Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dave 16:59 - Nov 18 with 4327 viewsLogman

Why did Patrick Agyemang get called Dave ? Was it a bit of innocent fun because we weren't familiar with his surname ?

The Rafiq Inquiry has heavily condoned the Yorkshire players for not using the Asian players proper names. Fair play to them for calling them out.
Dave on 17:02 - Nov 18 with 3490 viewsNorthernr

It was a ridiculous thing that got out of hand on this message board around not being able to call him Big Pat because we already had Patrick Kanyuka.
Dave on 17:02 - Nov 18 with 3489 viewsJeff

It was specifically coined by a poster on this message board called Windsor Hoop, who called him Dave as the standard nickname for a player called Patrick (Big Pat) was taken up at the time by Big Pat Kanyuka

obviously he scored a bazillion goals in his first 10 games, and then someone (i believe one of the less than savoury WATRB Paladini hanger-on types) spoke to him and told him that he was called that because we couldn't pronounce his surname and we were all being a bit racial about it. Agyemang then asked to not be called Dave anymore, and he never scored again...

Can we not knock it?

Dave on 17:06 - Nov 18 with 3462 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

'I called him "bruv" and he bit my head off. I wasn't having that' -

Patrick Agyemang on the bizarre Portsmouth dressing room bust-up with ex-Sunderland and West Ham man David Connolly

And he revealed their explosive dressing room argument after the former QPR striker called Connolly ‘bruv’.

The ex-Wimbledon team-mates were reunited at Fratton Park midway through the 2012-13 season as caretaker boss Guy Whittingham sought able bodies.

The classy pair would subsequently establish themselves as firm supporter favourites during the early stages of the club’s rebuild under fan ownership in League Two.

However, in December 2013, following a 2-2 draw with Wycombe, there was a notable confrontation between Agyemang and Connolly.

The Chairboys’ Anthony Stewart’s last-gasp goal cancelled out what had appeared to be a matchwinner from substitute Agyemang. And it led to a curious disagreement in Fratton Park’s home dressing room.

Agyemang told The News: ‘I was a big guy, but very quiet until my latter years.

‘That day I spoke up to Dave Connolly in the Pompey changing room. He had a go at me and I just wasn’t having it.

‘We’d played Wycombe, it was my first game back following injury and I had come on and scored. Then they equalised in the last minute to make it 2-2.

‘Afterwards, Dave was saying “Focus, focus everyone”. Well, I was focused. I replied “Whatever, bruv”.

‘To which he said “Don’t call me bruv”. So I told him: “Hold on, wait a minute, what are you going to do? Bruv”.

‘He repeated: “Don’t call me bruv”.

‘It got petty, like little kids. He bit my head off, but I didn’t mean anything by calling him “bruv”. However, once he told me not to, it made me continue saying “bruv”.

‘He told me to stop it about five times — but I carried on. I don’t know why he got so offended by it, but he just did not like being called it.

‘Dave was a top player, I have a lot of admiration for him, he’s one of the best finishers I’ve seen, but he lacked that bit of compassion towards the players and management staff.

‘Also everything had to be right, the level of expectancy for him was very, very high. As a club, Pompey wasn’t in a great place, you can’t expect everything to be wonderful at that moment — so let's work together and get it to that place.

‘I don’t think he really understood that. I saw him nibbling at this person, nibbling at that person, nibbling at me sometimes.

‘When I spoke to him that day, it was me speaking to him on behalf of everyone because no-one else would say anything. I thought “Right, I am going to tell you about yourself now”.

‘It wasn’t a physical fight, I just told him how I felt and we moved on from there. After that it was “Well played, it was good you told him that” from other players. Everyone wanted to say something, but no-one did.

‘I didn’t call him “bruv” again. Others who were scared of him did, though — but under their breath!’

Connolly served as player-coach under Guy Whittingham and was then interviewed for the vacant managerial position following his boss’ dismissal.

The striker’s Pompey career ended in January 2015 when his contract was cancelled by mutual consent having failed to make a single appearance under Andy Awford.

Agyemang added: ‘Dave took a couple of coaching sessions and they were very good.

‘But he didn’t get on with Andy Awford. They had different thoughts and different ways of looking at stuff.

‘With Dave, yes you’re a great player and a top finisher, but you are not the manager, even if you don’t like what he’s saying.

