Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season 11:04 - Feb 7 with 4447 viewseastside_r

Following on from the ‘repeats’ match report, it got me wondering if and when this has happened before. Given our record in the cups, I am sure it must have done. This was the first time I can remember visiting an away ground in the same season twice and seeing us lose both times?

Possibly Blackburn 2011/12?

Anyone?
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:06 - Feb 7 with 3845 viewsTheChef

And we still get to play Peterborough at home.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:12 - Feb 7 with 3809 viewsloftboy

1990/91 Manchester United, lost 2-1 in league and FA cup, the cup game was one of skys first Monday night games before they got the league coverage.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:15 - Feb 7 with 3778 viewsCamberleyR

Most recently Sheff Weds won twice at HQ in the 2019/20 season (League and FA Cup) unless you mean losing twice away from home.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:21 - Feb 7 with 3744 viewsenfieldargh

Notts County 1980
Lost2-1 in league
lost 4-1 in LC

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:24 - Feb 7 with 3733 viewsCamberleyR

76/77 and 94/95 we lost twice at Old Trafford , League and FA Cup.
77/78 lost at the City Ground (naturally) in the league and also lost a FA Cup 5th round replay there.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 12:09]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:31 - Feb 7 with 3702 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I swear in one of Burnley’s promotion years we played them five times. They had Brian Jensen in goal is all I remember.

Edit: it was four times, wasn’t a promotion year, but we was beaten twice at Turf Moor.

15 Nov 2008 Queens Park Rangers v Burnley L 1-2 League
03 Jan 2009 Queens Park Rangers v Burnley D 0-0 FA Cup
13 Jan 2009 Burnley v Queens Park Rangers L 2-1 FA Cup
11 Apr 2009 Burnley v Queens Park Rangers L 1-0 League

[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 11:40]
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:53 - Feb 7 with 3647 viewsozranger

Lots going back, but possibly the most relevant was the 1964/65 season and the 2nd round of the FA Cup.

On Nov 28 we lost at Peterborough 6-1 in a Div 3 match at London Rd. Then after drawing 3-3 in the Cup when coming from 3-1 down at HQ, we lost the replay, again, at London Rd 2-1 after extra time. They eventually went out in the 5th Rd losing to Swansea. Oh, and all three games were immediately after each other and thus we played Posh three times in a row - 28 Nov, 5 Dec & 9 Dec. That, in itself, is also rare.
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 14:11 - Feb 7 with 3499 viewsManinBlack

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:53 - Feb 7 by ozranger

Lots going back, but possibly the most relevant was the 1964/65 season and the 2nd round of the FA Cup.

On Nov 28 we lost at Peterborough 6-1 in a Div 3 match at London Rd. Then after drawing 3-3 in the Cup when coming from 3-1 down at HQ, we lost the replay, again, at London Rd 2-1 after extra time. They eventually went out in the 5th Rd losing to Swansea. Oh, and all three games were immediately after each other and thus we played Posh three times in a row - 28 Nov, 5 Dec & 9 Dec. That, in itself, is also rare.

Thanks for this I didn't know this but was an infant at the time. As Peterborough haven't been in the fifth round since 1986 it was jolly decent of us to not stand in their way.
Login to get fewer ads

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 15:45 - Feb 7 with 3384 viewskensalriser

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:31 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I swear in one of Burnley’s promotion years we played them five times. They had Brian Jensen in goal is all I remember.

Edit: it was four times, wasn’t a promotion year, but we was beaten twice at Turf Moor.

Great stuff. That's a proper set of QPR performances. I particularly like that the one time we didn't lose was only because the oppo failed to score.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:19 - Feb 7 with 3317 viewsSuffolkHoop

Interesting question:

What is the maximum number of times two Championship teams could play each other competitively in one season?

League Cup x1
League x2
FA Cup x2
Playoffs x2

7?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 16:20]
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:22 - Feb 7 with 3311 viewshantssi

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:19 - Feb 7 by SuffolkHoop

Interesting question:

What is the maximum number of times two Championship teams could play each other competitively in one season?

