Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR NFT 15:42 - Dec 15 with 12244 viewssparkey

I dont know too much about NFT's so cant add much here. Anyone with knowledge?
QPR NFT on 14:50 - Dec 17 with 2626 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm new to this and I'm trying to understand it. How is this worse than selling merchandise?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR NFT on 15:35 - Dec 17 with 2577 viewsE17hoop

QPR NFT on 14:50 - Dec 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm new to this and I'm trying to understand it. How is this worse than selling merchandise?

If you buy a scarf in the club shop you go to the shop and take home a scarf.

If you buy a NFT of a scarf, you go somewhere and trade your money for a token. The exchange rate of that token varies. You use tokens to pay to get an entry in someone's database that you own a picture of a scarf.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

QPR NFT on 15:58 - Dec 17 with 2557 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR NFT on 15:35 - Dec 17 by E17hoop

If you buy a scarf in the club shop you go to the shop and take home a scarf.

If you buy a NFT of a scarf, you go somewhere and trade your money for a token. The exchange rate of that token varies. You use tokens to pay to get an entry in someone's database that you own a picture of a scarf.

But if people are happy to spend their cash on that, as they do on other digital and non-tactile merchandise like online games, how is this worse?

Is there an addiction element to it?

QPR NFT on 16:11 - Dec 17 with 2520 viewsBklynRanger

I've got many more questions than answers too.

e.g. Jordan is talking earlier about someone owning an NFT of Zamorra's goal. WTF is that? It's not the rights to it is it? i.e. if someone shows it in Vietnam they have to pay me (payment in Pho is fine).

Is it just a sort of clip that I own - like a one off picture? And even if I wanted to own it, how would I know there aren't a thousand other eejits around the globe with the same video clip on a phone taped to the wall above their bed beside a one off picture of Linda Lusardi?
QPR NFT on 16:12 - Dec 17 with 2518 viewsLythamR

QPR NFT on 15:58 - Dec 17 by BrianMcCarthy

But if people are happy to spend their cash on that, as they do on other digital and non-tactile merchandise like online games, how is this worse?

I think its the way its marketed and the speculative nature plus quidd have the same amount of facebook followers as a cafe in the scottish highlands and dont respond to questions and these QPR/Quidd ones are NOT NFT's at they stands and neither QPR or quidd can confirm the cost of mining them into a NFT

however

I had a conversation with a nephew (19) about this, my point was thats these things often end up being worth a lot let than people pay for them and something that starts at £5 can end up at 20p or less

his counter was that he realised that but it could also potentially grow in value over time and even if it did go down to 20p he would still have the thing which could grow again in the future possibly

he also pointed out that if i spend £5 on a pint of beer its definitely gone once i have got up and had a piss which doesnt take long at all these days

I hadn't looked at it that way before.
QPR NFT on 16:40 - Dec 17 with 2450 viewswood_hoop

QPR NFT on 16:12 - Dec 17 by LythamR

I think its the way its marketed and the speculative nature plus quidd have the same amount of facebook followers as a cafe in the scottish highlands and dont respond to questions and these QPR/Quidd ones are NOT NFT's at they stands and neither QPR or quidd can confirm the cost of mining them into a NFT

however

I had a conversation with a nephew (19) about this, my point was thats these things often end up being worth a lot let than people pay for them and something that starts at £5 can end up at 20p or less

his counter was that he realised that but it could also potentially grow in value over time and even if it did go down to 20p he would still have the thing which could grow again in the future possibly

he also pointed out that if i spend £5 on a pint of beer its definitely gone once i have got up and had a piss which doesnt take long at all these days

So I am getting this right, its not that much different to a punt at the bookies, you are taking a chance that your NFT purchase gains in value ?

Did see a item on tv where Nike where selling a picture of a pair of pumps this way for $30,000, the owner could photo shop ? a pair on if they wanted to but didnt actually get a physical pair to wear.

Life nowadays is very strange.....
QPR NFT on 17:07 - Dec 17 with 2405 viewsBucksRanger

QPR NFT on 16:40 - Dec 17 by wood_hoop

So I am getting this right, its not that much different to a punt at the bookies, you are taking a chance that your NFT purchase gains in value ?

Did see a item on tv where Nike where selling a picture of a pair of pumps this way for $30,000, the owner could photo shop ? a pair on if they wanted to but didnt actually get a physical pair to wear.

