Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Baddiel 21:21 - Dec 13 with 5557 viewsPaddyhoops

Cracking programme on BBC 2 about the rise and rise of social media platforms over the last twenty years.
There's not much to recommend it.
Quiet frightening really.
David Baddiel on 21:28 - Dec 13 with 4353 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He's not my cup of tea to be honest, but shall watch.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 21:36]
David Baddiel on 21:41 - Dec 13 with 4297 viewsPaddyhoops

David Baddiel on 21:28 - Dec 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

He's not my cup of tea to be honest, but shall watch.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 21:36]

It appears a lot in replies on his Twitter account unsurprisingly.
Glad I didn't have my teenage years blighted by social media and the huge amount of grief it brings.
More innocent times thankfully!!
In Fairness the program is not necessarily about him but the pros and cons of social media. There aren't many pros!!
David Baddiel on 21:44 - Dec 13 with 4283 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

David Baddiel on 21:41 - Dec 13 by Paddyhoops

It appears a lot in replies on his Twitter account unsurprisingly.
Glad I didn't have my teenage years blighted by social media and the huge amount of grief it brings.
More innocent times thankfully!!
In Fairness the program is not necessarily about him but the pros and cons of social media. There aren't many pros!!

Sorry, edited my reply just as you wrote yours.

I both depend on it for work and resent it. Could be regulated better that's for sure.
David Baddiel on 22:27 - Dec 13 with 4156 viewsdistortR

David Baddiel on 21:44 - Dec 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sorry, edited my reply just as you wrote yours.

I both depend on it for work and resent it. Could be regulated better that's for sure.

good edit, I think
David Baddiel on 00:21 - Dec 14 with 3998 viewsToast_R

Went to see his Trolls: Not the Dolls standup last month in Guildford. All based around his Twitter feed and funny replies and also some really shocking ones. Very good though. Always liked Baddiel since Mary Whitehouse days. A comic who has evolved throughout the decades and hasn't really gone quiet at any point. Also highly recommend his latest book Jews Don't Count. Short but one I couldn't put down once I started it. Too bad he's a Chelsea fan.
David Baddiel on 01:10 - Dec 14 with 3971 viewsJigsore

a pathetic little man who's somehow making a second career out of saying dumb shit online and then crying about it

has he apologised to Jason Lee yet?
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 1:10]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

David Baddiel on 01:18 - Dec 14 with 3953 viewsjohncharles

A comedian that isn’t funny. Horrible little man.
Be careful what you wish when comes to social media. Look at all countries now and in history that have had full control of the media.

Strong and stable my arse.

David Baddiel on 07:23 - Dec 14 with 3790 viewsPaddyhoops

David Baddiel on 01:10 - Dec 14 by Jigsore

a pathetic little man who's somehow making a second career out of saying dumb shit online and then crying about it

has he apologised to Jason Lee yet?
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 1:10]

He has apologized countless times to Jason Lee as he said in the documentary.
I don't agree with some of his observations but he's entitled to his opinion and nobody deserves some of the horrendous abuse he's received.
Login to get fewer ads

David Baddiel on 07:48 - Dec 14 with 3715 viewsstevec

Long before social media I seem to recall him dishing it out on a regular basis, the difference then was the public didn’t have the means of a ‘right’ to reply.

I suspect that’s what he really dislikes, much like most celebrities.
David Baddiel on 09:31 - Dec 14 with 3582 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

David Baddiel on 07:23 - Dec 14 by Paddyhoops

I don't agree with some of his observations but he's entitled to his opinion and nobody deserves some of the horrendous abuse he's received.

Below is a good example of why I’m going to watch with an open mind.

The abuse he received is horrible, and needs to be tackled. I just don’t think he’s the right guy to call it out bearing in mind his own history of bullying and punching down in his comedy.

Alastair Campbell the same on the theme of politics and current affairs. Imagine having the front to lecture anyone on politics in the wake of enabling a million Iraqi dead.

[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 9:33]
David Baddiel on 10:19 - Dec 14 with 3466 viewsLythamR

I watched it, it doesn't matter whether you like, loath or are indifferent to Baddiel himself the programme is very interesting i thought. Particularly the comments by David Bowie on the advent of Social Media
David Baddiel on 11:02 - Dec 14 with 3412 viewsNW5Hoop

David Baddiel on 09:31 - Dec 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Below is a good example of why I’m going to watch with an open mind.

The abuse he received is horrible, and needs to be tackled. I just don’t think he’s the right guy to call it out bearing in mind his own history of bullying and punching down in his comedy.

Alastair Campbell the same on the theme of politics and current affairs. Imagine having the front to lecture anyone on politics in the wake of enabling a million Iraqi dead.

[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 9:33]

Baddiel's someone who has said and done a lot of stupid and offensive things. But unlike most people who have said and done a lot of stupid and offensive things, he appears to have thought about their stupidity and the offence they caused, and has often apologised for his past transgressions.
David Baddiel on 11:28 - Dec 14 with 3363 viewsBklynRanger

I watched it with the sound down because I couldn't even be bothered to hear about social media. Maybe I'll try it with the sound up at some point.