League Cup x1
League x2
FA Cup x2
Playoffs x2

7?

I guess it depends if there’s home/away in the League Cup and how many replays allowed in the FA Cup.
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:30 - Feb 7 with 3296 viewsSilverfoxqpr

There was a period of time when Wimbledon were sharing Selhurst Park with Palace and it seemed to me I'd be trekking down there every other month to watch us get a bum gobbing.

Someone with a better memory would be able to clarify that piece of history but one match that stands out is a 0-5 loss to Wimbledon and our fans booing us off at the end, well all bar Crouch who put a shift in. Blimey seems like a lifetime ago. Anyway a few doubles there I'm sure.
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:34 - Feb 7 with 3251 viewsstevec

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 11:31 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

If I recall correctly Jensen was quite a laugh on an otherwise cold boring afternoon in January.

Seemed to revel in the chants, taking free kicks all over the shop. Some of the finest and longest ‘woooooahh, You….. Fat …… BASTARD’ s I can remember.
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:38 - Feb 7 with 3261 viewsterryb

Leeds lost twice at Loftus road in the 2018/19 season & followed that up with another defeat the next season.

Sometimes these things are in our favour!
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 17:08 - Feb 7 with 3216 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:19 - Feb 7 by SuffolkHoop

Interesting question:

League Cup x1
League x2
FA Cup x2
Playoffs x2

7?

League Cup Semis has two legs and Charity Shield so 9!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 17:25]
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 17:27 - Feb 7 with 3180 viewsterryb

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 17:08 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

League Cup Semis has two legs and Charity Shield so 9!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 17:25]

You would have needed to win The Premier to be in the Charity Shield & the question was for a Championship side, so that would make it 8.
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 17:30 - Feb 7 with 3174 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 17:27 - Feb 7 by terryb

You would have needed to win The Premier to be in the Charity Shield & the question was for a Championship side, so that would make it 8.

Good point.

But what about Europe! You could play the same team another three times in the Europa League!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 20:38]
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 18:50 - Feb 7 with 3118 viewsQPR_Jim

Losing twice at Selhurst Park, once to Palace in the league and once to Wimbledon in the FA cup?
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 20:31 - Feb 7 with 3032 viewsloftboy

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 17:27 - Feb 7 by terryb

Unless you won the fa cup the previous season!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 20:34 - Feb 7 with 3024 viewsloftus77

Shudder to bring this up, but didnt we lose 4-1 and 4-0 at Watford in 1981/82??? They had John Barnes mind you...
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 20:37 - Feb 7 with 3013 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 20:31 - Feb 7 by loftboy

Unless you won the fa cup the previous season!

This was my first reaction then I realised the other team would have to be in PL then 😆
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 21:23 - Feb 7 with 2951 viewsGroveR

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 16:30 - Feb 7 by Silverfoxqpr

There was a period of time when Wimbledon were sharing Selhurst Park with Palace and it seemed to me I'd be trekking down there every other month to watch us get a bum gobbing.

Someone with a better memory would be able to clarify that piece of history but one match that stands out is a 0-5 loss to Wimbledon and our fans booing us off at the end, well all bar Crouch who put a shift in. Blimey seems like a lifetime ago. Anyway a few doubles there I'm sure.

Agreed, an absolute bollòck-ache of a ground to get to/from and one I have absolutely zero fond memories of.
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 22:53 - Feb 7 with 2868 viewsPeterHucker

Can you name a ground where we've lost twice in the same season more than once?
Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 08:42 - Feb 8 with 2749 viewsTheChef

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 22:53 - Feb 7 by PeterHucker

Surely the City Ground has to be a contender?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 09:46 - Feb 8 with 2710 viewsterryb

Losing Twice at the Same Ground in One Season on 22:53 - Feb 7 by PeterHucker

Peterborough in 1964/65 & 2021/22 plus Old Trafford in 1976/77 & 1990/91.

I had a feeling that we had lost a few times up there in the FA Cup & Gordon Macey confirmed this.

EDIT - I see Camberley had already mentioned Manchester United & that ozranger had told us about The Posh.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 10:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024