Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton on Tonight 22:56 - Oct 19 with 2423 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/mark-warburton-on-blackburn-191021/

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton on Tonight on 23:39 - Oct 19 with 2233 viewsBklynRanger

Spot on - can't argue with any of that really
Warburton on Tonight on 23:58 - Oct 19 with 2168 viewsWatfordR

Warburton on Tonight on 23:39 - Oct 19 by BklynRanger

Was just about to post the same. Absolutely how I saw it too.
Warburton on Tonight on 00:03 - Oct 20 with 2138 viewsHunterhoop

Warburton on Tonight on 23:39 - Oct 19 by BklynRanger

Unpopular opinion alert: I think you can.

I think teams have found us out. The first half was another example, even if Blackburn arrived with no intent to win.

I genuinely don’t think it’s about “executing better”. I think it’s about swapping a centre half for a central midfielder and controlling the park and being harder to play through. One of our centre halves was constantly the spare man again tonight, but with few/no options ahead of him. Teams have figured out how we play. Switch to a 4231 and play Amos and Ball with Johansen just ahead pulling the strings further up the pitch. You keep Willock and Chair on the pitch that way.
Warburton on Tonight on 00:11 - Oct 20 with 2082 viewsWatfordR

Warburton on Tonight on 00:03 - Oct 20 by Hunterhoop

I think teams have found us out. The first half was another example, even if Blackburn arrived with no intent to win.

I genuinely don’t think it’s about “executing better”. I think it’s about swapping a centre half for a central midfielder and controlling the park and being harder to play through. One of our centre halves was constantly the spare man again tonight, but with few/no options ahead of him. Teams have figured out how we play. Switch to a 4231 and play Amos and Ball with Johansen just ahead pulling the strings further up the pitch. You keep Willock and Chair on the pitch that way.

I'd agree about Johansen further forward, but I think the centre halves have to be a little braver about carrying the ball forward, and I also think the movement in front of them needs to be better.

And without a doubt there needs to be a greater pace and intensity to our approach play, particularly against the likes of a Blackburn, intent on frustrating. The first half tonight was 45 minutes of nothing, other than dreadful refereeing.
Warburton on Tonight on 02:27 - Oct 20 with 1933 viewsstainrods_elbow

Warburton on Tonight on 00:11 - Oct 20 by WatfordR

I'd agree about Johansen further forward, but I think the centre halves have to be a little braver about carrying the ball forward, and I also think the movement in front of them needs to be better.

And without a doubt there needs to be a greater pace and intensity to our approach play, particularly against the likes of a Blackburn, intent on frustrating. The first half tonight was 45 minutes of nothing, other than dreadful refereeing.

Agree with that. Feel Dickie in particular was/is looking more backward about coming forward after his galloping start to the season, though getting himself nobbled in the first half with that lunge probably didn't help. Unfortunately, Ball is limited, Dozzell not very creative, and Willock and Chair were not finding the pockets for too much of the time with anything like their usual zip - it was noticeable in the first half in particular that both were coming deeper to get on the ball.

Chair's goal was beautifully bashed in, but it was also one of the very few times they really stood off him, and their keeper's positioning also seemed all wrong. As has been pointed out, Uncle made the difference in terms of our attacking threat, and should be first choice right wing back on the back of that performance alone.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Warburton on Tonight on 03:32 - Oct 20 with 1925 viewsjtuck

Blackburn defenders stood off Ilias Chair for the goal because of an excellent ball by Dickie.

Harsh to blame keeper for positioning on his shot. As Nick London alluded to on QPR + commentary Chair used players in front of him as shield for shot.

LAranger

Warburton on Tonight on 06:28 - Oct 20 with 1805 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think we've seen many times that we need 3/5 at the back. But we also need two centre-mids at all times against the better teams.

Our problems come further forward when we play with only one central mid. It worked last night because Blackburn were so deep and didn't really contest the area but we saw on Saturday, as we did many times last season, that when the oppo want to contest midfield aggressively we can get overrun in there with two central-mids, particularly when we take one of the two off and overload the attacking third.

That situation may improve when Amos and/or Field is fit enough to play ninety. Or may not.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton on Tonight on 06:54 - Oct 20 with 1759 viewsozranger

Warburton on Tonight on 06:28 - Oct 20 by BrianMcCarthy

I think we've seen many times that we need 3/5 at the back. But we also need two centre-mids at all times against the better teams.

Our problems come further forward when we play with only one central mid. It worked last night because Blackburn were so deep and didn't really contest the area but we saw on Saturday, as we did many times last season, that when the oppo want to contest midfield aggressively we can get overrun in there with two central-mids, particularly when we take one of the two off and overload the attacking third.

That situation may improve when Amos and/or Field is fit enough to play ninety. Or may not.

You are quite right Brian as to the Blackburn tactics. We had a bit of a waste last night and I am unsure why Warburton chose not to sub off Ball at half time and bring on Amos. Ball was not required as they had no attack last night and thus no need for a defensive midfielder to sit in front of the attackers. I feel had we had two attacking midfielders in Amos and Dozell we would have had that impetus needed to finish them off much earlier.

Each game is different. This was one where, to me, it was screaming out to bring on another attack minded midfielder for Ball.
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton on Tonight on 07:31 - Oct 20 with 1666 viewsnix

I must admit I think it's worth a try sometimes changing our formation. Mowbray admitted that his tactic last night was to frustrate us.

