Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere 21:49 - Feb 10 with 4966 viewsStainrod

Sorry if this has been commented on elsewhere as haven't had a chance to read everything from last night, but just wanted to make a point about the lack of atmosphere/ crowd at Loftus Rd.

Considering we were playing to go second in the league, its under the lights (scene of so many brilliant nights) against a very decent side, I expected the ground to be absolutely buzzing.

But it just felt really flat to me. Not helped by huge swathes of SA Rd being empty. It is noticeable that some (a minority tbf) had a massive meltdown because we didn't buy that game changing player in January. Might be doing those people a massive disservice, but did they all turn up? I mean, I get its midweek/ people live a long way away/ I myself very rarely go away these days, so I really don't want to get into a "I'm a more pure fan that you" debate - that's pathetic.

Yet I do wonder what more the club has to do to get the broader fan base engaged. It seems we have a core of really committed supporters but that second or third tier of supporters just don't seem to be stepping up.

Is it covid? The crap stadium? Our frustratingly slow starts to matches? Just was expecting a lot more noise and frankly more people last night.
Atmosphere on 21:50 - Feb 10 with 3748 viewsNorthernr

Yeh I was a bit disappointed with it in the final half an hour. I guess it's difficult when you're tense, they're piling the pressure on, etc, but I thought it was a bit poor given the circumstances, score and quality of the game.
Atmosphere on 21:56 - Feb 10 with 3700 viewsqpr_1968

i actually thought it looked less than the 14,000 put up.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Atmosphere on 22:07 - Feb 10 with 3639 viewscolinallcars

Clearly all these evening games are having a detrimental effect. So many people live outside our catchment area.
It's approaching 10 o'clock when the final whistle blows, it then takes quite a while exiting through our narrow walkways and gates before attempting the journey which can take a few hours for many of us.
People speak glowingly of memorable “nights under the lights”, but really the evening KOs are killing football.
There was and is a very good reason for football kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.
Atmosphere on 22:09 - Feb 10 with 3624 viewsRangersw12

Prices need to be looked at for midweek games for a start it's far too expensive

Cost of living is highest for ages and people have to pick and choose what games they do. For example I have a ST but couldn't afford to go.

Another thing is we are not a massive club we average 12-14 k and have done for years so to get 14k midweek which is 3k under capacity isn't too bad imo
Atmosphere on 22:17 - Feb 10 with 3581 viewsWirralHoop

To go midweek costs me, 2 days holiday from work. On top of the train and hotel as have to stay overnight.

I made a few back end of last year but it’s very hard to do every other week.
Atmosphere on 22:41 - Feb 10 with 3494 viewsjoe90

From where I was sitting in the Upper Loft, Ellerslie Road and SA looked full. There were plenty of empty seats in my area of the Upper Loft but couldn’t see the rest of the stand or Lower Loft. I thought the turn out was better than it has been at previous mid-week games, definitely a noticeable increase, and the atmosphere is much better than previous seasons IMO.

Should there be more fans and an even better atmosphere based our performance this season? I don’t think so, not based on the last few seasons. What we’re seeing is the core fan base, if people aren’t turning up now they never will. If they’re waiting for Premier League are they really the kind of fans you want sitting next to you?

I say appreciate the ones that are there now and the ones who would want to be there but can’t make it for whatever reason, as they’re proper fans. If you think attendance is low and the crowd quiet - just wait and see what it’s like if we don’t go up this season.
Atmosphere on 22:45 - Feb 10 with 3450 viewsGloryHunter

People round me were saying you can watch every game on the red button if you have the full Sky package. Can this be right?
Atmosphere on 22:45 - Feb 10 with 3449 viewsgigiisourgod

Atmosphere on 22:41 - Feb 10 by joe90

From where I was sitting in the Upper Loft, Ellerslie Road and SA looked full. There were plenty of empty seats in my area of the Upper Loft but couldn’t see the rest of the stand or Lower Loft. I thought the turn out was better than it has been at previous mid-week games, definitely a noticeable increase, and the atmosphere is much better than previous seasons IMO.

Should there be more fans and an even better atmosphere based our performance this season? I don’t think so, not based on the last few seasons. What we’re seeing is the core fan base, if people aren’t turning up now they never will. If they’re waiting for Premier League are they really the kind of fans you want sitting next to you?

I say appreciate the ones that are there now and the ones who would want to be there but can’t make it for whatever reason, as they’re proper fans. If you think attendance is low and the crowd quiet - just wait and see what it’s like if we don’t go up this season.

I wonder if the red button option to watch the games midweek has an impact
Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere on 22:51 - Feb 10 with 3409 viewsstevec

Considering the utter crap we dished up for six seasons between 2015 and 2020 it’s impressive we maintained 12000 hard core supporters. Was largely the same in league one.

