Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andre Gray 19:15 - Apr 10 with 3561 viewsbosh67

23 games (not all in the starting line up) 8 goals. I know he seems to divide a lot of fans and he does seem prone to the odd good sulk but overall I have to say, probably in the minority on here, that I think he has been effective. He is very confident generally in front of goal. You feel when he is on the ball in a good position that he will hit the target.

So I am going to stand up, probably on my own, and say that when he came in I didn't really rate him because of his off field past, but here I am, probably in a minority of one, saying I think he's pretty good at this level. If we actually adjusted to give him better service I think he would score more goals. Right, okay, that's it, I'm sitting down again, in silence.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Andre Gray on 19:57 - Apr 10 with 2968 viewsNorthernr

It's not a bad goalscoring record really. He's been ok. Dykes and Austin have been the problem, not him. If they'd continued the form they showed at the back end of last season, both when they played together in a two or interchangeable, then Gray's contribution of like you say eight goals in 23 starts and a load of sub apps would basically be exactly what we signed him for.

The two things he does that annoy me are...

You see him when he's interested, at Luton away, his old club, point to prove, and he was excellent. Battering the defenders, running the channels, working hard, an absolute pain in the ars. Then you see him at Barnsley - doesn't want to be there, doesn't want to know. We get one of the former for every three of the latter.

The constant bitching and moaning and flailing arms and woe is me everybody else is terrible. I appreciate the service to our strikers back half of this season has been complete crap, and it must be frustrating particularly as a guy who was brought in to supposedly run in behind onto early ball. But yesterday Sam Field, brilliant, took a quick free kick, got him clean through on the goalkeeper one on one and he fcked it up. Two minutes later Field chose to hang onto a ball, and go a different way, rather than slide him in again, and he had an absolute benny about it. Well, I'm sorry mate, but you got your early ball a minute ago and fcked the thing up, don't be bitching and moaning at our best player for not giving it you a second time.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Andre Gray on 19:59 - Apr 10 with 2948 viewsdmm

I think Dykes has around the same goals to games ratio as Gray. They're both about 1 in 3.
Andre Gray on 20:02 - Apr 10 with 2940 viewsNorthernr

Andre Gray on 19:59 - Apr 10 by dmm

I think Dykes has around the same goals to games ratio as Gray. They're both about 1 in 3.

Yes but look at Dykes over the season. Almost all of his goals are in a clump in the autumn when he looked interested. Nine for club and country in 14 games from August 14 to October 14. Since then three in 22. None in his last eight.

I've said it a few times but go back and watch the highlights from Preston at home. Where's that monster gone? I only see it now when fcking Scotland have a friendly.

Andre Gray on 20:29 - Apr 10 with 2857 viewsQPROslo

Yes I thought he should have started Gray yesterday or at least brought him on earlier. He looks the only one of our strikers likely to score at the moment, and he did.
Andre Gray on 20:30 - Apr 10 with 2848 viewsParkRoyalR

Andre Gray on 20:02 - Apr 10 by Northernr

Yes but look at Dykes over the season. Almost all of his goals are in a clump in the autumn when he looked interested. Nine for club and country in 14 games from August 14 to October 14. Since then three in 22. None in his last eight.

I've said it a few times but go back and watch the highlights from Preston at home. Where's that monster gone? I only see it now when fcking Scotland have a friendly.

None in his last eight isn't good for Dykes but post Forest injury he has struggled to get back to match fitness and outscoring Gray isn't too shabby given when firing he offers a lot more to our team play, plus he's on probably a third of Gray's wages.

I've never thought he does n't look interested, maybe lacking in confidence at times, but I've always had him down as a trier.
Andre Gray on 20:52 - Apr 10 with 2792 viewseghamranger

How many pens? 3?

He’s not exactly value for money for a mid table team
Andre Gray on 21:49 - Apr 10 with 2637 viewsMyke

Andre Gray on 20:52 - Apr 10 by eghamranger

How many pens? 3?

He’s not exactly value for money for a mid table team

2 pens I think, Luton and yesterday. That doesn't really bother me. Strikers need to score goals however they get them. Pens alone were keeping Dykes stats reasonable until he got motoring after christmas las season. Charlie always took our pens and Taarrabt/Helguson shared them.
For me a limited striker who never stops trying (Mackie for example, perhaps Thomas is of the same ilk) is more valuable ( and better bang for your buck) than a quality striker than can only occasionally be motivated. When they are paid professionals like Gray they should be bang at it every game. How dare he pick and choose which games he makes an effort in and which ones he can't be arsed. His wages should be paid accordingly. It would not work in any other profession. Just take Clive's reports as an example; they have remained of an exemplary high standard. It would have been easy to coat off the performances of the team in the games against Barnsley, Peterboro and a few others with a few sarcastic remarks and leave it at that, but he sets himself far higher standards than that. It is a pity Gray would not follow his example. Gray is not the only one by any means, but the thread is about him.
Andre Gray on 21:57 - Apr 10 with 2610 viewsNorthernr