Always enjoyed the Skinner and Baddiel double act I must say - I wonder how much of this unpleasantness was a very misguided attempt at edgy humour? No idea. I do remember him saying he'd suffered most of his life from insomnia which has always stuck in my mind for some reason.
David Baddiel on 11:48 - Dec 14 with 3312 viewsToast_R

David Baddiel on 11:28 - Dec 14 by BklynRanger

I watched it with the sound down because I couldn't even be bothered to hear about social media. Maybe I'll try it with the sound up at some point.

Always enjoyed the Skinner and Baddiel double act I must say - I wonder how much of this unpleasantness was a very misguided attempt at edgy humour? No idea. I do remember him saying he'd suffered most of his life from insomnia which has always stuck in my mind for some reason.

Newman and Baddiel in Pieces was a funny but strange show. The History Today sketches were massive when I was a teenager, everyone was quoting it. Their breakup tour at the time was one of the biggest comedy gigs of all time at Wembley Arena. He then goes on to co-write on the best football anthems of all time.

In his latter years he's still producing excellent content. His Holocaust Deniers Documentary a couple of years back was brilliantly done as well. And yet the progressive left seem to have it in for him because he dared to question a bit of their hypocrisy on certain matters.
David Baddiel on 11:55 - Dec 14 with 3282 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

David Baddiel on 11:02 - Dec 14 by NW5Hoop

Baddiel's someone who has said and done a lot of stupid and offensive things. But unlike most people who have said and done a lot of stupid and offensive things, he appears to have thought about their stupidity and the offence they caused, and has often apologised for his past transgressions.

I just finished it, and yes you are right.

I certainly have more sympathy for his views than I thought I would. It’s made me question the motivation for my own behaviour on here, and on social media in general. In a LfW first, I think I may have changed my mind about a lot of things I believed going in.

That said, there is still a huge element of hypocrisy and wilful ignorance in the behaviour of a certain demographic who think their carefully crafted libels and defamations on social media are somehow less abusive than a scaffy from Barnsley calling Diane Abbott a thick black cnt. They aren’t, they are just as damaging.

This will roll some eyes, but the elephant in the room is the profit motive. Of course Twitter will ignore calls for change as long as abuse delivers profits, which it does.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 12:11]
David Baddiel on 11:59 - Dec 14 with 3275 viewsBklynRanger

I completely forgot about Newman and Baddiel! - "That's you that is" was very popular at school.
('@' Toast sorry...)
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 12:00]
David Baddiel on 12:30 - Dec 14 with 3176 viewsMrSheen

I deleted Twitter a few years ago because it was taking too much time and not good for my mood. I recently reloaded it as the only way to contact my bank in Ireland about problems with their App (first world problems...) and I've found it more annoying and intrusive than ever.

I don't remember before having to nominate three "interests" before being allowed to create an account - I think I added South Dakota from the unappetising list as one I would find particularly easy to ignore - and within minutes I was being bombarded with boring rubbish on all sorts of other things they bizarrely thought I would find interesting...such as Formula One, cryptocoin, Britney Spears. When I did weaken and look up a few people I did find interesting, I was snowed under with steadily more extreme attention seeking posts, all in one direction - antivax in my case, one from Don Trump Junior, though I really don't understand why. I'm furiously cancelling as many suggestions of theirs as I can and being very careful about what I pursue, but I imagine I will have binned it again by Christmas.

What's interesting and valuable about this site is that though we are drawn to it by a common interest, we clearly have a huge range of experiences and views about everything else, from Palestine through ginger hair to cheese. This is apparently rare, fragile and delicate, to get such a strange crowd in one place. Kudos to Clive for recognising that the free speech ideal has its limits online given the lack of the restraints that normally operate when people are face-to-face. So some things are let go, others are stomped instantly, disagreement is allowed but insults (beyond a certain level) aren't.

I feel that coming on here reminds me how to speak to people who don't share my beliefs, other Rangers fans and not my enemies, how to speak up for myself without trying to insult or ridicule others, how to present an argument without insisting on winning it, to cope with dissent rather than looking for a boss to ban or destroy it. It's something that needs to be practised, and isn't possible in the echo chamber of much of social media.

At the risk of losing any residual sympathy, a finishing quote from Edmund Burke:
“Manners are of more importance than laws,” Burke wrote. “Upon them, in a great measure, the laws depend. The law touches us but here and there, and now and then. Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarise or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation, like that of the air we breathe in. They give their whole form and colour to our lives. According to their quality, they aid morals, they supply them, or they totally destroy them.”
David Baddiel on 13:11 - Dec 14 with 3079 viewsLythamR

David Baddiel on 12:30 - Dec 14 by MrSheen

I deleted Twitter a few years ago because it was taking too much time and not good for my mood. I recently reloaded it as the only way to contact my bank in Ireland about problems with their App (first world problems...) and I've found it more annoying and intrusive than ever.

