Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4 Day Week 21:54 - Jan 18 with 6261 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

or three day bender.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/four-day-week-work-uk-pilot-b1994599.ht
4 Day Week on 22:20 - Jan 18 with 3172 viewsDavieQPR

So 4 day week at same wages? As productivity would be less it could only lead to higher costs thus higher inflation. Bad enough with WFH people working the equivalent of a 3 day week. As the payroll is the biggest cost to employers then less profit equals less employment.
4 Day Week on 22:27 - Jan 18 with 3137 viewsBoston

Most on here won’t be affected, they’ll be retired before it kicks in, the rest of ya, well artificial intelligence will probably guarantee your reduced working hours, unless you’re a member of the servant class.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

4 Day Week on 22:28 - Jan 18 with 3138 viewsPBLOCK

4 Day Week on 22:20 - Jan 18 by DavieQPR

So 4 day week at same wages? As productivity would be less it could only lead to higher costs thus higher inflation. Bad enough with WFH people working the equivalent of a 3 day week. As the payroll is the biggest cost to employers then less profit equals less employment.

People working from home doing a 3 day week?

What do you mean by that?
4 Day Week on 22:28 - Jan 18 with 3138 viewsaston_hoop

In the majority of cases where the 4 day week has already been trialled, productivity has increased or at least stayed the same. So no harm trying it

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

4 Day Week on 22:44 - Jan 18 with 3076 viewsKerryE

I remember my dear old dad telling me around 1980, about programmes on TV early 60s, discussing what would everyone do with all this extra free time due to work place technology....ha bloody ha.

In ain't ever happening in the current way we do things.
4 Day Week on 22:53 - Jan 18 with 3045 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’d read the article first if I was you mate!
4 Day Week on 22:56 - Jan 18 with 3036 viewsLythamR

I can see that this will work in certain circumstances

If you are able to get the same amount of productivity from a member of staff in 4 days as you do in 5 then its a no brainer but the key word is "if". a good number of companies do already do this

In many circumstances though it isnt going to work without a reduction in wages or as mentioned above an increase in company overhead or an increase on the hours worked each day to make up the shortfall in productivity

Take transport for example, staff either have to make up the hours in the 4 days or the companies staffing costs have to increase to provide the same level of service. A bus or train driver or conductor cant be more productive in less hours neither can a lorry or taxi driver without breaking the law
4 Day Week on 23:01 - Jan 18 with 3024 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

4 Day Week on 22:56 - Jan 18 by LythamR

I can see that this will work in certain circumstances

If you are able to get the same amount of productivity from a member of staff in 4 days as you do in 5 then its a no brainer but the key word is "if". a good number of companies do already do this

In many circumstances though it isnt going to work without a reduction in wages or as mentioned above an increase in company overhead or an increase on the hours worked each day to make up the shortfall in productivity

Take transport for example, staff either have to make up the hours in the 4 days or the companies staffing costs have to increase to provide the same level of service. A bus or train driver or conductor cant be more productive in less hours neither can a lorry or taxi driver without breaking the law

It’s difficult to legislate for that’s true. Hopefully companies will see the success in Finland or this trial and do it for themselves if it works for everyone.

It will difficult to do in this country, where the culture amongst a lot of companies works on fear and the idea that anything less than your employees total capitulation is a failure.
Login to get fewer ads

4 Day Week on 00:30 - Jan 19 with 2933 viewsloftboy

I dropped to a 4 day week ( my choice) but only get paid for 4

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

4 Day Week on 01:33 - Jan 19 with 2901 viewsSharpy36

As it`s behind a pay wall could you please list the 30 companies that will be trialing the 4 day working week.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

4 Day Week on 08:24 - Jan 19 with 2695 viewshantssi

I’ve not read the article, I’ve got deadlines to make so it doesn’t matter if I work 1 day or 6 days so long as they’re met.
Often I’ll put a few extra hours in so I can get a round of golf in during the week when it’s less busy.
I think that’s what they’re alluding to and it’s worked pretty well where its been trialled.
As said above it won’t work for all industries though.
4 Day Week on 08:41 - Jan 19 with 2666 viewsslmrstid

4 Day Week on 01:33 - Jan 19 by Sharpy36

As it`s behind a pay wall could you please list the 30 companies that will be trialing the 4 day working week.

There's no paywall Sharpy - you just have to click "I'll Try Later" when it tries to flog a sign up to you and it releases the rest of the article.

That being said, you're not missing out on much, the rest of the article is very short and the only company it mentions is Canon.
4 Day Week on 09:43 - Jan 19 with 2554 viewsJuzzie

4 Day Week on 22:28 - Jan 18 by PBLOCK

Indeed.

I've never been busier since WFH and the same applies to hundreds of my colleagues too.
Quite a few have even been working longer hours and maybe a few hours over the weekend too.

Sure, there may be some people only doing 3 days but no one should imply that WFH has suddenly become a freebie for everyone because that just isn't the case.
4 Day Week on 09:48 - Jan 19 with 2530 viewsTheChef

4 Day Week on 08:41 - Jan 19 by slmrstid

There's no paywall Sharpy - you just have to click "I'll Try Later" when it tries to flog a sign up to you and it releases the rest of the article.

That being said, you're not missing out on much, the rest of the article is very short and the only company it mentions is Canon.

Interesting, since I work for Canon. Although this probably relates to Canon UK rather than Canon Europe (EMEA HQ) which I work for.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

4 Day Week on 09:49 - Jan 19 with 2518 viewsgazza1

4 Day Week on 09:43 - Jan 19 by Juzzie

Indeed.

