Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really grim article about online fans 13:42 - Jan 19 with 5467 viewsWegerles_Stairs

“You will be seen as elitist if you go to the games,” says one fan of a top-six club who travels home and away and also has a substantial social media following. “They do see us as the elite. If I speak out on issues that matter to match-going fans, be that ticket allocations, prices, games being picked for TV, the new fans do not give a shit."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/19/digital-fans-represent-football
Really grim article about online fans on 13:58 - Jan 19 with 4419 viewssparkey

The new era of football fans is scary. How someone living in London with no affiliation to Manchester can support Man Utd will always baffle me
Really grim article about online fans on 14:55 - Jan 19 with 4220 viewsslmrstid

Really grim article about online fans on 13:58 - Jan 19 by sparkey

The new era of football fans is scary. How someone living in London with no affiliation to Manchester can support Man Utd will always baffle me

To be fair I'm someone living in Leicester who has no affiliation to London and supports QPR.

Its just unfortunate for me QPR have spent most of their history being rubbish, unlike Man United...

(My QPR obsession comes from my Dad, who also has no affiliation to London and merely fell in love with the name "Queens Park Rangers" when he was 8 years old...)
Really grim article about online fans on 14:59 - Jan 19 with 4191 viewsBoston

Really grim article about online fans on 14:55 - Jan 19 by slmrstid

To be fair I'm someone living in Leicester who has no affiliation to London and supports QPR.

Its just unfortunate for me QPR have spent most of their history being rubbish, unlike Man United...

(My QPR obsession comes from my Dad, who also has no affiliation to London and merely fell in love with the name "Queens Park Rangers" when he was 8 years old...)

Apologies for the ‘and Leicester’.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Really grim article about online fans on 15:06 - Jan 19 with 4168 viewsthemodfather

the worst fans are those, sitting at home, living the dream in a new scarf, new shirt giving their all and couldn;t find their team's; ground on a map , highlighted and with an arrow over it!
Really grim article about online fans on 15:29 - Jan 19 with 4066 viewsDaBurgh

Really grim article about online fans on 15:06 - Jan 19 by themodfather

the worst fans are those, sitting at home, living the dream in a new scarf, new shirt giving their all and couldn;t find their team's; ground on a map , highlighted and with an arrow over it!

In the 60's as a football mad pre-teen from the east coast, I found myself enamored with the Oakland Raiders, no connection and 3000 miles away. I liked their agressive play, Jim and Gus Otto and of course the mad, unhinged sideline antics of John Madden.
They were my team, until of course the steelers started dominating the seventies. Ba-zinga!
Really grim article about online fans on 15:39 - Jan 19 with 4027 viewsDWQPR

Half and half scarves. Need I say more?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Really grim article about online fans on 15:45 - Jan 19 with 3998 viewsNorthernr

I had the experience in the OP around the Reading away tickets.

There’s quite a good description of Twitter fans in there - combative, obsessed with transfers, perennially pessimistic.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Really grim article about online fans on 15:50 - Jan 19 with 3966 viewsgobbles

Really grim article about online fans on 13:58 - Jan 19 by sparkey

That's not exactly new, is it? I went to school with lots of Liverpool fans who had never been to a game and probably couldn't find Liverpool on a map.
Login to get fewer ads

Really grim article about online fans on 16:21 - Jan 19 with 3842 viewsLythamR

"obsessed with transfers, highly combative and persistently pessimistic. “Not getting what you want from football all of the time seems completely intolerable to them,"

We have plenty that match that on twitter and facebook. no tolerance and no patience whatsoever.
Really grim article about online fans on 16:27 - Jan 19 with 3823 viewsRangersw12

Really grim article about online fans on 16:21 - Jan 19 by LythamR

"obsessed with transfers, highly combative and persistently pessimistic. “Not getting what you want from football all of the time seems completely intolerable to them,"

We have plenty that match that on twitter and facebook. no tolerance and no patience whatsoever.

