Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ryan Woods red card 21:35 - Nov 23 with 3809 viewsAntti_Heinola

Can't stand commentators who hate diving but excuse cynical hacks like Woods' hack just now in the Cov-Bir game. He wasn't even last man, absolutely no need to do it, just launched and with no intention o playing the ball, takes him out. Sky comms saying it was a yellow, but for me, should be a red all day long. Absolutely hate those 'challenges'. It's not taking one for the team, it's cheating. Get off. If you *try* to play the ball - fair enough. When it's like that, I have no sympathy.

Bare bones.

Ryan Woods red card on 00:40 - Nov 24 with 2741 viewsHAYESBOY

Agree. Its always been a pet hate of mine in the game. Red card should be given for a challenge like that.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Ryan Woods red card on 06:24 - Nov 24 with 2620 viewsSydneyRs

Similar to when that Italian defender hauled back Saka late in the Euro final and so many people found it hilarious. When its as blatant as that should be a red for me. He did it because he knew he would get away with it.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 6:27]
Ryan Woods red card on 07:21 - Nov 24 with 2569 viewsSK_hoops

Ryan Woods red card on 06:24 - Nov 24 by SydneyRs

Similar to when that Italian defender hauled back Saka late in the Euro final and so many people found it hilarious. When its as blatant as that should be a red for me. He did it because he knew he would get away with it.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 6:27]

That wound me up so much. The constant 'that's the Italian way' sort of comments throughout that tournament in an almost jokey fashion got to me too.
Ryan Woods red card on 07:34 - Nov 24 with 2554 viewsessextaxiboy

Gary O Neill did exactly that at Wembley .... Red
Ryan Woods red card on 08:29 - Nov 24 with 2438 viewsgazza1

Just a trip of sorts.......yellow. If PP says Willocks kick out at a player at B'mouth is a yellow then this must only be a yellow.
Ryan Woods red card on 08:38 - Nov 24 with 2442 viewsRs_Holy

Ryan Woods red card on 08:29 - Nov 24 by gazza1

Just a trip of sorts.......yellow. If PP says Willocks kick out at a player at B'mouth is a yellow then this must only be a yellow.

if refs are going to be consistent and give reds for those types of challenges I will be happy... (the player did come across as a bit of a knob).
Ryan Woods red card on 09:06 - Nov 24 with 2358 viewsgazza1

Ryan Woods red card on 08:38 - Nov 24 by Rs_Holy

if refs are going to be consistent and give reds for those types of challenges I will be happy... (the player did come across as a bit of a knob).

There will be a lot of red cards though.....but consistency is the key.
Ryan Woods red card on 09:27 - Nov 24 with 2327 viewsPinnerPaul

Consistency IS the key, as is adhering to the LOTG.

Red card for 'cynical' challenges that get on your nerves or are somehow 'unsporting' just aren't in the LOTG.

7 reasons for a red card - all clearly defined, ref can't go round making up his own rules.
Login to get fewer ads

Ryan Woods red card on 09:44 - Nov 24 with 2291 viewsHAYESBOY

Start giving reds for those type of fouls and they will stop doing it.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Ryan Woods red card on 09:46 - Nov 24 with 2288 viewsrrrspricey

Ryan Woods red card on 09:27 - Nov 24 by PinnerPaul

Red card for 'cynical' challenges that get on your nerves or are somehow 'unsporting' just aren't in the LOTG.

7 reasons for a red card - all clearly defined, ref can't go round making up his own rules.

Agree about consistency PP but something needs to be done.

Whether it's deliberately fouling an opponent (don't see why there should be a distinction between being the last man/denying a goal scoring opportunity or not) or diving, cheating is cheating and should be dealt with as such with an automatic red and a lengthy ban.

Its a real blight on the game we all love and needs to be stamped out
Ryan Woods red card on 10:10 - Nov 24 with 2220 viewsgazza1

What posters are wanting is a 'non contact sport'.......not for me.
Ryan Woods red card on 10:14 - Nov 24 with 2238 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ryan Woods red card on 09:27 - Nov 24 by PinnerPaul

Hmm... here are the seven:

S1 is guilty of serious foul play
S2 is guilty of violent conduct
S3 spits at an opponent or any other person
S4 denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
S5 denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
S6 uses offensive, insulting or abusive language
S7 receives a second yellow card in the same match

Woods's red card arguably falls into either of the first two Pinner. He's not making up his own rules at all, it's perfectly valid to have decided that challenge is serious foul play or violent conduct - after all, what is violent conduct if it's not kicking someone without any intention at all of playing the ball? And what's serious foul play if it's not a tackle from behind, not even close to the ball, with the express attention of bringing a player down?