Our club like many others don’t seem keen on pay at the door customers, so it’s inevitable crowds don’t jump much when doing well.

In the end, the top up comes not from the hard core, but the floating fan the Premier League attracts.

Personally, I was too busy looking at the clock for that last half hour, praying we could get out of there with the six point gap in place.
Atmosphere on 22:57 - Feb 10 with 3393 viewsstowmarketrange

Luckily we only have 1 more midweek night home game left this season,unless home games are moved by Sky or cup commitments by our opponents.
Atmosphere on 22:58 - Feb 10 with 3378 viewsStainrod

Atmosphere on 22:17 - Feb 10 by WirralHoop

To go midweek costs me, 2 days holiday from work. On top of the train and hotel as have to stay overnight.

I made a few back end of last year but it’s very hard to do every other week.

Certainly wasn't in my original post looking to dig out individual fans - amazing you would even think of coming down from the Wirral midweek.

My memory is hazy but I just seem to remember the ground being fuller/ more atmosphere quite often in our two most recent promotion seasons (poss also the promotion season from Div 1). Of course Covid has taken its toll, and also maybe that's rose-tinted spectacles on my part - in which case I will shut up.

Don't really have a magic solution and just hope our fans do what they can - family commitments, financial pressures etc allowing - and encourage as many friends/ family/ newbies etc to come along.

Maybe the club should offer an incentive scheme the way companies do if you recommend a customer? Just a thought.
Atmosphere on 23:09 - Feb 10 with 3347 viewscolinallcars

I read that Moan United are to no longer offer season tickets to punters that turn up for less than half the home games. Well, of course that's their affair but I hope the Rangers don't consider it.
We're all aware of the many and various reasons people don't attend including the distance reason I highlighted earlier. So many more - some people have less than perfect health, work, family, financial reasons and so forth.
Atmosphere on 23:26 - Feb 10 with 3292 viewsGloryHunter

Atmosphere on 23:09 - Feb 10 by colinallcars

I read that Moan United are to no longer offer season tickets to punters that turn up for less than half the home games. Well, of course that's their affair but I hope the Rangers don't consider it.
We're all aware of the many and various reasons people don't attend including the distance reason I highlighted earlier. So many more - some people have less than perfect health, work, family, financial reasons and so forth.

That's interesting about the Man U STs. But understandable given that many of them live in Surrey or Cornwall.

Personally, in the past the only reason I have dragged myself along to some Rangers home games is because I've already paid for it (a characteristic I inherited from my famously tight father). Not this season, of course!
Atmosphere on 23:39 - Feb 10 with 3260 viewsqueensparker

Also, if you’ve got kids at school and you live in London, there’s a good chance you’re having to isolate and miss the game. Pandemic over my arse.

That’s my excuse anyway
Atmosphere on 00:03 - Feb 11 with 3204 viewsdaveB

Few of the people I sit with watch the mid week games on QPR+ as they don't want to do the travelling after work now.

I thought we were a bit crap in the stands last night, very quiet all game
Atmosphere on 02:41 - Feb 11 with 3095 viewsWirralHoop

Atmosphere on 22:58 - Feb 10 by Stainrod

Certainly wasn't in my original post looking to dig out individual fans - amazing you would even think of coming down from the Wirral midweek.

My memory is hazy but I just seem to remember the ground being fuller/ more atmosphere quite often in our two most recent promotion seasons (poss also the promotion season from Div 1). Of course Covid has taken its toll, and also maybe that's rose-tinted spectacles on my part - in which case I will shut up.

Don't really have a magic solution and just hope our fans do what they can - family commitments, financial pressures etc allowing - and encourage as many friends/ family/ newbies etc to come along.

Maybe the club should offer an incentive scheme the way companies do if you recommend a customer? Just a thought.

Cheers, I know you weren’t picking up on individuals (I’m having a crap week)

I’m not alone though, many of us have left West London, cost of living has gone through the roof as well.
Having said that it’s not just bums on seats that create an atmosphere.

I was watching on the red button, which is a plus for me but again gives folk an incentive not to go. Sky is killing so much of the game it’s scary. Yes I still pay the subscription but I’m a massive sports fan, not just football.

Anyway I’ve digressed apologies for 2:30am ramblings. I’ll be in Barnsley Saturday see some of you there.
Atmosphere on 07:18 - Feb 11 with 2936 viewsthompsonridd

Atmosphere on 22:45 - Feb 10 by GloryHunter

People round me were saying you can watch every game on the red button if you have the full Sky package. Can this be right?

It's only matches on weekdays
Atmosphere on 07:42 - Feb 11 with 2895 viewskernowhoop

Atmosphere on 07:18 - Feb 11 by thompsonridd

It's only matches on weekdays

And the red button coverage is primitive, by modern TV standards.
Atmosphere on 08:51 - Feb 11 with 2729 viewswood_hoop

I am sure I am not alone, miss going to the matches immensly, but unfortunately not now in the position to attend games.