It starts in under 2 hours.

https://qpr.onquidd.com/
QPR NFT on 17:52 - Dec 17 with 2356 viewstoboboly

QPR NFT on 16:40 - Dec 17 by wood_hoop

The problem is that historically NFT's etc have been used to make huge profits by a small amount of people, ie it isn't like ebay;

Person A buys NFT for £5
Person B buys it from them for £100
Person C buys it for £25
Person D buys it for £40

Person A, B and C are the same person. Person D believes the value might fluctuate but actually it is all managed and isn't regulated which means Person A/B/C can grift the fck out of poor fans whom think they are getting something they could potentially trade on.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

QPR NFT on 21:46 - Dec 17 with 2239 viewsLythamR

QPR NFT on 17:52 - Dec 17 by toboboly

The problem is that historically NFT's etc have been used to make huge profits by a small amount of people, ie it isn't like ebay;

Person A buys NFT for £5
Person B buys it from them for £100
Person C buys it for £25
Person D buys it for £40

Person A, B and C are the same person. Person D believes the value might fluctuate but actually it is all managed and isn't regulated which means Person A/B/C can grift the fck out of poor fans whom think they are getting something they could potentially trade on.

apparently according to quidd a Sam McCallum has already sold for $500 and a Willock for $111. The question is why when almost every $5 pack includes a Willock. Bot only that there are 120 currently on resale that you can buy for anything from $1.25.

These market appear to get artificially inflated, I guess you can argue buyer beware but it doesn't feel clean to me
QPR NFT on 22:24 - Dec 17 with 2187 viewsNorthernr

Is this not only going be a thing, but a thing that clogs up all the club’s social channels? That can fck all the way off as well.
QPR NFT on 23:02 - Dec 17 with 2148 viewsaston_hoop

QPR NFT on 22:24 - Dec 17 by Northernr

Is this not only going be a thing, but a thing that clogs up all the club’s social channels? That can fck all the way off as well.

You can probably mute the term 'NFT' on Twitter so as never to see it, then just hoping we don't end up signing someone called Nathan Fortescue-Thompson or something

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

QPR NFT on 00:38 - Dec 18 with 2081 viewsBoston

however

Yeah but...the liver damage is permanent.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR NFT on 08:25 - Dec 18 with 1999 viewsslmrstid

however

If thats the way your nephew is looking at things for his spare cash, then he is far better off investing his money in an ISA.

If he wants to spend a fiver on a shiny picture of Charlie Austin on his computer and never expect anything back to it - go for it.

But if he genuinely thinks "by spending this fiver, I might end up cashing it in for more...." then don't buy an NFT. Go and get and ISA.

Just my view mind!
QPR NFT on 09:31 - Dec 18 with 1958 viewsLythamR

QPR NFT on 08:25 - Dec 18 by slmrstid

If thats the way your nephew is looking at things for his spare cash, then he is far better off investing his money in an ISA.

If he wants to spend a fiver on a shiny picture of Charlie Austin on his computer and never expect anything back to it - go for it.

But if he genuinely thinks "by spending this fiver, I might end up cashing it in for more...." then don't buy an NFT. Go and get and ISA.

Just my view mind!

Well he woudnt buy a shiney Charlie as he is a Blackpool supporter, he would be more likely to go for something with more global appeal

I am not sure many of his age would be tempted by ISA's they look for something with better potential return,
QPR NFT on 10:56 - Dec 18 with 1929 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I understand it all now!

QPR NFT on 11:20 - Dec 18 with 1897 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

QPR NFT on 10:56 - Dec 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I understand it all now!

I’ve got Dom Ball if you fancy dipping your toes in Brian. A snip at $500!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

QPR NFT on 11:44 - Dec 18 with 1864 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

QPR NFT on 11:20 - Dec 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

I’ve got Dom Ball if you fancy dipping your toes in Brian. A snip at $500!

Quick Brian demand is MASSIVE on this one. I wouldn't want you to miss out! 🤯

QPR NFT on 13:51 - Dec 18 with 1754 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR NFT on 15:58 - Dec 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm with you Brian, no one, including Clive, that I can see, has explained how this is somehow 'inappropriate' for the club - like you, I don't understand it, so its a genuine question on my part.
QPR NFT on 13:53 - Dec 18 with 1751 viewsPinnerPaul

however

So its like any investment or a bet come to that, value can go up or down.