So I'm not sure I agree with you there. Laughabvle even to defend it when you look at S6 - every week you say how all refs ignore this stuff, so it's fine. Isn't that 'making up your own rules'?

Bare bones.

Ryan Woods red card on 10:28 - Nov 24 with 2216 viewsnix

I agree with you Antti. Whether or not it's usually given, it should be given. It happens quite a lot in the Championship, I remember it happened with Johansen. Not saying QPR players haven't done it too.

Mistimed/late tackles are different but that was clearly zero attempt to get the ball. Why is it any different kicking someone when they're stationary or moving? In fact it's worse when they're moving as they're more likely to be injured.
Ryan Woods red card on 10:32 - Nov 24 with 2206 viewsozranger

Ryan Woods red card on 10:14 - Nov 24 by Antti_Heinola

S4 denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
S5 denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Woods's red card arguably falls into either of the first two Pinner. He's not making up his own rules at all, it's perfectly valid to have decided that challenge is serious foul play or violent conduct - after all, what is violent conduct if it's not kicking someone without any intention at all of playing the ball? And what's serious foul play if it's not a tackle from behind, not even close to the ball, with the express attention of bringing a player down?

So I'm not sure I agree with you there. Laughabvle even to defend it when you look at S6 - every week you say how all refs ignore this stuff, so it's fine. Isn't that 'making up your own rules'?

Back in the mid-90s FIFA put out that almost any tackle from behind was an automatic send off. That caused no end of interesting decisions and yet, what it was doing was to halt just what Woods did, the cynical hacks without being close to the ball.

Let's first answer some of your questions. "Violent conduct" is generally something well away from the ball. Like Barton in too many situations or the mad Frenchman, Zidane. "Serious Foul Play" occurs in relation to the game itself, like high feet going in for a tackle that could or does break a leg, etc.

I agree about No. 6 which we see totally ignored at the higher levels. I do also remember when this was being heavily imposed in the mid-90s where I was and there were a number of send-offs in the first few months for people just saying a swear word.

The question here is whether the referee considered the foul "serious foul play" and if so, then a red card is warranted. If not, then only a caution or less should have occurred. I will not make any decision as to this as there is an element of adjudication to the decision.
Ryan Woods red card on 10:44 - Nov 24 with 2180 viewsQPRSteve

The whole Birmingham team should have been sent off for an offence against fashion. That kit is appalling.
Ryan Woods red card on 11:34 - Nov 24 with 2098 viewsgazza1

Ryan Woods red card on 10:28 - Nov 24 by nix

I agree with you Antti. Whether or not it's usually given, it should be given. It happens quite a lot in the Championship, I remember it happened with Johansen. Not saying QPR players haven't done it too.

Mistimed/late tackles are different but that was clearly zero attempt to get the ball. Why is it any different kicking someone when they're stationary or moving? In fact it's worse when they're moving as they're more likely to be injured.

Apparently.....you can kick someone and not get sent off!!!!!....so no red!!!!!
Ryan Woods red card on 14:23 - Nov 24 with 1944 viewsNorthernr

I’m torn. In general I’m with Gaz on this. Less refereeing, more contact, fewer cards, more tackles. It’s not an episode of watercolour challenge.

However, like Antti, I am rather despairing at the growth and celebration of shithousing. Sometimes you need to commit a cynical foul, I wish we did it a bit more, but more and more you’re seeing players, like Woods, properly hack a bloke down apparently safe in the knowledge that it’ll just be a yellow. James Linington, good referee, sent Henri Lansbury off for one of these at Villa the other year and it got overturned on appeal which was a shame IMO and also quite dangerous.

Where do we stand on Stef’s brutal takedown of Mighten in the Forest game last week?
Ryan Woods red card on 15:21 - Nov 24 with 1850 viewskensalriser

How about Dickie's yellow v Luton? No attempt to get the ball there.

I don't really agree that football is a contact sport. Yes, there is some contact but it's not central to the game in the way it is in rugby. A petulant little kick out shouldn't be a red because one, it isn't really violent and two, it doesn't gain a competitive advantage. Using your hands to deliberately haul down an opponent very much does gain a competitive advantage, however. Not only that, it's calculated and premeditated and it's happening more often because players see that the benefit is worth more than the cost. The punishment isn't enough of a deterrent.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ryan Woods red card on 15:28 - Nov 24 with 1822 viewsderbyhoop

Ryan Woods red card on 14:23 - Nov 24 by Northernr

I’m torn. In general I’m with Gaz on this. Less refereeing, more contact, fewer cards, more tackles. It’s not an episode of watercolour challenge.