I don't remember before having to nominate three "interests" before being allowed to create an account - I think I added South Dakota from the unappetising list as one I would find particularly easy to ignore - and within minutes I was being bombarded with boring rubbish on all sorts of other things they bizarrely thought I would find interesting...such as Formula One, cryptocoin, Britney Spears. When I did weaken and look up a few people I did find interesting, I was snowed under with steadily more extreme attention seeking posts, all in one direction - antivax in my case, one from Don Trump Junior, though I really don't understand why. I'm furiously cancelling as many suggestions of theirs as I can and being very careful about what I pursue, but I imagine I will have binned it again by Christmas.

What's interesting and valuable about this site is that though we are drawn to it by a common interest, we clearly have a huge range of experiences and views about everything else, from Palestine through ginger hair to cheese. This is apparently rare, fragile and delicate, to get such a strange crowd in one place. Kudos to Clive for recognising that the free speech ideal has its limits online given the lack of the restraints that normally operate when people are face-to-face. So some things are let go, others are stomped instantly, disagreement is allowed but insults (beyond a certain level) aren't.

I feel that coming on here reminds me how to speak to people who don't share my beliefs, other Rangers fans and not my enemies, how to speak up for myself without trying to insult or ridicule others, how to present an argument without insisting on winning it, to cope with dissent rather than looking for a boss to ban or destroy it. It's something that needs to be practised, and isn't possible in the echo chamber of much of social media.

At the risk of losing any residual sympathy, a finishing quote from Edmund Burke:
“Manners are of more importance than laws,” Burke wrote. “Upon them, in a great measure, the laws depend. The law touches us but here and there, and now and then. Manners are what vex or soothe, corrupt or purify, exalt or debase, barbarise or refine us, by a constant, steady, uniform, insensible operation, like that of the air we breathe in. They give their whole form and colour to our lives. According to their quality, they aid morals, they supply them, or they totally destroy them.”

Good post

I have twitter but all notifications off and just go on if looking for something specific or for work.

South Dakota is a lovely state, I wont list all the great places to see and things to do as I am sure you are about to be informed in the coming days :)
David Baddiel on 13:52 - Dec 14 with 3002 viewsMrSheen

David Baddiel on 13:11 - Dec 14 by LythamR

Good post

I have twitter but all notifications off and just go on if looking for something specific or for work.

South Dakota is a lovely state, I wont list all the great places to see and things to do as I am sure you are about to be informed in the coming days :)

No doubt, but I certainly hate those North Dakota knuts already.
David Baddiel on 14:32 - Dec 14 with 2953 viewsJigsore

David Baddiel on 07:23 - Dec 14 by Paddyhoops

he's never apologised to Jason Lee, he's done a bit of hand-wringing in newspapers but never had the balls to look him in the eye and say sorry.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

David Baddiel on 17:20 - Dec 14 with 2775 viewsdanehoop

Always felt twitter was something designed for the benefit of those who would write similar "humour" or comments in toilet stalls. Not seen much evidence that is any different.

Never knowingly understood

David Baddiel on 19:12 - Dec 14 with 2636 viewsToast_R

David Baddiel on 14:32 - Dec 14 by Jigsore

he's never apologised to Jason Lee, he's done a bit of hand-wringing in newspapers but never had the balls to look him in the eye and say sorry.

An apology is never enough today though is it?

Judging comedy from 30 years ago by todays acceptable standards opens a whole new can of worms. Where would you stop?

Should Ray Houghton, Skinner and Baddiel also look every person of Irish heritage in the eye and apologise for this sketch or just accept it was comedy from nearly three decades ago, funny at the time and that perhaps we've all moved on a bit?

David Baddiel on 19:44 - Dec 14 with 2583 viewsPaddyhoops

David Baddiel on 19:12 - Dec 14 by Toast_R

An apology is never enough today though is it?

Judging comedy from 30 years ago by todays acceptable standards opens a whole new can of worms. Where would you stop?

Should Ray Houghton, Skinner and Baddiel also look every person of Irish heritage in the eye and apologise for this sketch or just accept it was comedy from nearly three decades ago, funny at the time and that perhaps we've all moved on a bit?

Well I'm Irish and I'm not offended by the sketch so it's not offensive.
Other people may think different ways ,
I'm sure they do.
Alf Garnett like to take the piss out of us Irish.
Persosonally I wasn't offended, as for other minorities that's there business and I'm while it was in retrospect it wasn't particularly good. There was only one fool in the show and that was Alf!!
David Baddiel on 20:36 - Dec 14 with 2510 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm not offended either - I didn't find it funny, but I didn't find it offensive either.

Mind you, Houghton's an even bigger clown than I thought he was.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

David Baddiel on 07:45 - Dec 15 with 2258 viewsWatford_Ranger

Exceptionally talented guy across various disciplines. ‘Jews don’t count’ is really worth reading whatever your thoughts on religion or racism and it’s a really quick read.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024