Someone said last night that Willock was quiet but I think he's being marked out of most games. He definitely gets more attention even than Chair, usually being doubled up on.

Dickie tends to be our spare man but has been unable to do that recently because of having his hands full in defence against Mitrovic etc, although made some nice runs last night that produced a few hairy moments against their defence and finally providing the assist for Illie's goal.

You could see the difference Dozzell made last night with a greater mobility in helping to win the ball back in central midfield in the first half which also helps in tiring their minefielders for the second half onslaught.

With players coming back from injury, we've got more options, and while it's a good idea to get players used to what they're doing, it's also worth sometimes freshening it up. I wouldn't tear up the three at the back idea but it's good to keep teams guessing.

Also fantastic that last season Mowbray was almost implying it would be easy for his silky forwards against us and this season feeling he has to frustrate us and hope he could fluke a win, a la Bristol City.
Warburton on Tonight on 08:25 - Oct 20 with 1536 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think there’s a case for an extra CM, but this stuff about us being ‘worked out’ doesn’t fly for me. We’ve lost 4 times this season, we have scored in every game and controlled most games. The idea that if the oppo have some chances or frustrate us for periods that we’ve been worked out (whatever that means, as if its taken teams 10 months to cotton on we play with high wing backs and a back 3) is a nonsense.

Bare bones.

Warburton on Tonight on 09:37 - Oct 20 with 1384 viewsPhilmyRs

Warburton on Tonight on 08:25 - Oct 20 by Antti_Heinola

I think there’s a case for an extra CM, but this stuff about us being ‘worked out’ doesn’t fly for me. We’ve lost 4 times this season, we have scored in every game and controlled most games. The idea that if the oppo have some chances or frustrate us for periods that we’ve been worked out (whatever that means, as if its taken teams 10 months to cotton on we play with high wing backs and a back 3) is a nonsense.

Largely agree. Worked out is a bit strong for me seeing as though we’re 5th. When you think that the games we’ve lost include 3 away games against Fulham, West Brom and Bournemouth - 3 teams that most would say would finish above us - and one game which I though we were very unlucky in (Bristol City), we’ve had an excellent start.

Some valid points about making sure we control the middle of the park and clear teams are going to try and play this method of containment against us more often than not but no need to panic snd worry that we’ve been figured out, we haven’t. We’re a challenger for top 6 at the moment and we’re on course for that. A few tweaks here and there and we could possibly move up a notch to a top 2 challenger.
Warburton on Tonight on 10:07 - Oct 20 with 1288 viewsBklynRanger

You make a fair point Hunter, as is often the case, but I don't even think we needed to do all of that last night. It may have been worth making that sort of change, but we really did seem to be matching Blackburn in pace and intensity when we didn't need to be doing that.

Barbet made 3 or 4 passes that didn't work in the first half, and I was getting frustrated with him but started to see he was trying to play it inside for Chair to move onto, whereas Ilias wanted to get it up the line and then begin to move. I think Barbet had the right idea in trying to create some movement and energy. Flicking it off his own post was taking it a bit far but who really understands the French anyway?

The difference seemed to be Amos coming on and bringing a bit more bite, and then obviously Albert's half time protein shake kicking in in a big way. He was an outstanding example of taking measured risks and doing that bit more.

I definitely agree that Stef will be more use a bit further up the pitch and have thought that for a while now. Field doing that current Stef/Dozzel role with Stef just ahead is something to look forward to hopefully.
Warburton on Tonight on 12:56 - Oct 20 with 1136 viewsDavieQPR

We do not have FBs good enough defensively to play 4 at the back.
Warburton on Tonight on 13:06 - Oct 20 with 1086 viewssimmo

I know one player is rarely the solution to a potential team issue, but Field is exactly the answer to having that solidity in CM whilst allowing Johansen more licence to push ahead. I also think he improves us with his defending of our own area and allows us to move to 2 CBs if/when we need to, with him dropping between.

With the ball we just don't move it quick enough to disrupt teams, not always, but often in large chunks of the game and especially when teams sit in deep. This isn't exclusive to QPR and actually our scoring record shows we usually find a way, but players like Ball can't play well at pace in the same way Johansen or even Amos tend to. I think it's only a matter of time until Luke takes over from Ball, at least until Field is fit.

I also think this back 3/5 should stay as the first choice where possible, it's not as if we stick rigidly to it through the game anyway, but absolutely more needs to be done with the balance of midfield and someone disciplined needs to know when to sit in. The other issue as far as I can see is concentration, we tend to dominate for large periods and it's almost as if we forget the other team pose a threat, Preston was a good example. Players need to make sure they don't get too comfy or complacent in games, it's costing us goals and points.

Overall things are going well and I'd rather prioritise attacking, but a little tweak with personnel and limiting individual error could take us up another notch

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Warburton on Tonight on 13:07 - Oct 20 with 1079 viewsgigiisourgod

Excellent win last night, delighted with this start to the season. Long may it continue!
Warburton on Tonight on 16:03 - Oct 20 with 955 viewsAntti_Heinola

Warburton on Tonight on 12:56 - Oct 20 by DavieQPR

We do not have FBs good enough defensively to play 4 at the back.

Exactly this. I think there’s a trap of saying ‘one more man shores up the midfield’ without looking at the knockons: Barbet now not half as good in a 4; full backs not right for that system; less width going forward etc.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024