However, like Antti, I am rather despairing at the growth and celebration of shithousing. Sometimes you need to commit a cynical foul, I wish we did it a bit more, but more and more you’re seeing players, like Woods, properly hack a bloke down apparently safe in the knowledge that it’ll just be a yellow. James Linington, good referee, sent Henri Lansbury off for one of these at Villa the other year and it got overturned on appeal which was a shame IMO and also quite dangerous.

Where do we stand on Stef’s brutal takedown of Mighten in the Forest game last week?

Orange card?
At least a yellow, but not enough for a red.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ryan Woods red card on 16:01 - Nov 24 with 1761 viewsE17hoop

I'd like to see 10 minute sin bins for yellows - keepers would get a shift on when they're time wasting.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Ryan Woods red card on 16:21 - Nov 24 with 1724 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ryan Woods red card on 14:23 - Nov 24 by Northernr

Yeah, I'm also in the less refereeing more contact camp, but I do think this is different. There *is* a difference between hustling for the ball, a late tackle that is genuinely late, and Woods chasing a player, giving up and deliberately hacking when still 3 yards from the ball. To me, at least. Stef's one looked really bad, but I'm over the other side - I don't know if he'd have a case of at least attempting to take the ball - I suspect not. Got to say, the way their lad went over I wouldn't have been shocked to see a red. Dickie's the other night you could argue was not endangering the player at least.

Bare bones.

Ryan Woods red card on 16:33 - Nov 24 with 1683 viewsPinnerPaul

Ryan Woods red card on 10:14 - Nov 24 by Antti_Heinola

I haven't seen this one, was just opposing the calls for pull backs and deliberate fouls (like Rob Dickies the other night?) to be red.

It can't be SFP or VC, has to be one or the other.

No attempt to play the ball or the ball nowhere near, then it violent conduct.

Excessive force and/or endanger safety of opponent its SFP.

Doesn't deny a gs opportunity but just 'isn't cricket' like Chellini's or Dickie's isn't SFP, DOGSO or VC was the main point I was making.
Ryan Woods red card on 16:39 - Nov 24 with 1660 viewsPinnerPaul

Ryan Woods red card on 15:21 - Nov 24 by kensalriser

How about Dickie's yellow v Luton? No attempt to get the ball there.

I don't really agree that football is a contact sport. Yes, there is some contact but it's not central to the game in the way it is in rugby. A petulant little kick out shouldn't be a red because one, it isn't really violent and two, it doesn't gain a competitive advantage. Using your hands to deliberately haul down an opponent very much does gain a competitive advantage, however. Not only that, it's calculated and premeditated and it's happening more often because players see that the benefit is worth more than the cost. The punishment isn't enough of a deterrent.

"A petulant little kick out shouldn't be a red because one, it isn't really violent and two, it doesn't gain a competitive advantage"

Would you mind continuing the argument with Gazza, because we're both bored silly with each other's view on it now!
Ryan Woods red card on 16:51 - Nov 24 with 1636 viewsPinnerPaul

Back to the Ryan Woods card.

A referee on RefChat sums it up much better than me

"To be fair to the player here and players in all levels of football, I think most want a red card for tackles like this where the sole intention is to foul to SPA whilst the ball is miles away. Fans want it too imo. But the issue here is we are not there yet. This has been a yellow card for practically every referee in world football at all levels for years and years. Therefore, I can see why the player and his team are so angry.

Of course I can see the SFP angle to this, and in time these types of tackles will probably be reds. But imo this needs to be a directive from above communicated to all stakeholders at the start of the season. This almost feels like a rogue incident.

And to repeat, I do want to see a red for these challenges, but its very clear that it would normally be yellow and therefore the anger from the effected team is understandable."
Ryan Woods red card on 18:37 - Nov 24 with 1494 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ryan Woods red card on 16:51 - Nov 24 by PinnerPaul

Back to the Ryan Woods card.

A referee on RefChat sums it up much better than me

"To be fair to the player here and players in all levels of football, I think most want a red card for tackles like this where the sole intention is to foul to SPA whilst the ball is miles away. Fans want it too imo. But the issue here is we are not there yet. This has been a yellow card for practically every referee in world football at all levels for years and years. Therefore, I can see why the player and his team are so angry.

Of course I can see the SFP angle to this, and in time these types of tackles will probably be reds. But imo this needs to be a directive from above communicated to all stakeholders at the start of the season. This almost feels like a rogue incident.

And to repeat, I do want to see a red for these challenges, but its very clear that it would normally be yellow and therefore the anger from the effected team is understandable."

If I was a billionaire I'd pay all the best players in the world to compete in a tournament with no cards or suspensions, and all the performance enhancing drugs they need.

Imagine Mbappe doing 100m in 8 seconds before Virgil Van Dijk kicks him in the bollocks from behind just as he pulls his foot back and the ref waves play on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024