Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4 Day Week 21:54 - Jan 18 with 6372 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

or three day bender.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/four-day-week-work-uk-pilot-b1994599.ht
4 Day Week on 11:25 - Jan 19 with 1845 viewshantssi

4 Day Week on 09:49 - Jan 19 by gazza1

I know a lot of people that currently WFH and its most suitable, gym when they want, shopping whenever, school runs, odd trips out, golf, chats with mates, house cleaning duties, pub, lots, lots more.......work is second behind personal stuff. Not everyone but many enjoy that set-up.

Is it right or wrong I don't know......but if I had my own company I would not feel that comfortable with it.

As for a 4 day week, drop wages by 20% if hours drop.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 9:50]

You’ve pretty much described my week there, after all I’m on here aren’t I?
However, I’ve still got deadlines to hit so I arrange my working week accordingly, I’m more productive at home as nobody keeps coming over to have a chat.
Nobody suffers and the work gets done.
It’s not the 80’s anymore where the boss can rant at you from his office!
4 Day Week on 11:29 - Jan 19 with 1835 viewshantssi

4 Day Week on 10:03 - Jan 19 by Lanhoop

The traditional idea that you are paid for the hours you work, rather than what you do, is disappearing.

Moving to a 4 day week, with no pay reduction, could just be shift changes through working 4x10 hour days instead of 5x8 hour days but what if the work you did was really only taking 4x8 hours?

Maybe you need to lay 4000 bricks each week to meet the deadline. You are a fast worked and can easily do 1000 bricks a day. The next bloke takes cigarette breaks all day long and only does 800 bricks a day. By the end of the week you've done 20% more than him for the same pay, fair? Do it by bricks laid and you're on the golf course on Friday while he is wall building. There's so many places where productivity is a much better measure of work value than hours spent.

Admit fully, it's not for every trade. Don't want all the firemen having Friday off because they've done their quota of fires by Thursday lunchtime ;-)

This, I’ve got lots of colleagues who go for a ciggie break probably ever hour, takes 5-10 minutes while they have to go downstairs and outside, have a chat etc.
Add this up over a day and they probably lose at least an hour or so, so over a week it’s at least half a day lost.
4 Day Week on 11:44 - Jan 19 with 1797 viewsPBLOCK

4 Day Week on 09:54 - Jan 19 by DavieQPR

They only do enough actual hours to cover 3 days. Stopping to do domestic chores not work related.

That’s your opinion but for me that couldn’t be further from the truth

I find people sending emails at all hours and then getting narked because they haven’t had a reply to an email they sent at 11pm by 8:30 in the morning

Some parts of WFH are good. Saving 2 hours commuting seeing the kids when they get in from school doing the occasional pick up, but WFH isn’t the party some believe (usually people whose job doesn’t allow it)as your home life and work life become blurred
4 Day Week on 11:47 - Jan 19 with 1789 viewskensalriser

What an awful world it would be in which people who work have a better work/life balance and participate more in the fruits of their labour.

I'm sure 150 years ago there were people with dire warnings about what would happen if people weren't working every day of the week with just Sunday mornings off when they were expected to go to church.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

4 Day Week on 12:53 - Jan 19 with 1734 viewsTheChef

4 Day Week on 11:44 - Jan 19 by PBLOCK

That’s your opinion but for me that couldn’t be further from the truth

I find people sending emails at all hours and then getting narked because they haven’t had a reply to an email they sent at 11pm by 8:30 in the morning

Some parts of WFH are good. Saving 2 hours commuting seeing the kids when they get in from school doing the occasional pick up, but WFH isn’t the party some believe (usually people whose job doesn’t allow it)as your home life and work life become blurred

Nice to have a day or two working from home but I'd go mad doing it all the time.

Also as mentioned it's harder to delineate between work and home life (although I think it is easier with younger kids as when dinner is ready around 5.30 or so that is my sign to shut down for the day).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

4 Day Week on 12:57 - Jan 19 with 1726 viewsJuzzie

4 Day Week on 09:49 - Jan 19 by gazza1

I know a lot of people that currently WFH and its most suitable, gym when they want, shopping whenever, school runs, odd trips out, golf, chats with mates, house cleaning duties, pub, lots, lots more.......work is second behind personal stuff. Not everyone but many enjoy that set-up.

Is it right or wrong I don't know......but if I had my own company I would not feel that comfortable with it.

As for a 4 day week, drop wages by 20% if hours drop.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 9:50]

That may suit them and the companies they work for but our company (8,500 global staff) very much stipulate we still maintain office hours as normal.
There is flexibility such as picking the kids up from school or going to the dentist etc but we all have to keep our line Manager aware of our movements. Mine has never once said 'no' to anything. Like me she has a young family so understands. Just as long as I communicate what I'm doing.... a quick zoom-chat message usually suffices.

