Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not buying the not able to buy argument 23:23 - Apr 10 with 5944 viewsMyke

Never felt really comfortable with the concept that we can't compete with Fulham, Bournemouth etc budget wise therefore cannot expect to compete with them on the pitch. For virtually every QPR fan the recent game with Fulham was a foregone conclusion because 'Mitrovic' cost 18 mill' etc etc - how can we compete with that? Then they get comfortably beaten by a team with a smaller budget than ours. The game was over inside 25 minutes. And it was not a once off. Barnsley went within four minutes of beating them. Blackpool (just up from League 1 after a torrid few years) fell behind to a Mitrovic strike even earlier than we did, but battled back for a creditable draw. Luton (one of the smallest budgets in the league but in the play-offs) also fell behind to a Mitrovic strike but equalised. With Bournemouth, there are numerous more examples.
On any given day, with the right effort, attitude and application any club can beat any other - even 'moneybags' Fulham. I have seen next season written off already as a foregone conclusion with Fulham, Burnley (or Everton) and Watford a shoe-in. They are not, as SU are showing this year. We have as much chance as anyone of we give it a real go - just as we were this season until the end of January. For weeks now we have not been brave enough or intense enough (for reasons speculated on to death) and the results reflect this. But I don't accept that our squad 'cannot compete' against the Fulham's of the world. In the transfer market maybe, but on the pitch, over 90 minutes, 11 men against 11- not having it.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 23:31 - Apr 10 with 3532 viewsLythamR

Good for you, let us know how it works out
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 00:20 - Apr 11 with 3413 viewsstainrods_elbow

A rare voice of sanity, unlike the default defeatism taken up by our manager from time to time and a number of posters here. Of course, the more people manage down expectations, the less scrutiny they will come under (or so they hope). It's amazing how this simple manoevure goes uncritiqued.

Our catastrophic falling-off of form this season has far less to do with budgets and far more to do with failing form/fitness, inadequate coaching and organisation, and a loss of nerve.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2022 0:21]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 00:26 - Apr 11 with 3425 viewsSydneyRs

While what you say is true for one off games, there's a reason why the richest two clubs in the division have the auto spots.

We're both out of form and out of luck with a terrible injury situation.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 04:55 - Apr 11 with 3329 viewsdavman

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 00:26 - Apr 11 by SydneyRs

While what you say is true for one off games, there's a reason why the richest two clubs in the division have the auto spots.

We're both out of form and out of luck with a terrible injury situation.

This. Someone said to me once that the reason you get fewer foregone conclusions in cup games is that there is little difference between all professional sportsman on a one off game; the difference is always in consistency. Over the odd game here or there, of course we can compete; it's 11 v 11 after all. HOWEVER, over a 46 game season those who can perform consistently and who have massive squads to deal with the inevitable injuries and suspensions will generally rise to the top.

Of course there's a chance, but it's a f-in slim one.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 07:47 - Apr 11 with 3187 viewsswitchingcode

I think Brentford are a good example to support your opinion.Never had parachute payments but had a plan that took 8 seasons in the championship to get to the Premier League.This season never been in the bottom 3 and look like finishing in around 12th despite having by far the lowest budget smallest ground and fan base.Not bragging just giving some balance and hope for small clubs.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:03 - Apr 11 with 3154 viewsdaveB

of course in a one off game you can compete with the best but think if you do lose to them it's no disgrace. We had our chances against them last week as well, Thomas two chances go a foot the other way we get level even in the away game although we lost heavily in the end we were at 1-1 and on top for a spell in the game.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:20 - Apr 11 with 3112 viewsdistortR

Yeah, the genesis of our problem comes from not doing the right things when we first came down.

Now, if we supported WBA I think we would have more to complain about.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:21 - Apr 11 with 3107 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Of all the inalienable truths out there, the one you can bank on 99.9% of the time is that the league table doesn’t lie.

Sure you might get a freakish Leicester City event, but the balance eventually restores the order to normal within a short space of time.

There is usually a causal effect between abundance of wealth off the pitch with that on it, subject to the amount of idiocy, incompetence and general careless managing those assets, positions in leagues and silverware are measured accordingly.

In simple terms: Manchester City and Chelsea were going nowhere until obscene cash flow in was able to pay and acquire some fabulous assets to play with.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:25 - Apr 11 with 3091 viewsdistortR

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:21 - Apr 11 by PlanetHonneywood

Of all the inalienable truths out there, the one you can bank on 99.9% of the time is that the league table doesn’t lie.

