Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hammersmith Palais 21:09 - Oct 22 with 6556 viewsPunteR

I seem to remember someone posting a YouTube video of footage from the 70s in colour of a Saturday night in the palais. It's way before my time but wanted to show my mother in law who used to be a regular down there and will probably know some faces. She also met my wife's dad there.
If someone knows it, could you please post on here as I can't find it on YouTube.
Many thanks in advance.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hammersmith Palais on 21:22 - Oct 22 with 4825 viewsqpr_1968

this is how i remember the palais in the 70's

loved it there.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Hammersmith Palais on 21:34 - Oct 22 with 4778 viewsPunteR

Hammersmith Palais on 21:22 - Oct 22 by qpr_1968

loved it there.

Thanks mate. Unfortunately I can't get sound on this video. I think this is the one that was posted before though, but I think had music plus a narrator.

Hammersmith Palais on 21:40 - Oct 22 with 4756 viewsqpr_1968

Hammersmith Palais on 21:34 - Oct 22 by PunteR

Thanks mate. Unfortunately I can't get sound on this video. I think this is the one that was posted before though, but I think had music plus a narrator.

shorter version with sound.

Hammersmith Palais on 21:41 - Oct 22 with 4753 viewsTacticalR

Hammersmith Palais on 21:22 - Oct 22 by qpr_1968

loved it there.

Everything was very brown in the 70s.

Also interesting to see the contrasting dance styles: the more individualistic do-it-yourself (and by yourself) interpretive dancing at the beginning, and the ballroom (couples) dancing at the end.

Air hostess clique

Hammersmith Palais on 21:41 - Oct 22 with 4751 viewsqpr_1968

Hammersmith Palais on 21:40 - Oct 22 by qpr_1968

sorry, no narrator.

Hammersmith Palais on 21:56 - Oct 22 with 4707 viewsPunteR

Hammersmith Palais on 21:40 - Oct 22 by qpr_1968

Brill, thank you mate.

Hammersmith Palais on 21:58 - Oct 22 with 4701 viewsPunteR

Hammersmith Palais on 21:41 - Oct 22 by TacticalR

Everything was very brown in the 70s.

Also interesting to see the contrasting dance styles: the more individualistic do-it-yourself (and by yourself) interpretive dancing at the beginning, and the ballroom (couples) dancing at the end.

Thank god for ecstasy.. lol

Hammersmith Palais on 22:37 - Oct 22 with 4629 viewsHAMRanger

Hammersmith Palais on 21:58 - Oct 22 by PunteR

Thank god for ecstasy.. lol

Login to get fewer ads

Hammersmith Palais on 23:04 - Oct 22 with 4586 viewsthorpebankR

Hammersmith Palais on 22:37 - Oct 22 by HAMRanger

Some great times
Hammersmith Palais on 23:24 - Oct 22 with 4550 viewsstevec

The nightclub of last resort. We used to go to the Palais whenever we’d left the pub too late to get in anywhere else.

It was very down market compared to what was around elsewhere in the late 70’s, early 80’s but once you’d got over yourselves it was usually a good laugh.
Hammersmith Palais on 00:08 - Oct 23 with 4506 viewsBoston

Hammersmith Palais on 23:24 - Oct 22 by stevec

The nightclub of last resort. We used to go to the Palais whenever we’d left the pub too late to get in anywhere else.

It was very down market compared to what was around elsewhere in the late 70’s, early 80’s but once you’d got over yourselves it was usually a good laugh.

Yeah, never really a Palais fan, like yourself, if there was no other option....

Anyway, spotted myself in the vid...with Punte's mother in law!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hammersmith Palais on 00:31 - Oct 23 with 4481 viewslightwaterhoop

My Dad was in the Hammersmith Palais dancing to the Joe Loss orchestra one night in 1940 when the band stopped playing in the middle of a number.Joe Loss went up to the microphone and announced that news had come though that France had surrendered to the Germans.He then asked the audience to all stand to attention while his band played 'La Marseillaise' my Dad who was 19 at the time volunteered for the Army a few days later as did thousands of others.
Hammersmith Palais on 09:25 - Oct 23 with 4289 viewsNorthantsHoop

Early 80s used to go to the Palais, as mentioned earlier always easy to get in on Saturday if you had been refused elsewhere. Also great venue for gigs saw Bauhaus, Siouxsie & The Banshees and Echo & The Bunnymen there around the same time.
Hammersmith Palais on 09:32 - Oct 23 with 4269 viewsqueensparker

Lots of memories here: My mum and dad met in the Palais in the early sixties as well. My mum was there with her sister who was apparently having a fling/hot date with dishy Richard O Sullivan at the time. I saw Oasis there in the mid 90s plus a lot of shoddy club nights on the pull (never quite as successful as my Dad or Punter’s in-laws).