‘That’s one of his problems because he thought he was a better manager and a better coach. It could well be the case, but sorry, if you’re not the manager then you have to listen to him.

‘Young players are seeing you act like this, so it’s not really being a good role model.’
Dave on 17:09 - Nov 18 with 3449 viewsLogman

Never knew that. I always thought it was spawned from Del Boy not knowing Trigger's name in Only Fools and Horses. Oh well, it's good that it was righted and hasn't stuck.
Dave on 17:09 - Nov 18 with 3442 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dave on 17:28 - Nov 18 with 3339 viewsToast_R

I thought it came from Preston fans who nick named him Dave the sub before he signed for us and it was adopted here much like of Legs of Wood, which came from Sheffield United fans.
Dave on 17:56 - Nov 18 with 3259 viewsMick_S

Regarding the Fools and Horses thing. I’ve been going in my local Londis for 25 plus years and the very lovely owners have never used my name. I bumped into a friend in there, we were in an isle that couldn’t be seen from the till. I said “ alright, Dave” he replied “Alright mate” The shop owner got our voices mixed up - next day I went in and Mr shop owner said “ hello, Dave, how are you?” I get it every day and it tickles me silly.

I still haven’t told him.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Dave on 17:58 - Nov 18 with 3251 viewsNorthernr

Dave on 17:56 - Nov 18 by Mick_S

Regarding the Fools and Horses thing. I’ve been going in my local Londis for 25 plus years and the very lovely owners have never used my name. I bumped into a friend in there, we were in an isle that couldn’t be seen from the till. I said “ alright, Dave” he replied “Alright mate” The shop owner got our voices mixed up - next day I went in and Mr shop owner said “ hello, Dave, how are you?” I get it every day and it tickles me silly.

The homeless guy at Old Street Tube has been calling me Craig for a good five or six years now.
Login to get fewer ads

Dave on 18:10 - Nov 18 with 3193 viewswestberksr

Dave on 17:09 - Nov 18 by Logman

Never knew that. I always thought it was spawned from Del Boy not knowing Trigger's name in Only Fools and Horses. Oh well, it's good that it was righted and hasn't stuck.

I still remember the thread and chat; totally innocent and just stuck.

absolutely no malice or intent, just a typical LFW silly throwaway comment that gathered momentum
Dave on 20:25 - Nov 18 with 2925 viewsstowmarketrange

Dave on 17:06 - Nov 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

'I called him "bruv" and he bit my head off. I wasn't having that' -

Patrick Agyemang on the bizarre Portsmouth dressing room bust-up with ex-Sunderland and West Ham man David Connolly

And he revealed their explosive dressing room argument after the former QPR striker called Connolly ‘bruv’.

The ex-Wimbledon team-mates were reunited at Fratton Park midway through the 2012-13 season as caretaker boss Guy Whittingham sought able bodies.

The classy pair would subsequently establish themselves as firm supporter favourites during the early stages of the club’s rebuild under fan ownership in League Two.

However, in December 2013, following a 2-2 draw with Wycombe, there was a notable confrontation between Agyemang and Connolly.

The Chairboys’ Anthony Stewart’s last-gasp goal cancelled out what had appeared to be a matchwinner from substitute Agyemang. And it led to a curious disagreement in Fratton Park’s home dressing room.

Agyemang told The News: ‘I was a big guy, but very quiet until my latter years.

‘That day I spoke up to Dave Connolly in the Pompey changing room. He had a go at me and I just wasn’t having it.

‘We’d played Wycombe, it was my first game back following injury and I had come on and scored. Then they equalised in the last minute to make it 2-2.

‘Afterwards, Dave was saying “Focus, focus everyone”. Well, I was focused. I replied “Whatever, bruv”.

‘To which he said “Don’t call me bruv”. So I told him: “Hold on, wait a minute, what are you going to do? Bruv”.

‘He repeated: “Don’t call me bruv”.

‘It got petty, like little kids. He bit my head off, but I didn’t mean anything by calling him “bruv”. However, once he told me not to, it made me continue saying “bruv”.

‘He told me to stop it about five times — but I carried on. I don’t know why he got so offended by it, but he just did not like being called it.

‘Dave was a top player, I have a lot of admiration for him, he’s one of the best finishers I’ve seen, but he lacked that bit of compassion towards the players and management staff.

‘Also everything had to be right, the level of expectancy for him was very, very high. As a club, Pompey wasn’t in a great place, you can’t expect everything to be wonderful at that moment — so let's work together and get it to that place.