Sure you might get a freakish Leicester City event, but the balance eventually restores the order to normal within a short space of time.

There is usually a causal effect between abundance of wealth off the pitch with that on it, subject to the amount of idiocy, incompetence and general careless managing those assets, positions in leagues and silverware are measured accordingly.

In simple terms: Manchester City and Chelsea were going nowhere until obscene cash flow in was able to pay and acquire some fabulous assets to play with.

Last sentence should include 'and Danny Drinkwater'
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:36 - Apr 11 with 3060 viewsNorthernr

Coventry are a good example. They've beaten Fulham twice this season, outplayed them both times, but over the course of a whole season their squad doesn't have the depth or quality to perform consistently for 46 games, whereas Fulham's does.

It is of course not impossible. Barnsley showed it last season, Luton this, Coventry aren't a bad bet to have a good dig next season if they can get some better centre backs. We absolutely should not be defeatist about it, there has to be more for us than simply staying in the Champ every year. You can outfox lazy clubs like West Brom with clever recruitment (we're above them and have beaten them).

But it is difficult, and getting more so, you only need look at the teams going up and down over the last few years to see that.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:55 - Apr 11 with 3026 viewsdavman

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:36 - Apr 11 by Northernr

Coventry are a good example. They've beaten Fulham twice this season, outplayed them both times, but over the course of a whole season their squad doesn't have the depth or quality to perform consistently for 46 games, whereas Fulham's does.

It is of course not impossible. Barnsley showed it last season, Luton this, Coventry aren't a bad bet to have a good dig next season if they can get some better centre backs. We absolutely should not be defeatist about it, there has to be more for us than simply staying in the Champ every year. You can outfox lazy clubs like West Brom with clever recruitment (we're above them and have beaten them).

But it is difficult, and getting more so, you only need look at the teams going up and down over the last few years to see that.

Exactly my point. Not IMPOSSIBLE (yet), but already highly improbable. On a small squad to maintain a charge you need luck - injuries, timing of fixtures (get the relegated clubs early and the promoted ones late for example), big teams off form, etc., etc.

By the way WBA will be better next season, just like Bournemouth were this year AND they'll still have money to spend...

Can we go out yet?

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 10:15 - Apr 11 with 2891 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 07:47 - Apr 11 by switchingcode

I think Brentford are a good example to support your opinion.Never had parachute payments but had a plan that took 8 seasons in the championship to get to the Premier League.This season never been in the bottom 3 and look like finishing in around 12th despite having by far the lowest budget smallest ground and fan base.Not bragging just giving some balance and hope for small clubs.

But you have a competent owner.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 10:40 - Apr 11 with 2856 viewsNorthernr

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 10:15 - Apr 11 by Wegerles_Stairs

And still took them 8 seasons like he says.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 12:54 - Apr 11 with 2642 viewsswitchingcode

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 10:15 - Apr 11 by Wegerles_Stairs

Who didn’t sack the manager after losing 8 out 10 games
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 13:18 - Apr 11 with 2568 viewsPunteR

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 10:40 - Apr 11 by Northernr

Pretty sure it's taken them about 100 years to get into the prem. Let's see Brentford maintain the Premier league status before noshing them off.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 13:45 - Apr 11 with 2484 viewsSuperhoop83

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 08:36 - Apr 11 by Northernr

By way of example, every player in the Fulham side that beat us recently would walk into the QPR first 11.

I'm not sure even Willock would keep his place if fit, but he should get on the bench.

Suffering since 1978.

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 13:54 - Apr 11 with 2461 viewsTheChef

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 13:18 - Apr 11 by PunteR

Pretty sure it's taken them about 100 years to get into the prem. Let's see Brentford maintain the Premier league status before noshing them off.

Unfortunately barring a major collapse or the teams below going on an amazing run of wins, they will stay up.

This was not supposed to happen!!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 15:45 - Apr 11 with 2358 viewsPunteR

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 13:54 - Apr 11 by TheChef

Unfortunately barring a major collapse or the teams below going on an amazing run of wins, they will stay up.

This was not supposed to happen!!!

They will stay up this season for sure but one season in the top league doesn't make them anything special. Let's see how things pan out for them over the next few years.

