Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR History help 15:07 - Nov 29 with 2029 viewswelwynranger

I have a framed cartoon history of QPR.
It goes from 1882 to present. Lots of interesting facts, some I knew , some I have googled and found to be correct.
However their is a reference to
The Portland Controversy.

Can't find any reference to it
Anyone on here know anything?
QPR History help on 15:08 - Nov 29 with 2026 viewswelwynranger

Sorry. Should have said
The Pentland Controversy
QPR History help on 15:28 - Nov 29 with 1959 viewsTheChef

QPR History help on 15:08 - Nov 29 by welwynranger

Sorry. Should have said
The Pentland Controversy

Dunno. This?

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2013/10/it-aint-all-lavender-the-life-story-of-a-very-or

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

QPR History help on 17:31 - Nov 29 with 1815 viewsM40R

Is there a date for the "Pentland controversy"?
Fred Pentland only played for us for a season but seems to have been the Dave Thomas of his day.
QPR History help on 17:51 - Nov 29 with 1772 viewsCiderwithRsie

QPR History help on 15:28 - Nov 29 by TheChef

Dunno. This?

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2013/10/it-aint-all-lavender-the-life-story-of-a-very-or

That's a great read. Sounds like it might be "the controversy" due to his reference to being on Blackburn's books while at Brentford, and Blackburn therefore being entitled to a fee if Brentford sold him, but there being no fee when he signed for QPR because Brentford had terminated his contract for no obvious reason - he doesn't mention it but you'd imagine Bl;ackburn were pretty peed off with Brentford.

If we but knew, Blackburn have probably carried a grudge since 1907 and refused to mention Brentford's name over the Club PA ever since
QPR History help on 18:03 - Nov 29 with 1749 viewsM40R

Whatever, he went on to be a innovative European football manager, still fondly remembered in Spain - https://mrpentland.com/mr-pentland

He was also interned in Germany for the entire first world war.

A few possible "controversies" there maybe but not sure if they count in a QPR historY
QPR History help on 18:33 - Nov 29 with 1706 viewsaston_hoop

QPR History help on 18:03 - Nov 29 by M40R

Whatever, he went on to be a innovative European football manager, still fondly remembered in Spain - https://mrpentland.com/mr-pentland

He was also interned in Germany for the entire first world war.

A few possible "controversies" there maybe but not sure if they count in a QPR historY

I know not exactly relevant to this thread but I absolutely love these stories of early English managers in Spain. This is my local club in Barcelona, 4th tier but big cup game against a Segunda team on wed and of course with an English history

http://www.ceeuropa.cat/english/our-history/ralph-kirby-the-first-manager-of-the

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

QPR History help on 19:01 - Nov 29 with 1650 viewsCheshireR

One of our most interesting former players despite Fred only playing the one season for QPR in 1907-08.
Not a bad one either as we won the Southern League and held Football League Champions Manchester Utd to a 1.1 draw in the season ending Charity Shield game.
During that season QPR had two players selected for the North v South match in Manchester. This was effectively the trial game for England selection from which Evelyn Lintott gained his and QPR's first England cap.
Fred Pentland went on to play for England the following season, by which time he had moved to Middlesbrough.
'"Mister" Pentland went on to successfully manage in Spain and is still revered in Bilbao. His famous bowler hat resides to this day in their club museum.
As for the 'Pentland controversy' I'm not sure what this refers to.
It possibly refers to Fred's request to play in the Charity Shield replay, which was held at the beginning of the following 1908-09 season. This was turned down as he was no longer a QPR player.
It may also refer to the fact that Middlesbrough had to pay a transfer fee to both QPR and Blackburn Rovers. The latter still holding his league registration.
QPR History help on 19:03 - Nov 29 with 1642 viewsBoston

QPR History help on 18:33 - Nov 29 by aston_hoop

I know not exactly relevant to this thread but I absolutely love these stories of early English managers in Spain. This is my local club in Barcelona, 4th tier but big cup game against a Segunda team on wed and of course with an English history

http://www.ceeuropa.cat/english/our-history/ralph-kirby-the-first-manager-of-the

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

QPR History help on 19:05 - Nov 29 with 1642 viewsDavieQPR

In 1908 Ranger after winning the Southern League resigned from it and applied to join the Football League. Spurs who had finished 7 places and 10 points behind were promoted instead leaving Rs without a league to play in. The Southern League eventually increased their numbers to 21 and let us back in. As the fixture list had already been published we had to play all our fixtures midweek. As there were no such thing as floodlights this meant quite a loss in revenue. This was alleviated by selling Pentland to Middlesbrough for a club record fee of £350.
QPR History help on 19:33 - Nov 29 with 1604 viewsT_Block

Yes my grandad told me about this.he didi not support them at the time born 1901,his first season was 20-21.I still have the season handbook for that year.

His other story was the Sheffield Utd handball goal in the FA Cup that year.He was on the touchline and saw their forward punch a cross into the net.Refs were easily conned in those days as well.
QPR History help on 10:48 - Jan 16 with 1014 viewsenfieldargh

I got the cartoon by Richard Argent for Christmas

www.footballcartoonhistories.co.uk

Was looking at it just now, noticed the Pentland Controversy reference and this thread comes up on google.

There are cartoon figures of QPR cheer leaders called the Double Blues? Dont remember them

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

QPR History help on 12:15 - Jan 16 with 937 viewsDavieQPR

QPR History help on 10:48 - Jan 16 by enfieldargh

I got the cartoon by Richard Argent for Christmas

www.footballcartoonhistories.co.uk

Was looking at it just now, noticed the Pentland Controversy reference and this thread comes up on google.

There are cartoon figures of QPR cheer leaders called the Double Blues? Dont remember them

Wasn't that a Briatore/Ecclestone thing?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024