Maybe the closest thing is a print of an artwork - some are limited edition - you know there are identical prints out there, but people still buy them.
QPR NFT on 13:55 - Dec 18 with 1748 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR NFT on 22:24 - Dec 17 by Northernr

You still haven't explained your objection, just to repeat I'm not picking a fight, just genuinely interested in what is 'wrong' with them in your eyes?
QPR NFT on 14:06 - Dec 18 with 1721 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR NFT on 13:51 - Dec 18 by PinnerPaul

I'm with you Brian, no one, including Clive, that I can see, has explained how this is somehow 'inappropriate' for the club - like you, I don't understand it, so its a genuine question on my part.

I still don't see it, but I am genuinely open to conversion either way.

QPR NFT on 15:24 - Dec 18 with 1653 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR NFT on 14:06 - Dec 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I still don't see it, but I am genuinely open to conversion either way.

Not for the first time, we see things the same!

Manly Hug emoji - see that's how rubbish I am, I can't even find one of them!
QPR NFT on 16:51 - Dec 18 with 1611 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I guess it'll be interesting to see what club make from this. Is the intention to make enough to pay for a development player or is the aim to pay for a George Cox? I doubt Quidd are in this for beer money personally. Also will be interesting to see who (if anyone) actually bites. Will it be our fans or will it be outsiders.

QPR NFT on 17:31 - Dec 18 with 1565 viewsNorthernr

QPR NFT on 13:55 - Dec 18 by PinnerPaul

You still haven't explained your objection, just to repeat I'm not picking a fight, just genuinely interested in what is 'wrong' with them in your eyes?

My objection is that, while each one is slightly different, as I understand them all these NFT variants, and in a different way Football Index and things like it, are cut from the same cloth.

They're designed to part you from your money, and the more money you give them 'the better the experience gets'. But the experience doesn't exist. It's not something you can hold, own, eat, go to. It's just a company pointing to a piece of thin air and saying "that's worth $100 that bit, get in quick".

So what? If you want to get involved, get involved. If having a little photograph of George Thomas somewhere on your phone is worth £50 to you, and you have £50 in disposable income, what the fck has it got to do with me?

Welll. 1 - They are completely unregulated. Copying of them is unstoppable and rife. As pointed out higher up, if I were so technically minded, there is nothing to stop me setting up a QPR collectible NFT business, selling a Charlie Austin shiny to myself for £10, then selling it to myself for £100, then selling it to myself for £1000, all the time simply passing money between my right hand and my left hand and creating the impression that you might be able to buy it from me for £50 and then sell it for more later. CHARLIE AUSTIN FOR £50, WHAT A BARGAIN, HE WAS A GRAND A MONTH AGO. Actually, no, it was just me all along. In the meantime, you have a picture of Charlie Austin on your phone, and that's it. We saw this with Football Index, there was nothing and nobody to stop the company moving the price of footballers in the game up and down themselves, and their first tactic when they did get in the sht was to just reduce the value of the footballers across the board, taking people's original stakes down with it.

2 - These things are addictive, and designed to be that way. They target the young, and are designed to be that way - most people who are old enough to know this is all a fcking con equally wouldn't be interested anyway. They target people who are already desperate, in a financial hole and looking for some sort of miracle to drag them out. Combine this with football, and FOMO, and you've potentially got a powerful weapon to part young people and desperate people from wads of cash in return for absolutely nothing at all. We've seen how effective and lucrative, and read horror stories, about how much kids have ended up forking out for added extras in computer games, like Fifa, which is similar but even then you can at least say it makes you more competitive in the game. What does this do? What does this achieve? Other than part you from cash with the vague promise that this non existent thing might gain in value, with no protection from somebody at the top pumping and dumping, running multiple accounts to buy and sell from themselves.

Look at the replies to the Tweets QPR have done so far, it's either QPR fans saying "please don't do this QPR" or weird and wonderful "Quidd ambassador" accounts and really obvious, primitive BOTs talking about how brilliant this will be, how they can't wait to buy Chris Willock, how much money they've made previously etc, and replying to a lot of the objections with programmed "why? what's your problem?", often quite aggressive, responses. Again, nothing and nobody to stop Quidd from setting up 2,000 Twitter accounts and BOTs to simply besiege the QPR twitter feed and make out like this is a fcking great opportunity that you're missing out on, pretending they're all millionaires from previous NFTs elsewhere.