I'd say working from home has definitely had it's benefits, such as doing things around the house/garden/motorbike/car at lunchtime or a quick 10 minute "fag break" (I don't smoke but why should others be able to have a break and non-smokers don't?).

Downside is I do feel a bit stir crazy, especially during the winter months where I can't sit out in the garden or going for w walk is a bit of a palaver.
For a couple of months we went back to the office 1-2 days a week and that really worked well to break up the monotony then the government instruction came in to "work from home if you can" so we are back to doing so 5 days a week. Hopefully it'll be lifted soon and we can go back to the hybrid way of working.
4 Day Week on 13:27 - Jan 19 with 1667 viewsbollockchops

ive done 4 x 10 hr shifts for the last two years and it suits me fine, it gives you a lot more spare time to do whatever you want !
I now volunteer twice a week at the local community fridge which gives you good grounding !
4 Day Week on 13:42 - Jan 19 with 1637 viewsrobith

Always like the 4 day week discussion cos it roots out pretty quickly people who want other people to eat boot for the rest of their lives rather than have the slightest glimmer of a nicer, healthier life. They're almost always retired too, strange correlation. We have a real problem with demanding other people be miserable in this country, it's really really odd
Login to get fewer ads

4 Day Week on 14:09 - Jan 19 with 1591 viewsR_from_afar

Interesting.

In his last few years of work, my dear old dad (RIP) used to have four day *weekends*. He did have to work 10 days consecutively to get the four off, though. His union agreed that working pattern.

I really don't think I could handle that pattern!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

4 Day Week on 14:15 - Jan 19 with 1581 viewsSharpy36

4 Day Week on 08:41 - Jan 19 by slmrstid

There's no paywall Sharpy - you just have to click "I'll Try Later" when it tries to flog a sign up to you and it releases the rest of the article.

That being said, you're not missing out on much, the rest of the article is very short and the only company it mentions is Canon.

Thank you mate.
Would have been nice to see the other 29, but hey ho. I can only presume from the responses to this thread it`s only office based staff that would benefit from a 4 day week.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

4 Day Week on 14:39 - Jan 19 with 1530 viewsRangersw12

I work harder at home and usually do all my work by midday so I then have the rest of the day for myself but also keep an eye on what drops in

If they want me back in the office I will just take all day to do stuff and drag it out so will be less productive
4 Day Week on 14:44 - Jan 19 with 1523 viewsKonk

My old company, where practical, allowed people to work 1.5 hours longer on four days, have the fifth off and lose something like 5% of your salary. I didn't have a kid at the time, but for the people that did, they loved having a day doing what they wanted - cycling, golf, doing creative stuff, domestic/admin stuff - and then having the weekend totally free for their families. People who had to leave home early anyway, so didn't see their kids in the morning, just left an hour earlier and then worked through half of their lunch (which we often did anyway).

Most of my Dutch friends and their partners work a four day week - even the ones without kids. Probably says a lot for how much people benefit mentally from working a four day week, that I've yet to meet anyone who's voluntarily gone back to working five days, even when finances are tight.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

4 Day Week on 15:11 - Jan 19 with 1473 viewskensalriser

The people who benefit most from the current arrangement are the people who earn the most money from other people's labour. Some of them probably barely work one day a week because why bother working when you're earning plenty from other people's work.

Or as was recently summarised: people earning £1000 an hour have convinced people earning £12 an hour that people earning £7.81 an hour are the problem.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

4 Day Week on 17:34 - Jan 19 with 1387 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

4 Day Week on 14:15 - Jan 19 by Sharpy36

Thank you mate.
Would have been nice to see the other 29, but hey ho. I can only presume from the responses to this thread it`s only office based staff that would benefit from a 4 day week.

Thank an office bod for this:

3D Issue
Advice Direct Scotland
Big Potato Games
Blink
CMG Technologies
Causeway Irish Housing Association
Charlton Morris
Common Knowledge
Crystallised
Earth Science Partnership
Elektra Lighting
Evolved
Four Day Week Ltd
Geeks for Social Change
Gracefruit
Legacy Events
MRL
Workers brainstorm
PTHR
Punch Creative
Reboot
Resilience Brokers
Reward Agency
STOP AIDS
Sinister Fish Games
Social Enterprise Direct
Softer Success
T-Cup Studios
Target Publishing
Technovent
The Circle
The UPAC Group
Venture Stream
YWCA Scotland
flocc
streamGO
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 17:36]
4 Day Week on 17:49 - Jan 19 with 1362 viewsTheChef

