Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Patel 13:09 - Dec 4 with 2034 viewsozranger

Only third time ever.

All ten wickets in one innings against India in India. Great achievement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59485301
Patel on 13:16 - Dec 4 with 2014 viewsMrSheen

Chance to beat Jim Laker. Booooo to the first of his team mates to take a wicket.
Patel on 13:41 - Dec 4 with 1964 viewsjohnhoop

For New Zealand to be bowled out for 62 it looks like it must be a similar wicket to the dirt tracks that England played on last Winter.
Patel on 14:59 - Dec 4 with 1861 viewsBoston

Not a cricket fan though reasonably familiar with the game, but I have a question for the older duffers. In my youth, county cricket had six balls an over, test cricket had four. Then I recall them changing the test variety to six in the lates 70’s. Are my recollections correct?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Patel on 15:12 - Dec 4 with 1831 viewsPinnerR

Patel on 14:59 - Dec 4 by Boston

Not a cricket fan though reasonably familiar with the game, but I have a question for the older duffers. In my youth, county cricket had six balls an over, test cricket had four. Then I recall them changing the test variety to six in the lates 70’s. Are my recollections correct?

The last time that England Test teams had four ball overs was in 1888. How old are you?
Patel on 15:31 - Dec 4 with 1784 viewsM40R

I remember that Australia only had 8 ball overs until the 70's.

But the young duffers will now tell you that in the new Hundred format pioneered so crassly by the ECB, the "over" is abolished as too confusing to modern thinking. But although abolished, teams still act as if an over had ended after 10 balls! A bowler can however bowl 5 balls or 10 balls, but must then act as if the non existent over is over...
Patel on 18:54 - Dec 4 with 1619 viewsTGRRRSSS

Patel on 14:59 - Dec 4 by Boston

I'm not sure I think at the time of Bodyline for example, it was 8 balls per over, but only 3 days test.
Patel on 19:15 - Dec 4 with 1585 viewsloftus77

Patel on 18:54 - Dec 4 by TGRRRSSS

I'm not sure I think at the time of Bodyline for example, it was 8 balls per over, but only 3 days test.

No - in 1932-33, Tests were timeless Down Under. There wasn't a drawn Ashes test in Australia between the 2 world wars. I think England won one test in the glorious 1928-29 series as the 8th day dawned....Tests in England were 3 days in this period, hence loads of draws at home (England won the famous 5-test 1926 series 1-0).

I think in the Bodyline series it was 6-ball overs but I could be wrong - certainly 8-ball overs were the norm in Australia in the 50s and 60s.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 19:16]
Patel on 19:59 - Dec 4 with 1515 viewsCamberleyR

Patel on 19:15 - Dec 4 by loftus77

No - in 1932-33, Tests were timeless Down Under. There wasn't a drawn Ashes test in Australia between the 2 world wars. I think England won one test in the glorious 1928-29 series as the 8th day dawned....Tests in England were 3 days in this period, hence loads of draws at home (England won the famous 5-test 1926 series 1-0).

I think in the Bodyline series it was 6-ball overs but I could be wrong - certainly 8-ball overs were the norm in Australia in the 50s and 60s.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 19:16]

You're correct that in the Bodyline series it was six ball overs. Australia went to eight ball overs just after the first world war and stuck with them for sixty years until 1978/79 apart from a period of a few years in the late 20s/early 30s

https://acscricket.com/?page_id=464

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024