I don't particularly like the swathes of gambling advertising across our sport, ae've seen how addictive and damaging that can become, we've seen the economic profile of the areas they place all their shops in, we've seen exactly who they target with their apps and targeted ads (young people, and addicts) and that is at least regulated - this isn't.

QPR should not be involved. They should not be pushing this.

This post has been edited by an administrator
QPR NFT on 17:51 - Dec 18 with 1514 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR NFT on 17:31 - Dec 18 by Northernr

My objection is that, while each one is slightly different, as I understand them all these NFT variants, and in a different way Football Index and things like it, are cut from the same cloth.

They're designed to part you from your money, and the more money you give them 'the better the experience gets'. But the experience doesn't exist. It's not something you can hold, own, eat, go to. It's just a company pointing to a piece of thin air and saying "that's worth $100 that bit, get in quick".

So what? If you want to get involved, get involved. If having a little photograph of George Thomas somewhere on your phone is worth £50 to you, and you have £50 in disposable income, what the fck has it got to do with me?

Welll. 1 - They are completely unregulated. Copying of them is unstoppable and rife. As pointed out higher up, if I were so technically minded, there is nothing to stop me setting up a QPR collectible NFT business, selling a Charlie Austin shiny to myself for £10, then selling it to myself for £100, then selling it to myself for £1000, all the time simply passing money between my right hand and my left hand and creating the impression that you might be able to buy it from me for £50 and then sell it for more later. CHARLIE AUSTIN FOR £50, WHAT A BARGAIN, HE WAS A GRAND A MONTH AGO. Actually, no, it was just me all along. In the meantime, you have a picture of Charlie Austin on your phone, and that's it. We saw this with Football Index, there was nothing and nobody to stop the company moving the price of footballers in the game up and down themselves, and their first tactic when they did get in the sht was to just reduce the value of the footballers across the board, taking people's original stakes down with it.

2 - These things are addictive, and designed to be that way. They target the young, and are designed to be that way - most people who are old enough to know this is all a fcking con equally wouldn't be interested anyway. They target people who are already desperate, in a financial hole and looking for some sort of miracle to drag them out. Combine this with football, and FOMO, and you've potentially got a powerful weapon to part young people and desperate people from wads of cash in return for absolutely nothing at all. We've seen how effective and lucrative, and read horror stories, about how much kids have ended up forking out for added extras in computer games, like Fifa, which is similar but even then you can at least say it makes you more competitive in the game. What does this do? What does this achieve? Other than part you from cash with the vague promise that this non existent thing might gain in value, with no protection from somebody at the top pumping and dumping, running multiple accounts to buy and sell from themselves.

Look at the replies to the Tweets QPR have done so far, it's either QPR fans saying "please don't do this QPR" or weird and wonderful "Quidd ambassador" accounts and really obvious, primitive BOTs talking about how brilliant this will be, how they can't wait to buy Chris Willock, how much money they've made previously etc, and replying to a lot of the objections with programmed "why? what's your problem?", often quite aggressive, responses. Again, nothing and nobody to stop Quidd from setting up 2,000 Twitter accounts and BOTs to simply besiege the QPR twitter feed and make out like this is a fcking great opportunity that you're missing out on, pretending they're all millionaires from previous NFTs elsewhere.

I don't particularly like the swathes of gambling advertising across our sport, ae've seen how addictive and damaging that can become, we've seen the economic profile of the areas they place all their shops in, we've seen exactly who they target with their apps and targeted ads (young people, and addicts) and that is at least regulated - this isn't.

QPR should not be involved. They should not be pushing this.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Thanks Clive - a very reasoned & detailed response, can see the objections now!

You know we differ on 'mainstream' gambling, so we'll leave that one alone! , but thanks again for the insight on NFTs - like Brian, I haven't got an idea how they work, or don't and the associated risks - that's useful - ta!

Please, please SOMEONE, can weget some actual football to discuss in the not too distant future!

I AM still officiating - have games tomorrow and Monday (at time of writing) but no one wants to talk about them!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024