Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crimeate Change 01:13 - Dec 15 with 1827 viewsBoston

Some chunt took a cheque( spelled correctly for British viewers), out of the book which was in my ‘field office’ (the bag I always have with me in the truck). They forged my signature by cleverly taking a utility bill I had on the dashboard and copying the rather distinctive moniker from the check within (gone back American), and farkin’ well done me for for over sixteen grand. The dough went out on Thursday, I didn’t notice until Sunday morning when I was on the phone and up the local Police Dept within 30mins. Today, with no notification from the bank, the missing cash was returned. I called the banks Fraud Dept, I’d swear they were wondering why I was concerned, “you’ve got your money back didn’t ya’…er yeah but I want to fcking well prosecute!
What in fugs name is wrong with the banking world, this ‘crimeate change’ is a joke!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Crimeate Change on 07:12 - Dec 15 with 1675 viewsdistortR

A question - I believe huge amounts of money are stolen from bank accounts on a daily basis, particularly electronically. I talked to a high-flier over here, he said the amount going missing is shocking.
Most of it is recredited by the banks, not so much recovered.
My question is, who funds the difference? Are the banks creating ever more money to cover the loses created in a system they seem desperate to enforce on people?

Boston - yeah they should prosecute, but glad you got your money back. But of course, the USA doesn't seem to prosecute people for theft prop 47 in California is working well!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2021 7:14]
Crimeate Change on 10:05 - Dec 15 with 1497 viewsstevec

Glad you got your money back. Think the banks prefer minimum publicity on this subject.

Happened to me twice, first about 30 years ago for £900, was like the Spanish Inquisition before I got that back. Second time, guess around 2005 got hit for just short of £40k. In that instance I got the lot back in a similar style to yours and I was also determined to follow it up regards prosecution. The British bank concerned made it clear what was going on behind the scenes was none of my business, after many calls it was spelt out they do prosecute it’s just they don’t need me involved in any form. Once they return the money, the crime is against the bank rather than the person.
Crimeate Change on 12:11 - Dec 15 with 1362 viewsCliff

Crimeate Change on 10:05 - Dec 15 by stevec

Glad you got your money back. Think the banks prefer minimum publicity on this subject.

Happened to me twice, first about 30 years ago for £900, was like the Spanish Inquisition before I got that back. Second time, guess around 2005 got hit for just short of £40k. In that instance I got the lot back in a similar style to yours and I was also determined to follow it up regards prosecution. The British bank concerned made it clear what was going on behind the scenes was none of my business, after many calls it was spelt out they do prosecute it’s just they don’t need me involved in any form. Once they return the money, the crime is against the bank rather than the person.

I believe that if you report fraud it is up to the bank to prove otherwise, ie prove you took the money yourself, rather than you prove it wasn't you. They therefore tend to refund quite quickly, it doesn't mean they aren't trying to recover the money. However they are not poor and pass these sort of things off as operating losses, which are ultimately passed on to customers.
Crimeate Change on 12:23 - Dec 15 with 1346 viewskensalriser

One thing’s for sure, you won’t ever leave a cheque book and a document with your signature unattended in close proximity again.

Also, cheques? Join the modern world!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Crimeate Change on 13:45 - Dec 15 with 1275 viewswood_hoop

Got done a few months ago on a CC, some dodgy firm billing my card for £18 every two weeks , never use the card for purchases always offering 0% deals so handy if not paying off any other CC in full at the end of the month.

Done some reaserch on Google and contacted the company doing the billing, long covnersation and all they offered was £18 rebate and to close my account lodged with them.

The other thing the account with them was under my wifes name ?

More chance of me inviting Keith Stroud over for a threesome than me letting my wife loose with my CC details.

They reckoned to offer business computer enhancemant systems ?

Got onto my CC company and explained to them the problem, that I only used my laptop for personel use at home , had never applied for the features offered by the company billing me and to check my record for the neglible purchaces I had ever made on the card over a priod of about 5 years.

Straight away they credited me with the amount taken (£180) not too much thankfully, no hoo ha at all from them.

I did wonder if this was a scam they had knowledge off previously from this company
and were dealing with it legally.

Lesson learnt, was to check regulary monthly statements, there may be a time when it will be me liable for any losses , so many dodgy scams out there.
Crimeate Change on 14:02 - Dec 15 with 1247 viewsPinnerPaul

"Think you'd spot a financial scam if you saw one? Lots of people claim they could. Yet in 2020, £479 million was lost to Authorised Push Payment scams."

This is what I got from Nationwide yesterday.

If you're unsure about making a payment, you can check with them first.

If they say its OK and it turns out to be a scam, they will give you the money themselves.

Pretty good service I would say.
Crimeate Change on 10:39 - Dec 16 with 965 viewsSonofpugwash

Best not to have too much cash in the bank anyway what with the impending crash an' all.
My brother was the "victim" of an insider job.He gets a phone call from his bank about a £5,000 withdrawal on a cheque by a Mr.Khan.Bruv says I didn't authorise that and would you please cancel the cheque.Bank says Mr.Khan is sitting in the lobby to which bruv says "right,keep him there,I'm coming down".Mr.Khan last seen legging it down Kensington High Street at an appreciable rate of knots.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Crimeate Change on 17:38 - Dec 16 with 754 viewsBoston

Crimeate Change on 12:23 - Dec 15 by kensalriser

One thing’s for sure, you won’t ever leave a cheque book and a document with your signature unattended in close proximity again.

Also, cheques? Join the modern world!

We’ll, just for balance and modernity…one of my credit cards got scanned at Westfields Shepherds Bush about two years ago. Someone in Hampshire had a high old time in Offy’s and fast food emporiums before I twigged it.

Login to get fewer ads

Crimeate Change on 17:49 - Dec 16 with 743 viewsBoston

Crimeate Change on 07:12 - Dec 15 by distortR

A question - I believe huge amounts of money are stolen from bank accounts on a daily basis, particularly electronically. I talked to a high-flier over here, he said the amount going missing is shocking.
Most of it is recredited by the banks, not so much recovered.
My question is, who funds the difference? Are the banks creating ever more money to cover the loses created in a system they seem desperate to enforce on people?

Boston - yeah they should prosecute, but glad you got your money back. But of course, the USA doesn't seem to prosecute people for theft prop 47 in California is working well!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2021 7:14]

The relaxation of prosecution for crimes has reached many parts of the US. The local District Attorney in Boston does not think it’s a crime if you steal from a shop, she is of course being promoted by the present administration.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 17:51]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024