Andre Gray on 21:49 - Apr 10 by Myke

2 pens I think, Luton and yesterday. That doesn't really bother me. Strikers need to score goals however they get them. Pens alone were keeping Dykes stats reasonable until he got motoring after christmas las season. Charlie always took our pens and Taarrabt/Helguson shared them.
For me a limited striker who never stops trying (Mackie for example, perhaps Thomas is of the same ilk) is more valuable ( and better bang for your buck) than a quality striker than can only occasionally be motivated. When they are paid professionals like Gray they should be bang at it every game. How dare he pick and choose which games he makes an effort in and which ones he can't be arsed. His wages should be paid accordingly. It would not work in any other profession. Just take Clive's reports as an example; they have remained of an exemplary high standard. It would have been easy to coat off the performances of the team in the games against Barnsley, Peterboro and a few others with a few sarcastic remarks and leave it at that, but he sets himself far higher standards than that. It is a pity Gray would not follow his example. Gray is not the only one by any means, but the thread is about him.

That point about Mackie and players like that - v v valuable to a club in our situation battling the odds and the budgets. Can we afford somebody who plays well one in four? I don’t think so. Look at a limited but hard working striker like Matt Godden, far more valuable than Gray who scores you the goal of the season at Derby and then you don’t see him for 3 weeks.
Login to get fewer ads

Andre Gray on 22:08 - Apr 10 with 2570 viewsMyke

Andre Gray on 21:57 - Apr 10 by Northernr

That point about Mackie and players like that - v v valuable to a club in our situation battling the odds and the budgets. Can we afford somebody who plays well one in four? I don’t think so. Look at a limited but hard working striker like Matt Godden, far more valuable than Gray who scores you the goal of the season at Derby and then you don’t see him for 3 weeks.

What's your view on Thomas, Clive? Is he another Washington (or worse hasn't actually scored at all) or is it a case of just getting that first goal to get him up and running. I love his endeavour, feel he should have got more game time, but man he has missed some very presentable chances. Could have had a hatrick in a few minutes with more composure against Stoke (I think). Takes that chance at Fulham and suddenly it's a different game, with a full house rocking. Is there a Championship player in there? Does Warburton really believe in him?
Andre Gray on 22:34 - Apr 10 with 2487 viewsNorthernr

Andre Gray on 22:08 - Apr 10 by Myke

What's your view on Thomas, Clive? Is he another Washington (or worse hasn't actually scored at all) or is it a case of just getting that first goal to get him up and running. I love his endeavour, feel he should have got more game time, but man he has missed some very presentable chances. Could have had a hatrick in a few minutes with more composure against Stoke (I think). Takes that chance at Fulham and suddenly it's a different game, with a full house rocking. Is there a Championship player in there? Does Warburton really believe in him?

Taking the last point first, no he doesn’t or he’d have played.
I think he could have been very useful to us as an impact sub spelling Chair and Willock, particularly away from home and particularly when holding narrow leads and needing to get out and up the pitch.
But I’m not sure he’s that good.
Andre Gray on 22:36 - Apr 10 with 2481 viewsdaveB

I thought he was good when he came on yesterday, brought a bit of life to the attack, we looked areal threat the last 20 minutes. He should have scored that one on one chance though, different game if we get back to 2-1 with 15 mins left.
Andre Gray on 23:25 - Apr 10 with 2397 viewsLythamR

I dont think our problems really lie with either Gray or Dykes

I would gestitulate for the ball ro be play to me particularly when i know i am going to be caleed a cu(t or waste of spave if i dont score

our real problems lie further back
Andre Gray on 06:07 - Apr 11 with 2209 viewsHooparoo

Surely in the modern game there should be goals from all over as it was for us earlier in the season. We’re not getting any from midfield lately and our set pieces seem to have fallen apart so no goals there either.

Totally perplexed at why we’ve fallen off a cliff and if I was one of the owners I’d be demanding answers.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Andre Gray on 10:23 - Apr 11 with 1910 viewsbakerloo8

Gray 1 goal every 150 minutes
Dykes 1 goal every 269.
Austin 1 goal every 283.

Gray isn't the answer to our prayers, but he isn't the problem.
Andre Gray on 10:23 - Apr 11 with 1911 viewsHooping_Mad

Has the system we've been struggling to play, which is creating less and less chances having an effect on his runs?

Or is he keeping himself fit for a potential move in the summer. An injury now could cost him a signing fee. I can at least understand that.

Probably both, don't think we've seen him give 100%. Does that mean he wants a contract with us? I doubt it.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Andre Gray on 10:40 - Apr 11 with 1865 viewsNorthernr

Andre Gray on 10:23 - Apr 11 by bakerloo8

Gray 1 goal every 150 minutes
Dykes 1 goal every 269.
Austin 1 goal every 283.

Gray isn't the answer to our prayers, but he isn't the problem.

