Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations 21:32 - Jan 12 with 4014 viewsmerseyhoop

Evening, off to Berlin in the near future and after any recommendations for bars. We are staying in the Mitte area but also looking to explore other areas in the city. Thanks in advance.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 21:43 - Jan 12 with 3435 viewsMrSheen

20 years since I was there so no bars to recommend, but the Ishtar Gate in the Pergamon museum and the Soviet war memorial at Treptower Park are both jaw-dropping.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 21:47 - Jan 12 with 3413 viewsloftboy

Been a few times recently, mrs is half German and her mum was born there, we stay in Spandau which is the equivalent of a tourist staying in Shepherd’s Bush if visiting London!.
The open top bus tour is interesting and shows you most parts, get the S Bahn to the east and visit the teams is of the wall, some great murals, the Jewish memorial is poignant.
The Beer is the best in Europe, I love the food as well.Enjoy.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:02 - Jan 12 with 3382 viewsdanehoop

I think you are well placed for these bits:

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/unter-den-linden

Checkpoint Charlie is always worth a visit as well.

Would also recommend the visit berlin website that I linked to as being a useful starting point. Great city, easy to get around, but like everywhere else, the Corona virus restrictions are in full swing.

Never knowingly understood

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:29 - Jan 12 with 3344 viewsCiderwithRsie

Surprisingly large number of parks (e.g. Tiergarten, Charlottenburg Palace and gardens) - maybe not your main priority but they make a nice change from all the hectic decadence.

The Teufelsberg is impressive in a weird creepy way - it's the site of the US Cold War listening post, I believe you can go round now (when I went it was still operational) and the whole site is a "hill" made of rubble from the bombing. Not really a fun place for a drink though!
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:31 - Jan 12 with 3332 viewsloftboy

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:02 - Jan 12 by danehoop

I think you are well placed for these bits:

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/unter-den-linden

Checkpoint Charlie is always worth a visit as well.

Would also recommend the visit berlin website that I linked to as being a useful starting point. Great city, easy to get around, but like everywhere else, the Corona virus restrictions are in full swing.

Checkpoint Charlie was the biggest disappointment the first time I went there, funny looking soldiers stamping fake passports, completely underwhelmed. Not sure what I was expecting but it wasn’t what’s there.
Forgot to add the zoo is also excellent.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2022 22:32]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:33 - Jan 12 with 3325 viewsDavieQPR

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 21:47 - Jan 12 by loftboy

Been a few times recently, mrs is half German and her mum was born there, we stay in Spandau which is the equivalent of a tourist staying in Shepherd’s Bush if visiting London!.
The open top bus tour is interesting and shows you most parts, get the S Bahn to the east and visit the teams is of the wall, some great murals, the Jewish memorial is poignant.
The Beer is the best in Europe, I love the food as well.Enjoy.

Heard the Ballet is quite good there though.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:35 - Jan 12 with 3321 viewskernowhoop

I had great steak there, in a restaurant called 'The Blockhouse'.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 23:07 - Jan 12 with 3275 viewsgigiisourgod

Amazing City, can not recommend it highly enough. I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time whatever you decide to do.
Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 00:45 - Jan 13 with 3222 viewsBoston

Not visited since the city went open plan. Before that, the blocks beside the wall were havens of indulgence for those of an offbeat nature.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 00:58 - Jan 13 with 3210 viewsSonofNorfolt

A place I could live in.
The football culture I can inform you about but at present it's a bit pointless.
Second best major city in Europe.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 06:50 - Jan 13 with 3150 viewsSydneyRs

Great city, spent time there in 2016 and loved it. Mitte is a good spot to stay also, close to most stuff and near where we stayed. The old East side has a great feel to it. Quite cool and less commercial than the West.

Loved the vibe of the place. Really easy to get around on trains and trams, was pretty cheap and lots of eating and drinking options. We just went off ones with good reviews and used google maps to find them. We loved anything to do with the history of the wall etc.

One thing I recall was how relaxed it all was. There are tables and chairs outside the 7/11 type shops where you are welcome to sit and drink the beers you just bought there. Young people walked around the streets drinking bottles of beer any nobody died! Coming from nanny state Australia, where you are given those god awful brown paper bags when you buy alcohol, it was very refreshing
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 08:00 - Jan 13 with 3106 viewsRBlock

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 00:58 - Jan 13 by SonofNorfolt

A place I could live in.
The football culture I can inform you about but at present it's a bit pointless.
Second best major city in Europe.

