Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not that long ago 15:44 - Oct 18 with 2720 viewsbollockchops

Say 30/40 years , when someone passed away the cause of death was either
a, cancer or b, "old age" but these days nobody dies of "old age "
Is there anyone out there who knows the answer ?
Not that long ago on 16:08 - Oct 18 with 2639 viewsdanehoop

Suspect its probably that old age technically isn't probably see as a cause of death of death anymore, merely a contributory factor. So probably more likely to be listed as something stopping working (e.g. heart, lungs, liver etc. failure) or disease/complaint e.g. pneumonia etc. as being the actual cause of death.

That said, as we learnt from C19, different countries can take a different approach to recording death. Some have had no C-19 cases, but lots of death by influenza, pneumonia and heart/lung failure this year.

Never knowingly understood

Not that long ago on 16:08 - Oct 18 with 2638 viewsdaveB

I'd assume advances in medical science mean you are more likely to know a cause of death now than 40 years ago.
Not that long ago on 16:08 - Oct 18 with 2640 viewsEsox_Lucius

RTA

The grass is always greener.

Not that long ago on 16:23 - Oct 18 with 2596 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm old enough to remember when old people "took to the bed".

That would be it for them. They could last years on the meals being brought up to them, but they wouldn't surface again. They had their time done.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Not that long ago on 16:28 - Oct 18 with 2583 viewsterryb

Not that long ago on 16:08 - Oct 18 by danehoop

Suspect its probably that old age technically isn't probably see as a cause of death of death anymore, merely a contributory factor. So probably more likely to be listed as something stopping working (e.g. heart, lungs, liver etc. failure) or disease/complaint e.g. pneumonia etc. as being the actual cause of death.

That said, as we learnt from C19, different countries can take a different approach to recording death. Some have had no C-19 cases, but lots of death by influenza, pneumonia and heart/lung failure this year.

When my father died the doctor signed it off as heart failure.

This was rejected as the registry office as you have to say why the heart stopped! Back to the doctor's for another certificate before a return trip to the registry. The alternative to this would have been a post mortem & possibly Coroners Court.

We all knew that the main cause of death was old age!
Not that long ago on 18:34 - Oct 18 with 2382 viewsBoston

Not that long ago on 16:08 - Oct 18 by danehoop

Actually old chap, we learned that from AIDS.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Not that long ago on 21:41 - Oct 18 with 2231 viewsstowmarketrange

Not that long ago on 16:28 - Oct 18 by terryb

When my father died the doctor signed it off as heart failure.

This was rejected as the registry office as you have to say why the heart stopped! Back to the doctor's for another certificate before a return trip to the registry. The alternative to this would have been a post mortem & possibly Coroners Court.

We all knew that the main cause of death was old age!

My dad had advanced lung cancer that had spread,but when they took him into hospital they said he had septicaemia too,and that would finish him off before the cancer would,so my mum told the doctors to just make him comfortable and he died about 6 hours later.
I think the death certificate said that it was septicaemia that killed him.
My mum too had advanced lung cancer 11 years later,but she died from heart failure rather than the cancer as I had to tell the paramedic over the phone that she didn’t to be revived if anything happened to her.She died a few minutes later and we’ll before I got there.
Her death certificate said heart failure rather than cancer.
Not that long ago on 12:02 - Oct 19 with 2031 viewsDaBurgh

Not that long ago on 16:23 - Oct 18 by BrianMcCarthy

That would be it for them. They could last years on the meals being brought up to them, but they wouldn't surface again. They had their time done.

Very true Brian, in the mid 60's when I was around 9 or 10, we would go to my maternal grandmothers house for Sunday dinner a couple of times a month. I always remember upon arrival being herded upstairs with my brother and sister to view my sickly old great grandfather in his bed. Never knew the guy and I never remember him saying anything to us. It was a bizarre situation, we just looked at him in bed, the room, only slightly lit with some daylight coming through the gap in the curtains. Then one day we didn't have to go see him, obviously he passed, don't remember a funeral or anyone really talking about it. Always thought if that was me one day, I would wait for the kids to lean over the bed, then shout 'boo' and scare the beejezus out of 'em, just for fun.
Login to get fewer ads

Not that long ago on 12:13 - Oct 19 with 2005 viewscaliforniahoop

The other argument is, plenty were labelled as, “old age” because we didn’t the ability to work out the actual cause of death?
Not that long ago on 12:14 - Oct 19 with 2005 viewsMrSheen

Not that long ago on 16:23 - Oct 18 by BrianMcCarthy

My kids are like that.

