteran strikers were explaining to Willock that he could/should be getting more into the sorts of positions and gambling at the back post to score goals.
Austin on 14:00 - Oct 20 with 1369 viewsLongsufferingR

Yes, I was right there and Gray said to Willock "you really need to get yourself a popstar girlfriend. That way you can put in the minimum effort for the rest of your career and still keep appearing in Hello magazine." Willock then said "yeah, I'm trying with that one from Steps".
Austin on 14:22 - Oct 20 with 1293 viewsDiscodroids

Charlie Austin , The Bob Latchford Of 2021.

Give him the service and Chaz will feast on it like a Roman Emperor at a vomitorium Banquet.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Austin on 14:26 - Oct 20 with 1276 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin on 13:10 - Oct 20 by hateley_legend

I was a tiny bit disappointed that Dykes (and Charlie) didn’t come over to clap the fans; they both strode straight off the pitch in deep discussion - obviously no idea if they were having a falling out or just a tactical exchange as others have posted above.

Would have loved to have given Dykes warm applause, as I thought he was brilliant last night (prob second only to Albert as MOM IMO); his work rate was top drawer (one particular wholehearted sprint across most of the width of the pitch to close down late on sticks in the mind). Oh well - I’ll take the three points and the absolute scenes when the winner went in!

Loved Dykes's Aussie Rules (or is it a Rugby League) flying header near the end in front of the East Paddock when he pulverised their Centre Half then bounced straight up ready to go, as their guy scrapped himself off the floor not knowing what had hit him - also fronted up to Ayala which was great to see.

Likewise when Brereton went in late on Dunne who gave him the finger-wag and 'dont feckin try that one again or you're getting it' look.

These two (with hopefully Field) could give this team a really aggressive spine which is key in this division.
Austin on 15:40 - Oct 20 with 1175 viewsstrikerace

Don't understand this peristant concern. Austin is playing a good role for us. Is he the player he was, no. However with service he scores, and he adds a strong veteran presence. What is the issue because I don't see it. To me things are great. We have Dykes and Austin, both of which can score a lot at this level.
Austin on 15:45 - Oct 20 with 1164 viewsDiscodroids

Austin on 15:40 - Oct 20 by strikerace

Don't understand this peristant concern. Austin is playing a good role for us. Is he the player he was, no. However with service he scores, and he adds a strong veteran presence. What is the issue because I don't see it. To me things are great. We have Dykes and Austin, both of which can score a lot at this level.

100%

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024