I've never been busier since WFH and the same applies to hundreds of my colleagues too.
Quite a few have even been working longer hours and maybe a few hours over the weekend too.

Sure, there may be some people only doing 3 days but no one should imply that WFH has suddenly become a freebie for everyone because that just isn't the case.

I know a lot of people that currently WFH and its most suitable, gym when they want, shopping whenever, school runs, odd trips out, golf, chats with mates, house cleaning duties, pub, lots, lots more.......work is second behind personal stuff. Not everyone but many enjoy that set-up.

Is it right or wrong I don't know......but if I had my own company I would not feel that comfortable with it.

As for a 4 day week, drop wages by 20% if hours drop.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 9:50]
4 Day Week on 09:49 - Jan 19 with 2520 viewsRBlock

Strongly in favour of this. It's been trialled in Iceland where it was an "overwhelming success", with productivity remaining the same or increasing. Also being trialled in Japan, NZ, Australia, and Canada. Workers who are off-sick with stress or struggling with their mental wellbeing are not going to be as motivated or productive as those who are happier and more relaxed.

On a deeper level though, spending the vast majority of your waking life grafting away just to keep the lights on is pretty bleak. I love my job; I work in public service and if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd stay in employment. I am confident I am in the minority however, and a slight shift in the work/life balance would lead to such an improvement in wellbeing and mental health for so many. More time to spend with your family, to relax and recharge your batteries, to go out and actually enjoy your life, rather than sitting in a brightly lit office staring into a screen or on a building site doing your back in.
4 Day Week on 09:54 - Jan 19 with 2498 viewsDavieQPR

4 Day Week on 22:28 - Jan 18 by PBLOCK

They only do enough actual hours to cover 3 days. Stopping to do domestic chores not work related.
4 Day Week on 09:58 - Jan 19 with 2484 viewsdaveB

4 Day Week on 09:43 - Jan 19 by Juzzie

Indeed.

I'm the same, end up working longer hours from home
4 Day Week on 10:00 - Jan 19 with 2475 viewsdaveB

4 Day Week on 09:49 - Jan 19 by gazza1

I know a lot of people that currently WFH and its most suitable, gym when they want, shopping whenever, school runs, odd trips out, golf, chats with mates, house cleaning duties, pub, lots, lots more.......work is second behind personal stuff. Not everyone but many enjoy that set-up.

Is it right or wrong I don't know......but if I had my own company I would not feel that comfortable with it.

On the plus side companies can save a fortune in renting expensive buildings.
Where I work we've got rid of two of the floors we rent which is saving hundreds of thousands
4 Day Week on 10:03 - Jan 19 with 2471 viewsLanhoop

4 Day Week on 09:49 - Jan 19 by gazza1

The traditional idea that you are paid for the hours you work, rather than what you do, is disappearing.

Moving to a 4 day week, with no pay reduction, could just be shift changes through working 4x10 hour days instead of 5x8 hour days but what if the work you did was really only taking 4x8 hours?

Maybe you need to lay 4000 bricks each week to meet the deadline. You are a fast worked and can easily do 1000 bricks a day. The next bloke takes cigarette breaks all day long and only does 800 bricks a day. By the end of the week you've done 20% more than him for the same pay, fair? Do it by bricks laid and you're on the golf course on Friday while he is wall building. There's so many places where productivity is a much better measure of work value than hours spent.

Admit fully, it's not for every trade. Don't want all the firemen having Friday off because they've done their quota of fires by Thursday lunchtime ;-)
4 Day Week on 10:10 - Jan 19 with 2450 viewsPlanetHonneywood

France has a four day week. Once you throw in the obligatory 2 hour lunch and serious adherence to the POETS day principle, they probably muster a three day working week at a push.

And do you know what: good for them, they’ve got the right work-life balance sorted!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

4 Day Week on 10:10 - Jan 19 with 2450 viewsBklynRanger

4 Day Week on 09:54 - Jan 19 by DavieQPR

They only do enough actual hours to cover 3 days. Stopping to do domestic chores not work related.

Who's this 'they' you're on about? Nobody I know.

And of course before the pandemic everyone in an office was nose to the grindstone hammering away all day - yeah I remember that.

Plenty of people have been working far longer hours from home since the pandemic started for multiple reasons.
4 Day Week on 10:25 - Jan 19 with 2385 viewsstevec

WFH has superseded 4 day week.

Far more flexible for those firms it suits and avoids conflict from those it doesn’t.
4 Day Week on 10:53 - Jan 19 with 2354 viewsTheChef

4 Day Week on 10:10 - Jan 19 by PlanetHonneywood

France has a four day week. Once you throw in the obligatory 2 hour lunch and serious adherence to the POETS day principle, they probably muster a three day working week at a push.

And do you know what: good for them, they’ve got the right work-life balance sorted!

And the whole of August off. Mange tout Rodders.

Same for most of Europe isn't it? I spent a year in Italy in the Veneto (north east region) pretty much everyone seemed either to be managing fine, or very comfortable, but no one seemed to do any work!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

4 Day Week on 11:23 - Jan 19 with 2290 viewsderbyhoop

4 Day Week on 10:10 - Jan 19 by PlanetHonneywood

35 hour working week as well.
The French have a better work/life balance than UK.
With zero loss in productivity.

Doesn't work for all but worth a try.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024