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 15:54 - Apr 11 with 2325 viewsE17hoop

When a player in a team does this in a season, it's always going to be tough:
Aleksandar Mitrovic
Goals 38
Assists 7
Played 40
Goals per 90 0.99
Minutes per goal 91
Total shots 146
Goal conversion 26%
Shot accuracy 56%

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 16:10 - Apr 11 with 2264 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 10:40 - Apr 11 by Northernr

We've been in the Championship for seven seasons now, so next season then?
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 16:22 - Apr 11 with 2235 viewsdavman

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 15:45 - Apr 11 by PunteR

They will stay up this season for sure but one season in the top league doesn't make them anything special. Let's see how things pan out for them over the next few years.

Much, much better than it did for us when we eventually got back up, I'll bet...

Can we go out yet?

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 16:48 - Apr 11 with 2200 viewsMyke

I fully acknowledge the bigger budgets mean bigger squads, better able to handle injuries and achieve the consistency required over a 46 game marathon. But my argument is that on a game by game basis (and god knows, we always hear players and management banging on about 'taking one game at a time') we should be able to compete with ANYONE, including Fulham. Going into the game yesterday, Coventry were on a four game winless run (D2L2) and therefore confidence not at its highest one could suppose. We were in a similar position; no-one gave us a prayer and so it played out. One could assume the Coventry fans were not overly optimistic, but the players said 'f**k that' and turned the form book upside down. Where has that mental toughness gone from our game? Where has that resilience, that never-say-die attitude gone? We saw it briefly versus Blackpool and Luton, but it was completely absent elsewhere - most shockingly v Peterboro.
For me, the biggest anomaly to all the theories about our collapse - be it the goalkeeping theories or losing top players to injury theories- is the month of January. We had come off the back of two home defeats (first time all season we had failed to score) had lost our No1 keeper and one of our two chief play- makers . Began the month sluggishly, just squeezing past Rotherham in a penalty shoot-out. Yet ended the month unbeaten and on the cusp of 2nd place. Yet later, when we lose Dieng through injury and our other chief play-maker also through injury, suddenly we are bereft of ideas and hope. If, as I believe is true, you can beat anyone in this division with the right desire and intensity, regardless of the exact personnel you put out on the pitch, how do we square January with what has happened since? The only logical conclusion to my argument is that we lack the mental toughness, NOT the physical ability, to succeed. Do that make the manager exempt from blame? You can make players fitter, you can make players more aware, you can improve them technically - can you make them mentally stronger?
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 18:23 - Apr 11 with 2052 viewsPunteR

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 16:22 - Apr 11 by davman

Much, much better than it did for us when we eventually got back up, I'll bet...

Yeh. Maybe. Thats not hard to do though.
They are having a good little run amongst their not very illustrious achievements. Maybe sounds like sour grapes but to stake a claim as being a top club i think they still have a way to go yet. They've done well to get out of the championship and in the manner they've done it but it will be interesting to see how they maintain it.

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 18:41 - Apr 11 with 2004 viewsswitchingcode

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 18:23 - Apr 11 by PunteR

Yeh. Maybe. Thats not hard to do though.
They are having a good little run amongst their not very illustrious achievements. Maybe sounds like sour grapes but to stake a claim as being a top club i think they still have a way to go yet. They've done well to get out of the championship and in the manner they've done it but it will be interesting to see how they maintain it.

No way was I calling Brentford a top club in fact it was the opposite.The point was that you don’t have to be a big club with money to get promoted and stay up be it possibly for just one season.We spent more money on players in our promotion season than we did in the summer when we got promoted and one more season in the PL would be fine by me as I still prefer the championship.
Not buying the not able to buy argument on 19:35 - Apr 11 with 1927 viewsPunteR

Not buying the not able to buy argument on 18:41 - Apr 11 by switchingcode

No way was I calling Brentford a top club in fact it was the opposite.The point was that you don’t have to be a big club with money to get promoted and stay up be it possibly for just one season.We spent more money on players in our promotion season than we did in the summer when we got promoted and one more season in the PL would be fine by me as I still prefer the championship.

My point is veering off topic slightly. Yes Brentford have shown you can get promoted out of the Championship by playing the long game and not fast track players into the club by spending loads of money. We are currently doing the same albeit a few years behind.
Like i say , lets see how this strategy is maintained once in the Prem.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024