What I've found on Facebook is that it seems to be people in there 50s/60s who are the worst culprits for this type of behavior
Really grim article about online fans on 16:35 - Jan 19 with 3785 viewsNorthernr

Really grim article about online fans on 16:21 - Jan 19 by LythamR

It's so spot on.
Really grim article about online fans on 16:35 - Jan 19 with 3782 viewslondonscottish

Really grim article about online fans on 15:45 - Jan 19 by Northernr

I had the experience in the OP around the Reading away tickets.

There’s quite a good description of Twitter fans in there - combative, obsessed with transfers, perennially pessimistic.

This post has been edited by an administrator

"Twitter Fans" vs "Legacy Fans".

Gah.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Really grim article about online fans on 16:56 - Jan 19 with 3709 viewsslmrstid

Really grim article about online fans on 16:35 - Jan 19 by Northernr

It's so spot on.

More blood.

Otherwise I'd take 21st now, to be honest.
Really grim article about online fans on 17:19 - Jan 19 with 3621 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A vocal minority.

Don't forget the remaining 72 clubs have a much larger combined attendance, but don't feel the need to brag about it or take wan ky videos.
Really grim article about online fans on 17:27 - Jan 19 with 3586 viewsJuzzie

Been like this for years. They all (regardless of their age) pretty much remind me of Jay from the Inbetweeners.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 17:29]
Really grim article about online fans on 17:47 - Jan 19 with 3491 viewssparkey

Sorry I didnt mean it like that i worded it poorly. I mean fans who just jump ship to the most successful club at the current time knowing full well theyll never see their 'heroes'. When I was younger i had friends who would support chelsea and if they lost to Man Utd then theyd suddenly support Man Utd and act as if they always had. Proper weird
Really grim article about online fans on 17:57 - Jan 19 with 3437 viewsPaddyhoops

Growing up in Ireland you were seen as a bit odd if you supported anyone apart from Man UTD, Arsenal or Liverpool.
Leeds were always well supported and fair play to these Leeds fans , they stuck with them.
Chelsea pretty much never came into the equation as they were seen as part of the Glasgow Rangers and Linfield trio of Blues football clubs who didn't have much time for us Southern Irish.
Hope that doesn't sound too controversial but in my neck of the woods this was a fact.
The article mirrors the situation in Ireland, thousands of armchair fans who pay Thier sky subscription but rarely ever see the inside of Anfield or Old Trafford.
The very same people ( not all) wouldn't be seen dead supporting thier local leauge of Ireland club.
I even read an article in a local newspaper slagging off the LOI and in the same article expressing his love for Man utd.
I get the fact they love football but it's just so easy to sit on your arse in front of a TV and say "I'm Thier biggest fan"
The experience of live football is one of the greatest experiences in life and winning is never the be all and end all .
God knows as fans of this wonderful football club we know better than anyone!!
Really grim article about online fans on 18:13 - Jan 19 with 3399 viewsstowmarketrange

Really grim article about online fans on 17:57 - Jan 19 by Paddyhoops

Growing up in Ireland you were seen as a bit odd if you supported anyone apart from Man UTD, Arsenal or Liverpool.
Leeds were always well supported and fair play to these Leeds fans , they stuck with them.
Chelsea pretty much never came into the equation as they were seen as part of the Glasgow Rangers and Linfield trio of Blues football clubs who didn't have much time for us Southern Irish.
Hope that doesn't sound too controversial but in my neck of the woods this was a fact.
The article mirrors the situation in Ireland, thousands of armchair fans who pay Thier sky subscription but rarely ever see the inside of Anfield or Old Trafford.
The very same people ( not all) wouldn't be seen dead supporting thier local leauge of Ireland club.
I even read an article in a local newspaper slagging off the LOI and in the same article expressing his love for Man utd.
I get the fact they love football but it's just so easy to sit on your arse in front of a TV and say "I'm Thier biggest fan"
The experience of live football is one of the greatest experiences in life and winning is never the be all and end all .
God knows as fans of this wonderful football club we know better than anyone!!