‘I don’t think he really understood that. I saw him nibbling at this person, nibbling at that person, nibbling at me sometimes.

‘When I spoke to him that day, it was me speaking to him on behalf of everyone because no-one else would say anything. I thought “Right, I am going to tell you about yourself now”.

‘It wasn’t a physical fight, I just told him how I felt and we moved on from there. After that it was “Well played, it was good you told him that” from other players. Everyone wanted to say something, but no-one did.

‘I didn’t call him “bruv” again. Others who were scared of him did, though — but under their breath!’

Connolly served as player-coach under Guy Whittingham and was then interviewed for the vacant managerial position following his boss’ dismissal.

The striker’s Pompey career ended in January 2015 when his contract was cancelled by mutual consent having failed to make a single appearance under Andy Awford.

Agyemang added: ‘Dave took a couple of coaching sessions and they were very good.

‘But he didn’t get on with Andy Awford. They had different thoughts and different ways of looking at stuff.

‘With Dave, yes you’re a great player and a top finisher, but you are not the manager, even if you don’t like what he’s saying.

‘That’s one of his problems because he thought he was a better manager and a better coach. It could well be the case, but sorry, if you’re not the manager then you have to listen to him.

‘Young players are seeing you act like this, so it’s not really being a good role model.’

We had a bloke in the post office who took a real exception to being called flop for some strange reason.You could insult his football teams,Brentford and Celtic,but as soon as you called him flop fists were raised.Of course people used to mention it just to wind him up even more.
Stupid what some people get upset over isn’t it?
Dave on 21:00 - Nov 18 with 2846 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dave on 20:25 - Nov 18 by stowmarketrange

We had a bloke in the post office who took a real exception to being called flop for some strange reason.You could insult his football teams,Brentford and Celtic,but as soon as you called him flop fists were raised.Of course people used to mention it just to wind him up even more.

Why was he called Flop? Pele type problems?
Dave on 23:00 - Nov 18 with 2606 viewsstowmarketrange

Dave on 21:00 - Nov 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Why was he called Flop? Pele type problems?

Apparently there was someone called flop who he looked like,but there was no love lost between the two of them.Still a poor excuse to throw your toys out of the pram because somebody called you the name of a bloke you didn’t like.
Dave on 23:05 - Nov 18 with 2597 viewsNewBee

Dave on 20:25 - Nov 18 by stowmarketrange

You mean he just flipped?

Anyhow Brentford had a player a while back called Toumani Diagouraga (now at Morecambe).

He was a real fans favourite due to his all-action style, but soon acquired the nickname "Dave". I'm sure it came from the Fools and Horses gag referenced above and there was no harm intended.

Anyhow, he let it be known that he didn't like it, so he immediately became "Toums".

I don't think it was any big deal for anyone.

On a lighter note, years ago when squaddies were stationed on the Falklands, they started referring to the locals as "Bennys", as in Benny, the slow-witted character in Crossroads.

When their C.O. instructed them to stop it, they did so and re-named them "Stills".

"Cos' they're still Bennys...."
Dave on 23:39 - Nov 18 with 2544 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Back to the OP.

I was watching Peston last night and at the end of the show they were talking about the Rafiq Inquiry. Len Mccluskey was one of the last to comment about it and he compared racism in cricket to football. According to him racism in cricket (specifically Yorkshire) goes all the way to the "board room", whereas in football it only existed "on the terraces".

Quite astonishing thing to say.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dave on 00:01 - Nov 19 with 2514 viewsstowmarketrange

Dave on 23:05 - Nov 18 by NewBee

You mean he just flipped?

Anyhow Brentford had a player a while back called Toumani Diagouraga (now at Morecambe).

He was a real fans favourite due to his all-action style, but soon acquired the nickname "Dave". I'm sure it came from the Fools and Horses gag referenced above and there was no harm intended.

Anyhow, he let it be known that he didn't like it, so he immediately became "Toums".

I don't think it was any big deal for anyone.

On a lighter note, years ago when squaddies were stationed on the Falklands, they started referring to the locals as "Bennys", as in Benny, the slow-witted character in Crossroads.

When their C.O. instructed them to stop it, they did so and re-named them "Stills".

"Cos' they're still Bennys...."