Out of curiosity, what do you rate as the best major city, Mel?
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 08:20 - Jan 13 with 3098 viewsRs_Holy

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/blog/top-11-places-see-what-remains-wall

Its a fabulous very unique city and my only regret when I visited (2017) was that I didn't go years earlier (when there was a more of the old communist part of the city still there).
I would go to anything to do with the wall (which I still find fascinating). The picture on item 5 of the link (Berlin Wall Memorial) is taken from a viewing tower, erected to show a small section of the wall as it was. See that if nothing else.
Also try and get to see the Reichstag Building! You may need to book in advance for that?
I also really love authentic German food... We ate here ... https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d944596-Reviews-Hacketha and it was a great meal in an old East German part of town.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2022 9:23]
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 08:57 - Jan 13 with 3062 viewstidydarts

The Stasi museum is really weird but very interesting. They've taken over their former headquarters in the east so a lot of the furniture (and smell) is the same as it was in the 80s.

Treptower Park, as has been said further up, is ridiculous and jaw-dropping.

No point in going to Checkpoint Charlie, as it's just a tourist attraction, and not the original post.

I went on a tour with this company (who do loads across Europe) and it's always led by an English-speaking local, so always worth doing as they can give recommendations while you're there: https://www.neweuropetours.eu/berlin-walking-tours/
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 12:43 - Jan 13 with 2978 viewsNorthantsHoop

Visit to Siegessäule the victory column, great view over Berlin. Also the Topograhy of Terror museum a very sobering reminder of Berlin's Nazi past. Went to the Hansa studios where David Bowie recorded the magnificent Heroes LP and U2 recorded Achtung Baby. Walking tour from the Brandenburg Gate is well worth doing and a trip out on the subway to the old Olympic stadium.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 13:01 - Jan 13 with 2952 viewsdsw2509

Spend a day at Potsdam (the former royal palaces). Sanssouci is the best one. The site is vast so use the shuttle bus to get around. Also spent a night last time we were there in a bar behind Friedrichstrasse station where the prices changed by reference to supply and demand. Every so often there was a ‘market crash’ when everything was half price. Epic.

Good bars in Prenzlauer Berg as well.

Enjoy it. I’ve been going on and off since the 1970’s. Wonderful place.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 13:06 - Jan 13 with 2945 viewsCiderwithRsie

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 08:00 - Jan 13 by RBlock

The one with Loftus Road in it, obviously.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 13:16 - Jan 13 with 2931 viewsbermudabob

Great city, so much history and manageable size wise A couple of more obscure recommendations:

1) Trabi tour this was great fun http://www.trabi-safari.de/index.php?language=en
2) Computer games museum https://www.computerspielemuseum.de/1210_Home.htm you can play all the games. My kids loved it, trip down memory lane for me
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 13:20 - Jan 13 with 2926 viewswillis1980

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:35 - Jan 12 by kernowhoop

I had great steak there, in a restaurant called 'The Blockhouse'.

Blockhouse is great, the garlic bread they serve is still my favourite. A good quality chain thats originally from Hamburg.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 17:44 - Jan 13 with 2846 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 13:06 - Jan 13 by CiderwithRsie

The one with Loftus Road in it, obviously.

Plovdiv, Bulgaria.

If you know you know.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 17:58 - Jan 13 with 2835 viewshantssi

As said above, great city.
I’d definitely visit the Reichstag (preferably at night) you can go right to the top.
The Olympic Stadium is worth a visit, do it on the way back from Spandau.
I’d also go to Sachsenhausen, it’s not everybodies cup of tea but everyone should go just to see it.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 18:56 - Jan 13 with 2807 viewsdubaistu

Best European city by miles for me. I was last there 1999 so no idea what it's like now. Tonnes of history, great food, nightlife... very envious
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 20:59 - Jan 13 with 2768 viewsNed_Kennedys

Kreuzberg, the Turkish area of Berlin is good for bars.
There’s a great burger kiosk in a converted public toilet under the railway lines somewhere.
We did a tour of the last remaining WW11 flak Tower: fantastic.

Great city, will visit again soon.
Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 21:02 - Jan 13 with 2761 viewsMick_S

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 08:00 - Jan 13 by RBlock

I’d guess Greenford although he was on the Northolt borders.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Non QPR - Berlin recommendations on 22:03 - Jan 13 with 2729 viewsgobbles

Treptower Park. Sensational Soviet memorial and a great park along the banks of the Spree, full of beer gardens in the summer.

The DDR museum in the city centre is pretty fantastic too
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024