When they knocked it down I ended up with one of the old original road signs for Hammersmith Grove that was by the front door that someone had chucked in a skip - gave it to mum and dad to celebrate their first meeting but I think they were underwhelmed by my slightly rusty gift. Plus of course one of the great Clash songs.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 9:38]
Hammersmith Palais on 10:16 - Oct 23 with 4215 viewscolinallcars

It used to be said that lots of men met their wives at the Palais. And their wives gave them a right thumping when they got home.
Hammersmith Palais on 10:28 - Oct 23 with 4201 viewshamptonhillhoop

Hammersmith Palais on 09:32 - Oct 23 by queensparker

Lots of memories here: My mum and dad met in the Palais in the early sixties as well. My mum was there with her sister who was apparently having a fling/hot date with dishy Richard O Sullivan at the time. I saw Oasis there in the mid 90s plus a lot of shoddy club nights on the pull (never quite as successful as my Dad or Punter’s in-laws).

When they knocked it down I ended up with one of the old original road signs for Hammersmith Grove that was by the front door that someone had chucked in a skip - gave it to mum and dad to celebrate their first meeting but I think they were underwhelmed by my slightly rusty gift. Plus of course one of the great Clash songs.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 9:38]

I was at that Oasis gig queenparker, just before they went massive.
Had many a night in the Palais in the 90's, some good, some desperately poor. You know you're searching for something else in life when you find yourself in the Palais on a Tuesday night with about 40 other people
Hammersmith Palais on 10:46 - Oct 23 with 4175 viewswelwynranger

Hammersmith Palais on 10:28 - Oct 23 by hamptonhillhoop

I was at that Oasis gig queenparker, just before they went massive.
Had many a night in the Palais in the 90's, some good, some desperately poor. You know you're searching for something else in life when you find yourself in the Palais on a Tuesday night with about 40 other people

Ken Mcintosh rocking every Saturday night
Hammersmith Palais on 11:21 - Oct 23 with 4134 viewsW13R

Am I dreaming or was there a band called Luna Park who used to come on for half an hour on Saturday nights in the 80's?
Hammersmith Palais on 11:27 - Oct 23 with 4120 viewswood_hoop

Wow, what memoriess one of my first dance halls at the tender age of 14 in 1970, god knows how I got in, red satin trousers and a blue satin jacket to match, a few wisps of bum fluff, thought I looked so mature !

If memory serves me right had a house band play, but the dance floor always seemed empty, once the DJ came on in the band breaks it miracously filled with groovers.

Did become a place to go only in desperation for a night out, prefered the Lyceum in the Strand.
Hammersmith Palais on 11:41 - Oct 23 with 4087 viewsSK_hoops

My mum lent me a book about closed down gig venues. Looks like there were so many great gig venues about. West London is so dead for that sort of thing now. Even when I was growing up tbh.
Hammersmith Palais on 13:25 - Oct 23 with 4014 viewsParkRoyalR

Hammersmith Palais on 11:21 - Oct 23 by W13R

Am I dreaming or was there a band called Luna Park who used to come on for half an hour on Saturday nights in the 80's?

Yes, great recall, might have been playing night before 86 Milk Cup final when Rangers fans went banzai and ran the bouncers out onto the road - was hod carrying that summer and one of the brickies was a bouncer at The Palais - was fuming - didn't help he was from Luton either!
Hammersmith Palais on 14:52 - Oct 23 with 3930 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hammersmith Palais on 00:31 - Oct 23 by lightwaterhoop

My Dad was in the Hammersmith Palais dancing to the Joe Loss orchestra one night in 1940 when the band stopped playing in the middle of a number.Joe Loss went up to the microphone and announced that news had come though that France had surrendered to the Germans.He then asked the audience to all stand to attention while his band played 'La Marseillaise' my Dad who was 19 at the time volunteered for the Army a few days later as did thousands of others.

Blimey, puts joining in with the ‘oops upside your head’ routine in the shade some 40 odd years later!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hammersmith Palais on 16:47 - Oct 23 with 3878 viewsW13R

Hammersmith Palais on 13:25 - Oct 23 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, great recall, might have been playing night before 86 Milk Cup final when Rangers fans went banzai and ran the bouncers out onto the road - was hod carrying that summer and one of the brickies was a bouncer at The Palais - was fuming - didn't help he was from Luton either!

It was like the O.K. Corral in there most Saturday nights i.e. punch ups on the dance floor, stools being thrown around plus remember once seeing a bloke being held over the balcony by his legs!
Hammersmith Palais on 17:36 - Oct 23 with 3825 viewsPunteR

Hammersmith Palais on 00:08 - Oct 23 by Boston

Yeah, never really a Palais fan, like yourself, if there was no other option....

Anyway, spotted myself in the vid...with Punte's mother in law!

Haha..
Not to scare you Boston but apparently she started going there when she was 14..!.

Hammersmith Palais on 17:54 - Oct 23 with 3800 viewsBerkoRanger

The only two I recognised were the two featured bouncers, as I was a regular down there. Wow - did I really used to look / dance like that???
And yes, it WAS a cattle market.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024