4 Day Week on 17:34 - Jan 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Thank an office bod for this:

3D Issue
Advice Direct Scotland
Big Potato Games
Blink
CMG Technologies
Causeway Irish Housing Association
Charlton Morris
Common Knowledge
Crystallised
Earth Science Partnership
Elektra Lighting
Evolved
Four Day Week Ltd
Geeks for Social Change
Gracefruit
Legacy Events
MRL
Workers brainstorm
PTHR
Punch Creative
Reboot
Resilience Brokers
Reward Agency
STOP AIDS
Sinister Fish Games
Social Enterprise Direct
Softer Success
T-Cup Studios
Target Publishing
Technovent
The Circle
The UPAC Group
Venture Stream
YWCA Scotland
flocc
streamGO
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 17:36]

Quite the eclectic mix there...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

4 Day Week on 18:00 - Jan 19 with 1346 viewsSharpy36

Thanks Bazz.

For those like me who have never heard of a single one of them, which i presume is why the Indepentent choose to omit them from thier piece. Here is a link to those listed and thier area of office based expertise.

https://www.4dayweek.co.uk/employers

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

4 Day Week on 19:57 - Jan 19 with 1278 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

4 Day Week on 18:00 - Jan 19 by Sharpy36

Thanks Bazz.

For those like me who have never heard of a single one of them, which i presume is why the Indepentent choose to omit them from thier piece. Here is a link to those listed and thier area of office based expertise.

https://www.4dayweek.co.uk/employers

Sheet metal workers and a medicine manufacturers are included on that list.
4 Day Week on 20:47 - Jan 19 with 1234 viewsSharpy36

4 Day Week on 19:57 - Jan 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

If you`re speaking about CMG Technologies and Technovent then they don`t.

Anyway. I`m sure you can guess my stance on this subject. If every working adult has the choice to work a 4 day week for the same money then you can count me in but you and i know it will never happen.

4 Day Week on 20:54 - Jan 19 with 1224 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

4 Day Week on 20:47 - Jan 19 by Sharpy36

If you`re speaking about CMG Technologies and Technovent then they don`t.

Anyway. I`m sure you can guess my stance on this subject. If every working adult has the choice to work a 4 day week for the same money then you can count me in but you and i know it will never happen.

Seems a bit bitter to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Like lactose intolerant people being against everyone else having milk.
4 Day Week on 21:24 - Jan 19 with 1188 viewsqprxtc

We should work weekends and have the rest of the week off.

The Friday night blues.
4 Day Week on 00:41 - Jan 20 with 1109 viewsLythamR

4 Day Week on 19:57 - Jan 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

A lot of engineering and fabrication companies knock off at lunchtime on Fridays already and either have 30 or 45 minute lunch breaks to make up the time over the week
4 Day Week on 01:21 - Jan 20 with 1084 viewsbob566

I work in financial services. People used to knock off at 5 or 6pm. Now they're working till 9pm. Also errors are up 400%. How can you train in a new hire properly. Plus side is staff are free for school runs etc. More time in bed w/o commute. Lots of positives but as many negatives imho. I miss the social aspect, nice lunches nothing fancy. A burrito here and there with a colleague rather than a tin of beans on toast every day
4 Day Week on 07:12 - Jan 20 with 1046 viewsdistortR

4 Day Week on 20:54 - Jan 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Seems a bit bitter to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Like lactose intolerant people being against everyone else having milk.

It's not that though, is it?
It'd be a step further down the road to creating a two-tier society, with office staff and particularly the public funded civil service having more time off, while us manual workers keep plugging our life away.
I'm with Sharpy - I'm all for a four day working week, in fact circumstance recently has made me drop to 4 days and I've been happy with that, but the economics don't work. So bring in the 4 day working week, but make it financially available for all.
The labour party needs to stop seeing the world through it's cosmopolitan prism
4 Day Week on 07:19 - Jan 20 with 1043 viewsessextaxiboy

A 4 day week means more leisure time , so more leisure sector jobs and a bigger tax take .

Productivity has been proved to not suffer elsewhere and even slight improvements to health would ease things for the NHS .

Its worth a go IMO .
4 Day Week on 07:28 - Jan 20 with 1026 viewsdistortR

4 Day Week on 07:19 - Jan 20 by essextaxiboy

A 4 day week means more leisure time , so more leisure sector jobs and a bigger tax take .

Productivity has been proved to not suffer elsewhere and even slight improvements to health would ease things for the NHS .

Its worth a go IMO .

absolutely, for everyone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024