I don’t think supporting any English club from Ireland is doing anything wrong,but I think the people over here who just pick a team by the league table are the ones ruining football in my eyes.
As if the big 6 teams need extra fans buying their shirts.Local clubs are dying out because kids prefer a premier league team that they will probably never see to a local club they can see every week.
Really grim article about online fans on 18:18 - Jan 19 with 3382 viewsRangersw12

Really grim article about online fans on 18:13 - Jan 19 by stowmarketrange

I don’t think supporting any English club from Ireland is doing anything wrong,but I think the people over here who just pick a team by the league table are the ones ruining football in my eyes.
As if the big 6 teams need extra fans buying their shirts.Local clubs are dying out because kids prefer a premier league team that they will probably never see to a local club they can see every week.

I agree but I also think local clubs should do more to encourage people to attend

I mean look at the Bush there is next to no QPR visibility around the area
Really grim article about online fans on 18:20 - Jan 19 with 3377 viewsAirtomoreira

Really grim article about online fans on 17:47 - Jan 19 by sparkey

Sorry I didnt mean it like that i worded it poorly. I mean fans who just jump ship to the most successful club at the current time knowing full well theyll never see their 'heroes'. When I was younger i had friends who would support chelsea and if they lost to Man Utd then theyd suddenly support Man Utd and act as if they always had. Proper weird

I jumped ship in the late 60s from supporting a very successful team (Liverpool - I was born and raised there, used to go to all the home games), to a somewhat less successful one. Why? Well, at age 13 I was taken by their unusual name and their even more unusual hooped shirts. There then follows 50+ years of 90% disappointment, 10% unbridled joy - but the joy is so much more meaningful when it only happens 10% of the time (and the rare victories over Liverpool were all the sweeter)
Really grim article about online fans on 18:47 - Jan 19 with 3284 viewsqprxtc

It does my small brain how Twitter and a Facebook have become the be all and end all of opinion and debate.

Most of the f ucker son there can’t spell or write a coherent sentence (sober …..). And yet their opinions are used as quantifiable statistics to make policy.

When pen and paper was king, there was a filter called the bin that this stuff was placed in. Pissed on and burnt. Never to be heard of again.

Why do we need to listen to f ucking nut jobs.

I’m f ucking right, I am.
Really grim article about online fans on 19:12 - Jan 19 with 3220 viewsAntti_Heinola

Really grim article about online fans on 18:47 - Jan 19 by qprxtc

It does my small brain how Twitter and a Facebook have become the be all and end all of opinion and debate.

Most of the f ucker son there can’t spell or write a coherent sentence (sober …..). And yet their opinions are used as quantifiable statistics to make policy.

When pen and paper was king, there was a filter called the bin that this stuff was placed in. Pissed on and burnt. Never to be heard of again.

Why do we need to listen to f ucking nut jobs.

I’m f ucking right, I am.

it's odd when you consider only a small minority of fans/population are on Twitter, and even less are active.

I was involved in a project once that got an absolute mauling on twitter. Loads of posts. And then you had a proper look at it and it was about 10 people posting over and over again, but they were able to make it appear to be a sort of 'the whole country thinks this' - in fact, 99% of the population probably weren't aware of the project, and plenty liked it. As a focus group, I'd suggest social media must be almost useless.

Bare bones.

Really grim article about online fans on 19:28 - Jan 19 with 3152 viewsconnell10

I'm old school I like watching football live. I don't even understand the concept of a twitter football fan , as Mozzy sang " it says nothing to me about my life!" Twitter my arse!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Really grim article about online fans on 20:24 - Jan 19 with 3013 viewsWestonsuperR

My story is almost the same. I’m from Somerset and have no link to QPR at all and only started to support the team due to mainly name and the colours (I was also about 7 or 8 years old). I’ve now been going for 35 years and my son supports the club avidly.

I quite like the fact we have had so little success (in comparison to most Premier League clubs) as I can never be accused of a glory hunter!
Really grim article about online fans on 20:45 - Jan 19 with 2967 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Really grim article about online fans on 19:28 - Jan 19 by connell10

I'm old school I like watching football live. I don't even understand the concept of a twitter football fan , as Mozzy sang " it says nothing to me about my life!" Twitter my arse!!

It’s like LfW but with less fake accounts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024