Exactly that.
Andre Gray on 10:50 - Apr 11 with 1836 viewsdaveB

Gray has only started 13 games, overall he's been a good signing really, best of the 3 strikers this season imo although it's not a high bar any of them have set. 3 in his last 4 starts for us, 4 in last 6 appearances.

In a must win game at the weekend I can't believe we went with Chair up front when we had Gray and Austin on the bench, even when they both came on it was 10 minutes later than it should have been and Gray scored one and caused them a few problems.
Andre Gray on 11:31 - Apr 11 with 1735 viewsParkRoyalR

Goal ratio's are important for forwards but in a team that was free-scoring up to Willock's injury, its not the be all and end all.

I think 1JD made a very good point some time back that a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 return for a forward who leads the line, does'nt let the opposition centre halves walk into the midfield, lets the 10's play-off him etc is playing a key part in the team.

With Willock and Dykes injured at same time, we had no cutting edge in attack (Willock) and in home games against the likes of Peterborough, it was noticeable how Peterborough's Centre Halves just walked past Gray and overloaded our midfield.

I think its slightly missing the point in saying Gray scored on Saturday when he missed a very easy chance to get us back in the game which could have made the difference, as opposed to a consolation penalty in the last minute.

Forwards like Gray & Austin, who contribute so little in open play, have to be returning a 1 in 2 ratio as they offer nothing out of possession.

The Full Hughill is not a prolific goal-scoring Centre Forward but would have suited our system far better than Gray, who's only in recent games got up to any semblance of fitness.

Lack of fitness of our forwards was bound to be our undoing this season, I could see this many months ago and its culminated in Warburton being forced to start Chair as 2nd Forward on Saturday rather than Gray and Austin, who he is no doubt seeing struggle for fitness in training every day, as we do on match-days.
Andre Gray on 11:34 - Apr 11 with 1726 viewssprocket

Even if we wanted to keep him doubt we can afford his wages unless we sell. Not sure we should be committing to a 30+ yo striker who only turns up every now and then. Might go back to Burnley next season is my prediction
Andre Gray on 12:11 - Apr 11 with 1646 viewsDamo1962

I reckon he is an SNP Fifth Columnist 😉 Like you I believe he doesn't care enough about us, and is only interested in Scotland. Hopefully one of the big clubs up there will take him off our hands in the summer - for a profit though. We really need to up our game as a club when it comes to signing strikers.
Andre Gray on 12:31 - Apr 11 with 1610 viewsnumptydumpty

Sir Les himself got stick from quite few fans for being lazy bugger.

He clearly not at that level but can finish well at times and seen as he come off bench at his scoring ratio is best at the club and without great service also.

In a better team could be 15 to 20 goal a season player ie more chances.

Yes he has missed a few but all strikers do.

More disappointed with Dykes and Austin

Dykes at start of season was very optimistic but his work rate as well as goals ratio become very disappointing.

Austin. Only wanted join if we were showing ambition. We did and players like him have let us down. Clearly overweight and I not buy this he is older and not what he was. In footballing terms as a 31 year old, that still an age when you would expect players to still be performing at the level they attained when they were 25. If he had not been such a legend from seasons back this man would be getting pelters and tbh rightly so sadly.

Gray when he does finish, he is the best and most clinical striker we have.

He does do quite a few runs per game but our midfield not up to the standard to provide many opportunities.

I not mind his anger at others not providing him opportunities. Quite right tbf.

The problems lie elsewhere

Andre Gray is not the problem at all.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 12:34]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Andre Gray on 12:36 - Apr 11 with 1599 viewsLazyFan

Gray has done okay. But remember we are paying a lot for him as he's not cheap. And I do not see him playing like a Prem striker (as that's what he's supposed to be). Rather a standard veteran Champ player, when there are plenty of those about.

I worry if we did sign him perm, he would end up like Austin and be done. I think we should sign youngsters now as they have a possible resell value. I would even sign Sanderson as long as he's cheap, I see potential there. But only see Gray going backwards rather than forwards. Exceptions to the rule being Barbs and Uncle.

I think we should look elsewhere in the summer.

zzzzzzzzzz

Andre Gray on 13:47 - Apr 11 with 1507 viewsswisscottage

For me Dykes always seems to need two or three games to get him into the zone and needs to play continuous runs of games.
Andre Gray on 13:55 - Apr 11 with 1478 viewsTheChef

In this situation you feel it's a case of what might have been with Hugill. And yes I know he has scored bugger all this season, but sometimes a player just fits a team.

But probably on stupid wages anyway.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Andre Gray on 15:22 - Apr 11 with 1384 viewsBklynRanger

He's improved in the last few months since that cup game where he was unwilling and then unable to bother a League 1 defence for even a second. That was truly pitiful.

The goal at Derby did seem to help him but I continue to wonder if he's lived up to those words afterwards about having put off getting fit and now he was really going to do it. I don't see much physical change - the bloke is a unit naturally but he might look more at home on a rugby pitch than a football pitch these days.

So I think overall he's been decent but you do wonder how much value we've got out of that money. Could say the same for one or two other players though, and with a lot more clarity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024