I am extremly happy can now watch the games via QPR + whenever they are streamed in the UK or at least listen to the commentry.

Its going to be tough I feel for a while longer due to the financial strain so many are suffering and to get so many now is a bonus.

I know the atmosphere may change but then could be also due to our opposition, from what I have read on here against WBA it was supurb, but seems Boro had our measure the other night and the crowds anxiety may have filitered through more than you think.

Always enjoy reading Clive's match report and all of the 'Just Backs' it at least gives a good flavour of what it was like being at the game.
Atmosphere on 09:07 - Feb 11 with 2690 viewsRs_Holy

Atmosphere on 08:51 - Feb 11 by wood_hoop

I am sure I am not alone, miss going to the matches immensly, but unfortunately not now in the position to attend games.

I am extremly happy can now watch the games via QPR + whenever they are streamed in the UK or at least listen to the commentry.

Its going to be tough I feel for a while longer due to the financial strain so many are suffering and to get so many now is a bonus.

I know the atmosphere may change but then could be also due to our opposition, from what I have read on here against WBA it was supurb, but seems Boro had our measure the other night and the crowds anxiety may have filitered through more than you think.

Always enjoy reading Clive's match report and all of the 'Just Backs' it at least gives a good flavour of what it was like being at the game.

Agree Wood Hoop... the atmosphere can be brilliant one game and a bit flat the next... and there's no obvious reason why? If we are in and around the playoffs approaching Easter I think the atmosphere will be cranked up a lot. I love it at matches towards the end of a season when the team has something to play for and the the place is buzzing... (everything crossed for this season).
Atmosphere on 09:24 - Feb 11 with 2630 viewsTheChef

Yeah it was definitely quieter second half - crowd was more tense as Boro had most of the ball. The old conundrum of the team feeding off the fans and vice versa.

Overall though I think the atmosphere at home games has been as good if not better than compared to recent seasons. Certainly no worse. And definitely more variety in the chants given that this season most of the players have their own songs which is great, and a mark of how well the team is doing (and how much we like them!)

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Atmosphere on 09:29 - Feb 11 with 2613 viewsMrSheen

Turnout where I sit in V Block Ellerslie is very patchy for midweek games, but jam-packed on Saturdays. My observation is that there are a lot of older fans with season tickets, possibly moved away in retirement, who just can't face the journey for a night game. There's a lost opportunity there, they miss out on games they have paid for, and younger or new fans don't get a chance to enjoy it in their place. Not sure what the solution is...personally I think 46 league games is too many, but the clubs won't accept any reduction.
Atmosphere on 09:29 - Feb 11 with 2613 viewsjoe90

Atmosphere on 22:45 - Feb 10 by gigiisourgod

I wonder if the red button option to watch the games midweek has an impact

Possibly?

It's difficult to quantify the impact .

One think I think has had an impact is the cost and ease of getting a ticket.

I remember back in 97 going to Wimbledon with my brother. We just turned up and got tickets on the door. We were able to watch Premier League football with little to no planning AND it didn't cost the earth. I would have been 12 at the time. How many kids do that now?
Atmosphere on 09:30 - Feb 11 with 2607 viewssevenhoop

agreed probably due to tension, but, at the risk of being a complete bore, until we put the singing supporters in the Loft (as they used to be back in the day) we are mainly going to struggle, atmosphere-wise
Atmosphere on 09:34 - Feb 11 with 2590 viewsAntti_Heinola

Atmosphere on 00:03 - Feb 11 by daveB

Few of the people I sit with watch the mid week games on QPR+ as they don't want to do the travelling after work now.

I thought we were a bit crap in the stands last night, very quiet all game

It's interesting - I've sort of felt that a lot all season, considering how good we've been for a year and what a great team we have to watch. I wonder if it's nerves, a sort of collective sense we'll 'QPR it up' at any moment, so best not to get too over-excited and then have the inevitable disappointment. Someone near me made a sarcy, disparaging comment about a mistake at one point - he barely comes to games, and it really annoyed me, because I just feel this team deserves more. There isn't one player in the First 18-20 who I am not happy with, and every single one is comfortable on the ball, and yet people still make sneery comments because we're not watching 11 Messis.
If you think back to the championship season, the place was jumping every week. We're actually not far off the points we had at this time of season then, so it's odd there's not a bit more excitement. Everyone's worried about Forest, Boro and Sheff U as well as those around us, I guess, but still.
I also wonder how much the lack of just regular Saturday avo games has put our own fans off the rhythm.
Having said all the above, our away following is magnificent. So God knows!

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024