We had about 10 Bulgarian agency truck drivers at our firm a couple of years ago and somebody came up with the idea of calling them the wombles,not as a insult,but just as most of us couldn’t hope to pronounce their first names,unless it was Ivan or igor.
Anyone who remembers their wombles will get the connection.
They were all normal decent blokes once you got to know them,but my firm stopped using that agency so they all went their separate ways.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 0:02]
Dave on 01:07 - Nov 19 with 2455 viewsMiss_Terraces

On a similar note, our treatment of Ian Wright. I was still at school and not a frequent enough attender to know the full story. I know we didn't like him because of the Agincourt salute towards us but could anyone give a clearer picture of the events for the animosity towards him. I get he played for arsenal and that's enough in itself and he gave it out.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Dave on 07:20 - Nov 19 with 2288 viewsdistortR

Dave on 01:07 - Nov 19 by Miss_Terraces

On a similar note, our treatment of Ian Wright. I was still at school and not a frequent enough attender to know the full story. I know we didn't like him because of the Agincourt salute towards us but could anyone give a clearer picture of the events for the animosity towards him. I get he played for arsenal and that's enough in itself and he gave it out.

spitting at stewards didn't help.

Should have been banned from the ground from that point on.

And his kids. Definitely his kids.
Dave on 08:17 - Nov 19 with 2212 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I remember some bellend on another site started mentioning Papa Chango' (forget the program mentioned) or something and it was all 'racist' even though it was pretty obvious to anyone with a light on upstairs who knows their letters it came from this board as I even posted on the thread.

Dave was lucky my suggestion was 'Mangy'.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Dave on 08:21 - Nov 19 with 2199 viewsNorthernr

Dave on 08:17 - Nov 19 by Metallica_Hoop

I remember some bellend on another site started mentioning Papa Chango' (forget the program mentioned) or something and it was all 'racist' even though it was pretty obvious to anyone with a light on upstairs who knows their letters it came from this board as I even posted on the thread.

Dave was lucky my suggestion was 'Mangy'.

Yeh that was sort of the height of the WATRB seek and destroy attempts sadly. Very bleak time.
Dave on 09:02 - Nov 19 with 2107 viewsTheChef

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dave on 09:36 - Nov 19 with 2055 viewsE17hoop

Dave on 23:39 - Nov 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

Back to the OP.

I was watching Peston last night and at the end of the show they were talking about the Rafiq Inquiry. Len Mccluskey was one of the last to comment about it and he compared racism in cricket to football. According to him racism in cricket (specifically Yorkshire) goes all the way to the "board room", whereas in football it only existed "on the terraces".

Len McCluskey is an árse.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Dave on 09:41 - Nov 19 with 2040 viewsLogman

Dave on 23:39 - Nov 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

Back to the OP.

I was watching Question Time last night and it seemed to me the politicians were trying to score points in their sweeping comments about racism in cricket. The guest speaker from Canada who said it was important not to tar whole swathes of society with the same brush pretty much got ignored unfortunately.
Dave on 09:58 - Nov 19 with 1992 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Dave on 09:36 - Nov 19 by E17hoop

Len McCluskey is an árse.

Yeh well there is that!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dave on 10:10 - Nov 19 with 1971 viewsKonk

Dave on 17:56 - Nov 18 by Mick_S

I used to get my sarnie from a sandwich shop at Old Street and the owner thought I was called ‘Jamie’, which I’m not. And he was one of those people who would use your name all the time. Everyday, as I joined the queue he would shout out, “Jamie!” and then start a conversation about football. This went on for about four years until I just decided to get my lunch elsewhere. I used to get really stressed about anyone from my work wandering in whilst he was calling me Jamie.

Similarly, me and my English mates had been calling a Dutch mate, ‘Bart’ for about fifteen years until someone said Mark (whoever he was?) would give us a lift to the station, but ‘Bart’ turned-up so I asked what had happened to ‘Mark’ - “Mate - I am Mark! I have always been Mark!” This lad has stayed in my home, and I’ve stayed at his place. All the other Dutch lads thought it must be because we thought he looked like Bart Simpson. Which he doesn’t.

I think you have to nip these things in the bud or it’s just too awkward to correct people.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Dave on 10:23 - Nov 19 with 1939 viewsrobith

Not to diminish the experiences of people on the receiving end of racism with trivial tattle from my mundane life, but if we're talking name mix ups, I once worked with a guy who over a period of 6 months called me every male name beginning with R other than my actual name

"Morning Russ"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024