More seriously, I read an interesting article about capacity in American hospitals. If you make it to the ICU alive, it's very difficult to die without someone choosing to switch off the machines. Where families refuse to do this, people can linger for years, with a continual need to be monitored, fed, bathed, turned etc, which according to the hospitals is highly dispiriting for the staff. There's a crisis coming between the right to life and...resources/scarcity/convenience/efficiency, delete according to your beliefs.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 13:01]
Not that long ago on 12:56 - Oct 19 with 1960 viewsPhildo

In Ireland people did not used to get dementia. They just 'went a bit doting' (doting to rhyme with voting).
Not that long ago on 13:24 - Oct 19 with 1905 viewsLazyFan

Old age is a useless statement as is it really that?

We need to know the underlying cause in more granular detail, sometimes we may get that underlying cause wrong, but only by looking at the cause of death can we then see patterns and determining trends to try and find the causes of that.

Once we have this information we can look at trying to remedy this and generate long lives for all of us.

To me "old age" is some sort of quaint/woke saying and not an attempt at obtaining useful scientific evidence with which we can determine probabilities and patterns.

zzzzzzzzzz

Not that long ago on 14:47 - Oct 19 with 1837 viewsBoston

Not that long ago on 12:14 - Oct 19 by MrSheen

My kids are like that.

More seriously, I read an interesting article about capacity in American hospitals. If you make it to the ICU alive, it's very difficult to die without someone choosing to switch off the machines. Where families refuse to do this, people can linger for years, with a continual need to be monitored, fed, bathed, turned etc, which according to the hospitals is highly dispiriting for the staff. There's a crisis coming between the right to life and...resources/scarcity/convenience/efficiency, delete according to your beliefs.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 13:01]

Hmm, private health care or public?

Edit. For public read state run / paid for.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 14:48]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Not that long ago on 15:17 - Oct 19 with 1808 viewsMrSheen

Not that long ago on 14:47 - Oct 19 by Boston

Hmm, private health care or public?

Edit. For public read state run / paid for.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 14:48]

Don't know! I imagine private hospitals won't object while you're still in credit, but apparently the care costs millions per year per patient and I doubt private hospitals have the right to pull the plug when the money inevitably runs out (could be wrong).
Not that long ago on 15:36 - Oct 19 with 1776 viewsLazyFan

Not that long ago on 15:17 - Oct 19 by MrSheen

Don't know! I imagine private hospitals won't object while you're still in credit, but apparently the care costs millions per year per patient and I doubt private hospitals have the right to pull the plug when the money inevitably runs out (could be wrong).

Your insurance will run out and then they will start to bill you directly and then when you run out of money they will turn it off.

Also, they may start removing some support degrading over time to the patient as your money runs out so when it does you cannot sue them later as you have no money by then.

zzzzzzzzzz

Not that long ago on 16:11 - Oct 19 with 1743 viewsMrSheen

Not that long ago on 15:36 - Oct 19 by LazyFan

Your insurance will run out and then they will start to bill you directly and then when you run out of money they will turn it off.

Also, they may start removing some support degrading over time to the patient as your money runs out so when it does you cannot sue them later as you have no money by then.

This suggests not, as they could be sued for wrongful death, though they can deny entrance except as an emergency case.
https://www.quora.com/In-the-USA-is-life-support-turned-off-for-patients-who-can

In the piece I read (Economist, paywalled), they referred to a child on life support in Texas for two years at the cost to Medicaid (ie the State) of $24m. Texas is one of three states (with California and Virginia, that allows doctors to apply for court approval to turn off machines without family approval, which they have done in this case. Application in April, decision due in January (!).
Not that long ago on 16:57 - Oct 19 with 1690 viewsstowmarketrange

Not that long ago on 15:36 - Oct 19 by LazyFan

A one way ticket to Switzerland is cheaper.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024